INTL FCStone Reviews

Sean M. O'Connor

Great Team - Interesting Company

Current Employee - Senior Vice President
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President

I have been working at INTL FCStone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent reputation, happy clients, products that work.
    Depending on team you work for, you can get a lot of autonomy and responsibility to build your own book of business.
    Rewards are fair and I can trust my team leader not to BS me.
    In a business building and sales role, I've never had my manager be unsupportive.
    Good, helpful teammates and a real sense that our team is all working together towards some very challenging growth goals, which is exhilarating.

Cons

Centralized functions like Marketing and HR are next to useless.
    Compliance team does a tough job and they do it well, but regulations in the finance industry are getting crazy.

Important to reinforce to central admin functions, as part of the culture, that they are there to help support sales and Biz Dev functions not to hinder them.
    They definitely move slowly and inflexibly and have a sense that they are God, rather than service people. That should change if you want the drivers of the business to power forward.

It's a job

I have been working at INTL FCStone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice co-workers, monthly catered lunches.

Cons

No room for advancement or leadership role.

Summer Internship Review

Current Employee - Grain Market
    Current Employee - Grain Market

I have been working at INTL FCStone as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Management views interns as potential incumbents investing wholeheartedly into a diverse experience. The entire staff appears to love what they do and are willing and eager to teach you anything and everything about your field.

Cons

Markets are volatile which makes price risk management a stressful job. You do your best to navigate and smooth out this volatility for the clients, but inevitably the markets will move against you posing limitless risk.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding Company with great outlook and opportunities!

I have been working at INTL FCStone full-time

Pros

Good pay, unparalleled access to all levels of management, tremendous growth opportunities

Cons

Challenging business/industry knowledge is difficult to absorb and can overwhelm some initially

Develop further centrally focused services and infrastructure to promote organization and reduce duplicate efforts.

Strange Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at INTL FCStone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work if you're a politician.
    Good place to work if you need to make rent (you might need a roommate)

Cons

Not the place to advance your career. The only time that I saw people get promoted was when they brown-nosed. Doesn't matter how hard you work or the skills that you possess, get close to upper management.

There is no orientation and people have worked there for years not knowing policies, procedures, and co-workers!

I found that when I asked questions about where a document or a phone call was to be directed, it was like pulling teeth (generally, I asked my manager, who seemed to think if it wasn't accounting, it wasn't her problem)

There are a few exclusive cliques that were viscous gossips and had/have the ears of upper management..

I saw a couple of street style confrontations, and no reprimands.

Was told by management that certain people did not make the same as their colleagues...it was pretty obvious.

Wake up. Your hardest, most knowledgeable workers are leaving and being let go at the expense of your clients. Let people do their jobs and not be penalized for not schmoozing.

Unethical and demoralizing.

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at INTL FCStone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It will serve as a stepping stone into the world of brokerage. Staff is very knowledgeable and will teach you along the way.

Cons

Management and senior staff is completely disorganized and untrustworthy. These guys would sell their mother to make a buck; zero ethical standards and will always look the other way when shady trading practices take place.

Many of the senior staff, including upper management have parted ways.

They don't care about customers... Dollar is the bottom line.

Fortune 500 due to an accounting technicality... Strongest investors (leucadia) have left board.

Worst morale in any company i have ever been a part off.

Consolidate the company. Too many small shops rolled up under the fcstone umbrella... Different rules for every department. No clear path to success.

Whatevers

I have been working at INTL FCStone

Pros

Nice people, great hours depending on your location

Cons

They pay you really badly for any kind of position.

Good entrepreneurial spirit

Current Employee - Risk Management Consultant
    Current Employee - Risk Management Consultant

I have been working at INTL FCStone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to pursue many different types of trading business
    Good pay structure as percent of revenue generated

Cons

Little continuity in marketing approach
    Industry regulation has caused the business to flatten out

Good working experience, compensation is not the best.

I have been working at INTL FCStone

Pros

Fortune 500 company. Well known in the industry. Diversity

Cons

Mergers and growth have disrupted communication between divisions

Low pay, low integrity, poor communication

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at INTL FCStone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location in Chicago Loop with full service cafeteria. Fortune 500 company. Decent benefits that aren't too expensive. Some smart people who work hard. Decent work/life balance and somewhat flexible work hours. Pretty laid back vibe overall depending on your department. Can wear jeans every Friday.

Cons

Absolutely no communication of important news/information from leadership to staff. The company doesn't really have a "culture" at all. Base pay is very low compared to the rest of the market, especially in Chicago. Virtually no training whatsoever unless you are a Trader or Broker. Very few managers set goals for their employees or communicate expectations. No new hire orientation programs at all. No advanced planning and always doing things at the last minute because no advanced planning or communication was done. Policies are not communicated (I never saw a Handbook) and as far as I know they have never done any training on things like preventing harassment. "Old school" culture still exists among many of the staff, and its common to hear people yelling, swearing, etc throughout the day. Very common to hear "f" bombs dropped in every other word during meetings. Large part of the culture in Chicago was very gossipy, like a junior high playground. A lot of immature people who have been there a long time and have been allowed to stay for political and other unknown reasons. A LOT of office politics and playing favorites regardless of someone's work performance. I saw some people who worked extremely hard every day, and others who sat around gossiping and goofing off for hours a day. Just a poorly-run place with high turnover.

Communicate important information with staff members. Put an employee handbook in place and actually share it with employees. Do some harassment training (some people there still seem to think it's 1960). Train employees on how a workplace functions and how people should act in an office in 2013. Pay people a competitive base salary for where they live/work and what they are doing in their jobs. Focus less on making money and more on how to retain employees and how to show them they are valued . Take some of those billions and share it with employees in a more competitive way. Get rid of a lot of the office politics and favoritism and actually evaluate people on what they get accomplished and how they act at work. Stop the bullying from management.

Worked for INTL FCStone? Contribute to the Community!