IQ Solutions

Ileana Quintas

Solid Opportunity for Self Starters with a Focus on Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at IQ Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The corporate culture has is evolving, and mostly for the better. A focus on remote work and flexible schedules makes this a good place for young married couples, parents, etc. Younger professionals straight out of their undergraduate or graduate programs will find a fairly challenging work environment. It's a great place if you're looking for client management experience. IQ has nice Wellness Program that involves a whole range of activities. Many of the exercise classes appeal to mostly women (pilates, yoga, etc.) but there are other programs that do appeal to both, such as the tennis camp, indoor soccer, softball, running club, etc. Things are structured, but not overly so, leaving room for opportunity and growth.

Cons

It can be difficult working for Federal clients, which make up most of company's scope of work. If you're more interested in execution of public health, communications, IT, web, or graphic design work, it could be frustrating. Because the clients overemphasize academic degrees, specifically Master's or higher, the company seems to as well, making it very difficult for intelligent and fully capable professionals without those degrees to advance.

Work very hard and reap benefits

I have been working at IQ Solutions full-time

Pros

The company does a lot of hiring/promotion from within. Benefits are good, including dental insurance, life insurance, on-site exercise classes. Forward-looking in terms of technology and encourages innovation. One of the hardest-working, most intense contracting companies with some interesting projects.

Cons

Managers and above work on proposals without additional pay. Hours can be very long, there is a lot of stress. Some top-level management does not take prompt action with chronic problem employees, which affects morale. Do not work here unless you want to work very, very hard.

Lots of Growth Potential for Self-Starters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Flint Springs, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Flint Springs, MD

I have been working at IQ Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are two main departments within IQ - the communications department and the technology group. While these two groups work together, they each have their own cultures. My primary experience has been with the technology group.

The technology group is great. I like the people I work with; they are fun, smart, and I learn something new all the time. I constantly get new challenges and I work to be better at my job. There have been plenty of opportunities for professional growth - I feel that there are people who can mentor me; there are opportunities to work on projects that help me learn new skills; and IQ is willing to send people to classes/seminars/trainings.

I love the data drive, research-backed approaches to solving client needs. It's great to see a company practicing what it preaches.

Management has been very receptive to ideas for improving processes, professional development opportunities, and giving me the freedom to pursue these interests.

Cons

- The company is what you make of it. If you're not a self-starter, you're going to have trouble rising through the ranks.
    - Generally, I think it's difficult for people entering the work force to dive into this atmosphere without some previous experience.

Keep it up! I love the support and coming to work every day. I can't say I've ever had the feeling before.

Interview

I worked at IQ Solutions

Pros

Great!! atmosphere, Friendly, nice people. good work-life balance

Cons

none. nothing negative to say about

A great place to work that offers flexibility and an ability to constantly grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at IQ Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IQ Solutions offers a flexible workplace with lots of telecommuting options (depending on your clients); the ability to grow in whatever career direction you would like, and great colleagues who share a commitment to making a difference in public health.

Cons

The biggest challenge in working here are that it operates in the government consulting space. Therefore, your ability to innovate is somewhat dependent upon what clients you work with. In addition, the volume of work can sometimes be high since it's difficult to predict or plan for when proposals will be released.

Managers have responsibility for marketing, writing proposals, managing and mentoring teams and client work. It's a lot for one person to handle, and thinking about creative ways to restructure responsibilities could improve work life balance and overall productivity.

Corrupt Management & Lackeys

I have been working at IQ Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent and knowledgeable peers. Great work life balance. Company encourages personal growth outside of the company i.e. Gradschool. Compensation wasn't bad. Lots of free food.

Cons

Worked in a hostile work environment where cursing out co-workers and nepotism was the norm. Management only cared about getting the job done on budget. Relied heavily on high-performers but did little to nothing to reward them in terms of pay or promotional opportunities. Company flat out lied to its employees that they would keep their jobs on the contract and laid all but two off three months later. The two that kept there job were management's lackeys.

Lack of promotion opportunities and stingy with raises. Get rid of the dead weight and use those funds to reward those who excel. Actually enforce HR policies on everyone not just lower level employees. Don't lie to workers about their job prospects respect their professionalism to complete at contract.

A Washington Post Top Workplace

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at IQ Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family-like atmosphere and diverse staff culture at IQ. Broad involvement with public health programs, both governmental and non-governmental. Staff watched the World Cup together and share cultural food luncheons regularly. A liberal work-from-home policy. Computerized treadmills and walking meetings provide a healthy change from standard work/meet fare. Educational advancement is important and study is reimbursed.

It is what you make it

I have been working at IQ Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have one of the best remote work policies I've seen. Up to 3 days remote if you prove yourself after 6 months. The work is challenging and interesting -- especially considering it's government -- and there's a lot of freedom propose new approaches. The people are nice and the compensation is fair. You are not micromanaged.

It is not a good place for people who are not self-motivated. People assume you are working and know what you're doing. If you don't, you will be let go.

It is a good place to work if you have a family, there's a lot of people here with kids and the company recognizes that.

Cons

Reviews are only annually, it would be nice to have them more frequently to increase the speed of advancement. Medical coverage is good, but it costs around $200/month.

Increase transparency about the reasoning behind company-wide decisions and strategy.

The worst ever

I worked at IQ Solutions as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They had free fruit in the kitchen sometimes. That's it.

Cons

The review below mine is completely fake and here's why:

- "Family-like atmosphere and diverse staff culture at IQ." - No. Everyone keeps to themselves because, as another reviewer mentioned, every minute you spend on a project must be accounted for. People do not hang around and chit-chat; everyone is miserable and they clearly can't wait to clock out.

"Broad involvement with public health programs, both governmental and non-governmental." - No. The majority of their projects come from one contract and, as a result, people are constantly scrambling to find work to do to fill up their hours.

"Staff watched the World Cup together and share cultural food luncheons regularly." - I wasn't there when the World Cup was on but the only "cultural food luncheons" we had were incredibly boring and useless bi-weekly staff meetings where cheap sandwiches were served.

"A liberal work-from-home policy." - No. If you are a contractor, you can only work from home during inclement weather. If you are an employee, they arbitrarily decide who can and cannot work from home on certain days. More than one person I know was told that they would definitely be allowed to work from home once they converted to employee status, only to be told that "their contract didn't allow for that."

"Computerized treadmills and walking meetings provide a healthy change from standard work/meet fare." - No. As another reviewer mentioned, there are two pathetic treadmills outside of the conference room that nobody ever uses.

"It's important to think out of the box at IQ Solutions...non-traditional approaches are encouraged. Self-motivation and a thorough knowledge of one's expertise is important." - This is the biggest lie of all. I can't speak from an employee standpoint, but as a contractor, I was repeatedly notified that my opinion had no value. They have no interest in improving the way they do things, especially if there was a remote possibility that it might make things more efficient.

A few other things that glowing review did not mention:

- The cleaning staff did not take out the trash regularly. It's a miracle there were no rodents.

- There are way too many project managers and only a few of them are actually management material. I made one mistake one time that resulted in no loss of time or work, and I was actually forced to listen to not one but three lectures about it.

- As a result of the hawk-like monitoring of hours, it was impossible to build any kind of friendly relationship with my manager.

- Don't be fooled for one minute by any promises or guarantees that they give you. They are completely untrustworthy people who don't know how to run a business.

Don't make the same mistake that I made. Stay away.

Treat your employees like they have value. Stop promoting every person who's been there for a year to a management position when they have no qualities that actually make them a good manager. Don't pretend like you value feedback when you really don't.

very good

Current Employee - Intern in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Rockville, MD

I have been working at IQ Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good environment, excellent coworkers, easy going

Cons

limited advancement potential, sometimes slow