IOActive Reviews

1. Gravity of Genius

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IOActive is a great place to work if you want to work with the best and the brightest in the industry with no pretense. We check our ego's at the door and focus on doing good work for ourselves and our clients. I have never been somewhere with such a dynamic team willing to go the extra mile for one another; two thumbs up.

Cons

We could use some a few junior consultants to fetch my coffee.

Advice to Management

Keep it funky.

Rarefied Air

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have contributed to research that has reshaped the way the world perceives and adopts technology; I find this hands down amazing. I have seen news stories and white house policy change as a result of my and my co-workers research effort. I'm not sure where else I could do that but I'm happy its happened to me here and look forward to the next break.

Cons

Sometimes client projects slip and we have to be rerouted to another site. Not a show ender but a hassle none the less.

Advice to Management

Hack the planet!!

half full

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

IOActive is good if you are a true geek with skills looking to work on fun, challenging projects you would never see in the real world. If you are looking to just hide and collect a check, take a pass, you will be managed out.

Cons

There could be more cross over between the hardware and software teams and for those of us looking to get more into breaking gates, time on the FIB!

Advice to Management

Keep sending cookies.

5. DO NOT COME HERE

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive

Pros

Smart people for the most part

Cons

You've heard of MBO? Here it's MBB- Management By Bullying. CEO thinks we are all there to serve her, not the customer. Very poor morale; everyone I know here is looking for a new job. The founder of the company needs to get a REAL CEO- our current one has no business acumen; if you don't kiss up to her, she won't like you. Expected to spend every waking hour working-no work/life balance. The parties are inappropriate- part of the reason so many of the decent people are leaving here.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO- current one should be in sales- but then that would mean she would need to learn what we do.

Tough, fair and fun

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a pretty simple guy. I like to break stuff and IOA lets me. With so many hackers around it can be tough to keep up but thats part of the fun. We get to play and win CTF games and do cool research.

Cons

It is not always easy to get a visa to go where I want to go but Marty always does good work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the technical. I am glad we are not doing PCI anymore!!!

IOActive

I have been working at IOActive

Pros

Benefits are comparable to other employers.

Cons

Lack of contact with company due to offsite location.

Meritocracy? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I have been working at IOActive

Pros

Highly technical work. Interesting projects. Overall positive reputation in the industry. Good work-life balance. Many opportunities to learn.

Cons

Look at the other reviews here. Most of the five-star reviews are astroturf. Management doesn't want to hear criticism. The appearance of success matters more than results. Nepotism over merit. The company is full of lazy and incompetent people at all levels. Nothing happens to them. Expect to be punished if you point it out. They'll fly a "bodyguard" internationally and pay for wild, booze-fueled parties. They'll bicker over consultant salary, expenses, and research. Lies and dishonesty. Promises are cheap. Don't expect follow through. Consultants are replaceable resources, so it's ok to keep them unhappy.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge you are driving the ship into the cliffs and don't know how to change course. Also, people know about what happened when you were out drinking. You've made us a joke in our local industry. Step down. Fire dead weight. Reward your stronger employees. Do more with less. Your product is your people. Start treating them as valuable. The brand is worthless without them. Morale is terrible. Changes must happen or you will lose your best people.

Stay away. Dishonesty and nepotism hurting the company.

Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly technical, opportunity to work with some really interesting customers, and sometimes actually get some research done. The brand name still holds albeit getting downhill in the past couple of years because of bad management. Very "thrown into the deep-end' approach, that works very well with the hacker-type and allows for personal development.

Cons

Sometimes unethical. Management is horrible, a string of bad decisions in management hiring driving the company down the drain which shows (high turnover, good people leaving by the troves). For some reason management "protected" its bad decisions and make the problem even worse. Lying to employees in order to keep them on-board is becoming a common practice. Employees are getting highly disgruntled, and end up leaving (at all levels - consultants, senior consultants, managing consultants, directors, CTO, and a VP that finally got fired after 2 years of hurting the company).

Advice to Management

Get your act together. CEO should turn into VP sales, need to bring in a professional CEO who understands what the company does, nurture the unique culture, and drive the company forward (and no, don't bring them from a big 4...) Stand behind your word and obligation to your employees, and they might actually stay.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at IOActive full-time

Pros

Tons of Opportunities to grow. let me first say this is not a company that will hold your hand as your go through the process of building your career, but everything is there for the taking. There are tons of smart people and lots of resources, a large variety of work, and opportunities to even travel like crazy if that is your thing. If you can take responsibility for your own career then this is a perfect environment to help you grow or to set you up working with the top people and clients. There is a place for everyone in terms of company culture and outside of work life. If you like to party there's a strong party scene, even if you like to kick back or have a quiet evening there are opportunities. I personally tried out both, I found a deal of encouragement, brotherhood, and friendship working at IOA.

Cons

There are a lot of strong personalities and different structures within IOA that initially seemed a bit unstructured. However, I quickly realized sitting around and doing nothing got me no where, reaching out, connecting and asking for things got me everywhere.

Unprofessional, dysfunctional, shady and offesive

I worked at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I saw. Although, if you like your work parties to include gallons of booze and strippers, I guess that's a plus.

Cons

Office culture: immature boys club (run by a CEO who needs constant babysitting) that requires lots of booze, strippers and catering to in the most unprofessional way. I was offended within weeks of working here by some of the cooler talk I heard (guys talking about strippers, sexual jokes, etc.) Management turnover is ridiculous and a clear red flag that this company is part of something dysfunctional. The managers who stay micromanage to an impossible degree and have no communication skills. They don't take ownership or encourage continuing education. And, if you are not one of the hackers, you don't matter to them. You are disposable and treated as such. This place might be right for young hackers who want to break stuff and get paid for it then go to a happy hour every night with their boss and get plowed. Otherwise if you are an administrative professional of any kind, you just have to sit back and wade through the dysfunction and demeaning work conversations because there is NO HR department and the management doesn't care about HR issues.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't take any advice because they are living in their own messed up world (or dark boozy basement) and seem to be quite happy slogging through as long as they get short term kudos.

RSS Feed </> Embed