IMS Health Reviews

292 reviews filtered by
3.2
IMS Health Chairman and CEO Ari Bousbib
Ari Bousbib

Pros
  • In consulting, you will learn things while enjoying a decent work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• very strong vacation, work from home, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Offsites for employees should be held for a better work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Poor transition of senior management following acquisition be capital venture (in 14 reviews)

Stay away unless you are going into consulting

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at IMS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are on the consulting side of the business, that is probably the only area that is allowed to grow within the United States.

They do offer 401k matching and a pension.

Vacation benefits are slightly above average, but there are many restrictions on when you can use them and many years you will not be able to take all your vacation time.

Lower level managers do what they can and every one I worked for was extremely personable and supportive. I believe they are using the hand they are dealt to the best of their abilities, but there is very little room for flexibility and innovation.

The business itself is extremely stable, as IMS Health essentially has a monopoly in the sector that they operate in. Their data is critical to the pharmaceutical companies and people that buy their data.

Cons

I was an employee of IMS for over 5 years and I have seen drastic changes across the board these past few years. The number one focus of upper management is to cut costs and that is it - extreme tunnel vision. There really is no company culture, it always comes back to how much money can we save. Casual Friday's used to be the norm, and eventually this became allowed on every day of the week. Suddenly this was all taken away and there were NO days that casual dress was allowed. This is a pretty silly example, but it shows just exactly what upper management's attitude is towards the every day employees. Decisions like this as we go backwards just leave you scratching your head and wondering what the point of the decision even was. Are we being punished like little kids? Or apparently wearing jeans may offend some of them? There is very little concern over the small benefits as they slowly get eroded.

Extremely little focus on employee morale and this company is the definition of one that only reports to their shareholders (previously private equity firms). Their is even a defined "us vs them" mentality between teams because of this cost cutting culture. Nobody wants to be the next one to lose their job so people are quick to point out the errors of others instead of working towards a solution.

I have seen quite a few bright young people come into the company, only to watch them leave one or two years later. I know this is more the norm these days, but IMS seems to be bleeding talent. And the talent that does not leave on their own choice, many lay offs occur and the job is outsourced to a different country. And that is not to say that the new person isn't smart, but people who have built relationships and knowledge for 5,10,15,20 years are being let go. A lot of knowledge is lost in that process and the same relationships are simply not built when a person is on a completely different continent.

Their are a lot of antiquated processes where one person has been doing the same thing for 10 years, but very little documentation on the process. That is because that single point of knowledge has no time to create the documentation! When that person is let go? All the little nuances that people took for granted start to cause errors that you never even knew existed. As more and more things are outsourced, the data quality has dropped and 2 people are expected to do the work of 3 people. And then those 2 people are supposed to correct the new mistakes that are being made and train the person taking over their job.

If you are getting into any area on the back end, I don't think IMS Health is a good location. Whether it is IT, data, analysis, technical support these are all constantly being cut and moved elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Develop a modern culture that focuses on employees and allows them to succeed in their roles. Reward employees that actually perform well so that you can keep the talent within the company instead of giving every employee the same tiny raise.

Focus on workplace morale and workload as cost cutting is not the only place that efficiency can be had.

2. Not so great as a technology company, okay in analytics

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand name
    Health Care data understanding
    Exposure to understanding health care data

Cons

Unfit to be called as a tech centre,
    No means no process at all, operates like a cottage industry.
    low organization maturity

Advice to Management

Implement basic processes
    Understand need of upgrading stone technologies where your applications are running.
    avoid you save me i save you attitude.

Horrible place to work

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess there's a lot of free doughnuts?

Cons

Drastically under pay employees, no room for growth, very high turnover, the work is extremely boring and repetitive.

Advice to Management

Build some growth into the roles.

Ah Ok

Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some projects are good. If you get into any maintenance or support projects with good timelines then you are saved else its going to be hell.

Cons

Dont know how to execute projects.
    Individuals are not up to date with technology.
    Basically its not a technology company.

Advice to Management

NONE.
    As no one will hear out what you have to say.

IMS - Irresponsible Management Services

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Didnt work over weekend .
    2. Managers are real fools so easily play with them on daily basis .

Cons

1. Management does not give employee care any importance . This can be validated by the Printer of 6th floor or the quality of bags / jacket being distributed to employees . Current employees can empathise over this .
    2. No hold on anything , be it the Admin or Tech Support or Daily Maintenance activities . It's being operated like a Govt Office or even worse . This is the worst Tech Support group I have ever seen with no SLA/ETR for tickets and follow ups are done on their own wish .
    3. Managers are puppets of mid level managment and have no say over appraisals or decision making .
    4. No one listen to employee queries . Town Hall is conducted every month but the issues raised are never rectified .
    5. Technical Architects are being made managers and hence we are losing our tech guys also .
    6. Escalations of managers result in the change in hierarchy and no efforts to train or rectify them .
    7. The HR dept is even worse where the HR neither listen to your queries nor show any interest in solving them .
    8. Too much politics within team and across managers . Managers fight for petty issues like Seats and talking over VOIP .
    9. No concept of sending meeting invitees or MOM after discussions .
    10. No focus on training employees on technology or process .

Advice to Management

1. Listen to employee queries and at least show you are interested in solving them .
    2. Monitor the GSD and make sure tickets are moved as per the severity and SLA .
    3. Train HR to handle employee queries behave professionally in crisis or severities .
    4. Encourage written documentation and mail culture than verba talks .
    5. Provide small small basic amenities like "Working printer" , replace plastic glass with Paper cups , good quality of stationery .
    6. Stop treating employees as replaceable assets and bring the concept of bench to avoid employee getting frustrated to leave job .

My recent hire became a disappointment.

Current Employee - Developer in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Developer in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

Office culture is easygoing. People are professional yet not as stuffy as I expected. Most people seem to enjoy their jobs but not the company. People are saying that prior to the merger, IMS was more employee conscious and that all the strongest people left.

Cons

They care more about saving and making money than establishing a good working environment or developing their future with the company. Clearly they don't prioritize employee job satisfaction at all. Everyone is rated with how much money they bring in or save, even if we're not in sales. We're computer and bio-pharm people, not salesmen.

Advice to Management

If you pay the lowest salary in the industry, you will get what you pay for. All the best qualified employees will go elsewhere and IMS will be left scraping the bottom of the barrel. Counting on foreign workers and entry-level recent grads will eventually turn IMS into an obscure data mill unable to compete with evolving technology with Wal-Mart quality products but without their level of service. Talented and innovative people don't work for peanuts.

self-directed learning; do not expect a lot of support

Former Employee - Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

- if you are a self-directed learner, then will be fine
    - if this is your first job, it's a good place to start for those who got passed on by the premium consultancies. A way to get your foot in the door, so to speak
    - you can amass knowledge quickly, then get out of there

Cons

- no work life balance
    - a company that is constantly changing it's "identity"...we had new templates every 6 months with different branding colours, etc.
    - high-ups pushing for strong growth without ensuring that infrastructure (i.e. HR, internal training, data systems, etc.) are mature enough
    - high turn over
    - culture of disasstifaction with the company...the feeling of being taken advantage of

Advice to Management

- before pushing for more growth, ask if those who are going to deliver this growth, i.e. your employees, have sufficient bandwidth, drive, commitment and are simply happy enough to push themselves further
    - many of the employees are deeply dissatisfied with the lack of work-life balance

Great company if you are good at 'Office politics'..

I worked at IMS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent fringe benefits, competitive salary raise, great outsourced trainings.

Cons

Serious issues on retaining the top performers. Exit interviews are a big waste of time. There is no corrective action plan. Poor work-life balance (working on weekends & holidays), after a certain point there are limited career opportunities. Lack of leadership - Bad leaders at the Local Offices. Lack of recognition and overall poor employee-manager relationships.

Advice to Management

It's a bad decision to give promotions to people based on lobbying and internal politics. Instead the top management needs to invest more seriously in top performers.
    Unjustified high salaries to Senior Management (GMs, Sales Directors etc.) - Often people at this level pretend to work hard and long hours to justify their high wages.

People are disposable assets for IMS Health

Current Employee - Consultant in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The stream I work with and my manager and colleagues are excellent. The work itself is great, challenging, new, exciting, great learning opportunities and exposure.However, its all downhill from here on.

Cons

There are no people friendly or employee retentive policies at IMS Health, its all about cost cutting, poor people and expectation management. All this coupled with shoddy facilities, bad pay and utter lack of employee engagement describes IMS Health for me. Unlike other MNCs, our office does not provide any of the following:
    1. Cab facilities - Even after shifting their office from Ulsoor to Marathahalli, given that majority of the population still resides in and around Ulsoor/ Indiranagar, no cab facilities have been arranged, despite complete willingness to pay for the same, from the employees.
    2. Decent food - Every time someone brings about the topic of how MNCs provide good quality, subsidized food to their employees, the only answer received is "We are still shifting" or " We are still working on it". It has been 3 years and they still haven't settled down enough to provide decent food options
    3. Good Pay: Incentives, hikes and bonuses are a joke around here. Employees joke about it, managers and directors joke about it, and the only time any serious thought is given to it, is when you threaten to or actually do resign.
    The list is endless, but I will put a stop to it right now.
    I have friends in other teams who are faring faaaar worse than me, so the picture I paint is not the bleakest.
    Any interested candidates, please beware. They may pick you up at a good hike, but they will mar all your future hikes within the company, till you decide to leave.

Advice to Management

My only advice will be to wake up, look around because if you treat talented people thusly, you can imagine the kind of crowd you will be left with.

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

Health benefits are good. Vacation time is ample. I am having trouble specifying any other pros. I was not happy there at all.

Cons

Dissatisfied with company culture. Too large of a company for my voice to be heard. Dissatisfied with company culture. Too large of a company for my voice to be heard

IMS Health Photos