IOActive Reviews

1. DO NOT COME HERE

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive

Pros

Smart people for the most part

Cons

You've heard of MBO? Here it's MBB- Management By Bullying. CEO thinks we are all there to serve her, not the customer. Very poor morale; everyone I know here is looking for a new job.
    The founder of the company needs to get a REAL CEO- our current one has no business acumen; if you don't kiss up to her, she won't like you. Expected to spend every waking hour working-no work/life balance.
    The parties are inappropriate- part of the reason so many of the decent people are leaving here.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO- current one should be in sales- but then that would mean she would need to learn what we do.

Meritocracy? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I have been working at IOActive

Pros

Highly technical work. Interesting projects. Overall positive reputation in the industry. Good work-life balance. Many opportunities to learn.

Cons

Look at the other reviews here. Most of the five-star reviews are astroturf. Management doesn't want to hear criticism. The appearance of success matters more than results. Nepotism over merit.

The company is full of lazy and incompetent people at all levels. Nothing happens to them. Expect to be punished if you point it out.

They'll fly a "bodyguard" internationally and pay for wild, booze-fueled parties. They'll bicker over consultant salary, expenses, and research.

Lies and dishonesty. Promises are cheap. Don't expect follow through. Consultants are replaceable resources, so it's ok to keep them unhappy.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge you are driving the ship into the cliffs and don't know how to change course. Also, people know about what happened when you were out drinking. You've made us a joke in our local industry. Step down.

Fire dead weight. Reward your stronger employees. Do more with less.

Your product is your people. Start treating them as valuable. The brand is worthless without them.

Morale is terrible. Changes must happen or you will lose your best people.

Stay away. Dishonesty and nepotism hurting the company.

Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly technical, opportunity to work with some really interesting customers, and sometimes actually get some research done.
    The brand name still holds albeit getting downhill in the past couple of years because of bad management.
    Very "thrown into the deep-end' approach, that works very well with the hacker-type and allows for personal development.

Cons

Sometimes unethical.
    Management is horrible, a string of bad decisions in management hiring driving the company down the drain which shows (high turnover, good people leaving by the troves). For some reason management "protected" its bad decisions and make the problem even worse.
    Lying to employees in order to keep them on-board is becoming a common practice. Employees are getting highly disgruntled, and end up leaving (at all levels - consultants, senior consultants, managing consultants, directors, CTO, and a VP that finally got fired after 2 years of hurting the company).

Advice to Management

Get your act together.
    CEO should turn into VP sales, need to bring in a professional CEO who understands what the company does, nurture the unique culture, and drive the company forward (and no, don't bring them from a big 4...)
    Stand behind your word and obligation to your employees, and they might actually stay.

Unprofessional, dysfunctional, shady and offesive

I worked at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I saw. Although, if you like your work parties to include gallons of booze and strippers, I guess that's a plus.

Cons

Office culture: immature boys club (run by a CEO who needs constant babysitting) that requires lots of booze, strippers and catering to in the most unprofessional way. I was offended within weeks of working here by some of the cooler talk I heard (guys talking about strippers, sexual jokes, etc.) Management turnover is ridiculous and a clear red flag that this company is part of something dysfunctional. The managers who stay micromanage to an impossible degree and have no communication skills. They don't take ownership or encourage continuing education. And, if you are not one of the hackers, you don't matter to them. You are disposable and treated as such. This place might be right for young hackers who want to break stuff and get paid for it then go to a happy hour every night with their boss and get plowed. Otherwise if you are an administrative professional of any kind, you just have to sit back and wade through the dysfunction and demeaning work conversations because there is NO HR department and the management doesn't care about HR issues.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't take any advice because they are living in their own messed up world (or dark boozy basement) and seem to be quite happy slogging through as long as they get short term kudos.

Huge alcohol and party culture. Nepotism is strong with this company.

I worked at IOActive full-time

Pros

Engagements can be fun. You get to travel the world. Coworkers are fun to be around and very motivating. Being immersed in the industry is as career building as working in it.

Their legal department is spot on, always.

Cons

Huge alcohol and party culture. If you don't follow the "norm" in that regard, you will be treated differently and your opportunities will be less.

Operations team does little to nothing for most of the employees. It seems like they just don't know what they are doing and they don't particularly care about you unless you are in their "top 5 consultants" list.

I've seen many employees get the boot or get demoted in favor of friends of management. Often times, those friends don't have the relative experience necessary to fulfill those positions. There is a lack of respect between supervising directors and their charges.

There is no HR department, which makes it very hard to be heard when you do have a problem with another employee. Usually it's just brushed under the rug.

Advice to Management

Reorganize your management. Hire individuals who know how to communicate. Let go of anyone who didn't pass a standard interview process.

Dysfunctional Personified

I worked at IOActive

Pros

Some very talented people working here, so the chance to be part of a very skilled group of people is always a plus

Cons

CEO short on strategy and strong on micro management, so you end up with a constant churn of employees, just a few of the employees stay for any substantial amount of time. You can see this but looking at Linkedin. It;s a revolving door for a reason, they hire skilled people, who don't need to stay in a bad situation, so they leave in short order.

Advice to Management

Bring in a professional CEO, move the current one to VP of sales, which is much better skill set match

Starts out great, things change quick.

I worked at IOActive

Pros

Fun events, happy hours often, good benefits, friendly coworkers.

Cons

Minimal training, some practices feel unethical.

Tough, fair and fun

Current Employee - Security Consultant

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a pretty simple guy. I like to break stuff and IOA lets me. With so many hackers around it can be tough to keep up but thats part of the fun. We get to play and win CTF games and do cool research.

Cons

It is not always easy to get a visa to go where I want to go but Marty always does good work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the technical. I am glad we are not doing PCI anymore!!!

10. IOActive

I have been working at IOActive

Pros

Benefits are comparable to other employers.

Cons

Lack of contact with company due to offsite location.

Highly Technical, Intimate feel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive

Pros

Great environment, very easy to work with everyone

Cons

Very technical environment, you have to know your p's and q's before even walking in.

RSS Feed </> Embed