IQPC

Updated December 2, 2014
2.4

IQPC Managing Director Rob Shannon
Rob Shannon

Pros
  • Albeit hard work does equal success here, but it greatly improves the odds (in 8 reviews)

• With the exception of management, you will get to meet great people and work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Unbelievably high turnover, probably close to 100% (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management butt kisses high performers - who then become impossible to work with (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good for project management skills & enhancing industry knowledge

Former Employee - Defence Conference Producer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Defence Conference Producer in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the defence production team for just under a year and I believe that this role is ideal for a young grad who enjoys taking the initiative and wants to learn how to take a project from start to finish. Whilst senior management approve what conferences are produced (although topic generation is strongly encouraged), the agenda and direction of each event is entirely down to you. You are trusted to do the research and find the niche for each year, thereby making the conference marketable and sellable. Therefore, in addition to the obvious research side of things, you are given a great deal of responsibility as the conference will succeed or fail depending on the course that you have set it on. Once you have "signed off" the project (when you have acquired enough quality speakers to make the event worth publicising), you move onto to your next event.

However, this is just the end of the beginning of your work on the first project as you are then responsible for managing it, which involves briefing the other teams (marketing, sales, delegates sales), holding regular meetings to keep up to speed on their progress, and controlling the budget (many conference companies will not allow a fresh grad to do this). The project management was the part of the job I enjoyed most as I was able to work with people from different parts of the business who have different priorities and pressures - being able to achieve their "buy in" to you personally and to your project is of the utmost importance, as without their help, the event will flounder. I was straight out of university when I started this job and was suddenly thrown into a room with a mix of people, some of whom were my own age but most were much older and I was expected to lead the meeting. When you achieve their backing, which can be very difficult as you have to be able to deal with an eclectic mix of personalities, it is tremendously satisfying and when there is a united team working on an event, the whole process goes a lot smoother.

In terms of your external contact I was given the opportunity to speak with senior business and military leaders from the first day. I have plenty of friends doing to dry consultancy jobs in the city, sitting in front of an excel spreadsheet and that's great for them (personally, I would rather blow my brains out) but this job offers you exposure to some very senior people in your given field from the first day. I would recommend looking at a few of the conferences online and you can see the level of seniority that the company engages with (look at International Armoured Vehicles, or International Fighter). Obviously, you won't be speaking with generals at every event (although it can be done!) as the topics will have an effect on what seniority of officer the military are prepared to send. Some of these senior guys can be difficult to work with but, when you get it right, it's tremendously rewarding.

In terms of the positive things outside of the immediate job description, the company offers decent training and a clearly set out career path. Also, I realise it's an annoying cliche but there is a good 'work hard, play hard' culture so there is fair amount of socialising after work.

There are plenty of negative comments on this site and I can't speak for other parts of the business but I enjoyed working in production. There is certainly pressure and it's not for the faint-hearted but there is pressure in every job. For a fresh grad, this will give you a great introduction to project management, time management, and it will enhance your research and interpersonal skills.

Cons

Defence conferences are particularly challenging as speaker dropout rates are especially high because of the nature of the beast - if an officer is moved to a different assignment, there is no guarantee that you will get his or her replacement and if he or she is ordered to do something else that week by senior command at the last minute, your conference understandably comes second. Additionally, with reduced budgets, the military are increasingly struggling to attend conferences which poses challenges. The issue for the producer is that you are very much judged on the event you ultimately produce rather than what is on paper. Naturally, some producers are better than others and source replacements when a dropout occurs but sometimes you can still be very unlucky. An event rarely takes place where there isn't at least one dropout which wasn't salvaged. You are then judged both internally (by the sales team) and externally (by the industry sponsors) who are wondering why the person they were there to meet hasn't shown up.

In terms of the company itself, there can be a tendency to push ideas for conferences for the sake of getting an event into the market at a given time of the financial year. I am all for trying new concepts and I do realise that, as a business, there are certain budgetary targets that have to be met. However, sometimes you can be given a topic which you know is going to tank and the blame for it going wrong will probably rest with you.

To the company's credit, they do emphasise topic generation to enable new ideas to come through. However, if you are managing let's say 5 or 6 events, the last thing you want to do when you are under pressure is have to do research for another meeting. This is certainly all part of time management but sometimes there isn't enough time in the day, particularly if you prioritise doing the unsaid things that make a good producer (i.e. putting time in with each of your project teams).

Ultimately, your enjoyment at IQPC will depend on your relationship with your immediate manager as he or she reviews your performance to senior management. I was lucky and had an excellent boss who trusted me to do the job, backed me when I was taking a risk, and still supported me if an idea of mine didn't pay off.

Don't expect much unless you're willing to sell your soul to them

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Direct colleagues are fantastic.
     - A fair amount of opportunities to progress as staff turnover is so high.
    -Good experience to be had if you're fresh out of college, but don't work there more than a year.
    - Nandos is close by.

Cons

-Shocking lack of transparency between management and staff.
     - Audacious promises made that are seldom honored,
    - Awfully low pay.
    - Ostrich syndrome amongst majority of management - consistently ignore the fact that 70% of workforce is perpetually unhappy, even though they're well aware of it
    -Absolutely no sense of employee retention/ loyalty. Only the absolute best performers are rewarded for their hard work. Expect nothing if you're working in a support function, or a middle of the road performer.
    - Poor management decisions that cost time, money and people.
    - Sales office staff are treated like children/dogs. You sell something, you get a bag of Haribo, or if you're lucky, a beer, doggy treat, toy ball.
    - You're told when to take breaks. You stand up when you're told to, and if you argue, you get a disciplinary - Don't make coffee during 'power hours' or management will belittle you.

This is where the ambition bereft come to die.

Will fall on deaf ears.

Waste of my time

Former Employee - Delegate Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good training by sales director

Cons

Minimal basic salary and awful commission rate. Manager does not understand the meaning of confidentiality. He told everyone everything about EVERYONE. Not trustworthy. Manager and director did not motivate anyone, in fact rather suppressed them. Manager took credit for his teams ideas because he was mentally inept himself. I have never worked under such unprofessional management in my life. Manager could not handle his work load so pawned it off to his team, although his work load wasn't even half a days work worth.

do not lie
    understand the definition of confidentiality
    If you can't handle the management role then give it up!
    Motivate your team do not suppress them.

The most unrealistic and ridiculous work load ever known to man

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IQPC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for a large global company gives you opportunity to work with some great minds so you meet some good people. People harp on about the training but it's nothing special.

Cons

Do as you're told. Do the bare minimum. Not encouraged to be innovative. Budgets always getting chopped. Huge egos. Senior management butt kisses high performers - who then become impossible to work with. A lot of senior management are 'children' - one MD is early 30s - hugely unprofessional and sexist with a dash of racist too. It's all very incestuous and gossip filled environment.

Step out the box where you all think you are doing a stellar job. Stop protecting staff because you are friends outside of work or because you trained them. You're there to do a job and make money. If you are a process driven business - make sure EVERYONE follows process. Why do spex never have to follow process?

All is not as it seems...

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively good training. International travel for some roles.

Cons

On the surface IQPC London, Victoria seems like a work hard, play hard environment with no staff hierarchy. In reality this is a company of jumped up job titles, a massive gap between senior management and the masses and little respect for staff. You will have no work life balance, so be prepared to add an extra 2 hours a day to the advertised job hours... the only flexibility on offer is whether you do those extra hours morning or evening. This may be denied at interview but that is the REALITY.

Be prepared to have about 5 managers, there is no one in the company below 'manager' status, job titles are jumped up to encourage self importance which doesn't trickle down in a good way. There is high staff turnover across the board and depending on which department you work in there is no sense of team work.

Oh and top of a heavy work load you'll be expected to produce a plan to explain your plan, to explain your plan as well as having 10 meetings a day to 'plan'.

Get some older people into the company so it stops feeling like a bad Syfy movie whereby all people over 40 are mysteriously removed. Stop making people under 30 company 'directors' its laughed about by many and it promotes a culture of 'kissing your way to the top' rather than promotion based on experience and merit.

Great culture, hard work and very rewarding

Current Employee - Various in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Various in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IQPC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at IQPC for nearly five years and I have every intention of staying here for the foreseeable future.

It's hard work and it's challenging but above all it's rewarding. I've seen all sorts of people come and go (although nowhere near on the scale of turnover that some previous 'reviews' suggest, I'm pretty sure our turnover is slightly better than industry average) and consistently it's the good people that make it here and succeed.

If you are an average performer then management will push you to become great. If you are a poor performer you will be pushed hard to improve because this isn't an environment where poor performance is tolerated. And that's one of the reasons I like it here - I don't want to work with poor performers, I want to work with great people!

I have had solid training that again I believe to be better than the industry norm. I am pushed to used this training to continually improve - I really enjoy the autonomy that this gives me to develop myself. The training we get is pretty diverse, both from people in the office and through webinars with management in other offices and I’ve also had some coaching with an independent consultant too.

Management are firm, fair and commercial. Over the years I have got to know several members of the leadership team and they are one of the (many) reasons that I am still here. They are very approachable and I have always been made to feel valued.

Some of the reviews on here are cynical and, dare I say it, somewhat immature when it comes t the future prospects of the company. IQPC has been in business for 41 years and I know for a fact that the outlook for this business is strong with significant year on year growth just reported.

If you are prepared to work hard, be focused on a goal and become the very best you can possibly be in return for a really rewarding job and personal development, then this is a really great place to work.

Cons

It's fast paced, and some people will struggle with delivering results at speed.

Hire good people - this is your own mantra so be sure t only hire really good people that are able to deliver all of the things that you need them too. Don't take short cuts and hire to fill a seat.

Pretty hard going

Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Old management really knew what they were doing.
    Colleeagues were great
    getting time off was easy enough

Cons

Due to a restructure, new management were really out of there depth.
    Working hours
    Revolving door
    Fear of losing job - which i did!

Worst working experience!!!

Former Employee - Conference Producer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Conference Producer in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The area is quite nice: got lots of restaurants, bars and shops. Some of the colleages (not in managerial roles) are quite nice people

Cons

- high pressure environment
    - staff is extremely overloaded with work
    - VERY BAD PAY
    - bad attitude and lack of training from the mangerial side
    - and yes: gossiping, bulling
    - your wage and the lengh of the holidays will depend on whether management like you or not (they barely like anyone so expect being treated like nothing)

Pay more attention to your people, show more respect

Avoid IQPC like the plague

Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-None, possibly direct colleagues are friendly

Cons

- Micro management
    - Bad pay
    - Aggressive
    - Most staff have anxiety
    - Disillusioned staff

- Stop being unethical
    - Need to stop bullying staff

super commercial enivronment, lack of parity in quality across different events

Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at IQPC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LEARN ABOUT BUSINESS
    -learn good sales process (although this can often prove to be a bit too 'quick-sell')
    -learn how to work independently find business from scratch, without any marketing support
    -learn how different industries work on a global scale
    -some other companies in the industry will be impressed if you have performed quite well there
    -opportunity for speedy career growth as things can change very quickly, if you're in the right place at the right time and senior management like you

Cons

-basic salaries are lower than other events companies
    -sales targets are often an unrealistic joke, particularly when everyone is targeted the same regardless of the strength of your events.
    -events are nowhere near as strong as competitors (except for the handful of flagship events, which are good) meaning selling them is a lot harder
    -short-term thinking.
    -very high staff turnover
    -use cult-style management techniques to get the most out of staff (could be a pro)
    -company goes for a quantity rather than quality growth model when it comes to the events they run, employing very short-term thinking with regards to profits, often resulting in:

A) Lots of new launches without much time to research them meaning results are very hit and miss.

B) Not enough time for producers to put enough attention on their repeat events, meaning the quality of these are affected.

-direct marketing campaigns compete with sales for comms, meaning marketers aren't as motivated to help sales as they should be. This silo effect can also result in an unproductive blame culture

be realistic with sales and marketing targets (they should be achievable! perhaps set on a product by product basis) reward and recognise efforts of staff who go the extra mile for you, smash the silos, stop annoying your own database