IQE Reviews

8 reviews filtered by
1.7
IQE President, CEO, and Director Drew Nelson
Drew Nelson

1. Listen to customers, including passing the customer expectations timely to key departments or functional groups.

I have been working at IQE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company as a whole is in transition phase from small individual groups to a bigger ONE. System is under development, and more can be learned in this transition for new comers.

Cons

The overall trend of the industry is not looking promising for the company if New Product Launch or new product lines can not be released by R&D on time.

Advice to Management

Spend time and collect inputs from all levels of employees, not just listen to one side of the story.

2. Wow. That is all I have to say.

Former Employee - Characterization Technician in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Characterization Technician in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at IQE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Surprisingly low cost compared to other employers.

Cons

The morale of employees. This place may have been the cat's meow back in the day; but in this day and age it is a terrible company. Apparently you can underachieve here or do the bare minimum and get promoted. Better yet you can sleep on the job and get promoted.

There is a lack of communication between management and employees. The lack of this causes a severe case of loss of respect.

Employees here are expected to slave away while management pads their pockets and make decisions that are detrimental to employee growth and company growth.

The equipment here is so old and decrepit that it all needs to be replaced.

The old adage goes "To make money, you have spend money." This company refuses to do so.

So glad I'm getting out.

Advice to Management

Loosen up the straps on the pocket book and get some equipment that is reliable. Hire more employees that can cover when people call out so that reactors don't sit idle. This company can be great once again if you get your heads out of your butts.

Highs and lows

I have been working at IQE full-time

Pros

Dynamic and fast paced
    Total RF portfolio customer base
    Attempting to expand into non-RF business ventures.

Cons

Expanding to quickly
    Total focus on money and revenue that can stall projects
    communication and internal competition

Advice to Management

Utilize the facilities that have been brought into IQE group. The talent base across the company is highly capable and should have little supervision to accomplish corporate goals.

Could I give zero star?

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Taunton, MA

I have been working at IQE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health package is good for those who never get sick. Even you need to go to hospital a bit, you still pay less than staying with a lot other companies. Cons explain why.

Cons

This place is full of slave drivers. Engineers get beaten so hard to work. Almost everyone needs to work during weekend, no matter in the company or at home. The management is poor. Decisions are often made in a rush. No good organization for projects. Top guys never care the life of the engineers. No respect.

Advice to Management

No word.

IQE is nothing to write home about.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at IQE

Pros

The benefits package is very good over all. For example, health benefits are excellent in my opinion. We pay a part of our coverage, but when compared to other companies we pay less.

Cons

Unfortunately there is a need to know culture here at IQE. Management over all does not seem to think highly of it's employees. This shows in the attitude and pay. Also, there is no way to offer feedback up the chain of command. There is so much potential here for IQE to be great, and we shoot ourselves in the foot more often then not.

Advice to Management

Start respecting people for what they can contribute. When they do well, reward them for it. Make us feel like part of a team rather than just an expendable cog in the machine. Respect is a two way street and must be earned on both sides. Management should make the first move. And, above all, learn to take advice from your employees. They might just have an eloquent solution to a problem that the higher ups just didn't think of.

No where to move up to.

Current Employee - MBE Technician in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - MBE Technician in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at IQE

Pros

The three day schedule is beneficial for making plans outside of work. Also, the job doesn't come home with you once your day/week is done.

Cons

Management doesn't know half of production, the pay is terrible, half of the equipment is broken, and management does a very good job of keeping everyone in the dark.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see them take the time to get to know new employees and at least act interested. Also rate people based on education and background, rather than lump all new hires into one generic category.

"Clean rooms" are supposed to be "clean." Hence, the name. Here, they are not.

I worked at IQE

Pros

The benefits package isn't too bad. All employees receive 401k, health benefits (picked up mostly by employer), stock options and bonuses, and a fair amount of PTO.

Work doesn't come home with you when employed in the lower levels.

Fairly difficult to get laid off or fired.

Cons

The meat of this review.

There are a lot of problems with how this company functions, all of which have coalesced into a work force that has a defeated morale. Most pieces of equipment are outdated beyond belief, do not function properly, or in most cases, both. Almost no budget is squared away to resolve the chokepoints in production that result in severely underperforming for customers. If an almost critical tool suddenly breaks, typically not a dime is spent to gather replacement parts. Sometimes, replacement parts cannot even be found because the equipment is so old that no manufacturer maintains them anymore. Much of the time in-house band-aid solutions are desired with a team that has no experience whatsoever in repairing the equipment, either. The motto is, "Fend for yourself."

The laboratory, while meant to be clean, is instead very dirty. Dust and rust should not build up in any clean room. Ventilation should remove contaminated air out of the lab and not feed hazardous gases right back into the facility. Gloves should not rip and tear at a moment's notice, especially when using strong acids. Duct tape should not be used to repair chipped tile in the floor (tiled floor should not be used in clean rooms at all, either). Wood splinters over time and thus is a bad choice for laboratories that are concerned about particles. Why are all these things and so many more bad practices ignored?

Reviews are done annually. Salary increases are abysmal and do not even match rates of inflation. Promotional raises have ceilings that do not take into consideration raises through reviews i.e. your new income due to a promotion is set at a flat level and ignore any annual raises. A promotion may therefore merely result in a boost of a few cents hourly. The annual reviews, while done in January, are neither revealed nor acted upon until April. For over four months employees have no idea how they did the previous year. There is no retroactive compensation during this period. Overall, the pay is absolutely atrocious for the industry.

Engineers are expected to work far beyond 40 hours a week and to be on call constantly when not in the lab, no matter the hour. Many times this means a solution will be provided in a sleep deprived state and be disastrous to production, or production will stop at certain areas while a response has yet to be meted. Some of the upper layers of engineering aren't even physically in the continent for most times of the year.

Management is designed to compete facilities against each other to the detriment of the overall company. Each laboratory will vie for the same customer to make the same exact products. Budgets take this into consideration. If one site has difficulty with equipment (because it is for all intents and purposes broken, as described above) and an order is not completed on time, that site loses in their next quarterly budget, even if another site picks up the slack. Some sites consistently produce well for particular customers, but instead of centralizing production for that customer at these locations, production is instead divided up even to facilities that do much worse.

The lab is open 24/7, so don't expect to get holidays off without spending PTO. Employees are expected to come to the lab even during natural disasters. This applies to just about all levels.

Promises are supplied and broken constantly. A new practice may be described at a meeting and survive at most a month before the status quo sets in. Management does not like to answer questions that make them even the least bit uneasy, even if they deal with serious concerns. Key roles such as safety may be removed and never replaced. Sometimes employees traverse across the corporate landscape into roles they are completely unsuited for. As an example, how a salesman one day switches to a top engineering position is mindboggling.

All these factors and more result in the most astounding thing: a work culture where employees are consistently beaten, where knowledge is squelched, where employee growth is stifled, for management that provides no interest whatsoever in actually solving the problems that consistently arise. There is no feeling of pride in your work here - even less than what is typical in office work. The overall atmosphere gives no inconsistencies with the message that things never get better here.

Advice to Management

Fix the biggest offenders for running any production facility. When critical equipment fails, find solutions for it immediately. Do not argue among yourselves for months about spending money on a part that has a price that in the end of the day is inconsequential to the profits lost from not having that equipment functioning at all. These types of facilities are very expensive to sustain. It is why the products that come out of them command a high price. Skimping out on an up-front cost can be more enormously financially disastrous in the long term than acting on an adequate solution. Scrapping significant amounts of product does not produce profits when failure cannot even be properly evaluated.

Focus your projects. Many of them have high inspirations and potentials that are crushed once the first roadblock arrives and decisions fall to disarray. Not all customers are equal. Missing quotas of guaranteed profits due to instead concentrating time and effort on "what ifs" that time and again lead to nowhere will not grow a business. Do not take just any order at the cost of the current, consistent ones.

Most of all, give something back to the employees. A team that does not want to work does not often produce with quality. This is especially so in fields that require cognitive thought such as science and engineering. Rather than make a promise and destroy it later, make no promise to begin with. There seem to be significant communication barriers between the various corporate levels that frankly should not exist in a company of this size. The concessions are terribly one-sided. Word travels around very quickly even when efforts are made to silence it. The influence of each mistake is only amplified when responsibilities are not taken.

Glad I moved on.

I worked at IQE

Pros

The benefit package is the ONLY perk of working for this company

Cons

Management is in complete shambles. There is a horrible feeling in the US about the UK being overbearing, this was something I thought was wrong until I hit my 1 year anniversary and looked back. They were right on. The UK runs the show and everything you do has to be run through them. The issue is the people that actually run the show are never there or have 14 weeks vacation so nothing ever gets accomplished. Paper is pushed around but nothing is accomplished.

Everyone that I knew at IQE was nice as could be, until push came to shove, then its every man for yourself. If you know that when you first walk in the door, you will do fine. I did not know that and was used multiple times.

I am very glad I moved on to greener pastures. I would never recommend anyone to work there and strongly advise anyone that is there to start looking to move on before you are stabbed in the back by people who you think you know and trust. Even people you have over for dinner and do things together with your families will stab you in the back. There is no shame and I think its a requirement to actually working there, just an unwritten rule.

What hurt me the most was that I was fresh out of college when this company picked me up and I was thinking, great, I got a job. But then I my morale and self worth was chipped away. I felt so bad about myself that I started hating myself and thinking "I" was the issue. Thank God for my friend from school who "saved" me and helped me get a job with his company.

Goodbye forever IQE, I hope to never hear from you again and hope you go out of business since its what you deserve.

Advice to Management

Give some power to the local branches and take some authority away from the UK.

Learn to treat your employees with some respect and have some faith in them.

I also think you should all fire yourselves and start over.