IRS Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
John Koskinen

Pros
  • It also offers a great work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Government position good benefits and pay (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 5 reviews)

• Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade (in 5 reviews)

1. good place to work

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

Pros

benefits, good hours, decent pay

Cons

not much upward mobility, waiting for retirement

Advice to Management

not much

Great place to start or end your career.

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Detroit, MI

Pros

Work life balance. We only work 40 hours, have the opportunity to work from home (part of the time or on a full time basis), vacation and sick leave is granted and are seperate amounts (6 hours bi-weekly for vacation, 4 hours bi-weekly for sick leave), rarely is time off denied except in exigent circumstances which I have never seen come up. Good pay for the amount of time that is needed to be on the job.

Cons

Limitations on outside work. They have policies not allowing you to work in similar industries (i.e. preparing taxes, financial planning, accounting work, etc.). The government also does not allow you to run in local politics which may only impact a handful of people but does matter to me.

Advice to Management

Maintain/Start a retention and succesion planning program. As a great majority of people are eligble to retire in the next 10 years there needs to be a great succession plan in order to keep the great things going great that has been placed in service already.

I love my job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beckley, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beckley, WV

Pros

Great pay and benefits, no where else in this area can compete with what is offered here. I am thankful to have my job.

Cons

The only complaint that I have is the overtime that we may have during year end. It is not a definate, but a possibility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job. I have no complaints that I wish to voice at this time. I am very happy with all levels of management.

Strangely, a fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Washington, DC

Pros

Excellent training, tuition assistance, career opportunities, interesting work, had mostly great managers, work at home possible, high caliber analysts

Cons

Many, but not all, entry positions for college grads require accounting, SES usually must move

Advice to Management

Continue progress on telecommuting, even with budget cuts keep training and tuition assistance, use 360 reviews for managers, increase part-time opportunities especially for those nearing retirement

The IRS takes competence seriously and treats its employees right.

Current Employee - Public Affairs Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Public Affairs Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Competence of employees; chance to help people; work/life balance; ideas are fully considered by management; numerous opportunities for advancement are available.

Cons

Slow (if not resistant) to change; meetings for days; you'll get blamed for the work of Congress, which creates the policies the IRS follows; some shortsightedness in communications policies.

Advice to Management

Split Twitter accounts into more specific channels. Three accounts for all varieties of taxpayers makes absolutely no sense. Also, be more forward-thinking in your communications approaches.

Feel like I died and went to heaven

Current Employee - Clerk in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Clerk in Austin, TX

Pros

Very disability and veteran friendly. Older worker's welcome. 2/3 of people in my unit are over 50. Great health benefits at low individual cost. Medical people smile when they see my insurance card. Many ergonomic considerations, they want you to be comfortable in your working environment and will go the extra mile to help you. Salary slightly better than comparable work I was able to obtain in Nov 2010 after 25 job applications. Wonderful training and probation period. Easy access to Union representatives. Pretty good cafeteria. Nice break areas.Team building enthusiasm.A degree is not required for my position, which is close to the bottom rung, but I have been treated with respect by all managers, including middle or senior managers I might meet. Retirement benefits after just a few years if you are over 50. Work is not hard, if you pay attention. You can take your breaks whenever you want, and there are flexible shift schedules. Lots of little parties and good things to eat. Advancement is very possible into jobs that are perfect for you.

Cons

Too much focus on trouble makers and complainers at times. Can be boring and repetitious, but you are allowed to wear headphones and listen to music and talk to nearby workers. Also, getting help with benefit forms and information can be a challenge at times

Advice to Management

Have a human resources office at each campus with a representative to provide and help with all those forms.

8. very rewarding experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, IL

Pros

there is opportunity for advancement for those that put in extra effort

Cons

a lot to learn in a short period of time

Advice to Management

on the job training combined with classroom training is complementary

9. Good, quality work

Former Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

Pros

Quality work, good environment, excellent schedule

Cons

large organization, sometimes hard to get ahead, little to no mentorship

Advice to Management

mentoring needed

A Job I Love

Current Employee - N/A in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - N/A in Memphis, TN

Pros

The IRS is a great place to work if you are dedicated to continuing your own professional education and knowledge. The pay and benefits are generous. The IRS has been a place where co-workers band together and discuss individual's issues for the benefit of the entire group.

Cons

The training materials should be more hands-on. Occasionally our pay is delayed by two or three days due to a holiday and that's not nice.

Great place to work and have your career with

Current Employee - Senior Tax Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at IRS full-time

Pros

Work is rewarding and you see the benefit to our country

Cons

Pay freeze for the last 2 years and most likely going forward. Health insurance premuims continue to raise

RSS Feed </> Embed