IQPC Reviews in London, England

Updated August 29, 2014
2.5

IQPC Managing Director Rob Shannon
Rob Shannon

Pros
  • With the exception of management, you will get to meet great people and work with (in 7 reviews)

• Sales training is really good - continuous education & learning (both sales & other topics) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Unbelievably high turnover, probably close to 100% (in 12 reviews)

• People come and go like its a revolving door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture, hard work and very rewarding

Current Employee - Various in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Various in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IQPC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at IQPC for nearly five years and I have every intention of staying here for the foreseeable future.

It's hard work and it's challenging but above all it's rewarding. I've seen all sorts of people come and go (although nowhere near on the scale of turnover that some previous 'reviews' suggest, I'm pretty sure our turnover is slightly better than industry average) and consistently it's the good people that make it here and succeed.

If you are an average performer then management will push you to become great. If you are a poor performer you will be pushed hard to improve because this isn't an environment where poor performance is tolerated. And that's one of the reasons I like it here - I don't want to work with poor performers, I want to work with great people!

I have had solid training that again I believe to be better than the industry norm. I am pushed to used this training to continually improve - I really enjoy the autonomy that this gives me to develop myself. The training we get is pretty diverse, both from people in the office and through webinars with management in other offices and I’ve also had some coaching with an independent consultant too.

Management are firm, fair and commercial. Over the years I have got to know several members of the leadership team and they are one of the (many) reasons that I am still here. They are very approachable and I have always been made to feel valued.

Some of the reviews on here are cynical and, dare I say it, somewhat immature when it comes t the future prospects of the company. IQPC has been in business for 41 years and I know for a fact that the outlook for this business is strong with significant year on year growth just reported.

If you are prepared to work hard, be focused on a goal and become the very best you can possibly be in return for a really rewarding job and personal development, then this is a really great place to work.

Cons

It's fast paced, and some people will struggle with delivering results at speed.

Hire good people - this is your own mantra so be sure t only hire really good people that are able to deliver all of the things that you need them too. Don't take short cuts and hire to fill a seat.

All is not as it seems...

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively good training. International travel for some roles.

Cons

On the surface IQPC London, Victoria seems like a work hard, play hard environment with no staff hierarchy. In reality this is a company of jumped up job titles, a massive gap between senior management and the masses and little respect for staff. You will have no work life balance, so be prepared to add an extra 2 hours a day to the advertised job hours... the only flexibility on offer is whether you do those extra hours morning or evening. This may be denied at interview but that is the REALITY.

Be prepared to have about 5 managers, there is no one in the company below 'manager' status, job titles are jumped up to encourage self importance which doesn't trickle down in a good way. There is high staff turnover across the board and depending on which department you work in there is no sense of team work.

Oh and top of a heavy work load you'll be expected to produce a plan to explain your plan, to explain your plan as well as having 10 meetings a day to 'plan'.

Get some older people into the company so it stops feeling like a bad Syfy movie whereby all people over 40 are mysteriously removed. Stop making people under 30 company 'directors' its laughed about by many and it promotes a culture of 'kissing your way to the top' rather than promotion based on experience and merit.

Pretty hard going

Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Old management really knew what they were doing.
    Colleeagues were great
    getting time off was easy enough

Cons

Due to a restructure, new management were really out of there depth.
    Working hours
    Revolving door
    Fear of losing job - which i did!

Worst working experience!!!

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The area is quite nice: got lots of restaurants, bars and shops. Some of the colleages (not in managerial roles) are quite nice people

Cons

- high pressure environment
    - staff is extremely overloaded with work
    - VERY BAD PAY
    - bad attitude and lack of training from the mangerial side
    - and yes: gossiping, bulling
    - your wage and the lengh of the holidays will depend on whether management like you or not (they barely like anyone so expect being treated like nothing)

Pay more attention to your people, show more respect

super commercial enivronment, lack of parity in quality across different events

Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LEARN ABOUT BUSINESS
    -learn good sales process (although this can often prove to be a bit too 'quick-sell')
    -learn how to work independently find business from scratch, without any marketing support
    -learn how different industries work on a global scale
    -some other companies in the industry will be impressed if you have performed quite well there
    -opportunity for speedy career growth as things can change very quickly, if you're in the right place at the right time and senior management like you

Cons

-basic salaries are lower than other events companies
    -sales targets are often an unrealistic joke, particularly when everyone is targeted the same regardless of the strength of your events.
    -events are nowhere near as strong as competitors (except for the handful of flagship events, which are good) meaning selling them is a lot harder
    -short-term thinking.
    -very high staff turnover
    -use cult-style management techniques to get the most out of staff (could be a pro)
    -company goes for a quantity rather than quality growth model when it comes to the events they run, employing very short-term thinking with regards to profits, often resulting in:

A) Lots of new launches without much time to research them meaning results are very hit and miss.

B) Not enough time for producers to put enough attention on their repeat events, meaning the quality of these are affected.

-direct marketing campaigns compete with sales for comms, meaning marketers aren't as motivated to help sales as they should be. This silo effect can also result in an unproductive blame culture

be realistic with sales and marketing targets (they should be achievable! perhaps set on a product by product basis) reward and recognise efforts of staff who go the extra mile for you, smash the silos, stop annoying your own database

Poor Pay, Poor Training, weak/duplicitous characters

Former Employee - Operations Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Dress down Fridays were good

Cons

Be prepared to be paid pocket change and I mean pocket change. Be prepared to work with a bunch of duplicitous cunning snakes who lack the balls to b***** about you to your face. Many serve merely to distract you by spending the whole day talking about their own life. wedding plans, golf and much other nonsense which nobody gives a s*** about as well as telling the most pointless, uninteresting, unsophisticated, boring lame jokes. Prep for the daily patronising rituals of some. And then of course there are those who hide behind an excessively posh yet unnatural accent to conceal the fact that they lack intellect. It's embarrassing.Really. At best you will get treated like used toilet paper. However this is no reflection on IQPC itself, just very unfortunately IQPC Victoria has managed to recruit people who seriously lack integrity.

Work with integrity. Understand that people are more than the services that they render, and should therefore be treated like human instead of cattle regardless of the quality of productivity.

Prepare to swim with the sharks!

Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally cool colleagues, decent sales process training, encourages entrepreneurial spirit, some potential opportunities for high earning, work hard - play hard spirit in some teams.

Cons

Typically long hours, highly pressurized boiler room environment, little teamworking practice as it's basically all up to you, mainly poor products, bad rep in market, pseudo corporate culture.

More transparency about true motivations and practice would be welcome.

Burn 'em out and use 'em up

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great sales training
    Sometimes they'd let you go to the conferences

Cons

Sales people not respected by other departments

Not for everyone but I learnt a lot

Former Employee - Conference Producer in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as a producer in the London office and I can say that without a doubt I learnt more in the two years at IQPC than I would heave learnt in so many other business environments (of course I can only comment on the area of the business I worked in, namely Production).

The producers are given a great deal of responsibility at a very early stage in their careers. Of course this brings with it a fair amount of pressure, personally I thrive in that kind of environment but I did see a number fall by the wayside because they couldn't handle the pressure or simply didn't want to.

While I was there I recieved excellent training in research techniques, copy writing, marketing strategy, budgetary control, project and people management, on-site event management, networking and negotiation - that's a lot to have fit in to two years!

They often promote from within so the career progression is there if you want it. Or if you don't head off after a few years with all the skills you've ammassed (that's what I did and it's worked out well).

My two years there helped me to grow in confidence, develop a strong business acumen and I due to the fairly young and sociable workforce I made some friends for life. Not bad for a graduate job.

Cons

The big downside is the workload, it wasn't uncommon for me to finish pretty late. Sometimes plans would be cancelled or I'd meet friends when they had already polished off a bottle of wine or two in the evening. But this is true of so many professions.

You need to have a pretty thick skin and a certain level of tenacity, people in industry often don't want to talk to you about the conference you are producing / selling. If you are going to let this upset you then this isn't the industry for you.

The nature of conference production is that you'll get an overview of a lot of topics but you won't learn about them in a huge amount of depth. Eventually I wanted to change this so that's why I left. This may frustrate some people.

Finally, production can be exhausting, not just the hours but the relentless efforts you need to go to to get speakers etc. I would say that it isn't something that many people could spend their entire career doing. That said, IQPC offer plenty of opportunities for people to progress into management so you don't need to be doing the actual production work forever in any event.

More flexibility is needed with the 20 day conference model, some events just need longer and the pressure on producers is what makes some of them crack or cut corners (you don't want either of these really).

When producers uncover information at the beginning stages of an event's research this needs to be listened to even if it means impacting the financial pipeline by changing the date or location.

Awesome Company - make your own mind up

Former Employee - Delegate Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had heard some negative things about IQPC and I now that I have worked there I really don't know why. I wasn't sure what to expect when I came to interview but everyone was really nice, you can see the office floor from reception, everyone seemed happy. I joined in the delegate sales side of the business at the start of the year which is really hard work but I enjoyed the job. There was a clear career plan set out for me so I could move up if I hit targets etc. The only reason I had to leave was due to personal reasons. I earnt good comms in the time that I worked for IQPC, my team were good fun and there is a good social side to the company as well.

Cons

I didn't really have any in the time that I was there

More of the same. I found management really approachable, everyone senior in the business knew my name and I was treated the same as everyone else even though I was quite new at the time