IRS

www.irs.gov

IRS Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great learning experience(in 31 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough(in 7 reviews)

• Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo(in 4 reviews)

The IRS does not have a clue on how to motivate or properly train employees

ProsGovernment employer, offers great benefits.

ConsNo motivation by employer. no mobility... still seasonal, never know working of furloughed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Seasonal Work

Seasonal Tax Examiner (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLearning how tax records are processed
    Flexible reporting times
    Loyalty of people returning year after year
    The leads are very knowledgeable and helpful to those who are new and have questions.

ConsThe office culture was way too casual
    The "trainers" were ill-prepared and were not open to quesitons
    The facility is old
    Too much turnover in management
    Managers aren't trained to coach, only to give statistics

Very nice coworkers, GS-13 $87k pay, Low stress, Job security

IRS Revenue Agent GS-13 (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMy GS-13 pay starts at $87k and goes to $113k after 20 yrs (unless I get a GS14 spot $103k to 134k, or GS15 $121k to 157k), nicest coworkers and I've ever worked with, 8:00 to 4:30 type hrs, low stress and low layoffs (even if older or with health problems), at GS13 level I deal with companies, 4 weeks vacation a yr, many holidays, good health care, could spring over to other federal agencies (such as FBI or IRS CI), can telework (work 50% to 90% of the time from home). No sales (so no need to spend $100k over 30 yrs on alcohol, or $100k on golf/tennis, or pay to be on boards of nonprofits, or expensive cars or clothes which cost $200k over 30 yrs, no need for dishonest selling or trying to make yourself look better than coworkers, no bullying). Women, minorities, and short people can become mngrs or senior mngrs (don't have to be tall white and good looking). Poor kids from nobody colleges can get hired into federal govt with accounting degrees, but rich kids sent to namebrand colleges with easy degrees can't (unlike many large companies).

ConsHard to brag outside of work (white men and women disapprove of you working for the IRS especially in republican states, but minority women are impressed). People in cities with good economies and many large companies view working for the federal govt as a downgrade, but people in small cities or bad economy cities admire you and tell you to never leave the federal govt. Previously GS-13 would retire making a retirement of around $70k per yr for life (a $1.5 million value), but future retirements are less $s and are uncertain. IRS is hiring less now, but they are hiring computer majors in many locations, as well as accounting and attorney positions in Wash DC. At lower GS levels (5,7,and 9s) they have to deal with the hostile general public and small business owners (GS 12 and 13s deal with a larger company's CPAs or attorneys which is less hostile).

Advice to Senior ManagementMngt (GS14) currently spends little time assisting revenue agents (hands off), and they spend much time doing mandatory admin and writing reports on what agents do, plus analysts (GS14) make statistics of what agents do, and senior mngrs (GS15) review stats and reports. So too many chiefs and not enough indians.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good training, Great people

Data Transcriber (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe people and training are A-1. They really want you to succeed in your role and make sure you have all the available resources to do so. It has a very laid back atmosphere. There are also many disabled and elderly people employed, which I think is great. If you can do the job, the IRS doesn't care too much about anything else. They take not discriminating to a whole new level. Good pay; flexible schedule; SUPER co-workers.

ConsI do sometimes feel like I am back in grade school due to the micro management. Not the healthiest environment--many very obese people employed, which comes with sitting and snacking all day, I suppose. No dress code so people show up any way they choose. Term position so can be laid off at any time. No insurance coverage with short term employment. No loyalty....you are just a cog on the wheel.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, some people are immature and unprofessional but many of us are not so each case needs to be treated accordingly.

Great

Clerical (Former Employee) Stoneham, MA

ProsFlexible time off; generous sick and annual leave; TSP match

ConsCongress using us as punching bags

Advice to Senior ManagementBe supportive of personal issues outside of work

Bang for a buck

Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee)

ProsProbably one of the few, if not the only 40 hrs a week job for tax professionals.
    Minimal supervision. Good benefits. Learn a lot about tax laws and tax research.
    Salaries COMPARABLE(not so competitive)to big accounting firms but due to only 40 hrs a week, more $/hr

ConsNot necessarily the most beloved govt agency.
    Easy to be vilified by the public.
    Budget constraints.
    Dumb Congress

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Member of Congress,
    We are the A/R and Collection department of the U.S govt.
    If you give us less operating budget, we give you less budget.

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Fresno, CA

Prospay is decent work; work environment is good, its a job..

Consover worked; work yourself right out of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no giving management advice.

Great for career cruise control.

Internal Revenue Agent (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork/life balance, no more than 40 hours per week; autonomy; pay is adequate, nothing special; fairly low stress, but can be a pain at times.

ConsLiterally takes an act of Congress to change anything; union ensures good working conditions, but the biggest factor to advancement is time, not so much competence; furloughs are no fun; do not fully support professional development

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much you can do given you're public enemy #1 and must ask Congress for anything

I was bullied to within an inch of my life

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood Government job; interesting work; many great coworkers; easy to do well in terms of great evaluations and winning formal awards.

ConsAfter three years of doing well, I was suddenly targeted for extreme bullying by the executive team. They made false accusations against me and tried to discipline me based on those false accusations. What they did was inexplicable, but I will never forget it. My career was completely destroyed within an eight-month period. A dream job turned into a nightmare.I was forced to leave the Agency by upper-level management. They knew of my outstanding record.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would feel ashamed to be a participant in that kind of harassment. It did nothing for the agency as a whole. Don't you have anything better to do than to spend hours in meetings taking turns using a great employee as a punching bag?

there are many better government agencies to work for.

Tax Examiner (Current Employee)

ProsThe IRS work is production line. Period. You are directed: when you see this, do this.
    If you are accustomed to self-directing, using logic, and decision-making,
    this job is not for you. That said, the job could be great if your energy is needed for home-life issues outside the workplace.

ConsThe IRS work is production line. Period. You are directed: when you see this, do this.
    If you are accustomed to self-directing, using logic, and decision-making,
    this job is not for you.
    Sadly, the union and the management have a stranglehold on each other and many workplace
    issues are actually not addressed as a result. There are diversity issues. Employees treat each other badly, and a select few are regularly bullied. Many people keep their heads down and say nothing. I tried that. Then I became a target of bullying. Who imagined this could happen? I said nothing, just did my job and the hostility escalated over several years until I was recorded in my car, a general pronouncement about me
    circulated through the general population, and i was unable to resolve the issue in meetings with my direct managers or through the union. Example: my LUNCH BAG was pulled forward on my desk and left open in my absence and my supervisor appeared to know about it. Two years later I joked in a faxed question to an HR person. By the changed behavior in the principals,that HR person apparently reported my quip about bullying to those involved...and never answered my HR question. My experience was that, as a dues paying member, the union did not protect me from the hostile and toxic practices that were accepted as standard procedure by people who had worked there forever and apparently had not worked anywhere else besides, maybe,in a factory.
    There is not much room for advancement if you are not an adherent of this work culture.
    There is even less room if you are a transfer from another agency since they hire by IRS duty time and not your SCD. Low level front line supervisors are called managers. In my experience these are people who
     survive the work culture by employing gossip and finger-pointing. They deflect attention from themselves
     and I would say a low percentage of those raised to supervisory positions have any college management
    training whatsoever. They manage using "bad parent" strategies and do not trust their people to do the job.
    They do not raise themselves above the malicious gossip and, in fact, use the gossip machine to their own ends.
    Finally, if you have any HR issues you will be expected to rely on your untrained supervisor or ask some union person, or callan 800 number and take out a ticket for some untrained HR customer service person to call you back. And...don't even think about retiring from this agency. Get out while you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency. Withholding information legitimizes gossip. Trust and treat employees as adults. That is the reward for a job well done, not directing employees to form a parade for a newsletter photo op (seriously) OR providing prizes in the work units to be redeemed from the supervisor for candy..

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!