INRIX

Not yet rated.

Bryan Mistele

Like family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat hiring practices led to working with bright, competent peers.

Strong business strategy building on network externalities.

ConsSmall company meant limited growth opportunities.

Overworked and underpaid, but good experience.

ProsExperience, visibility, co-workers, start up.

ConsPay, hours, work load, poor organization.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work space, good culture, helping colleaques

ConsNot so good management and compensation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ordinary job with not so high salary

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsSmall enough company to make everyday difference.

ConsRun by not so modern principles. Lacks agility in development and deployment. Too long release cycles. Most of top management is from MS so sometimes too much MS stuff kicks in.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up.

Smart people working together to solve difficult problems.

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsOpen culture that focuses on getting the right things done.
    Strong company wide sense of fiscal responsibility.
    Good balance between supporting existing customers and innovation.

ConsFrugality occasionally impedes productivity, though the team works well together within the constraints.
    Subtle shifts in culture as a result of growth (nothing unusual for a company at this stage).

On the verge of IPO, with work environment very similar to Microsoft

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at INRIX right now gives you the opportunity to be in an exciting stage of a company's growth. It is growing very rapidly and globally, and is in the process of going public. The ideas and technology are innovative, although some of the innovations take a while to implement.

ConsThe infrastructure is somewhat dependent on third parties, such as the Microsoft development environment. Within the company, changes are made relatively slowly since the framework is not fully in place. For example when a new idea is proposed, although the technological solution may come quickly, the amount of bureaucratic overhead can push its implementation back several months. This can get frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not settle for a working product. Push for the best product at each release.

INRIX takes care of its employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsCOMPENSATION
    I can't speak to benefits as I was not salaried, but I would estimate that their base pay offerings are anywhere from 50% higher-than-elsewhere on the lower (hourly) end to 15% on the higher end (senior salaried). I know of a few people's salaries there, and given that they had only been there a few years it seemed more than fair to me, although I know at least one would disagree with me. INRIX tries to offer annual pay bumps which are often double or triple what I've seen elsewhere.

FOOD
    Every Monday gourmet bagels and spreads are provided for the entire company, from Noah's Bagels and Blazing Bagels. Every Friday free lunch is provided for the entire company, which alternates weekly between teriyaki, BBQ, Mediterranean, Mexican, etc. Throughout the week employees have access to free food and soda vending machines, which are restocked semi-weekly with the usual vending fare plus Red Bull, Dr. Pepper, Coke, Vitamin Water, Sobe, and many diet options. Also, huge assortments of fruits and nuts and coffees are replenished, all free of charge.

LOYALTY
    Employees who hit loyalty milestones (e.g., 5 years) with INRIX are often awarded generous gifts, including jewelry and expensive plane tickets.

DIVERSITY
    There are a surprising number of Commonwealthers like myself (Brits, Aussies, Canadians) as well as subcontinent Indians and others working at INRIX.

COWORKERS
    While I have been told there ARE in fact "prickly" personalities at INRIX, I met very few of them. Most people were very kind and engaging, and in my relatively short stay I made a number of friends with whom I would speak at length. This is often not the case at other companies.

OUTLOOK
    INRIX has had nothing but great news in the last couple of years, and they're looking to hire hordes of new staff AND go public quite soon. They've recently won several large contracts and picked up traction in the technical (and everyday) world, while competitors have begun to falter. Based on the progress I saw there, I expect them to be the #1 traffic flow (and soon, navigation/event) provider in the world soon.

ConsVACATION
    While another reviewer (an interviewee) pointed out INRIX doesn't have a formal vacation policy, it might be more accurate to say they have a "flexible" vacation policy. I was mildly alarmed to find an email in my inbox after Christmas reminding employees of "acceptable" vacation days, which are astoundingly few. Formally speaking, INRIX does not consider days before or after Christmas or Thanksgiving to be holidays, nor do they consider New Year's Eve, Veteran's Day, MLK Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, or others to be company holidays--even though they are federal holidays. In fact, when I did find myself working these holidays, I do not believe I was given the requisite time-and-a-half (hourly) pay I thought I was owed. However, veterans of the company have told me that INRIX is actually quite flexible with this, and that it's comparable to a lot of other companies in that way. Still, the "we trust that the vacation/leave policy is adequate" footer in the aforementioned email came across as a bit imperious.

HOURS
    INRIX is not the place for 9-to-5ers. Once or twice a year, most of the company pulls an all-nighter to complete map updates. A lot of people think it's fun, but if you're trying to hang onto your youth and spend half your waking hours away from work (8 at work, 8 off, 8 sleeping), think again. I'm not saying it's a 14-hour-a-day gig, but for salaried people I think they're looking for a 9-10 hour schedule with flexibility on going over. From what I could tell most people stayed there maybe 10 hours a day, and many people for much longer. Part of this is because much of INRIX's clientele is overseas and in different time zones, often necessitating early starts and late finishes.

TECHNICALITY
    INRIX is a dedicatedly high-tech company and still has the work ethic and energy of a startup. Sadly, but not shamefully, they have little place for staff who are neither senior nor highly technically adept. In other words, there aren't too many entry-level opportunities--it's mostly a place for highly-skilled, highly-technical, highly-senior staff.

INTERVIEWS
    Don't exaggerate on your resume, particularly if you're a technical worker: you will be GRILLED by a panel before you're hired and asked to demonstrate solutions to complex technical problems, sometimes verbally, but often on a whiteboard as well, to prove your competence level. If you sugarcoat your skill set, you will be embarrassed before a panel of knowledgeable people.

PERSONALITIES
    Most people are fine and even very friendly, but there a few... weirdos. I met a couple people who rubbed me the wrong way until I realized they might have had Asperger's, which in a way could suit them well to the rote technical tasks they often perform--even if they come across as extremely cold and mechanical at the time. There was also the odd unwanted office romance, and the problem that the supervisor above my own supervisor chronically requested senseless changes that others thought were ludicrous--but, "he's the boss," at least of us. Additionally, the Marketing guys are full of hard-to-implement ideas they pass on to the Ops team on a daily basis, as if it's only a little more difficult to do it than to think it. But I suspect you find these at a lot of other companies, as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead my cons section and you'll have a pretty good working knowledge of what might be improved to make life better at INRIX.

Friendly, Relaxed and Exciting

Traffic Information Editor (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsWork hard, play hard attitude. Managers are all caring and willing to listen. Expanding very quickly so opportunities to travel.

ConsWork is repetitive, software can get buggy.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove software, pay increase.

Good traffic data company, mediocre software development company.

ProsLate stage start-up with ISO's. IPO tentatively planned for 2012. Free soda and lunch on Friday. Strong board with good credentials so lots of investor funding. Solid business idea.

ConsPoor promotion prospects, even though company is growing really fast. The managers are poor organizers, non-supportive, very controlling, and generally just "not there". Very deadline oriented. Very high turnover of staff. Company takes on too many projects to produce quality work to increase IPO value. Organization is fractured and non-cohesive even though it is quite small. Eventually the traffic data business is going to be owned by Google, Microsoft or Apple, so prospects for long term viability are slim.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can only have a flat management infrastructure in you organization if you have competent non-micromanaging managers. It is completely lame to just copy Microsoft's review and HR model.

Worked for INRIX? Contribute to the Community!