IMS Health

IMS Health Chairman and CEO Ari Bousbib

Ari Bousbib

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Part of small company acquired by IMS - Still feel somewhat isolated

Senior Database Analyst (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsIMS is big company with a lot of employee benefits. There are a lot of resources available to employees for both professional and personal use. Working from home is an option for many teams within IMS. Career advancement seems to be encouraged and opportunities are available within the company.

ConsSince IMS is so large, sometimes you feel like you are just another number. I don't know what a lot of my colleagues actually do and I'm sure many of them don't know much about my department.

Solid company with great potential

Director (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsEngaging work and interesting projects; very smart colleagues who have a willingness to help each other; strong upside within this particular industry; excellent opportunity to work remotely; one of the few companies that still offers a pension PLUS a 401(K) to employees.

ConsNow that the company is publicly traded - it needs to implement a long-term stock incentive (LTI) initiative. There has not been any communication in this regard and it needs to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate and implement an employee LTI plan as soon as possible.

A good place

Engagement Manager (Current Employee)
    Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsDecent, competent and smart people at all levels. Solid culture of respect and recognition of talent and hard work.

ConsIntegration of acquired companies is slow, collaboration difficult.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid data business...needs fresh ideas from experienced managers

Engagement Manager (Former Employee)
    Plymouth Meeting, PA

Prosgood processes and procedures within the data business - recently the organization has been focusing on acquisitions in order to diversify its business. strong knowledge on pharma and stronger hold on pharma companies that most of players in the space...

Conspoorly executed integration...lots of red tape...you are just a number so do not be surprised if you are relocated, removed, or reassigned without notice. emerging business areas are not thought through...lots of smoke and mirrors...

Advice to Senior Managementbring in experienced senior managers to run different businesses

Mixed bag, your experience with this company will be what you make of it.

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Phila, PA

ProsLarge company with room to move around internally

ConsSalary discrepancies and overcoming previous perceptions

Very unorganized- departments do not share information

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsGood people working, but there is a lot of uncertainty in resources available to conduct work. Training is negligent.

ConsDepartments could work together easier. Seems some areas are secretive of information / data available.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not rely on SMEs or groups that provide the higher income (higher potential sales and more clients) and instead relies on bureaucracy.

Very strong company and a good place to work.

Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros-fast paced environment is good for those with a strong work ethic
    -interesting and challenging work
    -friendly and collaborative environment
    -you are given autonomy to take care of your workload; not much micro-managing from what I can tell
    -always something to learn
    -generally, management is good about communicating with its employees regarding individual / departmental performance, and also regarding the overall state / direction of the company
    -informative town hall meetings inform any employee who wishes to attend about the state of the company / business unit on a quarterly basis
    -a true "global" atmosphere and model...offers opportunity to gain international experience
    -solid benefits
    -very good HR and recruiting departments
    -payscale has been improving for most positions to be on par with competitor companies
    -very strong vacation, work from home, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans
    -very profitable company and most business units hit most to all of their bonus targets
    -company has grown by 10% + revenue in each of past 3 years, while remaining very lean

Cons-like any mid-sized company, politics sometimes come in to play; can be difficult to introduce new ideas or push your initiatives into play if senior management disagrees
    -many contractors uncertain if / when they can become full time
    -can be difficult to tell best way for individual advancement within the company
    -some uncertainty with pending purchase / IPO of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent to the employees.

Frustrating at times, but a notable improvement vs. 2 years ago. Employees have to be in it for the long haul.

Technical Architect (Current Employee)
    Collegeville, PA

Pros+ Work / Life balance in most non-consulting positions
    + Death-march projects are rare to non-existent. Putting your career on cruise-control is possible while still inching up the compensation ladder.
    + Benefits
    + In all but one role I've been in, the immediate co-workers and managers watch your back

Cons- Career advancement is slow paced; much like the environment.
    - Autonomy has to be fiercely fought for and defended at every turn.
    - Technologist culture is still stuck back in the 80's, but at least now pays lip service to modernity.
    - Sr. Management still has no good way to accurately value knowledge workers. In-sourcing to India is an overall improvement vs outsourcing, but still can't compare to real, co-located development teams in the US and EMEA where the majority of development is done.
    - Many of the highest value employees have found that the only way to get proper compensation is to leave and come back, or leave and become a consultant; many just simply leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is still an inconsistency between the stated strategies of product leadership and customer centricity and the actual budgets. There's a difference between being cost conscious and being penny-wise, pound-poor. We employees need to hear that while top-line driven EBITDA growth is the motive, and will drive the terminal value when the company is sold / re-IPO'ed, it's not the goal. Revenue growth isn't treated like a consequence of the right strategy and action.
    The "hub and spoke" model is still resulting in functional silos and is frankly not working. I strongly believe that all portfolio and infrastructure projects can be done in a local, federated fashion by co-located teams and that technology principles and standards can drive consistency and reuse internationally. If we are a technology company, and our success is measured by the amount of functionality within working software that we deliver, then we need to abandon the silo-ed approach and hire more, real software developers who are generalists and polyglots.

Exciting work place

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsFull liberty to innovate, scope to grow, fast growing company,

ConsNone, I can't thin of any cons working in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good only on your resume

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood benefits, great work from home policy, friendly people

Cons-They do not promote lower level employees and hire outside - turned down for 2 positions in favor of outside hires, one of which was a referal who was fired after 2 months
    -Not innovative, work on same things over and over
    -Poor at hiring: Will say anything to get top notch employees, and than will give them remedial work

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, promote innovation, consider the qualifications of employees before hiring them

Worked for IMS Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IMS Health reviews and ratings in Philadelphia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IMS Health CEO Ari Bousbib. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by IMS Health employees.