IPL (Indiana)

Ken Zagzebski

Amazing People

Current Employee - Information Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at IPL (Indiana) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone in the IT department are amazingly nice, the whole company it's self is full of great people. That's how it is at Morris Street location anyways.

Cons

None after the first few months. I accepted the 23/hr as I had no experience and for a college kid it's amazing. Then later found out the others with experience are making vastly more, around 30-35/hr

Keep up the great work.

Customer service department functions like no other dept at ipl.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at IPL (Indiana)

Pros

Many wonderful co-workers who care about and support each other.

Cons

Most reps do not like their job and its so sad. As a brand new rep I was so disappointed to hear day after day reps who have been there for years upset about the working conditions. The saying around there is they don't care and they don't care that we know they don't care.

Try to be a little empathetic to the reps. Appreciate how hard they work and try not to make it your full time job to look for the worst in a person to give them an error or an occurrence etc. to get rid of them in the never ending revolving door. Consider their efforts and truly take part is making a rep be the best they can be with positive reinforcement. Take less time in meetings less time micromanaging our every word on a phone call and give more positive feedback. Respond to your reps in a positive way. Take a serious look at your training process. Focus a little more on magic expectations in training. Stop reading into what magic is all about. Its about forming a connection between rep and customer. Quit with the empathy and tone from the get go. Listen and evaluate the entire call. Stop reading negatively into the call and nip picking at details that don't matter. Take responsibility for your commitments. In general treat your csr's in a way you would expect to be treated.

Time for rebranding is long past due

Former Employee - I Had Multiple Titles During My Time There in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at IPL (Indiana) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part of the global AES Corporation, which can leverage best in class processes across a world wide fleet

Cons

Too many legacy employees are stuck in the 1980s, long before the AES acquisition occurred

Rebrand ipl as AES Indiana or AES Midwest (along with DPL) and retire the legacy company names. The young adult generation has a higher perception of AES than they do of ipl as an aging, coal-fired (polluting) regulated utility company.

Chaotic mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at IPL (Indiana) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riding on the legacy of what was once a pretty good company. Good benefits. Some very good, competent, dedicated people - they are getting harder to find as they burn out and/or leave.

Cons

Obsession with phony, one-sided corporate culture. No matter how incompetent, arrogant, or mean you are, if you live the culture, you will rise in this pile of manure.

Stop punishing Indianapolis for your numerous and costly failures else where in the world. Quit convincing yourself you are a world class company when you are anything but. And weed out the abusive and self grandstanding upper and middle managers. You have no clue how low morale has sunk, and you will fail for lack of good people that can really do the hard work that is ahead.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Engineer in Petersburg, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Petersburg, IN

I worked at IPL (Indiana) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent job with great people

Cons

None that I can think of.

Hard company to get hired at

Current Employee - Customer Service in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at IPL (Indiana) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, Good Company good vaction

Cons

Mangement only cares about their selfs

emphany

Great environment, but upper management needs to take employee concerns more serious.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at IPL (Indiana)

Pros

Great Learning environment, flexible work schedule, family oriented environment, strong community involvement, Competitive wages, great benefits, safe workplace, great health programs.

Cons

Since the company was bought by AES, the company has been changing. IPL is losing its family feel and is being run in the best interest of those that reap the profits.

Stop and think about what really is important in life. Moving up in management is great in life, but for it to truly be great those under you should still have respect for you when you move up.

Engineering Co-op

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at IPL (Indiana)

Pros

The Co-op has been a great experience for me. I have been able to jump to different departments learning about the power utility industry.

Cons

The average age is around 50 years old. Many people working in the industry are concerned with the future of the utility industry.

Keep on hiring co-ops and interns. The utility industry is aging quickly and college grads will be the future of the industry.

Great Internship

I have been working at IPL (Indiana)

Pros

Employee Oriented - I was able to meet with a speak with when ever I wanted the president, any of the VPs or really anyone in the company. Everyone was very welcoming.

Cons

People are just content not interacting with each other. I could go days at a time with out seeing anyone walking around.

Current Employee - Street Lighting Intern
    Current Employee - Street Lighting Intern

I have been working at IPL (Indiana)

Pros

Great people. Challenging projects for interns.

Cons

Supervision is lacking. Opportunity for Full-Time Employment after internship does not exist.

Bring interns back for Full Time positions.

IPL (Indiana) Photos