IRS
www.irs.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

IRS Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros:
  • "Manageable workload, great for work/life balance"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Working for the federal government provded good benefits, flexible hours, job security"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of communication amongst different departments, leading to double or unecessary work"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

IRS WAS AN EXPERIENCE

IRS Contact Representative (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IRS as a contractor for more than a year

ProsBenefits. Other Federal jobs available to you that are not available to the public.

ConsContact Rep - Phila.- Training was very poor. Did not teach you how to use the computer tools you need to use when performing the job. No hands on training. Phone training consisted of listening to 1 call made by an on the job instructor, than thrown on the phones. No mentoring. Management started this way so they are reluctant to make sure new employees are full trained. You are thrown to the fire. Given errors on 2 cases I handled. Errors were made by me because I followed the instructions the Manager gave me to resolve the case. Their instructions were wrong. What does this tell you???? Atmosphere very unprofessional.
Constant foul language by employees, and management. I have over 20 years of financial / accounting experience. Computer system they use IDRS is from the 1960's. No one wants to take initiatve to upgrade. Definetly a pass the buck Agency. Good at patting their selves on the back, but if Obama did an undercover investigation of this place, he would certainly see the tax dollars wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop doing things the same way. You know how bad training is. Have CSR's currently in the job over 3 years sit with new employees for at least 2 months doing paper, and phone calls. This would eliminate many errors. Stop doing so much paperwork, tracking errors, time on phone, sign on sign off codes, really, tracking timesheet preparation, really?? Also, Managers need to be professionally trained. If you are reviewing an employee do it in private in a conference room. Not in a semi-office that does not have a roof, everyone can hear the conversation. If a manager wants to listen to your phone calls, come to the employees cubicle, don't hide in the cubicle in the next aisle to listen. Even Managers do not know how to fully use the system. This place is very backwards. My advice would be to hire an outside professional training team. Computers in training class were not available from the start. You really don't need a trainer if they are only going to read from the training books, and not do anything hands on. People in other classes were exposed to more on hands training and were shown how to use the tools. My class was not. My class was very disruptive with employees on phones, laughing, have full blown coversations, and falling asleep. So bad they changed our seats like we were in grade school.

Not A good place to work.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Fresno, CA

I worked at IRS part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou do get paid, and on time, most of the co-workers are great to work with, it is fast pace work, work time goes by very quickly.

ConsYou are worked; as if you are a low grade labor, so managers can get their year end bonus, no chance of full time work until you have worked seasonal for at least 4 - 8 years, very low pay for work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let workers think or believe they are getting a job that will last year round, because they are not .

Assembly workers without any human decency or caring for their fellow citizens

Correspondence Exam Technician (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVirtual life employment and reliable pay.

ConsTreated like a machine and not allowed any input.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much to discuss in a short sentence. The Bureacracy doesn't allow for any input from employees and it is by the book regardless if it is correct or timely or even makes good business sense...

Okay starting point for entry into government service; however, there are more better agencies than this one.

Correspondence Examination Technician (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStability, 40 Hour Workweek, Overtime, Benefits

ConsLack of diversity in all aspects - depending on your area, you may not be able to bring your whole self to work. I am talking about all the positive and unique attributes that enable an individual to advance the purpose of the agency.
Favortism and Nepotism - too many family members and friends forming a village which keeps potentially more qualified applicants outside the circle for hiring in available positions and most importantly details which are the main vehicle for obtaining specialized experience to advance within the agency.
Discrimination and Racism - sure there are laws against it but what do people do when laws are implemented - they find a way around it legally. The IRS has over 20 business units and within those units are multiple factions which makes the agency like a box of chocolates. Some areas are better than others; but, unfortunately, there is a lack of communication and networking between the business units which makes it difficult to find out what the work culture and environment is actually like unless you know someone in that department. I worked as a Transcriber and Tax Examiner in Submission Processing and in Accounts Management as a clerk. If someone had warned me, I would have went back into corporate immediately. I have 25 years of work experience with only 8 in government with this agency. Not ever have I seen such a backwards operation.
Lack of Training - the alignment of course materials with the actual work needs to be better organized. I was fortunate in that my training lasted for several months. Most hired employees are lucky if they get 2-3 months. The instructors are people who volunteer which does not often breed an environment of excellence.
Technology - the computer software programs and equipment goes on the fritz constantly resulting in time loss to assist taxpayers and process case workloads.
Employee Engagement - non-existent and severely lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit holding panels, town hall meetings, and fostering teams and focus groups to discuss the problems within and actually start doing something about it instead. People are talked out and it is time to take action about the serious issues plaguing this organization. Quit hiring and elevating the same types of individuals who are/were responsible for driving the car into the ditch in the first place. Create an environment that fosters fairness, equality, and transparency in all matters for employees in all ranks from the mailrooms to the executive office; then, perhaps, the IRS might be in the upper echelon of best places in government to work instead of in the lower half.

Too much politics and incompetence

Human Resources (Former Employee)
Oakland, CA

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProspects for growing and learning our tax system

ConsToo much of an Old Boys Network who cares less about people at the bottom. They don't practice what they preach. They waste money and treat their employees like animals. Too much politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementOld folks retire and left young minds with business acumen take over.

It was interesting

Clerk (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at IRS as a contractor for less than a year

ProsMet some really good people.

ConsFinding out that the IRS prints out tax returns that are filed electronically and processes them just like the ones mailed in. It's crazy!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. They have good ideas.

Where accountants go to die

Revenue Agent (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at IRS full-time for more than a year

Pros40 hour work week. Work is somewhat interesting. Part of a union. Very generous with giving public transportation vouchers. That's it

ConsPay is terrible. You have to be a drone to work there. Management is incompetent. Secretaries are rude and will not help you at all. Career killer because recruiters do not count IRS experience as real experience as compared to other accounting experience when considering you for another position. A waste of a place to work if you graduated from a good school- community college nose pickers work at the IRS. Office is a zoo. Co-workers will blast music from speakers without regard to other peoples' concentration.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all the managers. Promote people who have high degrees and aspirations, and not the butt kissers.

worst job on the planet

Contact Representative (Current Employee)
Holtsville, NY

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbenefits and time off. grade raises every year for first 3 years and then step increases after that. was nice when we had cost of living increases each year but the president took that away for the last 3 years. heard we may get it this year however but we will see.

Consmanagers think they own the place. some dont even let you talk to your co workers although they dont do anything but talk to each other.

Advice to Senior Managementleave the employees alone. as long as the work gets done, who cares if we talk to each other about our weekend. you make the employees hate everything about the place.

The absolute worst employment in my life.

Clerk (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 10 years

Prosa paycheck if you can work production.

ConsIf you are not friends with certain people you can not advance.
They hired family members and extended family members and friends of family members in different departments so it does not matter where you work.
Even if you are above fully successful, they will claim you are difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump all the psychopathic, sociopathic, managers who have family and extended family and friends of family employed at same location.
Dump all high management having a backing background because they are crooks using numbers to propel a failing economy.

May

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IRS

ProsBenefits, Union, pay, nothing else really.

ConsProbationary period, everything else really.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a buddy system in management that needs to be removed. Blacklists exist and are prevalent here.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IRS CEO John Koskinen . All 294 reviews posted anonymously by IRS employees.