IRS

www.irs.gov

IRS Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great learning experience(in 31 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough(in 7 reviews)

• Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo(in 4 reviews)

Reasonable place to work.

Data Transcriber (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe pay was good. I enjoyed the hours that I got. Consistent schedule made it easy to do other things like have a life or go to school. I got paid vacation even though I was just a seasonal employee.

ConsMy manager frequently threatened to fire me if I didn't improve performance. At my end of season evaluation she told me to not expect to work there again. Then at the beginning of next season they called me like 5 times trying to get me to come back to work. I'm ok with someone telling me I need to improve my performance. But, I feel like maybe my manager wasn't being completely honest with me, since they tried so hard to get me to work again for the next season.

Important work assuring that taxpayers pay their fair share and that money comes into Treasury for the Government

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsI love the work/life balance; even as a senior manager I work reasonable hours. Great people work here--dedicated, ethical, honest, and doing the best they can when large taxpayers hold most of the chips.

ConsPolitical and regular beatings (figuratively) from Congress. I've worked here 20 years and it's the worse it's ever been as far as the politicians beating up the agency. With ongoing cuts in funding pay raises have been small, furloughs (days off without pay) happened last year and there's no money for training. We cannot hire and so we are doing less with less. Not smart for the equivalent of the accounts receivable department for the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to Congress and tell them to stop beating up on your people. Address the problem employees, but support and be proud of the many awesome employees who work here.

Very diverse and stable

ProsThe diversity is great and it is very flexible to you and your family needs.

ConsA lot of policies and procedures to keep track of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A very good place to work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Guaynabo, PR

ProsVery good heath and famili benefits

ConsToo many regulations and IRMS

Last resort

Tax Examiner (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe office is close to my home so I did not have to waste a lot of time going to and from it.

ConsThis is the worst working environment I have ever had the misfortune to experience. It is a model of inefficiency, mismanagement and government waste. Nepotism runs rampant. "Diversity" is a religious pursuit. If you are a white non-Latino male, consider yourself a heretic (except for top management maybe). Incentives are non-existent. There is a reward and punishment system in place - without the rewards. The major task is data entry as the IRS compiles massive records on everyone. To do this, you work with command-based 1970 software. The promise of more robust methods never materializes because the government doesn't put the talent where it could make a meaningful contribution, even though the talent is there. The mass of low level workers enter the data while frontline management spends countless hours making out meaningless reports for upper management. Every minute must be accounted for but its all a sham and everyone knows it. Most work is make-work. Internal forms are generated by one department to keep another department busy to keep yet another department busy. Sometimes the forms end up back where they came from. Then the forms are stored in giant warehouses where they rot for the X number of years or so before being trashed. The most commonly heard reason for doing any task is "job security." This catch phrase can be heard ringing throughout the many buildings housing thousands of employees who understand that Job 1 is creating busy work to reduce the national unemployment rate. And don't expect your skills and abilities to be appreciated or used. You will be trained to be a cog. No thinking permitted. Creativity and easily implemented efficiency suggestions will only get you in trouble. Before seeing it for myself, there is no way I would have ever realized how wasteful and inefficient our federal government really is. If you try to change it, you will be punished. It's not the low-level workers who are overpaid but they are the ones who will suffer from government belt-tightening. So sad but all true. I could go on and on. I worked many jobs there and it was always the same with a few variations. I held out hope that I would find a niche where I could utilize my talents and make a meaningful contribution through public service. I'm finally convinced that such a place does not exist within this agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is the problem. There is a pervasive lack of management skills. People skills are absent throughout all management levels. Leadership does not exist. These people are bureaucrats. They follow procedures. Of course there are exceptions, but overall, it's the worst management I can imagine.

Be Prepared to Get An Ulcer

Seasonal Data Transcriber (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsSalary, and luckily I'm only here 4 months out of the year.

ConsMost seasonal employees do not qualify for insurance. GS-4 Data Transcribers are treated like dirt by management. Changes to performance evaluation procedures are not communicated to employees. Data Transcribers work in an assembly-line production "sweat-shop" atmosphere with emphasis only on production, so if you have a question or suggestion, management does not want to hear it. Management has no interest in helping you perform your job better. If you can't "hack it", then you're out the door, or labeled a "problem employee" and ostracized. This is not a nice place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees deserve courtesy from their department managers. Do not hide out in your office, arbitrarily handing down decisions without any sort of explanation, it creates a hostile work environment. Changes to performance system deserve a thorough explanation, not simply handing out a packet and saying "read this". Answer questions and stop treating employees who ask the questions as if they are asking for a favor. Lead by example ! Be tactful ! Department managers should never laugh about employees behind their backs, as I've seen happen here.

One of the best bad jobs there is.

Revenue Officer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsAbility to work from home. Tons of opportunity for advancement. The job is not boring. You will learn a lot about different people and different jobs. Each day will be something different. The benefits such as vacation time, sick leave and holidays are pretty good. Retirement is better than social security alone.

ConsYour ability to do your job is based upon the whims of management. Everybody hates you. The pay is not good unless you are willing and able to keep promoting to higher level jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating adults like they are children.

Not for everyone, unless you have prior IRS experience.

Contact Representative (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsVery nice people, great hours, paid training program.

ConsShort lunch hour, training provided didn't match job expectation. Management didn't fully communicate daily changes or assist with training in any manner. Be comfortable with entire call and computer keystrokes recorded and reviewed. Due to budget constraints, this years training started late and was several days short complete, leaving new hires to feel completely on their own. Difficult or unique calls that required assistance/training were dealt with inconsistently depending on your manager/lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-do training program to adequately prepare CSR's for phone calls that require reconciliation. I wish them all the best.

i've worked for IRS for almost 28 years + 3 years in the military

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsGood Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed

ConsAll benefits should be paid solely by employer like in the private sector, room for advancement in certain grades, compensation for employees who work and live out of state besides transit subsidies, i.e. per diem if you live more than 35 miles from permanent post of duty. this is for pay grades 1 thru 7

Advice to Senior ManagementThe above cons should be taken under consideration because there are hardships involved. with hardships come low morales. with the furloughs and 3 days with no pay, morale has hit an all time low. Until the cons are taken under consideration, it will take a long time before moralesreach back to the all time high it once was. with gas prices constantly rising there are some who are still going thru hardships.

Uncomfortable work environment.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsAbove average pay to start and goes up over time. Great benefits and great new friends. It's nice to have a union to join.

ConsHigh favoritism by managers and training not given the same to all. The union does not have much power to help you on probation year.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscuss training given before being fired.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!