IRS

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

John Koskinen

Pros
  • It also offers a great work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 5 reviews)

• Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

a place for growth and promotion.

Current Employee - Mail Clerk in Chamblee, GA
    Current Employee - Mail Clerk in Chamblee, GA

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

u can move around a lot and gain more skills..

Cons

too many females ..

need to reward more people for extra work..

A friendly face at the IRS

I worked at IRS

Pros

Rewarding work and a good career path. Employee benefits are decent.

Cons

Employees are subject to congressional oversight and some times become political pawns in running the government.

Engage the employees doing the work in decision making.

Exactly what I expected.

Former Employee - Data Transcriber in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Data Transcriber in Fresno, CA

I worked at IRS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the fact that I knew what I was doing all day every day. People are generally friendly and it was nice to be able to listen to my headphones while working so there were less distractions. The work itself was very easy but monotonous. Pay was very good.

Cons

Swing shift hours took some adjustment. Boring work, which was to be expected. I was a temporary employee. Would've been nice if they had hired us as seasonal employees.

Offer more seasonal jobs instead of temp.

A great environment for professional growth.

Former Employee - Revenue Agent Intern in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Revenue Agent Intern in Paramus, NJ

I worked at IRS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work there are the challenges you face keep you engaged. It also offers a great work/life balance.

Cons

The only con is that you do not get paid as much as in the public sector.

Not a bad place to work - really

Former Employee - Tax Examiner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Examiner in Austin, TX

I worked at IRS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work of a Tax Examiner in Error Resolution is really OK. Not tedious. The IRS computer does much of the work for you. It will flag something on the return that seems to be a problem. Your job is to correct the error and send a computer-generated form letter to the taxpayer, if needed.

The most common kind of error is a transcription error, typically numbers have been transposed. These errors are easy to correct. For errors that you can't figure out, you mark the return as one that needs further review by a more experienced examiner and move on.

The job does not involve much typing. There is generally overtime available for those who want it if they have attained the necessary proficiency.

Pay and benefits are OK.

The above comments apply to my particular job, of course -- an ERS (Error Resolution) Tax Examiner at one of the large service centers (Austin, Fresno, or KC). The Tax Examiner, job title encompasses many different kinds of jobs. Some involve much more interaction with taxpayers.

Cons

Workload is heavy and the job is seasonal. You will get laid off for several months of the year. This could be a good thing, of course. Depends on what you're looking for.

It's difficult to attain the needed speed. If you don't get up to speed fairly quickly, you will be terminated.

Hire more people. Allow them to work from home.

Very rude and unpleasant toward temp workers during tax season

Former Employee - Mail Clerk in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Mail Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IRS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is nothing good about this.

Cons

I was bullied by some Coogi sweater wearing mail pusher while I was there, and he wasn't even a supervisor. Was even approached and yelled at by him in front of other coworkers while I addressed the issue with a supervisor. Not only was the supervisor unsupportive, but she also found fault with me for bringing it up.

Security guard at the door was nasty and insulting towards me and other coworkers.

Then, I didn't get paid. Numerous calls were made to straighten it out. Instead of resolving the problem, the supervisor played the "blame game" once I was able to get her on the phone. I said "Look, none of that matters. I'm just trying to get paid."

I don't even think I got 15 hours of work out of it before they told all the temps our service was no longer needed. It was a definite waste of time.

You attract more bees with honey than with vinegar. If you need help to get the job done and you aren't even going to give people enough hours to make it worth their time to take the job, you're going to have to exhibit some common courtesy at a minimum

Ashamed to live in this country.

Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Holtsville, NY
    Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Holtsville, NY

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security if you don't do things you are repeatedly warned not to do.

Cons

The IRS employees as a whole are the largest group of unprofessional annoying, rude, miserable, unhealthy, and often alcoholic, group of employees I've ever seen or worked with. They are hired often because they have family that work there! Not because they even necessarily meet the minimal requirements that are supposedly required for the job I.e. 4 years of college or equivalent experience. How does a 19 year old who can't even do her own work have that experience? No, her mom actually illegally does some of her daughter's work! Goodbye taxpayer privacy. The employees have never seemed to care about this country. It's not even part of the several months long training to mention once that we should be out are serving our country. And every day thousands of dollars go out to Identity Thieves. All day. Every day. And obviously.

Set a better example. Fire more lazy idiots. For God's sake. Our country is going down the tubes. Have some dignity!

Different and interesting, it is a new adventure everyday.
    Collection Rep.

Current Employee - Collection Representative in Guaynabo, PR
    Current Employee - Collection Representative in Guaynabo, PR

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It provides a secure workplace with excellent benefits. Casual attire, flexible schedules & performance awards.

Cons

Connected to the phone all day long. mentally exhausting, only goes up to GS 08.

Listen to your employees, don't micro manage and provide a peaceful work enviroment.

I didn't leave because I hated it...

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many great benefits of working as a Revenue Agent in LB&I for the Internal Revenue Service. They are great pay, great work life balance, telework, great benefits, awesome training, and good leadership opportunities.

Cons

Lierally the only "Con" is that it is somewhat unclear what you need to do to increase your annual rating it is unclear what you need to do to advance. It may boil down to you being there for 20+ years until its "your turn" or you've paid your dues.

It's been fair. Great work experience and challenging. I appreciate the service level of commitment to the public.

Former Employee - Contact Representative
    Former Employee - Contact Representative

I worked at IRS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love being a service employee. Very rewarding.

Cons

No room for advancement and or to become permanent non seasonal.

Management needs diversity training consistently and ongoing.

IRS Photos

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (Photo thanks to Flickr user cliff1066tm, available under by 2.0)
IRS Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user davidboeke, available under by-sa v2.0)
Grand Architecture - This grand facade is the IRS Building on 12th Street NW! (Photo thanks to Flickr user SP8254, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo