IMS Health Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated August 6, 2014
3.1

IMS Health Chairman and CEO Ari Bousbib
Ari Bousbib

Pros
  • Ability to telecommute greatly helps work-life balance (in 28 reviews)

• very strong vacation, work from home, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor transition of senior management following acquisition be capital venture (in 13 reviews)

• No work-life balance, unrealistic deadlines with not enough resources (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IMS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at IMS Health full-time

Pros

Growing company that offers great work life balance, flexibility to move within the organization, and the people provide a great work atmosphere.

Cons

Frequent acquisitions and the internal processes can make it difficult to navigate through the organization.

Excellent place to start my career

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

From my first day Interviewing with IMS to my first day on the job, I felt welcomed and felt like I was really part of the family. The atmosphere is very accepting and laid back, while still very career driven and work focused. Everyone is very good at what they do and are willing to teach you to make sure you understand/ feel comfortable with your position. There are many opportunites for advancement as well as opportunites for learning growth. You can find people who have worked here their entire career, with people here for about 40+ years. Their client offerings are innovative and exceptional. They are one of the biggest players in the healthcare data field and they deserve all the praise they recieve. Wonderful place to work. Highly reccommend.

Cons

There is a bit of disorganization sometimes in respects to the building assignments for departments, however they offer so much opportunity for working from home it balances out.

Pick a location!! You cannot just keep moving people all around.

Part of small company acquired by IMS - Still feel somewhat isolated

Current Employee - Senior Database Analyst  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

IMS is big company with a lot of employee benefits. There are a lot of resources available to employees for both professional and personal use. Working from home is an option for many teams within IMS. Career advancement seems to be encouraged and opportunities are available within the company.

Cons

Since IMS is so large, sometimes you feel like you are just another number. I don't know what a lot of my colleagues actually do and I'm sure many of them don't know much about my department.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company with great potential

Current Employee - Director  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engaging work and interesting projects; very smart colleagues who have a willingness to help each other; strong upside within this particular industry; excellent opportunity to work remotely; one of the few companies that still offers a pension PLUS a 401(K) to employees.

Cons

Now that the company is publicly traded - it needs to implement a long-term stock incentive (LTI) initiative. There has not been any communication in this regard and it needs to be.

Communicate and implement an employee LTI plan as soon as possible.

A good place

Current Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent, competent and smart people at all levels. Solid culture of respect and recognition of talent and hard work.

Cons

Integration of acquired companies is slow, collaboration difficult.

Solid data business...needs fresh ideas from experienced managers

Former Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at IMS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

good processes and procedures within the data business - recently the organization has been focusing on acquisitions in order to diversify its business. strong knowledge on pharma and stronger hold on pharma companies that most of players in the space...

Cons

poorly executed integration...lots of red tape...you are just a number so do not be surprised if you are relocated, removed, or reassigned without notice. emerging business areas are not thought through...lots of smoke and mirrors...

bring in experienced senior managers to run different businesses

Mixed bag, your experience with this company will be what you make of it.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Phila, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company with room to move around internally

Cons

Salary discrepancies and overcoming previous perceptions

Very unorganized- departments do not share information

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at IMS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people working, but there is a lot of uncertainty in resources available to conduct work. Training is negligent.

Cons

Departments could work together easier. Seems some areas are secretive of information / data available.

Management does not rely on SMEs or groups that provide the higher income (higher potential sales and more clients) and instead relies on bureaucracy.

Very strong company and a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

-fast paced environment is good for those with a strong work ethic
    -interesting and challenging work
    -friendly and collaborative environment
    -you are given autonomy to take care of your workload; not much micro-managing from what I can tell
    -always something to learn
    -generally, management is good about communicating with its employees regarding individual / departmental performance, and also regarding the overall state / direction of the company
    -informative town hall meetings inform any employee who wishes to attend about the state of the company / business unit on a quarterly basis
    -a true "global" atmosphere and model...offers opportunity to gain international experience
    -solid benefits
    -very good HR and recruiting departments
    -payscale has been improving for most positions to be on par with competitor companies
    -very strong vacation, work from home, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans
    -very profitable company and most business units hit most to all of their bonus targets
    -company has grown by 10% + revenue in each of past 3 years, while remaining very lean

Cons

-like any mid-sized company, politics sometimes come in to play; can be difficult to introduce new ideas or push your initiatives into play if senior management disagrees
    -many contractors uncertain if / when they can become full time
    -can be difficult to tell best way for individual advancement within the company
    -some uncertainty with pending purchase / IPO of the company

Continue to be transparent to the employees.

Frustrating at times, but a notable improvement vs. 2 years ago. Employees have to be in it for the long haul.

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

+ Work / Life balance in most non-consulting positions
    + Death-march projects are rare to non-existent. Putting your career on cruise-control is possible while still inching up the compensation ladder.
    + Benefits
    + In all but one role I've been in, the immediate co-workers and managers watch your back

Cons

- Career advancement is slow paced; much like the environment.
    - Autonomy has to be fiercely fought for and defended at every turn.
    - Technologist culture is still stuck back in the 80's, but at least now pays lip service to modernity.
    - Sr. Management still has no good way to accurately value knowledge workers. In-sourcing to India is an overall improvement vs outsourcing, but still can't compare to real, co-located development teams in the US and EMEA where the majority of development is done.
    - Many of the highest value employees have found that the only way to get proper compensation is to leave and come back, or leave and become a consultant; many just simply leave.

There is still an inconsistency between the stated strategies of product leadership and customer centricity and the actual budgets. There's a difference between being cost conscious and being penny-wise, pound-poor. We employees need to hear that while top-line driven EBITDA growth is the motive, and will drive the terminal value when the company is sold / re-IPO'ed, it's not the goal. Revenue growth isn't treated like a consequence of the right strategy and action.
    The "hub and spoke" model is still resulting in functional silos and is frankly not working. I strongly believe that all portfolio and infrastructure projects can be done in a local, federated fashion by co-located teams and that technology principles and standards can drive consistency and reuse internationally. If we are a technology company, and our success is measured by the amount of functionality within working software that we deliver, then we need to abandon the silo-ed approach and hire more, real software developers who are generalists and polyglots.

Worked for IMS Health? Contribute to the Community!