INTL FCStone

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sean M. O'Connor

Outstanding Company with great outlook and opportunities!

ProsGood pay, unparalleled access to all levels of management, tremendous growth opportunities

ConsChallenging business/industry knowledge is difficult to absorb and can overwhelm some initially

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop further centrally focused services and infrastructure to promote organization and reduce duplicate efforts.

Strange Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood place to work if you're a politician.
    Good place to work if you need to make rent (you might need a roommate)

ConsNot the place to advance your career. The only time that I saw people get promoted was when they brown-nosed. Doesn't matter how hard you work or the skills that you possess, get close to upper management.

There is no orientation and people have worked there for years not knowing policies, procedures, and co-workers!

I found that when I asked questions about where a document or a phone call was to be directed, it was like pulling teeth (generally, I asked my manager, who seemed to think if it wasn't accounting, it wasn't her problem)

There are a few exclusive cliques that were viscous gossips and had/have the ears of upper management..

I saw a couple of street style confrontations, and no reprimands.

Was told by management that certain people did not make the same as their colleagues...it was pretty obvious.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. Your hardest, most knowledgeable workers are leaving and being let go at the expense of your clients. Let people do their jobs and not be penalized for not schmoozing.

Unethical and demoralizing.

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsIt will serve as a stepping stone into the world of brokerage. Staff is very knowledgeable and will teach you along the way.

ConsManagement and senior staff is completely disorganized and untrustworthy. These guys would sell their mother to make a buck; zero ethical standards and will always look the other way when shady trading practices take place.

Many of the senior staff, including upper management have parted ways.

They don't care about customers... Dollar is the bottom line.

Fortune 500 due to an accounting technicality... Strongest investors (leucadia) have left board.

Worst morale in any company i have ever been a part off.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidate the company. Too many small shops rolled up under the fcstone umbrella... Different rules for every department. No clear path to success.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Whatevers

ProsNice people, great hours depending on your location

ConsThey pay you really badly for any kind of position.

Good entrepreneurial spirit

Risk Management Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity to pursue many different types of trading business
    Good pay structure as percent of revenue generated

ConsLittle continuity in marketing approach
    Industry regulation has caused the business to flatten out

Good working experience, compensation is not the best.

ProsFortune 500 company. Well known in the industry. Diversity

ConsMergers and growth have disrupted communication between divisions

Low pay, low integrity, poor communication

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood location in Chicago Loop with full service cafeteria. Fortune 500 company. Decent benefits that aren't too expensive. Some smart people who work hard. Decent work/life balance and somewhat flexible work hours. Pretty laid back vibe overall depending on your department. Can wear jeans every Friday.

ConsAbsolutely no communication of important news/information from leadership to staff. The company doesn't really have a "culture" at all. Base pay is very low compared to the rest of the market, especially in Chicago. Virtually no training whatsoever unless you are a Trader or Broker. Very few managers set goals for their employees or communicate expectations. No new hire orientation programs at all. No advanced planning and always doing things at the last minute because no advanced planning or communication was done. Policies are not communicated (I never saw a Handbook) and as far as I know they have never done any training on things like preventing harassment. "Old school" culture still exists among many of the staff, and its common to hear people yelling, swearing, etc throughout the day. Very common to hear "f" bombs dropped in every other word during meetings. Large part of the culture in Chicago was very gossipy, like a junior high playground. A lot of immature people who have been there a long time and have been allowed to stay for political and other unknown reasons. A LOT of office politics and playing favorites regardless of someone's work performance. I saw some people who worked extremely hard every day, and others who sat around gossiping and goofing off for hours a day. Just a poorly-run place with high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate important information with staff members. Put an employee handbook in place and actually share it with employees. Do some harassment training (some people there still seem to think it's 1960). Train employees on how a workplace functions and how people should act in an office in 2013. Pay people a competitive base salary for where they live/work and what they are doing in their jobs. Focus less on making money and more on how to retain employees and how to show them they are valued . Take some of those billions and share it with employees in a more competitive way. Get rid of a lot of the office politics and favoritism and actually evaluate people on what they get accomplished and how they act at work. Stop the bullying from management.

LOW PAY, WILL OVERWORK YOU

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood location. Employees very friendly.

ConsPay way below the market. No positive reinforcement. Low wage employees overworked and under appreciated. High turn over. Biased Bonus structure. Not enough manpower to support the businesses and/or clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing the blame game and take some responsibility. Stop pointing fingers due to lack of training and funding to hire more employees.

Don't work for them if you have other choice

Prosgood location and work-life balance

Conslow compensation, they don't value you too much unless you are a broker

A large company that seeks for individual entrepreneurial spirit and an opportunity to move forward.

Sales Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWorking at INTL FCStone sparked my entrepreneurial drive as I was able to work on numerous projects while being trained for commodity trading by the company's top traders.

ConsThe environment can be hostile as everyone is severely driven and competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere could be greater communication of overall company values in order to feel more team oriented with projects, especially when clients are involved as it was each man to himself.

Worked for INTL FCStone? Contribute to the Community!