IRS Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

John Koskinen

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great learning experience (in 31 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Exactly what I expected.

Former Employee - Data Transcriber  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Data Transcriber in Fresno, CA

I worked at IRS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the fact that I knew what I was doing all day every day. People are generally friendly and it was nice to be able to listen to my headphones while working so there were less distractions. The work itself was very easy but monotonous. Pay was very good.

Cons

Swing shift hours took some adjustment. Boring work, which was to be expected. I was a temporary employee. Would've been nice if they had hired us as seasonal employees.

Offer more seasonal jobs instead of temp.

A great environment for professional growth.

Former Employee - Revenue Agent Intern  in  Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Revenue Agent Intern in Paramus, NJ

I worked at IRS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work there are the challenges you face keep you engaged. It also offers a great work/life balance.

Cons

The only con is that you do not get paid as much as in the public sector.

Seasonal Full Time Employment at the Internal Revenue Service can be challenging and rewarding.

Former Employee - Contact Representative Full Time Seasonal  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Contact Representative Full Time Seasonal in Austin, TX

I worked at IRS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is good for a call center with hourly pay at $16.95 per hour for 2nd shift hours. Excellent group health insurance benefits and a good 401K plan. Seasonal Employees are guaranteed 6 to 8 months of employment per year, but usually work 10 to 12 months per year. IRS employees are given the opportunity to apply for other jobs including full time permanent positions. The IRS does not discriminate when hiring employees. There is no mandatory retirement age at the IRS.

Cons

Since Seasonal IRS Jobs are not guaranteed for the full year, during furlough the employee is required to look for several new jobs every week to collect unemployment insurance. Seasonal employment with the IRS should not be considered for people who need a permanent full time job for the entire yeard.. Training is inadequate for employees to do the jobs efficiently. It can be very stressful for employees to work at a job they do not fully understand. There is very high turnover of employees in Seasonal Positions.

Management needs to place greater importance on providing the resources and time to improve the training of their workforce. They also need to communicate with the employees better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to work - really

Former Employee - Tax Examiner  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Examiner in Austin, TX

I worked at IRS full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work of a Tax Examiner in Error Resolution is really OK. Not tedious. The IRS computer does much of the work for you. It will flag something on the return that seems to be a problem. Your job is to correct the error and send a computer-generated form letter to the taxpayer, if needed.

The most common kind of error is a transcription error, typically numbers have been transposed. These errors are easy to correct. For errors that you can't figure out, you mark the return as one that needs further review by a more experienced examiner and move on.

The job does not involve much typing. There is generally overtime available for those who want it if they have attained the necessary proficiency.

Pay and benefits are OK.

The above comments apply to my particular job, of course -- an ERS (Error Resolution) Tax Examiner at one of the large service centers (Austin, Fresno, or KC). The Tax Examiner, job title encompasses many different kinds of jobs. Some involve much more interaction with taxpayers.

Cons

Workload is heavy and the job is seasonal. You will get laid off for several months of the year. This could be a good thing, of course. Depends on what you're looking for.

It's difficult to attain the needed speed. If you don't get up to speed fairly quickly, you will be terminated.

Hire more people. Allow them to work from home.

a place for growth and promotion.

Current Employee - Mail Clerk  in  Chamblee, GA
    Current Employee - Mail Clerk in Chamblee, GA

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

u can move around a lot and gain more skills..

Cons

too many females ..

need to reward more people for extra work..

Tax Examining Clerk

Current Employee - Tax Examining Clerk  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Examining Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than a year

Pros

It provides a lot of opportunity for growth. Training is thorough and informative. Great parking and free transportation assistance if you do not drive. Great potential to make a great income.

Cons

It is seasonal work and unemployment is not good after the first season of work. The job is stressful. Training is good but it only covers the basics you will end up teaching yourself.

None

I didn't leave because I hated it...

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are many great benefits of working as a Revenue Agent in LB&I for the Internal Revenue Service. They are great pay, great work life balance, telework, great benefits, awesome training, and good leadership opportunities.

Cons

Lierally the only "Con" is that it is somewhat unclear what you need to do to increase your annual rating it is unclear what you need to do to advance. It may boil down to you being there for 20+ years until its "your turn" or you've paid your dues.

It's been fair. Great work experience and challenging. I appreciate the service level of commitment to the public.

Former Employee - Contact Representative
    Former Employee - Contact Representative

I worked at IRS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love being a service employee. Very rewarding.

Cons

No room for advancement and or to become permanent non seasonal.

Management needs diversity training consistently and ongoing.

Great salary, government budgets make it impossible to advance

Current Employee - Revenue Officer
    Current Employee - Revenue Officer

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great salary, flexible hours, great benefits

Cons

No advancement, no training, low moral, threatening job, hatred in community

With no budget, there is little they can do to help

Flexible hours and paid training

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Hours and benefits are great!

Cons

Lack of advancement and quotes can be unreasonable.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!