IMS Health Reviews

Reset
3.1
IMS Health Chairman and CEO Ari Bousbib
Ari Bousbib

Pros
  • Nice place to work with good work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• If you are not in headquarters at Plymouth Meeting, you can enjoy better work-life balance and the opportunity to work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Offsites for employees should be held for a better work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Poor attitude of senior management (in 14 reviews)

1. SDI will need to imporve morale!

Current Employee - Data Analysis in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Data Analysis in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

Small private company with some smart people

Cons

Senior Management needs to get a clue and do some additioinal training on MANAGEMENT

Advice to Management

Some TQM, some better processes

2. I worked for a subsidiary of IMS Health, called IMS Goverment Solutions.

Former Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

Flexibility, Benefits, Tuition Reimbursement, Travel

Cons

Working with goverment solutions were horrible, they were unorganized with a high turnover rate. Management showed favoritism, which didnt allow much advancement in other careers.

Advice to Management

Get all new senior management who knows who to actually manage a company, and a better HR team who actually cares!!

3. Very weird! The managers remaining from MedInitiatives have checked out!

Current Employee - Database Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Database Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

Great location! Very liberal telecommuting. Technology is up to date and current. Pay rate is above average for consultants.

Cons

Hired into situation where senior DBA was combative and un-cooperative with product managers. Managers are disinterested and come to office maybe 2 times per week in jeans and flip-flops. Very unfocused and lack luster direction and enthusiasm missing for moving product forward. Looks like they are waiting to be closed. Dirty Secret they don't tell you is that they(old MedInitiatives) are going to be shutdown July 2011 if they don't get long over due software out the door.

Advice to Management

IMS Execs, you paid $80M for people, they have mentally checked out and are only playing a waiting game until you come in and clean house or close this office.

Horrible disorganization and no communication

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

The technical team is awesome. Several business folk were really good to work with too.

Cons

This is a technical company that has no idea how to run a technical project. They don't want to hear any feedback regarding technical dependencies of the various pieces of the project, or really any feedback at all for that matter. The business makes decisions without any communication with the technical teams, but still expects the technical team to implement whimsical changes on the fly (in production no less). The project managers are the worst I have ever worked with and are leading the projects into disaster. There is no way this place will ever produce viable software. They are an analytics company, their business revolves around data and reporting of data, but the business stakeholders have no respect at all for the importance of their database architecture and the technical complexity of the things they are asking for. The technical team is awesome. Several business folk were really good to work with too but the people running the projects make it impossible to work here since you know the projects are bound to fail.

Advice to Management

Open communication channels with the technical side. They want to architect solid solutions, you have to give them the tools to do so.

6. Just a job

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people here at the local SF office overshadowed by a massive slow company that can not evaluate talent

Cons

Upper Management is a mess. Seems like there almost is none except confusion, I think they do not understand the software world.

Advice to Management

Learn about software if you can.

Worst experience ever

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Has a good brand name in the pharma data industry

Cons

- Working at remote client locations is the worst as employees are isolated - Terrible managers - Employees in teams of recently acquired firms are very unprofessional and have poor work ethic - No career growth opportunities - Strange administrative processes such as multiple interfaces for time sheets, payroll information, email etc. Have to login to multiple sites. - Employee evaluations take months and are one sided as employees don't get to evaluate their managers

Advice to Management

Enforce integration of acquired companies into IMS. Be more involved there rather than sitting back.

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

Health benefits are good. Vacation time is ample. I am having trouble specifying any other pros. I was not happy there at all.

Cons

Dissatisfied with company culture. Too large of a company for my voice to be heard. Dissatisfied with company culture. Too large of a company for my voice to be heard

My recent hire became a disappointment.

Current Employee - Developer in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Developer in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

Office culture is easygoing. People are professional yet not as stuffy as I expected. Most people seem to enjoy their jobs but not the company. People are saying that prior to the merger, IMS was more employee conscious and that all the strongest people left.

Cons

They care more about saving and making money than establishing a good working environment or developing their future with the company. Clearly they don't prioritize employee job satisfaction at all. Everyone is rated with how much money they bring in or save, even if we're not in sales. We're computer and bio-pharm people, not salesmen.

Advice to Management

If you pay the lowest salary in the industry, you will get what you pay for. All the best qualified employees will go elsewhere and IMS will be left scraping the bottom of the barrel. Counting on foreign workers and entry-level recent grads will eventually turn IMS into an obscure data mill unable to compete with evolving technology with Wal-Mart quality products but without their level of service. Talented and innovative people don't work for peanuts.

Horrible place to work

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess there's a lot of free doughnuts?

Cons

Drastically under pay employees, no room for growth, very high turnover, the work is extremely boring and repetitive.

Advice to Management

Build some growth into the roles.

Stay away unless you are going into consulting

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at IMS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are on the consulting side of the business, that is probably the only area that is allowed to grow within the United States. They do offer 401k matching and a pension. Vacation benefits are slightly above average, but there are many restrictions on when you can use them and many years you will not be able to take all your vacation time. Lower level managers do what they can and every one I worked for was extremely personable and supportive. I believe they are using the hand they are dealt to the best of their abilities, but there is very little room for flexibility and innovation. The business itself is extremely stable, as IMS Health essentially has a monopoly in the sector that they operate in. Their data is critical to the pharmaceutical companies and people that buy their data.

Cons

I was an employee of IMS for over 5 years and I have seen drastic changes across the board these past few years. The number one focus of upper management is to cut costs and that is it - extreme tunnel vision. There really is no company culture, it always comes back to how much money can we save. Casual Friday's used to be the norm, and eventually this became allowed on every day of the week. Suddenly this was all taken away and there were NO days that casual dress was allowed. This is a pretty silly example, but it shows just exactly what upper management's attitude is towards the every day employees. Decisions like this as we go backwards just leave you scratching your head and wondering what the point of the decision even was. Are we being punished like little kids? Or apparently wearing jeans may offend some of them? There is very little concern over the small benefits as they slowly get eroded. Extremely little focus on employee morale and this company is the definition of one that only reports to their shareholders (previously private equity firms). Their is even a defined "us vs them" mentality between teams because of this cost cutting culture. Nobody wants to be the next one to lose their job so people are quick to point out the errors of others instead of working towards a solution. I have seen quite a few bright young people come into the company, only to watch them leave one or two years later. I know this is more the norm these days, but IMS seems to be bleeding talent. And the talent that does not leave on their own choice, many lay offs occur and the job is outsourced to a different country. And that is not to say that the new person isn't smart, but people who have built relationships and knowledge for 5,10,15,20 years are being let go. A lot of knowledge is lost in that process and the same relationships are simply not built when a person is on a completely different continent. Their are a lot of antiquated processes where one person has been doing the same thing for 10 years, but very little documentation on the process. That is because that single point of knowledge has no time to create the documentation! When that person is let go? All the little nuances that people took for granted start to cause errors that you never even knew existed. As more and more things are outsourced, the data quality has dropped and 2 people are expected to do the work of 3 people. And then those 2 people are supposed to correct the new mistakes that are being made and train the person taking over their job. If you are getting into any area on the back end, I don't think IMS Health is a good location. Whether it is IT, data, analysis, technical support these are all constantly being cut and moved elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Develop a modern culture that focuses on employees and allows them to succeed in their roles. Reward employees that actually perform well so that you can keep the talent within the company instead of giving every employee the same tiny raise. Focus on workplace morale and workload as cost cutting is not the only place that efficiency can be had.

RSS Feed </> Embed