IMS Consulting Group

Updated September 28, 2014
3.3

IMS Consulting Group President Gordon Carey
Gordon Carey

An organization on the verge of major transformation (in a good way)!

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Deep industry insight, contacts/experience at every pharma company on the planet, extraordinary offerings compared to other consulting firms

Cons

Consulting group is rebuilding so the culture is still in a flux. Cross-functional coordination is still a work-in-progress, but once this is addressed, it should be quite a boom time.

Continue to hire high-speed individuals. Consider doing more advertising and promotion to build the Consulting Group brand beyond just IMS Health.

Pressure Cooker Environment...Only the strong survive...Complicated Work, Must be super Intelligent to keep pace...

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Industry/Client exposure allows you to network with some fo the brightest marketers in Pharma...Paid very well...exotic travel destinations for long trips to medical conferences

Cons

Lots of travel on weekends, no comp time...high turn over so you are always training / getting to know new people and new ways of working...steep learnign curve for most puts pressure back on management to engage in the day to day work ratehr than beign able to focus on manging the flow of that work and multiple projects...Lots of hero leaders who don't accept anythign less than their best, so theya re constantly fixing your work

Put some better leadership trainign in order fr middle managers to help nurture and grow a staff rather than turnign over overy 1-3 years...

Good company

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Long hours, but interesting work and good people

Cons

Long hours are a downside

Poor senior management, but good opportunity to learn about pharma

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time

Pros

-Flexibility to work remotely, as long as you're not close to deadlines/on a project with a short timeline.
    -Excellent junior staff. All all intelligent and hard-working. The vast majority come from top schools.
    -Many learning opportunities. Very easy to take bigger roles on projects.
    -Good exposure to clients, but it is dependent on team/project manager.
    -Great opportunity to learn about pharma.
    -Solid exit opportunities in big pharma, at all levels. Employees also seem to have decent business school exit opportunities.
    -Good reputation in pharma.
    -Minimal travel.

Cons

-Senior management is terrible. They're nice people, but there's also this prevailing sentiment that "senior management is so busy that they can't be bothered to talk to you." They would often give us ad-hoc requests without enough information to complete the request successfully. They would fail to request work in advance, leaving us cramming to finish everything in a short amount of time. They don't even remember their own commitments - I once had a manager scold me for not reminding him to finish a client deliverable. Am I your office assistant?
    -You have no personal life. You are always on call. Sure, people may come into the office at 9:45 and leave at 5:30, but do expect to work at home, especially if you're on a project where the senior manager is heavily involved. I've had requests at 8pm on Sunday to finish by Monday morning. I once was placed on a hectic project where I had to get up every day at 4am to finish deliverables for a team in a different time zone. I didn't complain because I felt so bad for my project manager, who would send me messages at 3am her time. Somehow, I doubt the senior team cared - after all, they're only SELLING the work, not DOING it.
    -Learning opportunities are only in pharma (at least in the US), something I did not realize when I signed with IMS. It's a shame, because I really wanted to learn more about the patient/physician side.
    -Bonuses are a joke. I don't understand how a bonus so small is any incentive to work harder.

-Attrition rate is horrible. In 1 year, 75% of people hired were gone. In 2 years, 90% of people hired were gone. I think IMS does a great job of hiring smart people, but smart people aren't going to stay if they have better exit opportunities. Here is what can make IMS more attractive to new hires:
    -Reevaluate senior management. Maybe they're great at selling work, but they're impossible to work with. Evaluate their performance on not just how much work they sell, but also how good they are at interacting with people lower in the organization. Poor senior management is the number 1 reason I left.
    -Improve salaries and salary growth. Why stay at IMS when I can change careers, get a starting salary 1.5-2x what I had, and then get much better salary growth every year?
    -Alternately, promote work-life balance. I realize top-tier consulting firms are horrible at this as well, but they pay at least 33% more than IMS (starter salary) and have fewer "filler roles" like "Senior Consultant".

Relaxed atmosphere, great junior staff, some good seflexible (although sometimes strenuous hours), very minimal travel

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Generally a relaxed atmosphere and a good group of colleagues. I found some of the projects to be interesting, but you really have to get to know appropriate seniors and make an effort to be staffed on the projects which are most interesting.
    Decent time off: ~15 days a year plus bank holidays
    Compensation: We recently had a firm-wide compensation adjustment-- upwards for most people. Generally compensations is significantly less than top tier firms e.g. McKinsey, BCG;; however, it's comparable to smaller firms in the same space e.g. Simon Kucher, Clearview, etc.

Cons

Compensation could be a bit better. Promotions can be political
    The culture has been on decline over the last few years as the company has grown. Feels more anonymous and corporate. That said, still a fairly relaxed culture

Try to hold on to small company feel.

Pretty good environment and laid back staff but work diversity is poor and management quality is inconsistent

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at IMS Consulting Group (more than an year)

Pros

No face time policy. Can leave if done with work. People here are generally pretty flexible and fun.

Very little travel and can often work from home.

People are generally friendly and fun.

Cons

Work can be very tedious because all the projects are pretty much the same. The projects are rarely strategic in nature.

Some of the senior managers aren't very good at managing teams. The firm in general is very disorganized.

Training isn't great probably at least partly because managers are so disorganized and inexperienced at managing and developing teams.

Low yield rate from on campus recruiting and internship program is concerning. Seems like people only accept an offer if this is their only option.

Get better senior managers. There are too many that are very mediocre. Also, too many with no MBA or management experience so even if they know the subject matter well, they can't lead a team.

Some senior people are too arrogant considering they work at a relatively unknown firm. This isn't McKinsey so stop being so pretentious.

Good place if you want to stay happy but your professional aspirations are limited

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Overall, its a knowledge house with data oozing out of consultants ears. If you spend enough time here, you are bound to develop a good understanding of the pharmaceutical industry. Access to IMS Health databases are a huge advantage for the consulting group

- Generally, new hires are smart - coming out of top colleges or grad schools

- Slowly, very slowly clients trusting IMS with less tactical and more strategic stuff. One-off good strategy project here and there

- Culture really good and people are nice and fun-loving

- Mostly able to expense dinners through Seamless in the New York office

- Put focus on people development. Trainings are mostly good

Cons

- Experience provided to consultants and kind of projects undertaken resemble a market research firm. Junior team members get limited to no client interaction (except SF office). Most projects involve talking to doctors or insurers over the phone, crunching numbers and manufacturing slides

- Long hours especially for junior members of the team. Deliverable development a ridiculously insane iterative process (typical to most consulting firms). Unique thing compared to other consulting firms would be - no bench time between projects and working on so many projects/proposals at the same time. Staffing is a well-oiled machine which does not let anyone sit idle for an hour. Its a good thing for the company but employees get burned out

- Attrition levels have jumped up recently. HR unable to attract talent in campus recruitment as is evident by very low yields

- Compensation not competitive - performance bonus a big joke... good starting salary to attract talent initially but negligible salary growth

- Slow career growth - too many years between levels and additional unwanted layers (such as Senior Consultant), which usually do not exist in other consulting firms

I am positive about the growth of this company. It will do financially well... might not be the best place for people to gain good consulting experience.. but business will do well.

Great culture, but work hard

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Great culture and people
    Very flexible work location and times - working remotely is common
    Very little travel

Cons

Work hours can get extremely long

Good experience if you enjoy pharma, but not enough project diversity to gain a broader understanding of healthcare

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility to work remotely, smart and competent people, good office culture, interesting things happening on the data side (but integration of the company is so poor that it's hard to gain insight and exposure to the data side of the business)

Cons

Lack of project diversity, many of the projects can be repetitive and tactical rather than strategic and big-picture, poor integration across different service groups as well as between service groups and IMS's data assets

Work on better integration of the business and focus on building up one company with one brand

Disjointed teams with numbers as the sole driver

I worked at IMS Consulting Group

Pros

As in all companies, there are some very good people--smart, strategic and fun. These people make the environment tolerable. The strategic nature of the work in CG is challenging and invigorating.

Cons

There have been so many changes in the past year that the vision is no longer clear, which is felt by most on the team. The onboarding and training process is poor (although they are trying to fix that).

Communicate changes and vision effectively. Help the variety of internal businesses work better together.