IRS
www.irs.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

IRS Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, great learning experience"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I loved working for the IRS.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Oxon Hill, MD

ProsIRS is the best, the environment and the people are great.

ConsMy department was small and sometimes it will only be me working in the office.

there are many better government agencies to work for.

Tax Examiner (Current Employee)

ProsThe IRS work is production line. Period. You are directed: when you see this, do this.
    If you are accustomed to self-directing, using logic, and decision-making,
    this job is not for you. That said, the job could be great if your energy is needed for home-life issues outside the workplace.

ConsThe IRS work is production line. Period. You are directed: when you see this, do this.
    If you are accustomed to self-directing, using logic, and decision-making,
    this job is not for you.
    Sadly, the union and the management have a stranglehold on each other and many workplace
    issues are actually not addressed as a result. There are diversity issues. Employees treat each other badly, and a select few are regularly bullied. Many people keep their heads down and say nothing. I tried that. Then I became a target of bullying. Who imagined this could happen? I said nothing, just did my job and the hostility escalated over several years until I was recorded in my car, a general pronouncement about me
    circulated through the general population, and i was unable to resolve the issue in meetings with my direct managers or through the union. Example: my LUNCH BAG was pulled forward on my desk and left open in my absence and my supervisor appeared to know about it. Two years later I joked in a faxed question to an HR person. By the changed behavior in the principals,that HR person apparently reported my quip about bullying to those involved...and never answered my HR question. My experience was that, as a dues paying member, the union did not protect me from the hostile and toxic practices that were accepted as standard procedure by people who had worked there forever and apparently had not worked anywhere else besides, maybe,in a factory.
    There is not much room for advancement if you are not an adherent of this work culture.
    There is even less room if you are a transfer from another agency since they hire by IRS duty time and not your SCD. Low level front line supervisors are called managers. In my experience these are people who
     survive the work culture by employing gossip and finger-pointing. They deflect attention from themselves
     and I would say a low percentage of those raised to supervisory positions have any college management
    training whatsoever. They manage using "bad parent" strategies and do not trust their people to do the job.
    They do not raise themselves above the malicious gossip and, in fact, use the gossip machine to their own ends.
    Finally, if you have any HR issues you will be expected to rely on your untrained supervisor or ask some union person, or callan 800 number and take out a ticket for some untrained HR customer service person to call you back. And...don't even think about retiring from this agency. Get out while you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency. Withholding information legitimizes gossip. Trust and treat employees as adults. That is the reward for a job well done, not directing employees to form a parade for a newsletter photo op (seriously) OR providing prizes in the work units to be redeemed from the supervisor for candy..

I was bullied to within an inch of my life

IT Specialist (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGood Government job; interesting work; many great coworkers; easy to do well in terms of great evaluations and winning formal awards.

ConsAfter three years of doing well, I was suddenly targeted for extreme bullying by the executive team. They made false accusations against me and tried to discipline me based on those false accusations. What they did was inexplicable, but I will never forget it. My career was completely destroyed within an eight-month period. A dream job turned into a nightmare.I was forced to leave the Agency by upper-level management. They knew of my outstanding record.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would feel ashamed to be a participant in that kind of harassment. It did nothing for the agency as a whole. Don't you have anything better to do than to spend hours in meetings taking turns using a great employee as a punching bag?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better than you'd expect, but still filled with govt red tape

Secretary (Although I Was Not - IT Kept Salary Lower) (Former Employee)
    Saint Cloud, MN

ProsI really enjoyed the people I worked with. I was in a small office with maybe 12 people. We all got along and worked really hard (despite what most people think ). There are plenty of bad gov't workers, just as there are bad civilian workers. We just get picked on more. I had a relaxed boss so she was flexible with our schedules and she looked out for us as much as she could.

ConsAlthough a small office is a plus for the most part, I didn't really have anywhere to grow unless I wanted to move to a larger office in the city and I didn't want to add nearly an hour commute. When the govt cronies in Washington can't get along, we suffer with no pay increases (not even cost of living), and furloughs, when all we want to do is our jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs for my direct manager, I had nothing. For the people above her, work together and be more efficient to pass laws and keep us working.

IRS WAS AN EXPERIENCE

IRS Contact Representative (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsBenefits. Other Federal jobs available to you that are not available to the public.

ConsContact Rep - Phila.- Training was very poor. Did not teach you how to use the computer tools you need to use when performing the job. No hands on training. Phone training consisted of listening to 1 call made by an on the job instructor, than thrown on the phones. No mentoring. Management started this way so they are reluctant to make sure new employees are full trained. You are thrown to the fire. Given errors on 2 cases I handled. Errors were made by me because I followed the instructions the Manager gave me to resolve the case. Their instructions were wrong. What does this tell you???? Atmosphere very unprofessional.
    Constant foul language by employees, and management. I have over 20 years of financial / accounting experience. Computer system they use IDRS is from the 1960's. No one wants to take initiatve to upgrade. Definetly a pass the buck Agency. Good at patting their selves on the back, but if Obama did an undercover investigation of this place, he would certainly see the tax dollars wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop doing things the same way. You know how bad training is. Have CSR's currently in the job over 3 years sit with new employees for at least 2 months doing paper, and phone calls. This would eliminate many errors. Stop doing so much paperwork, tracking errors, time on phone, sign on sign off codes, really, tracking timesheet preparation, really?? Also, Managers need to be professionally trained. If you are reviewing an employee do it in private in a conference room. Not in a semi-office that does not have a roof, everyone can hear the conversation. If a manager wants to listen to your phone calls, come to the employees cubicle, don't hide in the cubicle in the next aisle to listen. Even Managers do not know how to fully use the system. This place is very backwards. My advice would be to hire an outside professional training team. Computers in training class were not available from the start. You really don't need a trainer if they are only going to read from the training books, and not do anything hands on. People in other classes were exposed to more on hands training and were shown how to use the tools. My class was not. My class was very disruptive with employees on phones, laughing, have full blown coversations, and falling asleep. So bad they changed our seats like we were in grade school.

An agency in decline

IT Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lanham, MD

ProsGreat benifits. Flexible work schedule. Great career ladders.

ConsRigid heirarchy. You need to fill out 3 forms to get anything done. Old technology. Zero work place culture. Lack of funding for projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart getting people to retire. Backfill with young, energetic, tallent.

Overall very rewarding. Last few years were painful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPerks and benefits, annual and sick leave, liberal leave, tele-work.

ConsAging workforce; knowledge management is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake every opportunity to allow employees/managers to move to different areas of the business to learn how everything works.

The pros and cons of the IRS

Internal Revenue Agent (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat training, great way to learn how to interact with different individuals and helps you comprehend tax law easier since you will be working with it on an everyday basis. Great hours for those workers with families.

Conspay, work environment and lack of appreciation for their employees.

Typical Government Job

Data Transcriber (Former Employee)
    Chamblee, GA

ProsGood pay and good benefits.

ConsDull building, boring job and didn't like working nights.

VITA program intern

Tax Preparer (Current Employee)
    Bloomfield, NJ

Prosgood and easy job.you will be trained on how to file income taxes and its easy to learn.you will have to study and write a basic exams and also an advanced exams to become a certified tax preparer for the IRS.it is flexible.you are allowed to choose your own hours.You will have to make a certain number of hours through out your internship to get credit for it.

Consunpaid internship.only for course credit.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IRS CEO John Koskinen . All 328 reviews posted anonymously by IRS employees.