INC Research

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014

INC Research CEO Jamie MacDonald
Jamie MacDonald

Pros
  • Work from home option comes in-handy when also managing school schedule of small child (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, location and business reputation (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They sell you on "management by results" and "flexibility/work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• There is very very little or no communication from upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people. Poor pay.

Former Employee - Start-Up in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Start-Up in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were great. We were like a family. I also felt confident that if I worked hard I would advance very quickly.

Cons

The pay is definitely low for the industry, especially for a company of this size. The attrition rate was really high. 3-4 people would leave a week sometimes. Projects constantly had personnel changes. Workload was not evenly distributed. This was partially because of the high turnover.

Start paying your employees more and they will stay longer. The lack of consistency is noticed by Sponsors.

Loved it

Current Employee - Document Control Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Document Control Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Over time pay
    Great management
    Excellent Co Workers
    A week off at Christmas

Cons

Pay could be more competitive towards other companies

None

site activation

Current Employee - Site Activation Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Site Activation Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at INC Research as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The company is stably growing and would like to pay good salary

Cons

For senior manager, it seems that there is less growing space

The company is doing well managing its growth, and is taking on some exciting new projects.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers and the projects I worked on. The company is global, so I was always on the phone with people in India, China, Australia, the UK, and most of Europe.

Cons

The corporate culture is a bit too uptight. The people there work really hard and definitely have a passion for successful clinical trials, but in my opinion they need to loosen up a little. There's nothing wrong with going out for a drink after work on a week night.

Then again, I've heard other companies are like this in the CRO space, so maybe it's more of a problem with the industry as a whole.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Week off at Christmas, made some really good friends, met some very driven and intelligent people, global company so there is some opportunity for travel for most positions, they always paid me on time

Cons

I ignored the negative reviews here on glassdoor because I was excited about the idea of my new job at INC, but over time the cons that appear in these reviews became very apparent. There's a reason it only has a 2.9/5 at the time of writing. This job was not at all what I expected- my primary beef with the company is false representation of my position's duties. I was told that I would be involved in a range of activities and projects that I ultimately never even participated in. Corporate insists that the company is constantly developing new and exciting things, but the reality is that progress is slow to come- I mean, the company still uses Windows XP! Overall, the company seems too occupied with hyping its systems and products that it doesn't spend any time actually implementing them. This is a very top-heavy organization (i.e. high percentage of manager/director and higher), so there is a lot of talk but not much action. My honest advice is to pass on this company- and pro tip, their competitors pay better!

Wrong people being promoted to leadership, lots of backbiting

Current Employee - Clinical Programming in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Programming in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice, caring coworkers and chances to learn new skills

Cons

Way too much work, need to hire more staff! Overtime is normal, work/life balance is skewed

Issues at the top

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are fantastic. Worked with some of the best in the industry. 1 week off at Christmas. Decent benefits and matching 401k.

Cons

Sr. Leadership had extremely poor communication. They chose to speak in expletive rather than constructive communication. There was a policy of being asked for opinion but ultimately input was ignored. IT became extemely disjointed and cross-functional team work was non-existent. Policies put in place that discouraged any sort of collaboration. Our team experienced grave turnover with 60% reduction by attrition.

Your employees are the best asset you have. Listen to them attentively. Get rid of those who refuse to collaborate and 'empire-build'. Retain the knowledge you have because the faucet is at full-blast.

Overall, very solid and friendly

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

- After my position was eliminated, they offered to move me to other positions within the company
    - Happy employees
    - Good technical support/equipment
    - Politics minimal

Cons

- Benefits are not great, and lead to higher out of pocket expenses than comparable employers

Negotiate a better package for health coverage.

One wonder what better managers would bring........

I worked at INC Research full-time

Pros

Good people, though poorly led by their managers. Some with many years of experience in the industry.

Cons

Senior management lacks thorough understanding of local market needs results in systematically inappropriate new hires, particularly in Asia-Pacific, where a merger has been completed with another CRO. Amid the ambition to double 'enterprise value' by 2015, INC Research remains a minor player against the likes of Quintiles and Paraxel, which are in much better position to take advantage of growth in the emerging markets.

Needs to shake-up the senior management team to include able executives from all corners of the earth. Staff members do not feel valued and this culture must change, if it is determined to become successful. As it stands, the executive floor in Raleigh resembles a private club of Anglo-Saxons managers.

Good overall experience. Sr. Management seemed overwhelmed at times but the company was growing very fast.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at INC Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For the most part, it was a good atmosphere. I was there during a time of dramatic growth and then significant cuts, and I thought we made the best of it.

Cons

Middle management was not very solid. There was a lot of people who had been promoted up that were simply not competent.

Next time you buy out a company be honest with the people being acquired, they will respect you more in the long run.