INC Research Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
INC Research CEO Jamie MacDonald
Jamie MacDonald

Pros
  • Some flexibility in schedules & work from home capabilities (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work, nice amount of PTO including week off for Christmas (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing is poor work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• From a corporate level, there is a lot of talk about retention, but no one in upper management is able to define what is actually being done about it (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

New employee but thoroughly impressed so far and excited about the connection and journey ahead.

Current Employee - Trusted Process Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Trusted Process Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research

Pros

Overall, the people are amazing. "Can Do" positive attitudes and "sky is the limit" optimism. Great leadership!

Flexible schedule and employees are not micromanaged.

Company has great recruiters, hire great people, and believes in the abilities of those on the team.

Great promotion and career advancement plan, with guaranteed steps for salary and title adjustments.

Allows you room to make mistakes, just not the same ones over and over.

The headquarters facility is very new, clean, and nice. Everyone takes care of "home."

Cons

Sometimes too much communication. You are on multiple listservs and things are emailed to everybody more than once.

Many of the SOPs/WIs are repetitive or redundant or presentations are poorly constructed so training is much longer than necessary.

The IPO is changing things

Current Employee - Medical Writer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Medical Writer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO with Christmas to New Year's off.
    Great flexibility - telecommute available.
    Great people - everyone is friendly and helpful.
    Important work - we're saving lives.

Cons

Since the IPO earlier this year things have definitely been steadily getting worse. There is more and more focus on churning out better numbers rather than quality work. Increasing focus on meeting numbers and utilization rates are making us spend a lot more time on administrative tasks rather than doing great work.

Advice to Management

Drop the I Am Connected silliness. It's marketing, and it feels like it.
    Come up with a professional project tracking system rather than informal, inefficient, duplicative methods that waste our time.

INC Research

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides excellent opportunities for growth

Cons

None that I have found

Toxic IT contaminates the Business

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Exciting and fast paced work environment, good benefits, flexible scheduling, extensive web based training opportunties, telecommuting option.

Cons

Abusive ex-Military CIO and IT leadership rule their department spheres with hostility, divisiveness, fear and they bring in their friends. Employees bullied and treated like the 'Enemy'. Backbiting and betrayal culture encouraged and rewarded; 'Can Do It, I Own It' risk taking and accountability punished. Emphasis on forward movement and results without quality delivery, fit and finish. Pretty front-ends with crumbling, barebones infrastructure underneath.

Advice to Management

Jamie M. and Greg R., good business is built on honesty and integrity of leadership at all levels. You seem to care, please review senior IT management and replace bullies, they are driving away talent that helped make INC great and setting the business up to fail with their short-sighted, narrow-minded practices. Hard working employees are company partners not enemies.

Growing Too Fast

Current Employee - Senior
    Current Employee - Senior

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent PTO and holiday pay (extra week from Christmas to New Year in addition to regular PTO).
    Friendly people.
    Flexible scheduling, availablity to work from home when needed.
    Good for newcomers looking to enter CRO industry.

Cons

Low salary compared to rest of industry.
    Promotes a culture of blame instead of a culture of problem-solving.
    Over promise and under deliver to customers, which creates a lot of stress on project teams.
    Lack of follow through on promotions and raises
    No bonus or incentives; recognition programs in place are childish and provide no actual incentive.
    Lack of resourcing, most departments are understaffed and employees are expected to "pick up the slack" for an indefinite period of time, which doesn't seem to be ending.
    Like most companies, promotion and recognition is political - those that get the most face time with upper management get promotions while those that stick their nose to the grindstone and actually complete the work are awarded with more work.

Advice to Management

As a senior member of the team, it is difficult to watch capable members of our team leave for better opportunities elsewhere because our management is unwilling or unable to promote or provide career development within the company. These employees are then replaced with unskilled and untrained new hires with little to no experience meaning the rest of the team is expected to do most of the work as well as train the new hires. Provide incentives for people to stay, the turnover rate is getting worse and worse because upper management is focused on numbers, not people or the culture within the company. Promote within, provide raises and bonuses for those in all departments, not just sales and business development. The company is focused on growing and profit instead of providing quality deliverables to customers or a quality work environment to employees.

Mixed Bag

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Promotions can and do occur and INC loves to promote within. There are good opportunities for that, if merit is shown.
    * Benefits are standard, but we get the week off between Christmas and New Year's.
    * I have always had GREAT line managers who supported my career growth. Never experienced micro-managing; was left to do my own thing.
    * I have earned recognition (award $) for my going above and beyond what was expected of me.
    * Most of the people I have ever worked with across the company and in various positions, they were awesome and wonderful to work with. INC's REAL asset is its employees on the lower rungs, not the higher.
    * Currently, I have the flexibility to WFH, but it's different, depending on where you're at. So that's also kind of a con, too.
    * I work in a therapeutic business unit and they are just the best. I can tell that they try to foster a familial working environment, where you do feel valued.

Cons

* If you're non-billable, then you are considered dispensable by the company and won't be well-supported. Hence our HR and IT groups mostly suck.
    * Pay is NOT competitive or even close to market value.
    * Systems are complicated and all over the place. Nothing is clear, anywhere. You have to visit a dozen different sites and systems to get the info you need to run your study.
    * Training sucks. It's very much a sink or swim environment at times.
    * INC is a teetotaler! That means when we do get the rare office function (they are very cheap when it comes to doing things for its employees), you must purchase your own alcohol. If it's even allowed. Thanks Jim Ogle!
    * Being over-worked is totally a thing here. I laugh when anyone starts to talk about a work/life balance. Over-worked and under-paid is what we are.
    * All the locations are moving towards a call center-type environment, and most people hate it. It's crappy for most, or an introvert's worst nightmare.
    * As of this writing, everyone I work with, in the various departments and groups, is stretched too thin. Overworked. Stressed out.
    * I have had to fight tooth and nails to get standard working equipment - a laptop that's not a dinosaur, monitor, etc.

Advice to Management

Fight harder to keep your good employees. I'm so tired of losing good colleagues to CROs that pay better or because they're so badly over-worked. And put a muzzle on Business Development - they are winning far more awards than we can realistically staff. Have more sensitivity to your employees - not a single one of us enjoys reading about how the executives fly private planes in their spare time, or whatever dumb spotlight crap they foist on us. Show that you can relate to us, instead of showing us where the money is actually going (definitely not in our pockets). And on that note, I don't think we want any more cheap mousepads or cheap thermoses (they leak!)...we'd rather have that in our paycheck.

8. Sink or swim

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Many work from home positions

Cons

Wages way below standard
    Not EEOC compliant
    Managers lie to protect their own skin
    Hard work not appreciated

9. Data Management

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Everyone is very helpful and professional. There is a great atmosphere of family. A lot of positive changes happening in Data Management.

Cons

A lot of training in the beginning but more manageable once you get past the first month.

10. Project Specialist II

Current Employee - Project Specialist II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Specialist II in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people!
    Good Culture
    People are always willing to help

Cons

Pay- underpayed
    Benefits- they switched to a new mail order program and now have to pay a lot more for prescriptions where as the last plane my meds were free
    Many of my doctors will not take Cigna- have to pay out-of-pocket

Advice to Management

Swich back the medical plan to include e-script, not cigna

They will work you to the bone

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home (CRAs, CTLs, PMs). Can be promoted if they are desperate to fill a position. But only if you are at the right place at the right time. Otherwise, they don't really care or appreciate hard work.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are well below the market rate. No work-life balance. They will work you to the bone until you have no choice but to quit. Good work is rewarded with more work, not more compensation. And there is no use talking to your manager--they really don't care. Manipulative, dishonest and spiteful senior management.

Advice to Management

Look at yourselves long and hard in the mirror. When there are no moral or ethical standards at the top, no good can come out in the end.

RSS Feed </> Embed