INC Research Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
3.2

INC Research CEO Jamie MacDonald
Jamie MacDonald

Pros
  • The people are great, good place to get experience and the benefits aren't bad (in 7 reviews)

• Work from home option comes in-handy when also managing school schedule of small child (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They sell you on "management by results" and "flexibility/work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• There is very very little or no communication from upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

One wonder what better managers would bring........

I worked at INC Research full-time

Pros

Good people, though poorly led by their managers. Some with many years of experience in the industry.

Cons

Senior management lacks thorough understanding of local market needs results in systematically inappropriate new hires, particularly in Asia-Pacific, where a merger has been completed with another CRO. Amid the ambition to double 'enterprise value' by 2015, INC Research remains a minor player against the likes of Quintiles and Paraxel, which are in much better position to take advantage of growth in the emerging markets.

Needs to shake-up the senior management team to include able executives from all corners of the earth. Staff members do not feel valued and this culture must change, if it is determined to become successful. As it stands, the executive floor in Raleigh resembles a private club of Anglo-Saxons managers.

Great experience so far

Current Employee - Project Manager Data Management  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager Data Management in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, family environment, open doors

Cons

Should have better opportunities for growth within.

Allow for more growth within the company rather than hiring from outside. There are many employees i work with that deserve promotions, however INC continues to bring outsiders into the position.

Loved the idea of it but got a bad manager.

I have been working at INC Research for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth. Innovative in project team meeting plans.

Cons

I got a bad project manager that lacks education and experience. Stuck doing ancillary tasks now.

Managers should be reviewed by their reports for 360 review. No way for upper management to know if there is a bad apple.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brought me in with no experience and showed me the ropes.

Current Employee - Site Startup & Regulatory Specialist I  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Site Startup & Regulatory Specialist I in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good, family-like environment inside the department. One of the only CROs that will give a person without any clinical experience a chance. Fantastic internal development programs (Toastmasters) and decent benefits. Excellent IT service.

Cons

Heavy workloads, poor CTMS, redundancy in data storage, and difficult to be promoted. Key issues are heavy micromanagement from upper levels of the company and low salary in comparison to business standard in the area. PMs have a difficult time knowing how to manage people on their team. Hiring freezes at times when the business unit most needs to grow lowers morale and increases attrition.

You have to put money out to get money back in. Hire more people at the salaries they know they can get elsewhere, promote from within, and put a hard cap on workloads. Micromanaging slows down the process and exacerbates the issues. Trust your people to do their job- that's what you hired them for.

Poor mgt. / antiquated equipment/ nepotism

Former Employee - Safety Specialist
    Former Employee - Safety Specialist

I worked at INC Research as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Outstanding introduction to Safety and Pharmacovigilance. Terrible introduction to CRO culture.

Cons

No chance for advancement unless you are liked (subjectively) or are a friend, or related to a manager. Equipment in the Cincinnati office was woefully outdated and inadequate. Too many managers. I received instructions and demands from no less than five different people (not counting sponsor). Often one manager directive would contradict that of another manager's directives. As a result, there was much confusion in our group and the quality of work suffered as a result. Many promises that were never kept. Threats from managers were constant and often. I liked the work but disliked the environment.

No need for five mangers on the same project. Many threats, no real support. I recommend frequent courses in team building and management skills.

Did not hate my job but did not like it either

Former Employee - Project Specialist  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great introduction to clinical research
    Collaborative environment
    Sufficient training

Cons

Inequity
    Underpaid
    No room for advancement
    Cannot trust management

Employees require better compensation; promote the people who actually get the work done, not lay them off.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Great Working Teams - the people are really nice and most are very helpful.
    Flexibility - While I don't have kids, those that do seem to have fairly wide flexibility related to working from home (maybe this is a con for me...)

Cons

Slow advancement: While our higher level people are very qualified (and therefore busy), this does not lend itself to much mentoring and leads to slow and tedious advancement. Unless you are a personal favorite or on a project team with a higher level member of the company, expect a protracted advancement schedule
    Lack of transparency: Promotions are painful and you will have to do most of the legwork (as in proving that you are doing a job at which the Sponsor is already aware that you are excelling). Promotions (and layoffs) are done in secrecy which adds to people's confusion and skepticism of the advancement process.

Be more Transparent in promotions and good and bad news. Better to stay ahead of the rumor mills and craft policies and messages to clarify to the Sponsors and internal staff.

Test policy and major company changes prior to implementation. Or at least don't treat us like idiots and say we had an extremely successful and flawless launch and then turn around and change the system the next year because of inefficiencies. Also, I have never worked at a company that had so many errors in tax/medical/401K deductions...

Sponsor Contracts

Former Employee - Sponsor Contracts  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sponsor Contracts in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Critical job training and expertise provided.
    Ability to WFH 2 days a week.

Cons

Management is extremely unprofessional.
    Promotion opportunities are discussed and promised, but nothing comes to fruition.
    Inappropriate interactions between management and subordinate staff.

Recent negative shift in direction

I worked at INC Research full-time

Pros

-The people are great to work with. In my department, there is more of a "small company feel" even though we are in a global organization

-The benefits are pretty good

-Since turnover is very high, responsibility growth outpaces pay growth (this is also one of the reasons turnover is high), which can be good for gaining valuable experience and knowledge

Cons

-My department used to promote from within when deserved, however over the past year only 1 person has been promoted. In the meantime, we have hired in people at higher levels, some of whom have already left for greener pastures.

-Very small annual raises and pay is not competitive with other CROs. This is a good place to begin a career, but other CROs will pay thousands more per year to do the same job.

-There is very high turnover right now. 10-12 of my colleagues have voluntarily left in the last month alone. Workloads are very high and keep increasing.

-We just experienced a large layoff. 4 of our most knowledgable staff were laid off. After the layoffs, our executive director had a call with our department to let us know that those 4 people were "hand-picked" because they opposed "process improvements". The vast majority of the remaining staff also oppose these process improvements, but executive management does not seem to care.

-Technology lags severely behind other CROs, which hampers efficiency and overwhelms employees with 5-10 different programs/places to track information.

-Resourcing issues, unmotivated employees, lack of efficient tracking systems, and a recent emphasis on only speed (not quality) has caused a big drop in quality of work.

Reward your employees monetarily, invest in their skills with up-to-date systems and listen to their opinions. Oftentimes your most valuable resource is the resource closest to the situation.

Regulatory Records Specialist II

Current Employee - Regulatory Records Specialist II  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Regulatory Records Specialist II in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great, good place to get experience and the benefits aren't bad.

Cons

The pay isn't exactly the best. The drama created by management is unneeded.

Worked for INC Research? Contribute to the Community!