IRS Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
John Koskinen

Pros
  • It also offers a great work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Government position good benefits and pay (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 5 reviews)

• Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade (in 5 reviews)

1. IRS Employment

Former Employee - Certified Public Accountant
    Former Employee - Certified Public Accountant

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent training (until Congress slashed the IRS' budget).

Cons

Hostile labor-management relations. The Agency's employment practices reveal the animosity the Agency has towards its employees.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a bunch of ignorant, intolerant bombastic a**es!

Customer Service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at IRS

Pros

Decent benefits. I enjoyed talking to the tax payers while working to resolve their issues or concerns and did this well. Working off two monitors helped a lot to multi-task situations.

Cons

Heavily micro-managed. If you like having to count for every second of your time spent in front of a PC its fine but you will always have to answer for every little thing with someone always looking over your shoulder. The training is grueling, dull, boring unless of course you are the type of person who likes to fill in numbers on lines and searching for the meanings of specific tax codes which unless you know what they are trying to find them in their library database takes an eternity when performing this work. Also, the training was the worst. The trainers are workers who have been their awhile but most of them have no teaching experience which made learning even more difficult. The pay does not equal the work and stress this position comes with. Also, throughout the entire training period of 3 months we were told over and over not to worry about the daily testing we were given, ït does not matter" the important thing was how to find the info in the database! Now if you don't know what your looking for, how do you know if you found the correct answer or not? Now if you already have tax experience and like tax things along with a good amount of computer experience this job might be for you. You must like heavy handed control and all your calls monitored as well. For me personally, I resigned.

Advice to Management

Hire professional trainers to come in with a strong tax background to teach the functions of this job. Get real projectors that actually work and don't quit during class times. Toss all those poorly written tests and set up the class computers to teach hands on learning. This is called a hybrid learning environment. But since its government I doubt it will ever change. New materials and interactive learning environment with periods of working at your desks to get a better feel for the job while your learning it, not at the end when you are being thrown into your seats and have to go live. Otherwise, this is a poor learning experience all the way around.

Underpaid! Seriously overworked!

I worked at IRS (More than a year)

Pros

If you like tax...Welcome home!

Cons

Taxpayers, churn and burn work, you must be highly productive in this position. Management is terrible. Most newer/younger employees are highly qualified and underemployed. But there is a break down of communication as most of the managers were grandfathered in, worked their way up from admin positions and mail clerk and are now overseeing this new highly intelligent workforce which leads to a huge breakdown in communication. The IRS is split up in to regions and each region does their own thing so you may do things one way in the midwest and a completely different way in the south, east coast, west coast, etc. Total chaos. Be prepared to be best friends with your NTEU union rep! You'll need them!! Oh, and if you want to move up or move around in the IRS...A) Prepare for a long wait and/or B) Being politically savvy will need to be your strength all while trying to balance an inventory of cases and constant production goals!

Advice to Management

Go back to school! Treat your employees better. Try to have consistency across the regions. Create career development plans with your employees as most want to move up and around the IRS. Create more opportunities for employees to work with one another such as special teams. Get rid of the slackers sliding into retirement or make them tax consultants or something. Don't just leave them in positions where they need to be productive when they are not then look to the younger/newer employees to pick up their slack!

GS levels should also be higher for the amount of work done.

5. Bilingual Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative

I worked at IRS

Pros

Ridiculously easy to get hired. Can wear any attire as there is absolutely no professionalism.

Cons

Culture that values age and time in agency over any professional degree. Shames recent college graduates. ~80% of management is compromise of trashy elderly teen moms who do not value college graduates and brag about all the kids they had by the time we were graduating from college. Federal benefits that must be negotiated with hr over a 1-800 number that is almost never available. Taxpayers are greatly under served because of the poor policies employed.

Advice to Management

All managers need a college degree or some minimal education. Spending a lot of time as an employee is not enough. The agency needs managers other than trashy teen moms and mentally unstable/ racist ex military .

csr balance due

I have been working at IRS

Pros

federal benefits, good location for me

Cons

terrible people work there, terrible team leaders, very offensive very discriminating

Advice to Management

listen to your csr opinions

Consider your career there are better places to keep your technical skills up to date.

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Lanham, MD

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great teleworking environment, good online training system

Cons

levels of management takes long time in accepting change, don't like to rock the boat
    fresh ideas are hard to get management to accept
    management been there to long with lack of experience from other agencies
    technical years behind other agencies in Washington dc

Advice to Management

pay bonuses to employee that leave ACIO decided to save budget to not award bonuses to exceeds employee and only pay to outstanding employee.
    When an employee develops a tool to improve management then don't screw them out of 600 or 800 dollars as a bonus.

8. Not a healthy workplace

Former Employee - Tax Examiner
    Former Employee - Tax Examiner

I worked at IRS part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, work-life balance, overtime opportunities for both seasonal and temporary employees, easy extra income, excellent mentorship from an outstanding trainer/work leader last season

Cons

Hard to advance due to current budget cuts. Low morale among permanent employees. Management and training qualities depend on people in charge. Last season we had a completely different group of trainers who were kind and patient enough in responding to everyone's inquiries and delivered course materials in a friendly, straightforward manner. One former trainer/work leader I would like to mention is Grant, he was exceptionally competent in carrying out the role as a classroom instructor and work leader, he is very intelligent and also treats people fairly. While in most other departments favoritism plays a big role, diversity issues are prominent, bullies get recognized and promoted, underperformers are remained hired, these unfortunately happen in our department this year.

Advice to Management

Managers should be investigated and terminated for harassing employees and letting their subordinates participate in exchange for career advancement. It violates the Equal Opportunity Employer policy. This maybe the reason of low employer reputation and budget cuts.

Horrible

Former Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, worst experience of my entire career. Public accounting was far better. Yes, you barely have to work, but when you do you are watched by TIGTA so closely. You are in constant fear of doing something wrong that you are paralyzed from actually getting any work done.

Cons

Worst environment to work in. Management is horrible, actual work is beyond boring, and the coworkers are extremely dim whitted (a result increased by tenure).

Very rude and unpleasant toward temp workers during tax season

Former Employee - Mail Clerk in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Mail Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IRS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good about this.

Cons

I was bullied by some Coogi sweater wearing mail pusher while I was there, and he wasn't even a supervisor. Was even approached and yelled at by him in front of other coworkers while I addressed the issue with a supervisor. Not only was the supervisor unsupportive, but she also found fault with me for bringing it up.

Security guard at the door was nasty and insulting towards me and other coworkers.

Then, I didn't get paid. Numerous calls were made to straighten it out. Instead of resolving the problem, the supervisor played the "blame game" once I was able to get her on the phone. I said "Look, none of that matters. I'm just trying to get paid."

I don't even think I got 15 hours of work out of it before they told all the temps our service was no longer needed. It was a definite waste of time.

Advice to Management

You attract more bees with honey than with vinegar. If you need help to get the job done and you aren't even going to give people enough hours to make it worth their time to take the job, you're going to have to exhibit some common courtesy at a minimum

Ashamed to live in this country.

Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Holtsville, NY
    Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Holtsville, NY

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security if you don't do things you are repeatedly warned not to do.

Cons

The IRS employees as a whole are the largest group of unprofessional annoying, rude, miserable, unhealthy, and often alcoholic, group of employees I've ever seen or worked with. They are hired often because they have family that work there! Not because they even necessarily meet the minimal requirements that are supposedly required for the job I.e. 4 years of college or equivalent experience. How does a 19 year old who can't even do her own work have that experience? No, her mom actually illegally does some of her daughter's work! Goodbye taxpayer privacy. The employees have never seemed to care about this country. It's not even part of the several months long training to mention once that we should be out are serving our country. And every day thousands of dollars go out to Identity Thieves. All day. Every day. And obviously.

Advice to Management

Set a better example. Fire more lazy idiots. For God's sake. Our country is going down the tubes. Have some dignity!

RSS Feed </> Embed