IRS Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
John Koskinen

Pros
  • It also offers a great work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Government position good benefits and pay (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 5 reviews)

• Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade (in 5 reviews)

1. Experience as IRS Agent

I have been working at IRS full-time

Pros

The benefits as well as the salary and the chance to advance in the organization. Working as a IRS agent I gained a lot of knowledge in the tax field that can be used in other outside jobs.

Cons

The travel at times can be very hard especially considering the traffic and crazy drivers on the road. At times the job can be very demanding. If you don't work for a good manager that could cause a lot of problems and stress on the job.

Advice to Management

Try not to push employees to hard and try to development them. When they do a great job reward them with nice comments and feedback. Also give them lead way so they can fully develop. Also be reasonable in their harassment

2. Very good seasonal job.

I worked at IRS

Pros

Varied work, quiet, a great deal of independence in work. Very friendly, helpful, and hard-working co-workers.

Cons

Generally, the work is just temporary or seasonal to start with. Occasional slow periods even during tax season. Although the opportunity to learn new skills is greater during that period.

It's my first year but going well

Current Employee - Tax Examining Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Examining Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at IRS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's not stressful. Good benefits. Cafe on site.

Cons

The training could have been better but if your persistent you'll be fine. Best to keep to yourself because people gossip all the time.

Advice to Management

Be more prepared with training when different type of work arrives for seasonal employees

5. Internal Revenue Agent

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Work-life balance, paid-time off, flex hours

Cons

Work load tends to be overwhelming

Advice to Management

N/A

6. Revenue Examiner/Tax Collector

Former Employee - Revenue Examiner II Oklahoma Tax Commission in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at IRS full-time

Pros

I worked for the Oklahoma Tax Commission and mastered the business aspects of using the pay plan and tax liens as a way of collecting taxes.

Cons

I have always wanted to work for the IRS but due to the fact that I am a convicted felon {DUI} I did not believe I had a chance for employment. Politics especially when you hear the word reorganisation you better run for cover.

Advice to Management

There will always be new Directors and Administrators hire someone who will listen to seasoned auditors and collectors and take baby steps in making changes to the Agency.

7. Customer Service

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work ethics and pay

Cons

difficult job hours and location

8. Data Transcriber

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at IRS (More than a year)

Pros

Good for improving alpha-numeric data entry skills.

Cons

No potential for career growth and development.

Advice to Management

Identify top performers and help set them on a career path.

CSR-Full-time Seasonal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits, great schedule; Researching the accounts and the Internal Revenue Manual can actually be quite interesting, and explaining issues to taxpayers and helping them fix their account problems is satisfying and productive work.

Cons

Budget constraints keep the seasons short and eliminate taxpayer tax law assistance; Constantly changing procedures are difficult to keep up with

Advice to Management

Be clear in explaining to employees exactly how their calls are reviewed so there is less gray area regarding expectations of performance.

10. Great job! I miss it.

I worked at IRS full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, retirement plan

Cons

Super strict security, ladies can't carry purses inside the money handling areas.

Advice to Management

Be sure to praise your employees! Don't just be a figurehead. Let them know that you appreciate their efforts. And be generous when they must be off, but don't allow them to abuse it.

Correspondence Exam Technician

Current Employee - Correspondence Examination Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Correspondence Examination Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at IRS (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good vacation and sick leave policies. Love the flexible Alternative Work Schedule arrangements (termed AWS). Work is interesting if you like tax.

Cons

(1) Have to spend time covering the toll-free line and talking to taxpayers who just don't meet the tax law requirements but who are desperate and want to argue thinking that they can somehow convince you - like we could waive the requirements or something which we cannot. (2) The work is terribly boring if you are smart. After the realignment in Fall 2014, almost all work is Earned Income Credit related. I am disappointed in how not impressed I am with my co-workers. So, if you are looking to basically never learn, do the same thing and crank out documents related to EIC then this is the place. It is steady employment that can do until the day you die. Difficult for an intellectual to do this job. Have to find learning outside of work. And it seems that people find it threatening when you know a lot.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to identify people who go the extra mile and have the education and other job experience to really get far. Instead of putting up roadblocks, actively help them get ahead not just by claiming a commitment to advancement. Generally, the Service values employees getting experience working in other departments for the knowledge that they will gain..

RSS Feed </> Embed