IQ Agency

IQ Agency Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Tony Quin

Productive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery talented people working there.

ConsThe office decoration needs some work to make it more homey.

A 60-hr week was a GOOD week...

ProsGreat culture, values, projects, clients, perks

Conswork-life balance, overtime was a norm, burnt out

A great place to work

Interactive Project Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIQ has a culture that welcomes everyone's input, regardless of seniority or department. Employees are given a great deal of autonomy and there is enormous opportunity to learn, grow, and pursue career goals. The company values and supports the development of individual strengths, and makes a point to ensure that team members are placed on projects that are best suited for their interests and skill sets. There is no one strict way of doing things, and teams are empowered to find the best solution for the specific situation.

The work is good, and getting better. The people are great. There are, of course, the ad agency perks you might expect - ping-pong, darts, a kegerator, summer Fridays. There are also a handful of very IQ-specific perks, including a nanny share, which means employees are treated to the the occasional baby-pushing-another-baby-in-a-walker sighting. Oh, and there is a great work/life balance (seriously).

ConsIQ is small agency, which means managers also play the roles of account leads, creative directors, strategists, etc. There are times when everyone is busy - including department heads. Because of this, there is sometimes limited involvement/availability from direct supervisors. This is not the best environment for someone who needs a lot of hand holding or day-to-day instruction.

Because of IQ's size and the nature of the digital space, the process is constantly in flux. The lack of established process and documentation creates confusion and conflict at times. This is a drawback of the "no one strict way of doing things" I mentioned in the "pros" column.

Oh, and the location/commute isn't great for those of us who live ITP (though the office is nice).

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly communicate/make sure employees understand the long term vision for the company. Establish a program for ongoing employee training and development. Keep the monthly town hall meetings going.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly Talented

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHugely talented people
    Great work on major brands
    Lots of room to grow professionally
    Strength based
    Great work life balance

ConsInternal politics can sometimes get in the way
    Location for some (but the office space is awesome)
    Small

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the talented people do what you hired hem to do. Trust people more.

It was a great experience that changed my career for the better

Creative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEvery agency has its challenges and its up and down periods, but I can honestly say my time at IQ was the most fun I've ever had at an agency. I was there for almost five years, and I learned a tremendous amount while i was there. IQ always seems to build crews of extremely talented and genuinely good people.

There is a culture of shared accountability and ownership which is truly rare in the agency world.

I was compensated fairly. When i did well, I was promoted and compensated even better.

And while their offices may not be "intown," they're darn cool.

I will - clearly - always have a warm place in my heart for IQ and Tony Quin, the owner.

ConsThe agency has sadly had more up and down periods than i would have ever liked to see, but they keep pushing and trying. Beyond that, the only issues I had really weren't worth mentioning.

One of the worst agency in the country!

Interactive Project Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe best thing about IQ is that there is so much potential to be a great agency. Executive management has some great relationships with CEOs of major brands. The new building is one of the best agency spaces in the Atlanta area. Very easy commute

ConsExecutive management kills the potential by getting into its agency's own way. There's not a lot of processes in place. IQ has a history of releasing some of its best people - 3 rounds of layoffs in year is scary

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a balance between process, creativity and functionality. Understand that great ideas can come from anywhere in the agency.

Great start in the industry, loved the team

Digital Strategist (Former Employee) Smyrna, GA

ProsGreat talent, good culture, IQ does not hire jerks. I was given incredible opportunity far above my title that helped launch my career, fast-track me in the industry, doubled my salary from my work at IQ within two years

ConsLarge round of lay-offs when I was there that weren't handled the best

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify the portfolio to prevent lay-offs, kills the vibe for everyone else

Learned a ton, stacks up high against other local shops, no barriers if you want to take responsibility and move up fast

(Former Employee)

ProsIQ has big brands and strong talent for the size.
    It has this entrepreneurial, smaller-shop spirit but the big clients to give you the career experience needed.
    The agency has been around a while so it has a wealth of experience at senior levels.
    The agency has a good grip on the digital landscape.
    The culture is great and it was super fun to work there. Made lots of friends.

ConsTypical agency process stuff wears you down from time to time but not out of the norm if you know the advertising biz.

Small Shop with Big Talent

ProsThe work/life balance is fantastic. The management really respects the personal lives of all employees.
    Free snacks and Waffle Fridays
    The clients are impressive for this size agency
    The culture is laid back and absent of the politics that plague larger agencies
    Onsite nanny

ConsThe agency is experiencing some growing pains
    The location isn't great - just OTP
    Medical premiums are really high for dependents (but free for employees)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep open lines with employees. Transparency decreases stress.

Ideal place to work & advance

Digital Marketing Strategist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros- IQ consistently recruits top-notch talent.
    - The executive management team is receptive to new information--both from employee input & changing market conditions. This is especially useful in business development.
    - Collaborative thinking is encouraged. The agency does not limit its innovation to designated "thinkers."
    - The company is respectful of people's work-related passions. I recently took on a large, unbillable project & my boss supported me throughout the process.
    - In-office snacks, company events, and regular meetings with bosses (both at a department and agency-wide level) contribute to a positive company culture.
    - IQ is a privately owned agency that prefers to hire employees over contractors. Employees care about the agency & treat their coworkers accordingly.
    - Compensation is above average for Atlanta agencies.

Cons- The Vinings office location may inconvenience some agency vets; most ATL agencies are in Midtown.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Worked for IQ Agency? Contribute to the Community!