ING Direct

Updated Feb 2, 2014

ING Direct Chairman, President, and CEO Arkadi Kuhlmann

Arkadi Kuhlmann

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great benefits, hard to get PTO, sales floor immature

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at ING Direct full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, beautiful in house gym

ConsI work in sales and it feels like a kindergarten teacher runs it. They started hiring kids in college and many are too immature to be dealing with people's finances. Leadership, especially on site upper management is unethical

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease practice what you preach

Very frustrating for someone who wants to grow within the company professionally.

Loan Processor (Former Employee)

I worked at ING Direct

ProsGreat benefits package. It is the only reason to work there.

ConsNot one promotion or raise in the two years I worked there. I was one of the best processors on my team and the managers did not give you recognition. The one time I made a mistake I was written up for it and was threatened to be fired. When I quit to pursue my masters the managers did not even say good bye. Managers of this particular team were not motivating what-so-ever.

The best work environment possible with poor pay

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at ING Direct

ProsING Direct has some of the best management and overall work environments that one can be a part of. It truly feels like you're working as a team if not a family.

ConsCompared to other job positions at other companies, the pay scale is inadequate. If you go to the U.S. Bureau of labor Statistics website, it lists the median the median income level of a loan officer as approximately $55k annually.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, because you truly do make this a great work place. Everyone cares about other associates well being .

Enjoyable

Operations Coach (Current Employee)

I have been working at ING Direct

ProsReally good benefits, above average pay, really good attitude, "flat" organization.

ConsPay not as high as in other places.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally hope we don't lose the attitude and energy when Cap One transition is done. Don't want it to become just another bank. Right now, we're unique.

ING Direct

Transaction Processing Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at ING Direct

ProsSenior management has a good vision of where the company should go and the culture fosters teamwork and a sense of family.

ConsInformation is not always shared as fast as possible with every employee so that everyone knows what is going on in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in the direction the bank is going because leadership has a strong understanding of customer needs and makes decisions accordingly.

Alot of potential with small town issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ING Direct

ProsING is a very fast growing company and growth in any economic environment is a good thing. With growth comes many opportunities for career advancement so it generally looks like a good fit for many.

ConsLocated in a small town outside the twin cities, it is not the best place for an outsider. Any different idea, thought or look is considered outside of the ordinary and sice everyone else knows everyone its easy to tell that you didnt attend 'St. Cloud State' a.k.a the only college in town.

Micro-managing managers, .... and a list of small town annoyances you might not be ready for.

Advice to Senior ManagementDidn't stay long enough to find the words. ;-)

Incompotence in the workplace

I have been working at ING Direct

ProsOnly good reason to work at ING Direct is if you like your coworkers.

ConsThey have work by unethical business practices and favor SALES while treated other employees as second rate. Managers are incompotent and never there when you need assistance; coworkers (most) are even more incompotent; they are continuing to require more of their workers while denying them pay increases and lowering their bonuses each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads off your high horses and realize you need training and learn how to better communicate with your employees. Also, STOP hiring sales employees when your still supposedly on a "hiring freeze" and get rid of the morons you refuse to fire that have been costing the bank $$$ for years.... Will save the bank hundreds of thousands of $$$!

Good Benefits, Crappy Pay, "Low Cost Business Model" Sucks! MANY UNHAPPY EMPLOYESS ARE SCARED TO ADMIT IT!!!

Sales Associate-Promoter (Current Employee)

I have been working at ING Direct

ProsGood benefits, 6% 401K matched, good health, dental, maternity.

ConsSitting on the phones all day gets very boring. The shifts are horrible, the office is open from 7AM to 10PM 7 days a week. As soon as your shift gets decent, you'll be offered a promotion in which will cause your shift to go back to being horrible, (Tuesday-Saturday 1-10PM). Forget about having a family. Everything is "low cost business model." So everything is cheap, they cut corners on everything. Seriously you will get in trouble if you start work 15 seconds late!! Being on the sales floor, you are pushed to sell, much of our pay is based on intentives, and if you don't make your incentives for the month, you'll most likely have trouble paying your bills. Don't count on making the incentives either, as ING makes they very difficult & tricky to earn.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax on the "low cost business model" thing. The office should be open slightly longer than 8-5, but 7AM -10PM 7 days a week is RIDICULIS!!!

Poor pay - great benefits

Loan Operations Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at ING Direct

ProsThe benefites are very good. Excellent health, dental 401k, tuition assistance, maternity and paternity leave, parking is paid for by the comany, etc. Excellent gym. Some management is willing to help you and your career. Others see you as a threat if you even try to outsmart them.

ConsManagement incompetence - lack of knowledge and experience, Pay sucks, waaaay to big in 'saving' money. The new building in St. Cloud sucks - things are constantly breaking down, simply due to how cheap everything was built...Cuz you have to be underbudget! Many people have gotten stuck in the elevators, no air ventatilation and frequent power outages.

Advice to Senior Managementget an education. Open your eyes and pay your employees more money. Just remember...you get what you pay for!

Worked for ING Direct? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ING Direct reviews and ratings in Saint Cloud, MN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ING Direct CEO Arkadi Kuhlmann. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by ING Direct employees.