INC Research

Updated February 21, 2015
3.1

INC Research CEO Jamie MacDonald
Jamie MacDonald

Pros
  • Work from home option comes in-handy when also managing school schedule of small child (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, location and business reputation (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They sell you on "management by results" and "flexibility/work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• There is very very little or no communication from upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Job recap

I worked at INC Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Allows for independent thought and action, possibility of high renumeration.

Cons

Too dependent on whims of local marketplace.

Remember your word is your bond.

good company, low pay

I have been working at INC Research

Pros

INC is a good place to get your start in clinical research. They provide a substantial amount of PTO and the hours are flexible.

Cons

Don't believe what HR tells you before you land a job. You will not be promoted within 6-12 months, so negotiate for a good starting salary! If you move up within the company you'll make even less than your peers who are coming from competitor CROs. Knowledgeable, hard-working employees don't receive the recognition and compensation they deserve and I've seen many leave as a result.

Value hard work, education, intellect, and knowledge when making decisions on promotion over the number of years at the company and the "politics" played. Otherwise you will continue to have a high turn-over rate with valued employees leaving and the rest advancing beyond their abilities.

Interview

Current Employee - Project Specialist
    Current Employee - Project Specialist

I have been working at INC Research

Pros

Growing company and room for advancement. Great work/life balance.

Cons

none to report at this time

Great company

Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research

Pros

No work life balance issues
    Competitive salaries and benefits
    Great management
    Very competent and dedicated workforce

Cons

Growing a bit too fast

Great employees... Continue to support them and let them do their job

Ok Company...first CRO experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Pay is market value
    Commute is good from Wake Forest area
    Nice People
    Flexible work from home options

Cons

poor systems
    No work life balance
    Poor processes, not well thought out

Invest in the updates to software and systems to raise the bar on Sponsor deliverables

Great or horrible

I worked at INC Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working commute flexibility
    Competitive salary
    Closed between Xmas and New Years

Cons

Any department that is not related to the clinical operations is horrible to work for. Clinical operations have their processes perfect. While the rest of the company like it is exactly the opposite always trying to catch up, few people with initiatives never get promoted. Promotions are a joke only if is convenient to some upper management.

They are losing a lot of good talent for no focusing on quality but only speed of delivery, while the people in clinical brings the money the rest of the departments make sure clinicsl operations has all the tools running smoothly

Being a CDA WAS great...

Current Employee - CDA III in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - CDA III in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The CDA position is a piece of cake - they have all these different tasks assigned to CDA I, II, III & Sr. CDA but regardless of what level you are you'll end up doing Sr. CDA tasks within weeks of being hired if you're a CDA I or II - that's how they get around giving out promotions because they can get individuals at a low level to perform the tasks of a higher position making believe that individual will be promoted when it'll never happen. All that said, being a CDA is essentially being a gopher - if you are asked to provide something from your project manager, do it fast as lightning and they will think you are a rocket scientist. This works well when it comes to year end reviews and they are the ones providing feedback, however the current management staff seems to have ulterior motives.

Cons

The first few years I worked at INC were amazing. Management recognized that I was a valuable asset to the company and let me kind of march to the beat of my own drum - back then I was motivated and had a desire to make a difference and do well with my projects. I'd even check my work email in the middle of the night and respond if I happened to wake up and saw a pressing issue that needed to be addressed...Just so they'd have an answer at the crack of dawn when they checked their email and saw my reply.

A year and a half ago after our company acquired another company, it was decided that our UK CDA's were more productive than the US CDA's, without providing any proof or metrics whatsoever to explain that rationale. It was just fact because upper management said so. They then started enforcing all of these strict rules regarding time in office which resulted in a horrible morale among employees and caused a high turnover rate.

Prior to this, no one ever questioned my laid back demeanor. All of a sudden they were monitoring everyone's "in office time" and were disciplining individuals for being at their desk at 9:35 instead of 9:30. They act as if this strictness has lessened these past few months but it's still there - they just aren't vocal about it.

We have employees coming to work with the Flu because they're scared management will notice they are out sick for multiple days. People are scared to have doctor appointments during business hours. It's actually ENCOURAGED to schedule appointments on your work from home day (we get one a week) - but doing that pretty much prevents any productivity from occurring if you are scheduling all of your appointments at once on the same day.

It used to be wonderful working there but now I dread going in every single day because it's just plain depressing.

Mind your own business and recognize employees that are doing a good job. Quit ganging up on certain individuals and give everyone a fair chance to succeed - you're all ridiculous in how you treat loyal staff members who have been with the company for many years.

Statistical programmer

Current Employee - Statistical Programmer/Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Statistical Programmer/Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at INC Research full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good team to work with. More study for you to invovle and wonderful internship program

Cons

You are limited to one specific job requirement, programming, data management, biostatistician groups

Can be a good place to grow but company cohesion needs work

I have been working at INC Research

Pros

Company is growing so there are opportunities to advance. Benefits consistent with industry. If placed in the right position and able to learn on the job it can be a good place to learn skills needed in industry.

Cons

Not enough training for new hires and unprepared people are put on studies. This causes inefficiencies and extra work when working with people who do not understand responsibilities of their role. Departments can be too separate when working on the same study, contributing to confusion about people's roles. Therapeutically focused business units can be uncooperative with those outside their group. There is needless competition between groups when cooperation would produce better results and culture.

The company needs a cohesive team vision. There is too much competition between business units when cooperation would be more efficient and less stressful and difficult for all involved. Budget for training.

GOOD