IMS Research

1 Rating

Great Experience for Recent Grad

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at IMS Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging, interesting work; awesome colleagues; small office feel even though the company is growing rapidly. Awesome opportunity to travel worldwide for international conferences related to industry. Opportunity available to mentor newer analysts after around 1.5 to 2 years experience.

Cons

Pay on lower end for work; overly idealistic report deadlines and sales goals; lack of consistency across groups. The company was purchased in March 2012 by IHS, a large American company so may have lost some of the small company feel. Things are accomplished slower now as reliance on approval from directors at IHS slows down processes. Focus often seemed to be more on sales than report quality.

Not bad, just not great

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at IMS Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours if you have the right manager

Cons

Very mundane work. Gets old within 2 years.

Pay your employees better

Good experience but not much else.

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at IMS Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience in a range of areas. Some opportunities to specialize, and movement to another group was usually an option if an employee was unhappy with current assignments. Some managers were genuinely invested in company culture. At one point my colleagues encouraged a fairly intellectual environment, but this changed dramatically over time. IMS's pay scale was low enough to attract people who did the work because they liked it, and this resulted in a mostly good mix of people.

Cons

IMS management seemed to set policies and hiring decisions solely on cost. The company refused to hire people with real management skills, preferring instead to cultivate cheap managers from within existing ranks. This often resulted in promotion of pitifully immature and inexperienced people into management positions, which in turn had a toxic effect on group dynamics and the office as a whole. Bad managers with good relationships with top bosses were a running joke. Several employees who should have been summarily fired were kept on because it was cheaper than replacing them. Ridiculous over-reliance on procedures, gross inefficiency, and fierce centralization of power among only a few people often gave the impression of insecure, immature leadership. Over time our office devolved from a fairly intellectual group of workers to a sad joke of something quite different.

Seems irrelevant now since the IHS acquisition. Many IMS Research veterans believe former upper managers washed their hands of past colleagues and culture, which is part of why morale is so low. I'm not optimistic about prospects for IMS Research employees at IHS.

This company values their employees and the contribution they put in every day.

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst

I have been working at IMS Research full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours due to no time sheets allows analysts to work within core hours of 0800 to 1800, but many will, if needed, stay later for important customer calls, while coming in later also, or come in earlier for calls and leave earlier.
    As an a analyst there is often opportunities to travel to meet customers or visit trade shows.

Cons

We were acquired by IHS in 2012 who have bought a large corporate mentality to a previously small-medium sized independent company. This restructuring has bought difficulties and lowered staff morale.

Re-focus on employees, IMS Research's strength was it's employees. I'm not sure IHS realises this at an upper-management level.

It's a great place to work

I have been working at IMS Research

Pros

The pay is about average, I think, but the benefits are amazing. 401(k) matching, 11 Bank holidays which are floating et.

Cons

I guess you could say that you could make more working at some other companies. There really aren't very many other downsides

Keep doing what you're doing. I love working here. I'm hoping that I am able to continue to stay for my whole career