INC Research Reviews

Reset
2.9
INC Research CEO Jamie MacDonald
Jamie MacDonald

Pros
  • Some flexibility in schedules & work from home capabilities (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work, nice amount of PTO including week off for Christmas (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing is poor work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• From a corporate level, there is a lot of talk about retention, but no one in upper management is able to define what is actually being done about it (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

New employee but thoroughly impressed so far and excited about the connection and journey ahead.

Current Employee - Trusted Process Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Trusted Process Specialist in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Overall, the people are amazing. "Can Do" positive attitudes and "sky is the limit" optimism. Great leadership! Flexible schedule and employees are not micromanaged. Company has great recruiters, hire great people, and believes in the abilities of those on the team. Great promotion and career advancement plan, with guaranteed steps for salary and title adjustments. Allows you room to make mistakes, just not the same ones over and over. The headquarters facility is very new, clean, and nice. Everyone takes care of "home."

Cons

Sometimes too much communication. You are on multiple listservs and things are emailed to everybody more than once. Many of the SOPs/WIs are repetitive or redundant or presentations are poorly constructed so training is much longer than necessary.

The CRO of Choice!

Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company feel with big company resources. Great Leadership and industry best benefits. Growth on the horizon is exciting and the paid additional week off from Christmas to New Year's is wonderful.

Cons

None that I can think of. Having worked for larger CRO's there is a refreshing and distinct difference here. As we continue to grow we just need to keep the hiring resources coming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communication and growth. It’s exciting to see how we continuously stay ahead of the technology curve as the industry evolves.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Being able to work cross functionally as one smooth running machine speaks volumes for how this company operates. I am always amazed that teams are able to come together the way they do to achieve the ultimate goal.

Cons

In my department we are so understaffed that my reports are often working overtime every week to try to keep up with the work. They are assigned so many urgent priorities and deliverables that it's almost impossible to meet any of them. They are also constantly pulled from the requirements of their job to assist other departments with their job duties. This is not fair treatment and we are going to end up losing valuable employees.

Advice to Management

Hire people. If we continue overworking everyone and expecting them to do more and more then we are going to lose good employees. I've heard these complaints directly from department staff and some have already began to look elsewhere for jobs. We need to show the staff that they matter and we are concerned that they are constantly overworked with little or no appreciation for all they do. Words can only go so far before they stop believing in is as leaders.

Good oncology team, but no path for advancement

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Oncology business unit was small, supportive and great to work with on an individual basis. Good management with an open door. Other departments were not as good, and the IT department was non-existent.

Cons

Really poor pay for long time employees. Treated prior Kendle employees as second class, especially if you were not in the Raleigh headquarters. If you were not in Raleigh it was very hard to get promoted or recognized.

Advice to Management

Work harder to retain the talent you have, including competitive salaries.

6. Not good not bad

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II in Houston, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you put yourself out there and are good at your job you will be promoted if you push for it.

Cons

Training is limited so be ready to hit the ground running. Like all CROs work is due the day before you get it.

Advice to Management

A bit disorganized between departments. Provide more hands on training and external training to help with retention.

7. Great except the pay

Current Employee - Site Contracts Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Site Contracts Specialist in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Great people, work load is doable, generally not stressful.

Cons

The benefits aren't the best around. Perhaps I was spoiled by previous employers. The starting pay for this position is very low compared to equivalent positions at other CROs.

Beware - Apply at your own risk!!!

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist I in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist I in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, Flexible schedules, R12 Upgrade, nothing more to list

Cons

Management is very fickle, Work has become all about metrics and only if you agree with me type culture.

Advice to Management

Corporate headquarters has undergone a fairly complete metamorphosis since going public. An army of new management have effectively transformed the feel of what was a friendly "all in it together" organization to one that is exactly like every other corporate culture out there; bloated at the top with overly hierarchical and pursuing policy for the sake of justifying lay offs and creating new positions for longtime colleagues from previous working relationships. Enjoyed my first few years, until the politics started to become very evident. Tread lightly, it's a culture of sharks, pretending to be dolphins. The quality of work is not noted. It's all about quantity and metrics.

Overwork, with no end in sight

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay would be competitive if the workloads were realistic. They'll hire you even if you have very little experience working in clinical trials (they don't have much choice because they have so much need to fill jobs), so you can get your foot in the door here. Because of the high turnover, if you have a lot of face-time with the decision makers, you can be promoted relatively quickly, but you will be underpaid and under-prepared for the position. There are efforts to address some of the cons listed below, but these have gained little traction as people do not have the time to properly adopt new methods, and they, like everything else are understaffed, so they end up being more trouble than they were worth.

Cons

Over-work is the expectation, not the exception. Training time is inadequate. Working overtime is treated as an employee's problem with time management, rather than an actual look being taken at workloads. More work and tasks are piled on each month, with no extra time allocated to do it. Lunches are unpaid; you are not even given time to fill out your time-card because it is not billable time. This means most people just fill them out on Sunday afternoon and hope they are billing correctly. Turnover is atrocious. Resourcing is awful and it often take months to replace a staff member. This causes the manager to request a resource at a lower allocation than they needs, because they'll get it quicker, but then that person is overloaded with work as the time allocated never actually matched the workload. This causes lots of situations in which work goes undone for months or years, and suddenly everyone scrambles to find someone to help take care of the backlog before an audit or a client deliverable is due. There are many SOPs and lots of "standards" being put into place that mostly go unfollowed. No one really knows where the buck stops, or who is supposed to be doing tasks that are in at all in a gray area. The systems used are slow, tedious and the flow of work can sometimes cause the same work to need to be done four times.

Advice to Management

The issues the company faces will get worse since the company has gone public, as posting short-term profits above all else drives decisions. As another review here put it "put a muzzle on Business Development". By underbidding, you are winning contracts that you can't make good on because your employees are already stretched too thin. Somehow you seem to have a decent amount of goodwill from your employees for their first year or two, but you know that turnover is a big problem, and you have few experienced employees that do not jump ship within that time after being continually overworked. This fostered goodwill with employees will benefit you less and less as the company grows and you are still treating it like a small CRO. Your current multi-year contracts will carry you for a few years, but the continual lack of resources will earn you a bad name with sponsors if it isn't changed.

ALL ABOUT YOUR CIRCLE NOT YOUR SKILL SETS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Flexibility to work from home as necessary.

Cons

Opportunity for growth are only afforded to a select group of individuals who share a previous work experience at the "Q" (Quintiles). There's over 20 Directors in Data Management alone. Directors managing Directors and no one is directing anything...everything still funnels up to the VP of Data Management.

Completely happy I made the move

Pros

I have truly enjoyed working for INC at this point. Although I have only been at the company for 3 weeks the company has a very welcoming atmosphere. My manager is focus on me getting my training completed but also wants me to have a work life balance.

Cons

It is my third week and they expect you to hit the floor running. Already I am expected to start working on my protocols and I've yet to finish my new home training.

Advice to Management

Allow the new hires to actually complete their first two weeks of SOPs before giving study specific work.

RSS Feed </> Embed