IMS Health

Updated January 20, 2015
3.2

IMS Health Chairman and CEO Ari Bousbib
Ari Bousbib

Pros
  • In consulting, you will learn things while enjoying a decent work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• very strong vacation, work from home, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Offsites for employees should be held for a better work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Poor transition of senior management following acquisition be capital venture (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Analyst

I worked at IMS Health (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, great company to have on resume

Cons

Lots of turnover. Very silo'ed company - very little opportunity to work with other groups within the firm.

Less silos - allow the groups to work together on more projects,

Company doesn’t value employees

I worked at IMS Health full-time

Pros

Definitely a plus to have received health care right away.

Cons

This company does not seem to value their employees. IMS seems too focused on acquiring other companies and the employees are the ones suffering. It’s not a good feeling to be constantly told that there is a hiring freeze or a promised promotion is frozen indefinitely, but to keep getting emails that your company has acquired yet another company. There is a high turnover rate in my department and I’m not surprised why. My department has taken on greater responsibilities and workload over the last 3 years as other departments are laid off, however, there is no financial reward for taking on other department’s responsibilities. Promotions are promised and never given. I did not feel valued as an employee. While appreciated, Amazon.com gift cards are not a substitute for promotions and raises.

You have good employees, make an effort to keep them. While appreciated, Amazon.com gift cards are not a substitute for promotions and raises.

Anonymous previous employee

I worked at IMS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to commute to location is very nice

Cons

Very difficult to work for,,,no training...expect to much

Need to set up good training schedules

Very well run.

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity, market competitive comp and benefits.

Cons

Matrix management can be a challenge. Structure may inhibit innovation.

IMS could rank as a great place to work with a little more focus on creative benefits and employee development.

IMS Health | Appature in Seattle has the feeling of a small company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good culture, great interaction with other employees. Small Management tree. Always asking what can be done to improve both products and working environment. Great view from offices.

Cons

Not the easiest place to commute to. Too much of this was done in start up and we really do not have the time to fix.

Make sure to keep the culture at Appature Seattle and not change it to the culture at HQ

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

Health benefits are good. Vacation time is ample. I am having trouble specifying any other pros. I was not happy there at all.

Cons

Dissatisfied with company culture. Too large of a company for my voice to be heard. Dissatisfied with company culture. Too large of a company for my voice to be heard

Great people but company in flux

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

The people are great: knowledgeable and fun

Cons

Constant layoffs make your job uncertain

Listen to your front line employees more.

Big-company problems

I have been working at IMS Health

Pros

The work:
    Very agreeable and mild-mannered, as far as the "consulting" world goes. The work is heavily data-driven and technical, which is a plus for the many science-oriented folks we have here. Hours are reasonable, however, can fluctuate depending on how tough your project or manager is.

Workplace/Social atmosphere:
    The workforce is comprised of young, intelligent, friendly, and fun people. Most are between 20-35. The bosses like to treat us well (occassional catered lunch, summer "field trip" (e.g. sailing on the harbor), softball team, etc.), but things like that have been getting harder to approve since we were acquired (see Cons).

Cons

Corporate is bad at integrating new acquisitions

Leadership has been strugging to address inconsistencies since being acquired in Dec 2013.

Hours can be inconsistent and often down-played.

Numerous frustrating IT and admin problems have been causing headaches ever since the mentioned acquisition.

The commute from Boston/Cambridge/Somerville can be tough (40-60 min) in stop and go traffic.

Other business units don't seem as invested in doing things quickly or thoroughly to help each other out.

Part of small company acquired by IMS - Still feel somewhat isolated

Current Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

IMS is big company with a lot of employee benefits. There are a lot of resources available to employees for both professional and personal use. Working from home is an option for many teams within IMS. Career advancement seems to be encouraged and opportunities are available within the company.

Cons

Since IMS is so large, sometimes you feel like you are just another number. I don't know what a lot of my colleagues actually do and I'm sure many of them don't know much about my department.

Solid company with great potential

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Engaging work and interesting projects; very smart colleagues who have a willingness to help each other; strong upside within this particular industry; excellent opportunity to work remotely; one of the few companies that still offers a pension PLUS a 401(K) to employees.

Cons

Now that the company is publicly traded - it needs to implement a long-term stock incentive (LTI) initiative. There has not been any communication in this regard and it needs to be.

Communicate and implement an employee LTI plan as soon as possible.

IMS Health Photos