IQPC Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
2.5

IQPC Managing Director Rob Shannon
Rob Shannon

Pros
  • With the exception of management, you will get to meet great people and work with (in 7 reviews)

• Sales training is really good - continuous education & learning (both sales & other topics) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Unbelievably high turnover, probably close to 100% (in 12 reviews)

• People come and go like its a revolving door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place

I worked at IQPC

Pros

Great people, a paycheck, fast pace, good if not great trainning.

Cons

Turn over is out of this world, very hush hush about it, not a great pay check, sales campaign a bit complicated.

Do better putting people if a position to succeed.

Great job out of college and a great group of people to work with

I worked at IQPC

Pros

The team is energetic, motivating, and are a greet group if people to become friends with. They make it worth it

Cons

Tends to get a little repetitive in terms of the requirements of the job. But at the end of the day is a good learning environment.

Great job to learn how to hustle...

Former Employee - Delegate Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time for more than a year

Pros

IQPC is filled with very talented individuals in each of their departments. You will get to make great friends in this open office environment and learn how to sell, market, produce, and operate each of their conferences. You will get to learn a CRM system that is very key this day and age. You are able to learn about very niche industries and topics that you would never have thought would be relevant to make money on. Learning how to make a cold call to prospective clients and handling objections will only further benefit your sales skills in the long run.

Delegate sales is where I started and where I left. Paul Rocco is the Director and provides nothing but great training and development for you as this position is something you would take right out of college to spring board you into your career. I would consider Paul one of my mentors when I was employed at IQPC as he always challenged me to be a top of the sales board month on month. When I first started the turnover rate was anywhere from 3-6 months that then increased to around the 1 year mark after my first year - during the reshaping of the departments. You will be able to receive at least 2-3 promotions if you stay committed in delegate sales to either EQ or Sponsorship. You are also able to learn both inbound sales and outbound sales. After these promotions you are pretty much done and then need to leave to continue learning how to sell different products.

Chris Ritchie taking over Sponsorship is one of the best decisions IQPC could have made. He is a great person who actually cares about his team and their success. He will take you aside for a meeting if you are struggling and find out what he can do to make you happy or successful. He knows how the business works and knows how to retain employees.

Cons

IQPC employees are way too under paid to what the market and competitors are paying for their talents. The $30k delegate sales base was cool back in 2009 & 2010 when the market crashed and no one had jobs. I have news for you, making $30k + $15k in commissions is not going to cut it for a entry level person living in NYC. Your job status at IQPC is only based off of the events you work on and what the managers decide to make you work on - so speak up and get on the best event. To retain employees IQPC needs to start opening their wallets (which they have plenty of $$) and paying these talented individuals what they deserve to help the events keep on growing. It does not go un-noticed how management micro-manages.

The mood of each day is based off of what Rick Worden or Rob Shannon feels about the daily sales numbers. This then stems down to the Managing Director who has to walk around the office making sure people are in their seats no minute past 8:30 or her sending out emails to ramp it up and get loud. This is the pure definition of micro management. I get it, they want to make money but for god sakes if you just lay off people for a little bit and let them do their own thing the money will keep on coming in. This in result turns into the blame game of why a event is struggling when in realty it was Rick Worden or Rob Shannon who signed off on having the event run! In return a very smart/talented producer would get fired for a event for not putting up good numbers when they can utilize them possibly in a different department.

The office environment was cool for the first year I was there then it turned into a frat house. The only way to calm the frat house is by firing someone or making constant seat changes. Like i said before, this is a place where you come in and learn how to hustle and not look back and be very competitive amongst your colleagues. The computers and software is so out dated and the bathroom on the floor is absolutely disgusting to the point where employees go to different floors to use their bathrooms. You will be promised a quarterly party or even a Christmas party that you will never get until 6 months later because they are so cheap.

Treat and pay your employees what they deserve. IQPC is not a career at all and thats the way every person looks at it after being there "the life outside the blue walls". If you change the commission structures or up the base to even $40k you can retain employees at least to 1-2 years longer.

My first recommendation would be investing in a HR department and not just have 1 person recruiting and 1 person doing benefits. This department can focus on employee engagement and assure employees they are there for them. Harry Zapata was one of the best recruiters that IQPC had leave. He was one to always look out for someone on a daily basis and make sure a new hire was satisfied. Once he left the level of candidates just diminished.

The EQ reps are the given "promotions" and never really start seeing a pay increase for about 6 months as they were promised from the start. Right before I left the delegate sales team had their manager and 4 other top sales reps give their 2 weeks in the matter of 2 days! The positions received ended up paying former reps at least $50k base salaries. If that didn't send a message to the people up top then I really don't know what will.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unstable but decent hands-on experience

I worked at IQPC full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of hands-on experience, fast-paced

Cons

lots of turnover, low pay, seemed unstable

do a better job of keeping employees - do a better job of hiring and / or don't be so quick to fire them.

Decent start for no sales experience, horrible management though

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at IQPC full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are only 3 "pros" that come to mind when thinking about my time at IQPC Exchange. The first is some of the people that work in the office will become great friends(not just work colleagues but actual friends). The Delegate Acquisition side has a rather young group of people working for them. Most of the DA side is in their low to mid 20's. The sponsorship side has a slightly higher average age with most being in the late 20's or early 30's. Due to the rather hostile work environment(which will be described further in the cons section) you will form bonds with a lot of your coworkers. If you go to an event, you will make a lot of great connections considering the level of delegate attending and the quality of vendors attending as well. Other than that, the only other possible "pro" I can think of is that they will hire just about anyone, sales experience or not, and it is not the worst starting salary right out of college. The Sponsorship side will make slightly more(Base: $30-$35K + commission) than the DA side ($25K+ not as much commission). Sponsorship will make between $40K-$70K a year(if you stay a full year and actually know how to sell) and DA will make between $28K-$45K for a full year(again depending on how well you sell). There is also a Marketing team as well as a Conference Producing team but I do not know much about those aspects so I will not comment on them. I left the company on my own terms therefore the "cons" section will not be out of spite but rather from what I witnessed from my time with IQPC.

Cons

I will try to keep this section as short and to-the-point as possible. Just about everything I'm going to list below comes back to just one thing: horrible management. Everyone in the office is in constant fear that they can lose their job at any moment due to people being fired almost on a weekly basis. In my year of working for IQPC, I watched the company grow from around 30 employees to around 45 but also watched around another 100 employees(and that is being conservative) be hired only to get fired or quit rather quickly. The training is rather poor since they just hand you a script with what to say and what to say to common objections. From there it is just lead research and dialing as many numbers as possible. You will hear the phrase "It's a numbers game" said many times throughout the office. The management care more about the number of dials you make rather than if they are smart dials or not.

The CEO(Managing Director, owner's son, whatever you want to call him) cares solely about the Sponsorship team since that is where the most revenue comes from. He views the DA side as extremely expendable and makes that very known. He, along with a certain sponsorship manager, care about how many "props" the sponsorship sales exec gets out rather than the quality. This leads to many lost leads. They will also take it upon themselves to try to close a deal for the sales exec but end up losing it then, in turn, blaming it on the sponsorship sales exec for not building enough value before handing it over.

I can go on and on about the poor office environment in the sense that management will curse at employees, no office supplies are provided(pens, paper, stapler, etc) and there is no HR department but I think other reviews have covered that as well. In the end, I would say that IQPC needs some major changes if it truly wants to grow and prosper and those changes need to start with management.

There are plenty of other aspects of working there I can go on rants about but I would rather not waste any more of my time on this company.

Start listening to and treating your employees better or fire yourselves. You will be the downfall of this company.

Not a bad job out of college

Former Employee - Delegate Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are straight out of college, it's a good opportunity to get some experience. They provide some training. You will learn how to use a CRM system which is a vital skill to have, but extremely boring. People you work with are great too! You can always shoot the s*** w them as long as you put 80 something calls a day. IQPC employees are hounded by other companies, so you will get a lot of job offers from recruiters trying to poach you.

Cons

For their events: Profit first, quality later.
    It gets boring and repetitive if you're college educated. There are no challenges to overcome.

You can run your company anyway you want, you have your priorities and we have ours. For me, If the job is boring, I will jump ship. So dont promises the world to a new college grad when all you offer is a small pond.

Good exposure to market not so good office policies and environment...

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC for less than a year

Pros

Good business development skills, really learn to understand the market.

Cons

Bs policies. If you are new you get no leads, and get on new launch events to sell. If they like you they will put you on a good event and you will make money and make your 90 days. Then if you don't make it in very little time, you get terminated. Very little pay and weak commission structure. No opportunities to really advance and management has their favorites.

Don't kill talent. If you see employees that are a bit more advanced don't east their talent on bs events because that is how you lose talent. Also managing the staff isn't a cookie cutter, you have to customize your leadership to different personalities. Lots of maturity needed. Also managing director late Bently is very cold and doesn't take time to meet staff unless they score a deal. The environment is cut throat need to develop a better system. It seems like your senior reps do own the client and if that is the case no money can be made for others so you really got some work to do. Utilize the technologies you sell, you are out dated

Great training and guidance

I worked at IQPC full-time for more than a year

Pros

While at IQPC, I had the unique opportunity of working in a variety of roles and departments. I am a live example that if you work hard enough, IQPC will reward you as deserved, evident in bonuses and promotions. Looking back on my experience, I feel the training I received and the knowledge I gained, not only about the job itself but about the business world as a whole, has set me up to succeed in the future, no matter where that may be.

The person who most notably set me up for success was my sponsorship manager Chris Ritchie. His dedication to his team and to each individual he oversees is one that you don’t come across very often. Unlike any manager I've seen, he takes the time to learn your goals, both professionally and personally, and makes sure he does whatever is in his power to help you reach those goals. He’s the type of manager that motivates you to give it your all every single day.

Overall, I feel very poised to take the next step in my career because of what I've learned at IQPC. It didn't come easily, but it was worth it. The best thing about working in this office is undoubtedly the people you work with. They make you want to come to work every day. It’s a very fun and energetic atmosphere and I had the chance to make lifelong friendships and connections in this office.

Cons

IQPC is a difficult place to work if you don’t have an impeccable work ethic. If you’re looking for a place to collect a check while doing the least amount of work possible, this is not the place for you. They make it a point to pay every single employee, from senior management down, based on performance. This is the reason that you will see high turnover and some negative reviews, because not many people are willing to work this hard and IQPC is okay with that, they will see it right away and you will be gone. Sometimes the job gets stressful, because of the fast paced nature of the business, but you always have people with you to help you through it.

Chop shop

I worked at IQPC full-time

Pros

Good sales experience if you have none or are desperate

Cons

Add no real value to anything. Very little repeat business. They rip off anyone unfortunate enough to do business with them.

Suck less

Lacks Vision and Sets Unrealistic Goals for Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at IQPC full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to work if you just moved to the Tampa area. You'll meet a lot of outgoing and friendly people, who will be more than happy to show you around and invite you to happy hour. However, the bonds you make there are probably due to the hellish work environment you have to endure on a day to day basis.

HR tries to have a positive morale by convincing the Managing Director to host holiday parties and celebrate special occasions. Nice holiday break is given during winter, but it does cut into your PTO days, which are minimal to begin with.

Cons

Where to begin? This list could go on for days. The Managing Director is the main problem at the Tampa office. He sets unrealistic expectations of the sales team, as well as other departments and has little insight on how to improve the performance. Instead, he publicly criticizes employees calling them "idiots" and "incompetent" on a regular basis via office-wide email or just a random raid through the office.

Cubicles are moved regularly. I worked there for roughly a year and switched seats 4 times. The level of micromanagement is unreal. Most managers do not know what they are doing, and lead by fear and intimidation. Promotions are based on who is friends with who, more than accomplishments. But that's just hoping you make it past your first year. That is a rarity at IQPC in general.

If you want to work in an environment where you are constantly scrutinized unjustly for things that are out of your control, and you enjoy spending sleepless nights hoping that your boss likes you enough to keep you employed for another week, then by all means work here.

This may sound bitter, but it is not because I was fired. I chose to leave, although I saw several people who did not deserve termination walk out during my time spent at this office. I stuck it out for a year and put in my resignation. I chalk this up to experience. The positive take away is that I now know how to deal with horrible bosses, terrible micromanagement and I will know how to avoid these types of companies in the future.

Take into consideration all the feedback you are receiving. It's obviously for a reason. There needs to be a shift in operation strategies, or else the company will lose money and keep a bad reputation with current and previous clients. There is truth in all the indignant commentary you receive. Learn from it!

Worked for IQPC? Contribute to the Community!