INgrooves Reviews

Updated February 4, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
3.5
Robb McDaniels

1. A GREAT place to learn and grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at INgrooves full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You will learn a ton
    -They welcome questions and feedback
    -I feel like I am actually making a difference in the company and the industry
    -The people who work here are just plain awesome! I have made some great friends
    -Managers want you to do well, to move up, reach your career goals and succeed

Cons

-not entirely clear what the overall direction of the company is (upper management knows this, but is not always disseminated down)
    -pay is competitive, but not outstanding
    -more training opportunities could be provided

2. Times are a changing

I have been working at INgrooves full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office space with a great view of the Bay, free snacks, good amount of vacation and holidays. Great music culture. Co-workers are passionate about music and books. Laid back atmosphere. Good work-life balance for the most part.

Cons

Limited training. Payscale tends to be low as do the raises. Opportunities for advancement are unclear. Benefits are just ok - no match for 401k, dental coverage is terrible.

Help employees to achieve their full potential. Senior management is spread over two offices so they need to make an effort to connect to employees in each office. Expecting good things with Matt in charge.

3. Borders on Criminal, eh?

I worked at INgrooves full-time

Pros

Prior to "letting go" (i.e. firing) of my boss and the "resigning" (i.e. leaving due to internal abuse) of top employees, the job had quite a few pros. These, as far as I know, no longer apply:

- Autonomy to build and develop interesting products and software.

- A start up like culture with beer on Fridays and ping pong/foosball for downtime.

- Flexibility working from home.

- Interaction with people all over the world.

Cons

- Not really "Independent"; although, they like to make it seem that way. Most of their money comes from Universal Music Group. In fact, many people on INgrooves' board are from and still directly working with/"for" UMG. Universal also owns a good portion of INgrooves, which causes something of a legal absurdity: UMG is basically allowed to own a good portion of the catalog, Fontana, that would have prevented them from taking on EMI. We all know that UMG is soulless, now we know INgrooves is their pawn.

- Internal meetings take up more of your day than is profitable for the company or reasonable for anyone who respects their own or others' time. This derives from bad leadership.

- Again, bad leadership. No understanding of individual motivation, an internal abuse of power, and a "circle-jerk" culture.

- Often forced to work on major holidays with difficulty of ever getting compensated.

- Some upper management (no names specifically, but with a specific individual in mind) will belittle, insult and libel employees below them.

- There are many other cons. If you're that interested, become an employee and find out.

- None. Not particularly worth giving.

5. Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at INgrooves full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Possibility to move up if you work hard.
    - Little oversight from management (could be good, could be bad).
    - Scrum process with lots (and lots) of overhead. If you're into the red tape and hours upon hours of useless scrum talk.
    - So many (useless) meetings. Great if you love talking about things without doing anything.
    - Get to spend your Friday night making sure the new Katy Perry or Justin Bieber albums go out. Your friends (if you still have any) will love you. Well, their children (which you will never have) will love you.

Cons

- Lots of problems with management. Have had lots of managers/heads/vps/whatever with little knowledge of the actual goods being developed or sold...but, of course, they like to think they know everything.
    - Many hours--late nights--weekends; lots of "it won't be this way next time". Don't believe it. It's always that way next time.
    - Many people have been fired (or "laid off") over the last few years. Many of these people were good.
    - Many new people have been hired who aren't familiar with the company.
    - Training is non-existent or, in the best case, awful. They say they'll train you. Hard to believe. Have yet to see it happen.
    - They say lots of things. Hard to believe any of it.
    - Management is terrible, demoralizing and has no social intelligence whatsover. I said it once, but it needs saying again: management is a joke.
    - Your position might get outsourced. Many positions have been outsourced.
    - They'll take whatever they can get, so become good at either saying "no", or protecting yourself in some other manner. You don't want to die here.

- Training should be given to newcomers.
    - Promised training should be given to seasoned workers right now. Let's not wait another year...
    - Take some of the blame.

6. Dymanic and creative Company in a fun industry!

I have been working at INgrooves full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working for this Company because I am able to be creative, and I collaborate with many interesting people on a daily basis. The industry is fun, the people are friendly and the leadership team encourages my success. The environment is casual (in some offices dogs are welcome!), the benefits are pretty good compared with similar sized organizations. We have regular company-wide meetings and there is also a suggestion box type program which is used to implement employee ideas.

Cons

If you are looking for a structured working environment with a lot of direction from leadership then this might not be the place for you. There is also a lot of change, both internally and in the industry so you need to be comfortable with that. The Company would benefit from improved onboarding and more professional development opportunities.

Continue to listen to employees, provide career development opportunities (not just promotions but opportunities to learn and grow), provide a more robust onboarding program so new hires can learn more about the business and how the different teams work together. Provide additional opportunities for people from different teams to get to know each other.

7. A company you will grow with, if you know how to embrace and navigate "change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at INgrooves full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Learn and grow with a company that is regularly adapting to an evolving marketplace. A lot is changing in the music business. I've learned more about myself professionally in nearly 8 years, than I could have learned in any school program!
    -Quality and direction of leadership has fluctuated over the years (to be expected as a start-up grows up). Today, it's top-notch! Lots of industry plus management expertise.
    -They always promote from within when there is a good fit.
    -Not afraid to make changes or think differently
    -Vacation time and music perks are good
    -Plenty of free snacks
    -Fun company outings and events

Cons

-The company mission could be clearer at every level, although it's already getting better
    -Communication between departments could use improvement
    -Breaking down the silos between execs and staff is needed, but also something that is getting better

Keep moving forward and making bold choices in the industry. Continue to make more of an effort to give employees a "voice", and never stop appreciating your people. More leaders are surfacing at every level of the company, continue to engage those particular people as valued leaders and do whatever it takes to keep them on your team.

Great talent everywhere, no real sense of direction

I have been working at INgrooves full-time

Pros

Very talented staff from lots of different backgrounds. Opportunity to be around and contribute to several different areas of the business

Cons

Rudderless. Indie music is stronger when it has an angle or a curatorial focus, and INgrooves has no specific area of focus. The quality of music and labels involved is an afterthought and the highest management doesn't have a clear understanding of where to hedge their bets, musically. Far too much focus on artists that have already reached a level of success rather than building something new.

Retention and morale would be higher if there was a sense of either getting to be part of something special, or offering great benefits/lifestyle. 401(k) matching! Bet on artists that can develop rather than artists that have hit their high water mark or there won't be any developing artists/labels that want to get involved given other options.

9. Pros & Cons

I have been working at INgrooves full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience in a fast-paced company, with the ability to continually learn something new everyday.

Cons

Senior Management doesn't care about the careers of their employees, if you are simply looking for a job that you can show up to everyday, perform, then go home and not worry about it, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a position with any type of mentorship or guidance from the executive team look elsewhere.

Invest in the development of your employees

10. Good place to work, but not without its problems

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at INgrooves full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ping-pong, foosball;
    fresh fruits every week;
    pizza, beer and wine for special occasions;
    laid-back working atmosphere;

Cons

limited growth potential;
    a lot of overtime work (can vary based on specialty);
    not all managers know how to work with people;

11. I had a great employment experience at INgrooves Fontana

Former Intern - Sales/Marketing Intern in Encino, CA
    Former Intern - Sales/Marketing Intern in Encino, CA

I worked at INgrooves as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This was a great opportunity for someone trying to make their way in to the music industry

Cons

The only downside to this job was there was no advancement opportunity during the time I was there even though I was there for quite some time

I think the company is great though I think they could be more proactive about keeping good people on staff