IMRIS Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
2.9

Jay Miller

Useful technology in the hands of incapable senior management

Former Employee - Regional Sales Management
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Management

I worked at IMRIS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation, laisez faire management approach, relaxing atmosphere

Cons

Have to befriend senior HR as he runs the company, unreliable CEO, unstable financial situation

Sell the ship as long it is still afloat

Company lies to employees

Current Employee - Engineer in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at IMRIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the only pros I would give to IMRIS is the people at the non-management level. They are great, hard working, and very helpful. Working with these people was pleasant and I will miss working with them and I hope I will work with some of them in the future.

Cons

Back in mid-2012, myself and my fellow employees at IMRIS noticed that IMRIS was opening an office in Minneapolis and was looking for employees for that office. We also found out in mid-September through the Minnetonka city council web page that IMRIS was looking to relocate to Minnesota. So rumors were going wild in the Winnipeg office about our closure. In early October the CEO of IMRIS said that IMRIS is NOT moving to Minneapolis and will stay in Winnipeg. Then in the first week of November, we were called to a meeting and were told by HR that IMRIS is leaving Winnipeg and some will be offered jobs and some will lose their jobs.

What's really disappointing about IMRIS is that we can't trust our leader. It wasn't necessary to be lied to. And now you have people in Winnipeg who are losing their jobs training their replacements. It's like being told to live in the same home with the new lover of your significant other. Very awkward situation and poor environment. But going back to the Pros, myself and my coworkers are taking it in stride.

Be honest, we don't appreciate being lied to.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at IMRIS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Satisfying and interesting work
    Excellent cafeteria
    Flexible hours

Cons

The salary could be better ...

Only work here if you really need work.

Former Employee - Engineer in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at IMRIS

Pros

I took employment here because I couldn't find any work during the economic downturn. I did meet some great people here. However that immediately changes when you deal with managers. Managers do not support their employees, and their is a lot of backstabbing. But the sincere people there are great!

Cons

IMRIS is full of poor managers that, when push comes to shove, will consistently backstab one another and fellow employees. Leadership is nonexistent. And there is a huge push to get things done where poor results are rewarded and quality work is harassed (because it takes to long). My advice, if they offer you a job, take it, but don't ignore other offers when they come up. There is a lot of nepotism at IMRIS which I obviously cannot elaborate on. But it becomes crystal clear after working there a month. I also found that most managers had a personal agenda.

Reward people on quality accomplishments, anybody can do something poorly. I think if IMRIS focuses on making a fantastic product then hopefully people will abandon whatever personal agendas they have and become a great company.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at IMRIS

Pros

- great cafeteria
    - flexible work hours
    - good location
    - good benefits
    - building has a games room
    - nice building

Cons

- managers lead by intimidation, not inspiration
    - no rewards for hard work
    - no opportunities for advancement
    - a lot of bureaucracy for a small company
    - impossible schedules
    - lousy salaries

IMRIS needs to pay it's people well for the hard work they put in. Not compensating someone for working extra hard and extra time is just plain wrong.