IRS
www.irs.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

IRS Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, great learning experience"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing career

Management/Program Analyst (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, DE

ProsThere are a lot of career paths and opportunities to pursue that offer decent compensation without requiring extensive travel or long hours.

ConsIf you hit a bad manager/supervisor the organization turns a blind eye.

Excellent employer

Director (Current Employee)

ProsStable employer, decent benefits, lots of opportunity

ConsEmployer is unpopular with many people

A very good place to work

Economist/Analyst (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsProfessional organization with a clear mission. Run by professionals who are mainly chosen for their effectiveness and track record. For example, Obama kept on the Bush era IRS Commissioner Dough Schulman until 2012. You also have job security and good benefits.

ConsLike any bureaucracy, you are limited and restricted by your boss's proclivities and your organization's mission, leaving less room for individual initiative. Also, organization is run mainly by lawyers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your mission and your integrity while deal with bad apples decisively. Take the offensive in the PR wars

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has its ups and downs.

Tax Examining Technician (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsUsually great co-workers and better managers at offsite locations as opposed to the Service Centers. Good pay for the work you do. Once you've learned the technical part of your work, it goes easy.

ConsPretty strict with their rules and regulations, especially if you don't do your job well or keep up with quality and quantity rates. I didn't have this problem, loved where I worked, had a great manager and enjoyed my co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors and up should try to get a little closer to the employees. Ours had an open letter of communication for us to contact him with issues, good or bad, but this is not always the case.

Great Place to work

Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee)
    Modesto, CA

ProsGood work life balance, great learning experience.

ConsDealing with Taxpayers and CPAs can be a pain as an auditor. Not much potential for advancement with hiring freeze. 2014

Reasonable place to work.

Data Transcriber (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe pay was good. I enjoyed the hours that I got. Consistent schedule made it easy to do other things like have a life or go to school. I got paid vacation even though I was just a seasonal employee.

ConsMy manager frequently threatened to fire me if I didn't improve performance. At my end of season evaluation she told me to not expect to work there again. Then at the beginning of next season they called me like 5 times trying to get me to come back to work. I'm ok with someone telling me I need to improve my performance. But, I feel like maybe my manager wasn't being completely honest with me, since they tried so hard to get me to work again for the next season.

Important work assuring that taxpayers pay their fair share and that money comes into Treasury for the Government

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsI love the work/life balance; even as a senior manager I work reasonable hours. Great people work here--dedicated, ethical, honest, and doing the best they can when large taxpayers hold most of the chips.

ConsPolitical and regular beatings (figuratively) from Congress. I've worked here 20 years and it's the worse it's ever been as far as the politicians beating up the agency. With ongoing cuts in funding pay raises have been small, furloughs (days off without pay) happened last year and there's no money for training. We cannot hire and so we are doing less with less. Not smart for the equivalent of the accounts receivable department for the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to Congress and tell them to stop beating up on your people. Address the problem employees, but support and be proud of the many awesome employees who work here.

I never realized how bad it was until I went to a different agency!

Tax Examiner (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally your coworkers are wonderful, and being able to work a flex schedule is healthy- good work/life balance. You need that if you're going to work at the IRS.

ConsNow that I've been in a different agency for over a year I can look back at my time at the IRS and wonder how I survived... management is horribly incompetent, under educated, worried only about their own numbers. An incredible, unbelievable amount of unprofessional behavior from managers- frontline employees were actually much more civil, professional and fair in their dealings with each other and taxpayers. IT systems outdated, unmanageable. It's amazing any work could ever get done. Has anyone ever noticed on these reviews that the managers love their jobs and the frontline employees hate it?? Could that be because managers live in a bubble and have no idea how to do the work they require their subordinates to do everyday? And the stress level that their constant, unreasonable, endlessly changing demands require of their employees? In light of all of the public scandals recently it's an embarrassment to say that I ever worked at the IRS. And there is no level of pay grade or money you could ever pay me to go back!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your ivory tower and go do the job that you are asking your employees to do. See how it feels to have your priorities changed several times a day be watched constantly and monitored every time you go to the bathroom. Then see how it feels to come up with new and more efficient ways of doing things only to have your manager say "we've never done things like that before ...we can't do that". And you wonder why you're losing your best employees to private industry or other agencies? Look in the mirror ....it's you.

Be Prepared to Get An Ulcer

Seasonal Data Transcriber (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsSalary, and luckily I'm only here 4 months out of the year.

ConsMost seasonal employees do not qualify for insurance. GS-4 Data Transcribers are treated like dirt by management. Changes to performance evaluation procedures are not communicated to employees. Data Transcribers work in an assembly-line production "sweat-shop" atmosphere with emphasis only on production, so if you have a question or suggestion, management does not want to hear it. Management has no interest in helping you perform your job better. If you can't "hack it", then you're out the door, or labeled a "problem employee" and ostracized. This is not a nice place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees deserve courtesy from their department managers. Do not hide out in your office, arbitrarily handing down decisions without any sort of explanation, it creates a hostile work environment. Changes to performance system deserve a thorough explanation, not simply handing out a packet and saying "read this". Answer questions and stop treating employees who ask the questions as if they are asking for a favor. Lead by example ! Be tactful ! Department managers should never laugh about employees behind their backs, as I've seen happen here.

A very good place to work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Guaynabo, PR

ProsVery good heath and famili benefits

ConsToo many regulations and IRMS

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IRS CEO John Koskinen . All 328 reviews posted anonymously by IRS employees.