INC Research Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Sr Investigator Payment Speciost

Pros

Great benefits and very organized orientation. Plenty of positions. Professional building, other departments are more put together. Fast paced environment

Cons

Department is chaos, no training, a "trial by fire" attitude. High turnover. No structure and very disorganized. Quick to let go employees without giving training.

The IPO is changing things

Current Employee - Medical Writer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Medical Writer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO with Christmas to New Year's off. Great flexibility - telecommute available. Great people - everyone is friendly and helpful. Important work - we're saving lives.

Cons

Since the IPO earlier this year things have definitely been steadily getting worse. There is more and more focus on churning out better numbers rather than quality work. Increasing focus on meeting numbers and utilization rates are making us spend a lot more time on administrative tasks rather than doing great work.

Advice to Management

Drop the I Am Connected silliness. It's marketing, and it feels like it. Come up with a professional project tracking system rather than informal, inefficient, duplicative methods that waste our time.

Good Company, Better People

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

Better work life balance than some, but still high workload and definitely 40+ hrs per week.

INC

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Week off in December, good people who want to succeed

Cons

The new president only cares about clinical people, everyone else is not important. All PMs have to do is name-drop him and all managers suddenly fold under pressure

Advice to Management

All staff are equally important in making INC successful

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Promotions can and do occur and INC loves to promote within. There are good opportunities for that, if merit is shown. * Benefits are standard, but we get the week off between Christmas and New Year's. * I have always had GREAT line managers who supported my career growth. Never experienced micro-managing; was left to do my own thing. * I have earned recognition (award $) for my going above and beyond what was expected of me. * Most of the people I have ever worked with across the company and in various positions, they were awesome and wonderful to work with. INC's REAL asset is its employees on the lower rungs, not the higher. * Currently, I have the flexibility to WFH, but it's different, depending on where you're at. So that's also kind of a con, too. * I work in a therapeutic business unit and they are just the best. I can tell that they try to foster a familial working environment, where you do feel valued.

Cons

* If you're non-billable, then you are considered dispensable by the company and won't be well-supported. Hence our HR and IT groups mostly suck. * Pay is NOT competitive or even close to market value. * Systems are complicated and all over the place. Nothing is clear, anywhere. You have to visit a dozen different sites and systems to get the info you need to run your study. * Training sucks. It's very much a sink or swim environment at times. * INC is a teetotaler! That means when we do get the rare office function (they are very cheap when it comes to doing things for its employees), you must purchase your own alcohol. If it's even allowed. Thanks Jim Ogle! * Being over-worked is totally a thing here. I laugh when anyone starts to talk about a work/life balance. Over-worked and under-paid is what we are. * All the locations are moving towards a call center-type environment, and most people hate it. It's crappy for most, or an introvert's worst nightmare. * As of this writing, everyone I work with, in the various departments and groups, is stretched too thin. Overworked. Stressed out. * I have had to fight tooth and nails to get standard working equipment - a laptop that's not a dinosaur, monitor, etc.

Advice to Management

Fight harder to keep your good employees. I'm so tired of losing good colleagues to CROs that pay better or because they're so badly over-worked. And put a muzzle on Business Development - they are winning far more awards than we can realistically staff. Have more sensitivity to your employees - not a single one of us enjoys reading about how the executives fly private planes in their spare time, or whatever dumb spotlight crap they foist on us. Show that you can relate to us, instead of showing us where the money is actually going (definitely not in our pockets). And on that note, I don't think we want any more cheap mousepads or cheap thermoses (they leak!)...we'd rather have that in our paycheck.

Toxic IT contaminates the Business

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Exciting and fast paced work environment, good benefits, flexible scheduling, extensive web based training opportunties, telecommuting option.

Cons

Abusive ex-Military CIO and IT leadership rule their department spheres with hostility, divisiveness, fear and they bring in their friends. Employees bullied and treated like the 'Enemy'. Backbiting and betrayal culture encouraged and rewarded; 'Can Do It, I Own It' risk taking and accountability punished. Emphasis on forward movement and results without quality delivery, fit and finish. Pretty front-ends with crumbling, barebones infrastructure underneath.

Advice to Management

Jamie M. and Greg R., good business is built on honesty and integrity of leadership at all levels. You seem to care, please review senior IT management and replace bullies, they are driving away talent that helped make INC great and setting the business up to fail with their short-sighted, narrow-minded practices. Hard working employees are company partners not enemies.

INC Research

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides excellent opportunities for growth

Cons

None that I have found

INC only cares about profit

Former Employee - Senior CRA in Pacific, WA
    Former Employee - Senior CRA in Pacific, WA

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off is impressive and the pay is better than other companies.

Cons

Micromanagement, no work life balance, treated like an employee from a third world country working in a sweat shop. If you work at INC for greater than a year you will be on antidepressants, high blood pressure medication, anxiety medications, migraine medication and the list goes on and on. I wish I would have been warned.

Advice to Management

You need to put the right people in the Protocol Lead position and not allow the Protocol Leads micro manage the CRAs

Growing Too Fast

Current Employee - Senior
    Current Employee - Senior

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent PTO and holiday pay (extra week from Christmas to New Year in addition to regular PTO). Friendly people. Flexible scheduling, availablity to work from home when needed. Good for newcomers looking to enter CRO industry.

Cons

Low salary compared to rest of industry. Promotes a culture of blame instead of a culture of problem-solving. Over promise and under deliver to customers, which creates a lot of stress on project teams. Lack of follow through on promotions and raises No bonus or incentives; recognition programs in place are childish and provide no actual incentive. Lack of resourcing, most departments are understaffed and employees are expected to "pick up the slack" for an indefinite period of time, which doesn't seem to be ending. Like most companies, promotion and recognition is political - those that get the most face time with upper management get promotions while those that stick their nose to the grindstone and actually complete the work are awarded with more work.

Advice to Management

As a senior member of the team, it is difficult to watch capable members of our team leave for better opportunities elsewhere because our management is unwilling or unable to promote or provide career development within the company. These employees are then replaced with unskilled and untrained new hires with little to no experience meaning the rest of the team is expected to do most of the work as well as train the new hires. Provide incentives for people to stay, the turnover rate is getting worse and worse because upper management is focused on numbers, not people or the culture within the company. Promote within, provide raises and bonuses for those in all departments, not just sales and business development. The company is focused on growing and profit instead of providing quality deliverables to customers or a quality work environment to employees.

Lack of stability

Former Employee - Medical Writer
    Former Employee - Medical Writer

I worked at INC Research full-time

Pros

Great PTO. Extra week off during Christmas. Work from home!

Cons

Lack of work-personal life separation. Managers lie to protect themselves. Lay offs every month keep everyone nervous (I guess this is the only way to show you were under budget for the quarter). They layed off all the older, sick, and higher paid employees.

Advice to Management

Grow a heart.

RSS Feed </> Embed