IRI

Be The First To
Add Photos

IRI President & CEO Andrew Appel

Andrew Appel

Pros
  • Depending on the account you are assigned you may be able to work from home a few days a week(in 20 reviews)

• Work life balance, great people, company is finally branching out into new business areas(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance here(in 10 reviews)

• Senior management seems to think UX is useless(in 6 reviews)

Good company to start your CPG career

Director (Current Employee) Elizabeth, NJ

ProsWork from home
    Flex Time
    Decent benefits

ConsNo work life balance, most of my co-workers along with me work over the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent and add more employee to share work load

Great in terms of flexibility, needs work in advancement opportunities and compensation.

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood work/life balance, flexible work locations
    There are many very intelligent, hard working, warm hearted people at IRI; it makes for a good work environment
    Ability to move around within the company

ConsInadequate compensation and poor bonuses
    Not enough visibility into actions of senior leaders
    Lack of advancement of women and far too few senior positions held by women

No one is held accountable

ProsGood team and for the most part, nice people to work with.

ConsThere are a select few who seem to get away with whatever they want to do because our leader is too afraid they will leave. We've had significant turnover on our team over the last few years. No one wants to stay because our leaders and some people on our team are not held accountable and we do not feel valued. Our leader says she will hold others accountable but then acts the complete opposite. Not a lot of flexibility as far as working from home or leaving early - you have to ask permission to leave 30 mins or more early, but this might depend on your supervisor. Also, the team feels that they have no where to move within the organization. You almost have to threaten to leave before management takes you seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold everyone accountable, especially our leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible, but no room for career advancement

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities to learn about the industry
    Downtown Chicago Location
    Able to gain a lot of experience in different areas in an entry-level position
    Work from home benefits

ConsNot compensated for performance
    Upper management goals not in line with mid-level management goals
    No room for career advancement
    Lack of mentoring

UX has no room here. This is a developer's shop.

User Experience (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMaybe benefits. Some employees are really nice. French market across the street from the office. There are some nice happy hour activities. But thats about it.

ConsSenior management seems to think UX is useless. They make it very clear verbally, repeatedly, which affects the team morale. The UX team has always been very small and it has been a struggle throughout. Managers have changed many times. This seems to be a case with the company in general. Every few years the company gets bought out, with leadership changing. This leaves the employees very unsatisfied, with nothing changing with the new management.
    There have been several disrespectful and offensive comments made by senior management to the UX team.
    Very negative attitude and no vision. Only vision I have seen is that they want to renew contracts with the few clients that they have. Everyone's in an ever Fix-This-Now mode. They just seem to want Visual design.

There are a few good people who unfortunately don't have power to change the culture here.

As a UXers, we know it is a challenge to educate people who might not always understand what we do. But here, this attitude of being able to educate will be ridiculed. They just want you to "do as they say" (i quote one of the product managers here). What is this? some kind of a dictator regime?
    They believe they are the smartest and know their clients when there hasn't really been a client satisfaction evaluation done since 3 years.
    Although, if they had only been a little more open and respectful. There is opportunity for improvement, but they seem to believe that they only have one other competitor that will never beat them. Even good ideas are not considered because of the arrogance and the ever time crunch.
    There have been disturbing interactions that involve screaming, stressing people out and micromanagement - very unprofessional behavior.

I would not wish for this experience on any one else out there.
    Avoid this place. Its toxic .This has been by far my worst work experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing disrespectful to good employees will only work against you. Be a little open to new ideas and encourage working together, don't dictate.

Lots of great experience but difficult to move up financially

Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey have a good work-life balance, work from home options, good benefits, and summer hours.

ConsYou're not really trained and just thrown in expecting to know everything. They will also promote you but won't compensate you financially to match the salary that you deserve. HR isn't very reliable.

Good place to start a career

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of good, smart people that are great to work with.

ConsWork/life balance can get out of whack.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to people on the ground

Ok, to work here

Consultant III (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOffice location is great, just next to Metra station

ConsNot focused on big picture and just want to make money by killing employee

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people.

Good pay, bad company

ProsBase salary, thats about it

ConsBonus, 401k, not a people first company. It feels more like a group of mini companies than one entity. Disorganized, unstructured, and focused only on the revenue goal.

Good company to learn CPG industry

ProsWork life balance, great people, company is finally branching out into new business areas.

ConsManagement often times discounts the knowledge of existing employees and repeats the same mistakes as prior management

Worked for IRI? Contribute to the Community!