IMS Health Reviews

Reset
3.2
IMS Health Chairman and CEO Ari Bousbib
Ari Bousbib

Pros
  • Nice place to work with good work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• If you are not in headquarters at Plymouth Meeting, you can enjoy better work-life balance and the opportunity to work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Offsites for employees should be held for a better work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Poor attitude of senior management (in 14 reviews)

Data company not yet a tech co

Current Employee - Offering Manager
    Current Employee - Offering Manager

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No one has more access to top 20 pharma brand teams on a global basis

Cons

Not a tech company yet
    Data is not accessible enough for cool partnerships

Advice to Management

Innovation needs to become a higher priority - lean startup needs to become a part of the culture

2. Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Dynamic healthcare data company that continues to grow and is the leader in its space
    -Many opportunities for data-consulting engagements and exposure to leading healthcare technologies
    -Well-regarded within life sciences space
    -Great and intelligent coworkers

Cons

-Lack of transparency regarding career progression
    -Lack of communication and assistance with projects and clients
    -Below market compensation

Advice to Management

-Have greater transparency for career progression, or your best people will continue to leave
    -Be more accommodating regarding client issues and helping consultants adjust accordingly

3. Good company to gain skills

I have been working at IMS Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

you get good opportunities to work across the teams

Cons

Office politics is bad; People from same region are more preffered

Advice to Management

Accept the reality and focus improving the team environment; try to maintain the trained resources

5. Below Average

Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

The west coast head quarters is in a mall, intimate, beautiful office space with little distraction. You get the opportunity to work directly with clients (onsite) to build meaningful business relationships and really have an impact on the business.

Cons

On-boarding and training was lackluster. I was supposed to join a group of other new hires for on-boarding on the east coast, but they tried to on-board me via Webex and e-learning tutorials. I basically had to self-train. You're also expected to work over time (early mornings and late nights, available all the time), which is fine, but you don't get compensated for it.

Advice to Management

When I was trying to set goals for my career path, I was also told the exams I needed to take to advance were "out of date" and I couldn't advance until they made updated versions. They never did and I never got to advance. I eventually got laid off. It felt like they took advantage of my hard work and patience.

Stay Away

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some groups are better to work for than others. In some, you might actually have career growth, but this is rare.
    They are flexible with work at home policies, but you will likely have so much work it won't really matter.
    They still offer a small fixed pension on top of the 401K.
    :Leave is not bad - you start out with 19 days. People are encouraged to take it but have fun getting your work done before/after a vacation.

Cons

IMS is like an abusive spouse. They tell you they love you and that you are a valued employee but they beat you regularly anyway.
    If you are deemed talented, they will just pile work on you non stop. Say goodbye to any work-life balance. And no, your pay or title will not increase. Everyone is a senior manager but doing grunt work.
    Managers are too busy to manage anyone because they are expected to work on deliverable.

But if you are a poor performer, it is easy to hide. They will shovel you into a group that is deemed less important and let you mess up the work there while your coworkers fix everything. You won't get promoted or get raises, but they won't fire you.

Acquiring companies non-stop and not integrating well. Everyone works in silos although managers run around saying "we are all one team". Every group does their own inefficient thing though because no one is given time to think strategically or to make improvements. Its all about pumping out revenue.

Advice to Management

This is the most inefficient company I have worked for. The reason people are working crazy hours is because of the processes you have in place.
    Stop outsourcing everything to China. We end up redoing half the work anyway when it comes back.

Big business not centered on employee happiness

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at IMS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because IMS has a virtual monopoly on their segment of the market, there's lots of different departments that have lots of different areas of focus, so you can find something you're interested in. They also have facilities all over the globe and lots of people work remotely, so there's some flexibility in moving around within the company (that said, most geographic locations are tied to the certain previously mentioned departments/areas of focus)

Cons

Upper management is very removed from the day-to-day interests of the employees. Lots of bureaucracy and disorganization slows down even simple tasks, like expenses or requesting a new PC b/c your keyboard is literally falling apart and keys are falling off during client meetings. Management is very focused on cutting costs - usually not by improving efficiency, but by reducing pay. Salary increases, vacation time, bonuses, and promotions are all handed out sparingly & you have to fight for it. Departments are very siloed and only care about what affects them, not very much "same team" atmosphere outside of your department.

Advice to Management

Instead of cutting bonuses and limiting promotions across the board, reward the individuals who work hard & generate results. Cut down on costs by getting rid of employees who don't pull their weight, not by withholding rewards from the rock stars. This will be especially valuable to you in keeping young talent. Get departments to cooperate together better. Create a unified architecture & (easy to use!) central knowledge base that isn't the convoluted maze of pages that is your intranet.

8. Average, but could be great!

Current Employee - Senior Principal in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has decent healthcare benefits, but a great Pension and 401K plan. Most people are very dedicated to their jobs and very customer focused.

Cons

Company keeps acquiring other companies and nutoriously sets very aggressive revenue and EBIDTA targets that are never met. People are overworked and there is no ability to build a bench to get ahead of the work

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and customers feedback on employees - your greatest assets are getting burned out.

9. VIce President

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

Opportunity to improve healthcare globally

Cons

Still learning to be agile

Advice to Management

Kick bureaucracy to the curb

10. Business Systems Analyst

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

Very positive experience. Management very approachable and helpful. Committed to process improvement and customer satisfaction.

Cons

acquisitions often presents problems they aren't experienced in resolving

11. worked as analyst

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

great work culture, work from home is allowed

Cons

nothing i came across , i didnt have the normal benefits which full time employer might have

RSS Feed </> Embed