IPSoft Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
178 reviews filtered by
IPSoft President and CEO Chetan Dube
Chetan Dube

Pros
  • Open Door Policy, Upward mobility (in 4 reviews)

• If one has that desire to explore new stuff (at his/her own) then you can learn a lot (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, salary, cab management, less resources too much work load (in 15 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Linux/Unix Systems Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Linux/Unix Systems Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at IPSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the design of the NOC, how the teams were split up in terms of speciality: Apps, DB, Linux/UNIX, Windows, Networking, Help Desk. Enjoyed learning from fellow Linux/UNIX admins and bouncing ideas off of smart people.

Cons

Everyone threw profanity around left and right. Didn't appreciate it one bit.

Advice to Management

Make it a point to make the workplace more professional simply by frowning upon the use of profanity.

2. Great place to start a career

I have been working at IPSoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IPsoft is a known name and player in the industry, and if you can make it past the two year mark here you will have no issues finding work elsewhere.The automated systems handle a lot of the BS you'd normally be stuck dealing with at other jobs.

Cons

All of the success stories that HR and management like to share with you are very special cases. If you're going to come to IPsoft, bear in mind they are a typical MSP and will work you to death for as little money as possible. If you are not in the top 1% of your field, or one of the homeboys in NY there is no advancement potential for you beyond L2 or maybe L3.

Advice to Management

Give a damn about your employees

Your Biggest Strength or Weakness here is your Attitude

I have been working at IPSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Coming in, the pay, benefits, and incentives in this company are excellent. They meet and exceed my expectations and appear to be very much at the industry standard.
    2) The general environment and culture is fairly relaxed and it is not difficult to seek and receive assistance from any of the other teams if I need to engage them. It can be daunting to reach out at first, but once you learn how to communicate and with whom to speak, it's not so hard.
    3) Within my team and within my office there is a fairly open door to management. Most management is relaxed enough to accept your questions and suggestions and respond to them with helpful information. This is excellent, and I'm very impressed at how open the communication is allowed to be.
    4) This is an IT management company that has its fingers in many different IT operations around the world. You will be exposed to everything under the sun, and the opportunities for personal growth and learning are limitless.
    5) The company talks about itself as a meritocracy, and I believe this to be true. Hard work is promptly rewarded with praise and additional responsibilities, and potentially incentives.
    6) From my observations, IPsoft puts a lot of effort into its facilities at all of its offices. They tend to go for nice skyscraper offices wherever they have an operation and they invest a lot into making it a nice and pleasant place to work.
    7) The company's operational framework is very loose and appears to be intentionally left undefined in a lot of areas. This means that you are given a great deal of freedom in how you choose to execute your duties (just so long as they get done).

Cons

1) IPsoft does not appear to invest much into training and onboarding its new staff. You are given some computer courses to go through that skim over the crust of what the company does, and then you are introduced to the tasks of your role and expected to grow into it on your own. Given the huge scope of what IPsoft does and the massive amount of knowledge that you will eventually have to acquire to fully grow into your role, this leads to a great deal of initial frustration - even for successful employees.
    2) At first, IPsoft's internal communications and escalation paths appear very opaque and confusing, and it isn't always clear who performs what role within the company. Similar to the last point, this leads to a great deal of frustration on the part of newer employees. This is fairly easy to overcome if you're willing to swallow your fear, learn how to find information, and reach out if needed.
    3) Referring to point 7 of the pros, the loose and undefined framework also represents a challenge to the employees who expect better defined procedures and tighter management of their workdays. You have to assume a great deal more responsibility in your day to day work to communicate and engage other teams, troubleshoot, and plan out your tasks. There is a distinct success gap between those who expect their work to be defined for them and those who are willing to define their own work. In short, self starters - who are willing to assume all that responsibility - are the most successful.
    4) And of course, since the company is highly successful and presents a good product, it is growing rapidly and is experiencing a lot of growing pains.

To summarize, the company offers great incentives, rewards for hard work, great opportunities for personal growth, and a very loose framework in which to accomplish your tasks. The looseness of it all, however, also represents the biggest challenge to newcomers who aren't used to having that much responsibility. By that, I mean responsibility for ensuring good communication with others in the company, responsibility for taking on new tasks and planning them out to completion, and responsibility for learning what they need to learn to get the work done.

The best analogy that I can make is that, for many, coming to this company is a lot like going to college after completing high school. In high school, your day is tightly controlled and well defined, with your parents to guide you along the way. In college you assume the responsibility for defining your day, your workloads, and how you will get that A, and no one will pick things up if you fail. You either sink or swim; you can't just float along, and the ones who are willing to assume more responsibility and learn how to make it work are more likely to swim than those who don't want to.

Advice to Management

1) Continue seizing the day and rewarding excellence.
    2) At the same time, though, don't overheat the company through crazy rapid expansion. In lieu of that, continue to hire like mad.
    3) Adjust roles for team leaders and department heads so that they have more bandwidth to guide and give direction to their subordinates.
    4) Too much of the company's fortunes rest on the shoulders of too few people, who represent single points of failure at high levels. Work on delegating and/or teaching others on how to do what they do, so that the operation can function more smoothly during off hours.

Party central

I worked at IPSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to have a good time and have no career goals. Perfect place to work and socialize. No professionalism, Upper management is very lenient towards middle management.

Cons

Routine tasks, no growth, management is all under a few people so you better be on their good side.

Hopeful for their progress in ten years, but not now.

I have been working at IPSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a very chill place to work. A keg in the office, food, drinks, occasional parties, food trucks. Great benefits. My building manager is an awesome guy and he speaks really well for the CEO. I do feel like the company has a solid product that can take the market by storm.

Cons

I seem to have arrived during a time of growth where there is absolutely no organizational structure. Managers see problems but cannot or will not fix them. Communication is rather terrible, I was told it was my responsibility to babysit other coworkers when they're not doing their jobs on issues that I had nothing to do with. I've been completely ignored by my direct supervisor multiple times and just about screamed at others for stuff I had nothing to do with. There is no training program and no technical documentation to help any part of your job. The learning curve is pretty huge because they use custom java applications that use notes that are great for programmers but are complete gibberish to those who speak english and didn't design the programs. Very unclear rules and policies. I'm also being offered jobs that are literally double the pay as this company got me in on. They also screwed a good chunk of the new hires out of pay increases, which should have been prorated (so now they have to wait another year before they see a penny more). I do not feel as though I am part of a team, and I feel the job is fairly dead-end.

Advice to Management

Develop your management structure and start acting like the huge company you are. Tell your CEO to calm the hell down and relax his grip, otherwise he's going to strangle his own company. You can't expect people to work for you at half the rate of other companies while you're releasing press articles that say you're making record amounts of profit.

I can see myself spending the next 10-15 years of my career here.

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IPSoft

Pros

Company perks, events and opportunity to grow/develop.

Cons

Some parts of the company/management needs work. But I've seen this at every company I've ever worked for in my career.

Advice to Management

We need more focus on quality instead of quantity. More emphasis is put on producing a good marketing campaign than supporting our product at the level we are trying to sell. It seems the sales engineers are too influential when it comes to running the business, which causes problems with operations and engineering.

IPsoft Review

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at IPSoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a “true” HR team comprised of coordinators and generalist. If anyone works outside of New York, HR is one phone call away, they can also be contacted via email, the internal instant messenger, directly with their manager, office managers and recruiters are required to assist as well.

For those working shifts, yes, it is IT and shift work is prevalent throughout the industry. It is a very standard practice in IT. After a period of time, engineers who have done a great job are more than welcome to apply to a different role within the company and managers will review. This is very encouraged.

The team culture is great here and the company is growing. As the company expands, there will be growing pains to staff quick enough and the company works hard to get things moving quickly. I've seen it with the amount of new business coming in and our massive partnership deals. Being part of a growing company doing fine work is seen as a plus by my peers here as well. Any reviewer who says otherwise, is not being honest.

For the sweatshop comments, they are fraudulent. Feel free to check our locations for further details. Anyone who is anyone who has stepped foot into IPsoft offices knows this this is not a sweatshop. The IPsoft real estate locations and internal infrastructure speaks for itself. In addition there is food, drinks, internal wellness programs, monthly activities and again an open door policy to discuss any suggestion further with managers or HR.

There is no sexual discrimination and find it pretty nasty someone would stoop to such a low level and blatantly lie about it. We have a very diverse culture of males and females in our NYC office.

There is a ton of educational information available to help us grow and as written by other true and honest posts, your career is in your hands here. Glad to be a part of it.

Cons

We are required to type here, but I have none.

busy

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IPSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Innovative, growing company. Why is there a twenty word minimum? I think it has been accurately summed up.

Cons

This is a software company, not a network management company. No one understands operations here. Good if you're on the development team; bad for the majority of the people that aren't. There is a very detailed training system for new hires, but in reality it is not that helpful. Once you are on a particular shift, you are stuck there. Some shifts are very understaffed. Ticket hand offs are out of control.

5 star ratings for this company are a joke

Former Employee - Linux/Unix Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Linux/Unix Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at IPSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you need a job while you search for a real one, this is the perfect place.

If you want to, you can find ways to not do any 'real' work your entire shift by playing pass the tickets.

Cons

The company tells is employees to post 5 start ratings on glassdoor.

Management uses fear to try and motivate staff...

IPsoft is a glorified helpdesk so if passing tickets around and around is your thing, this is the place for you.

Do not get holidays off... don't let them lie to you. The NOC always needs coverage...

Advice to Management

Think of what your staff need and make the environment a healthier atmosphere.

Don't lie about what the job is, company is, opportunities are, etc. because there are way better opportunities out there than working for IPsoft.

Quit using fear to try and motivate; it brings morale down and kills productivity because it creates a scene that interrupts the work day.

IPSoft is a fast growing company with a lot of opportunity to learn

Former Employee - Network Engineer
    Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at IPSoft full-time

Pros

The company is growing very quickly and seems to be going places. You have the opportunity to be exposed to many technologies and if you take advantage of it, it can prove very valuable for your career. The environment is very fast paced and a pro of being in a fast paced environment is that in 6 months you learn what probably takes 2 years to learn in house at another companies IT department. The bonus structure is unique and depending on how hard of a worker you are this can be a negative thing or it can be very rewarding. Overall there are many things the company has the ability to change and do better but my time there has really paved the way for me to have a successful career and has opened many doors.

Cons

The company is way under staffed and operations is the least of the CEO's concerns since his ultimate goal is to automate everything, With automation being the CEO's primary focus it seems like operations is just a farm for the time being until operations can be shrunken down to as minimal staff as possible. The turn over rate is worse then I have ever seen and seems to be mostly due to salary and the fact that management will not higher a proper amount of staff so each engineer has a realistic work load.

Advice to Management

If I had to give management any advise it would be to show the staff you actually care about them and not that they are as replaceable as toilet paper. A real opportunity to go to training would show some of that appreciation. An increase in the overall ceiling for engineer salaries and a 25% to 35% increase for all existing engineers would give you employee retention which is obviously an issue. I would also suggest to hire 20 to 30 more engineers so the workload is realistic and this would give each employee time to truly resolve issues and not just push tickets around. In addition a move from one part of a team to another is not a lateral move since it involves working with a lot more technology. Lastly if an employee is a network engineer, career growth would not be considered putting them into a position that works on technology that has nothing to do with networking which brings me to my last point of the company not being perceived as a company you can spend your career at.

PS

Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on parties throughout the year would be better served in the employees pockets. Many other people I know in the industry working for the largest fortune companies in the world do not have the event budget IPSoft seems to have. Although the parties are very enjoyable I'm sure every employee would rather see the money in their paycheck and go to a small office party.

IPSoft Photos