IMS Health Reviews

293 reviews filtered by
3.2
IMS Health Chairman and CEO Ari Bousbib
Ari Bousbib

Pros
  • In consulting, you will learn things while enjoying a decent work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• very strong vacation, work from home, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Offsites for employees should be held for a better work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Poor transition of senior management following acquisition be capital venture (in 14 reviews)

1. I've worked at IMS for a long and overall, they treat their employees fairly.

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

IMS is a leading edge company as far as technology. They have never hesitated to allow us to purchase and evaluate the latest technologies from a hardware/software perspective. Working in IT, this is huge Pro.

Cons

Long hours and global company make early morning and evening meetings a normal occurrence.

Advice to Management

I believe the company should go back to sharing long term incentives with the folks that aren't VP and C level employees. Stock options or RSU's would be a great way to retain talent.

2. Inept upper management is slowly destroying an amazing company culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work-life balance
    - Company culture is amazing (inside Seattle office)
    - Engineering culture free of petty politics

Cons

- Product isn't exciting
    - IMS Health at large has vastly different culture from Seattle office
    - Upper management (outside of Seattle) is sexist and out-of-touch
    - Pay is mediocre

Advice to Management

- Make sure upper management hears our concerns
    - Don't destroy the culture of the Seattle office or you will face a mass exodus of employees

3. Senior Consultant

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting job assignments, skilled colleagues.

Cons

One Two Three Four five

Account Manger

Current Employee - Sales in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not micro manged by management but these guys are the worse team I have ever worked for. Basically you are working as as independent rep except you don't have a territory, have to punch a clock instead of a true salary.

Cons

Management team does not invest in sales management courses or training, same old recycled stuff year after year. I didn't believe a boys club exist for the inside sales team but I have witness it! New sales means new sales to the company not moving the account to some one else.

Advice to Management

Take some course and become an inspiration instead of we need x amount to hit our numbers, how about can we try this would clients be interested.

6. Financial Systems

I worked at IMS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In a profitable, stable, or slowly declining industry - primarily reliant on Big-Pharmaceutical industry profitability for their success. Big-Data environment with dynamic product portfolio and powerful IT requirements. Truly global - in over 100 countries.

Cons

Reliant on acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations and product redefinitions to obscure or hit the numbers. Exceptional compensation of very senior management. Easily swayed into believing their own understanding of the value of the complicated product lines and puzzled when the market does not see the same value.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should keep doing what their doing.. and they are getting rich. Try doing things the same way for a few years in order to see where real value and true problems exist.

7. Biggest company in the industry , some great people and great assets

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rich resources and opportunities to learn if you are looking to challenge yourself and have an intellectual curiosity.

Cons

Big company issues, not a reactive or nimble as it should be for a company that sees itself as a technology leader

Advice to Management

Multiple systems are used for tracking the same projects, these are adding overhead and sapping efficiency. Streamline and allow your people to take on the responsibility.

Stay away unless you are going into consulting

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at IMS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are on the consulting side of the business, that is probably the only area that is allowed to grow within the United States.

They do offer 401k matching and a pension.

Vacation benefits are slightly above average, but there are many restrictions on when you can use them and many years you will not be able to take all your vacation time.

Lower level managers do what they can and every one I worked for was extremely personable and supportive. I believe they are using the hand they are dealt to the best of their abilities, but there is very little room for flexibility and innovation.

The business itself is extremely stable, as IMS Health essentially has a monopoly in the sector that they operate in. Their data is critical to the pharmaceutical companies and people that buy their data.

Cons

I was an employee of IMS for over 5 years and I have seen drastic changes across the board these past few years. The number one focus of upper management is to cut costs and that is it - extreme tunnel vision. There really is no company culture, it always comes back to how much money can we save. Casual Friday's used to be the norm, and eventually this became allowed on every day of the week. Suddenly this was all taken away and there were NO days that casual dress was allowed. This is a pretty silly example, but it shows just exactly what upper management's attitude is towards the every day employees. Decisions like this as we go backwards just leave you scratching your head and wondering what the point of the decision even was. Are we being punished like little kids? Or apparently wearing jeans may offend some of them? There is very little concern over the small benefits as they slowly get eroded.

Extremely little focus on employee morale and this company is the definition of one that only reports to their shareholders (previously private equity firms). Their is even a defined "us vs them" mentality between teams because of this cost cutting culture. Nobody wants to be the next one to lose their job so people are quick to point out the errors of others instead of working towards a solution.

I have seen quite a few bright young people come into the company, only to watch them leave one or two years later. I know this is more the norm these days, but IMS seems to be bleeding talent. And the talent that does not leave on their own choice, many lay offs occur and the job is outsourced to a different country. And that is not to say that the new person isn't smart, but people who have built relationships and knowledge for 5,10,15,20 years are being let go. A lot of knowledge is lost in that process and the same relationships are simply not built when a person is on a completely different continent.

Their are a lot of antiquated processes where one person has been doing the same thing for 10 years, but very little documentation on the process. That is because that single point of knowledge has no time to create the documentation! When that person is let go? All the little nuances that people took for granted start to cause errors that you never even knew existed. As more and more things are outsourced, the data quality has dropped and 2 people are expected to do the work of 3 people. And then those 2 people are supposed to correct the new mistakes that are being made and train the person taking over their job.

If you are getting into any area on the back end, I don't think IMS Health is a good location. Whether it is IT, data, analysis, technical support these are all constantly being cut and moved elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Develop a modern culture that focuses on employees and allows them to succeed in their roles. Reward employees that actually perform well so that you can keep the talent within the company instead of giving every employee the same tiny raise.

Focus on workplace morale and workload as cost cutting is not the only place that efficiency can be had.

Big Machine

Current Employee - Consultant in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

Company is sustainable, and core strategies are aligned with trending industry.

Cons

Too slow to move, and affect change. Disconnect between daily operations and functional business. Communication is slow to filter. Getting things accomplished takes forever, and can be very discouraging. Many people I know that left, did so because of how slow moving initiatives took and blame came quickly.

Advice to Management

Empower people and eliminate the bottlenecks.

Frustrating place to be if you want to be doing innovative work or learning new skills

I worked at IMS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Virtual monopoly on Rx data protects market share in core business of pharma sales force effectiveness. Slow pace makes for good work/life balance. Logo has nice range of blue colors.

Cons

IMS is slow to move and reluctant to invest in new technologies which means they are not successful at penetrating new markets. There is a disconnect between strategy and execution which causes morale issues. A move towards off-shoring and driving down wages means top talent is scarce.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do acquisitions without killing companies. Dump your stock now before your core business begins to erode as healthcare reform passes you by.

A bloated company with pockets of excellence but overall declining culture

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good work/life balance (though I hear this is not the case in all groups)
    - Decent compensation and benefits including pension, tuition reimbursement etc..
    - Casual culture

Cons

- Having difficulty digesting all the acquisitions. People are still working in silos with cultural, technical and bureaucratic obstacles to collaboration
    - A lot of good people have left, especially middle managers who cared about their employees. The new crop leaves much to be desired.
    - Toxic culture. The quarterly revenue target is worshiped at the expense of delivering quality work to clients. Management does not seem to care about quality and this permeates through out the workforce.
    - Very distant management. No employee communication.
    - A lot of very talented people but also a lot of poorly trained or just underperforming people who coast along. Training is constantly discussed but it really amounts to a bunch of powerpoints. No one is willing to actually take the time and show you how to do something new, so people end up stuck in very rigid roles.
    - Lots of outsourcing

Advice to Management

- change the performance system to allow for feedback on managers - 360 system
    - care more about the quality of deliverables
    - don't be petty with things like not reimbursing lunch during travel.
    - think more about employee development
    - you might be able to deliver technology or data solutions using an assembly line model, but this does not work for consulting. there is too much of a wall between analytics and consulting. It makes no sense for one person to pull the data, for another to write up study documents, another to analyze the data, and yet another to make a powerpoint. You end up with a broken telephone where important information gets lost down the chain.

IMS Health Photos