IRS Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

John Koskinen

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great learning experience (in 31 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The people are friendly and efficient.

Former Employee - Hotel Management  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Hotel Management in Fresno, CA

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are a great team and very work oriented.

Cons

Seasonal Employment is the one downside to working with the IRS. I like working year around.

More working hours and less people as temp would promote harmony and cosistency

Don't work here if you have to commute or have family

Former Employee - Contact Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Contact Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits were ok and so was the pay. Some managers were better than others.

Cons

They don't care if you have a family...you belong to them and have to report to work even if you are sick or family is sick. They also will not grant admin leave for adverse weather. I had to take my own leave most of the time when it took me 4 hours to get to work. I left at 0530 to get there by 0800 so that should have been plenty of time...they wanted me to leave earlier and I could not when spouse was deployed.

Be more pro family and not worried about your bonuses

Reasonable place to work.

Former Employee - Data Transcriber  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Transcriber in Austin, TX

I worked at IRS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay was good. I enjoyed the hours that I got. Consistent schedule made it easy to do other things like have a life or go to school. I got paid vacation even though I was just a seasonal employee.

Cons

My manager frequently threatened to fire me if I didn't improve performance. At my end of season evaluation she told me to not expect to work there again. Then at the beginning of next season they called me like 5 times trying to get me to come back to work. I'm ok with someone telling me I need to improve my performance. But, I feel like maybe my manager wasn't being completely honest with me, since they tried so hard to get me to work again for the next season.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Important work assuring that taxpayers pay their fair share and that money comes into Treasury for the Government

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love the work/life balance; even as a senior manager I work reasonable hours. Great people work here--dedicated, ethical, honest, and doing the best they can when large taxpayers hold most of the chips.

Cons

Political and regular beatings (figuratively) from Congress. I've worked here 20 years and it's the worse it's ever been as far as the politicians beating up the agency. With ongoing cuts in funding pay raises have been small, furloughs (days off without pay) happened last year and there's no money for training. We cannot hire and so we are doing less with less. Not smart for the equivalent of the accounts receivable department for the government.

Stand up to Congress and tell them to stop beating up on your people. Address the problem employees, but support and be proud of the many awesome employees who work here.

A very good place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Guaynabo, PR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Guaynabo, PR

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good heath and famili benefits

Cons

Too many regulations and IRMS

Very diverse and stable

I have been working at IRS

Pros

The diversity is great and it is very flexible to you and your family needs.

Cons

A lot of policies and procedures to keep track of.

No advice

Last resort

Former Employee - Tax Examiner  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Examiner in Austin, TX

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The office is close to my home so I did not have to waste a lot of time going to and from it.

Cons

This is the worst working environment I have ever had the misfortune to experience. It is a model of inefficiency, mismanagement and government waste. Nepotism runs rampant. "Diversity" is a religious pursuit. If you are a white non-Latino male, consider yourself a heretic (except for top management maybe). Incentives are non-existent. There is a reward and punishment system in place - without the rewards. The major task is data entry as the IRS compiles massive records on everyone. To do this, you work with command-based 1970 software. The promise of more robust methods never materializes because the government doesn't put the talent where it could make a meaningful contribution, even though the talent is there. The mass of low level workers enter the data while frontline management spends countless hours making out meaningless reports for upper management. Every minute must be accounted for but its all a sham and everyone knows it. Most work is make-work. Internal forms are generated by one department to keep another department busy to keep yet another department busy. Sometimes the forms end up back where they came from. Then the forms are stored in giant warehouses where they rot for the X number of years or so before being trashed. The most commonly heard reason for doing any task is "job security." This catch phrase can be heard ringing throughout the many buildings housing thousands of employees who understand that Job 1 is creating busy work to reduce the national unemployment rate. And don't expect your skills and abilities to be appreciated or used. You will be trained to be a cog. No thinking permitted. Creativity and easily implemented efficiency suggestions will only get you in trouble. Before seeing it for myself, there is no way I would have ever realized how wasteful and inefficient our federal government really is. If you try to change it, you will be punished. It's not the low-level workers who are overpaid but they are the ones who will suffer from government belt-tightening. So sad but all true. I could go on and on. I worked many jobs there and it was always the same with a few variations. I held out hope that I would find a niche where I could utilize my talents and make a meaningful contribution through public service. I'm finally convinced that such a place does not exist within this agency.

Upper management is the problem. There is a pervasive lack of management skills. People skills are absent throughout all management levels. Leadership does not exist. These people are bureaucrats. They follow procedures. Of course there are exceptions, but overall, it's the worst management I can imagine.

Be Prepared to Get An Ulcer

Current Employee - Seasonal Data Transcriber  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Seasonal Data Transcriber in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, and luckily I'm only here 4 months out of the year.

Cons

Most seasonal employees do not qualify for insurance. GS-4 Data Transcribers are treated like dirt by management. Changes to performance evaluation procedures are not communicated to employees. Data Transcribers work in an assembly-line production "sweat-shop" atmosphere with emphasis only on production, so if you have a question or suggestion, management does not want to hear it. Management has no interest in helping you perform your job better. If you can't "hack it", then you're out the door, or labeled a "problem employee" and ostracized. This is not a nice place to work.

Employees deserve courtesy from their department managers. Do not hide out in your office, arbitrarily handing down decisions without any sort of explanation, it creates a hostile work environment. Changes to performance system deserve a thorough explanation, not simply handing out a packet and saying "read this". Answer questions and stop treating employees who ask the questions as if they are asking for a favor. Lead by example ! Be tactful ! Department managers should never laugh about employees behind their backs, as I've seen happen here.

Career advancement only through tenure. Paradigm of the Dilbert Principle.

Current Employee - Tax Examining Technician  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Examining Technician in Richmond, VA

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Only consider working here if defined benefit plans, very good health insurance, and job security are important. Very liberal paid time off.

Cons

Mislead, Misinformed, Static, No career development, Very poor leadership;
    Changes within the organization almost exclusively create more inefficiency; tenure paramount for advancement; too many support employees; bloated management structure

Concentrate on employee career development. Hire more front-line employees. Needs more external oversight. Should have a management consulting firm studying the vast, systemic inefficiency of the organization.

Not for everyone, unless you have prior IRS experience.

Former Employee - Contact Representative  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Contact Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at IRS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice people, great hours, paid training program.

Cons

Short lunch hour, training provided didn't match job expectation. Management didn't fully communicate daily changes or assist with training in any manner. Be comfortable with entire call and computer keystrokes recorded and reviewed. Due to budget constraints, this years training started late and was several days short complete, leaving new hires to feel completely on their own. Difficult or unique calls that required assistance/training were dealt with inconsistently depending on your manager/lead.

Re-do training program to adequately prepare CSR's for phone calls that require reconciliation. I wish them all the best.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!