IRS Reviews

447 reviews filtered by

1. Love my job

Current Employee - OAClerk in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - OAClerk in Memphis, TN

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with so many people and several teams. There are great beneifits on this job. It is a joy to work with people who become friends, not just co-workers.

Cons

The only bad part of this job is when we get laid off due to lack of work, or atleast that is the reason we are given when we all know it is the budget that calls for our furlough. It would be great to have a steady job without the lay-offs.

2. Employee performance appraisal

Current Employee - Data Transcriber in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Data Transcriber in Ogden, UT

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits. Annual and Personal leave is adequate.

Cons

Furloughs. No chance of becoming permanent.

Adjust PCD dates to fit work loads. Instead of working overtime.

UNDER- a tale of FUNDS, RESOURCES, AND SERVICE

Current Employee - Contact Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Contact Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job security. This agency is never going away, because it funds every Federal activity. It is an instructive lesson in organizational behavior and how hard many diligent people work and can accomplish in the face of unrealistic budgets and challenges. Stopping a tide of fraud that is rising will be directly correlated with funding and resources, and the new commissioner seems to have gotten that message. Hopefully Congress is listening.

Cons

The phone is used as a time clock, and increasingly, time pressure is being applied to situations that are involved for taxpayers, the customers. Telling people where you work is a party killer, so don't! Implementation of Affordable Care Act will increase frustration for taxpayers and lead to more antagonism is the agency.

Do not treat employees as if they are slackers and do not behave as if you are one. It is difficult to expect subordinates to respect you if you will not do what is necessary to remain technically competent, and display the same sense of urgency that you expect from them. That means you keep your head in the game knowing their job as well as your management responsibilities. Defend your team and your people.

Contact Representative

Former Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is very good and the training is thorough and interesting. Your co-workers are very good to interact with and also willing to help.

Cons

You are not allowed to advance if you are good at your job as a Contact Representative. Because not many people want to stay at that level, management will try to hinder your advancement or transfer.

Allow your workers to expand and grow in their chosen professions and don't try to keep them.

Lead you on

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at IRS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

government job with all the perks of insurance which is expensive decent pay that's about it

Cons

They will lay you off at drop of a dime don't plan your mortgages,carnotes, bills etc working there they will drop you like a hot potato and managers don't care all they care is if they have a job coaches and leads too they lie to you saying you wont be furloughed but here I am everything got messed up

give new hires more opportunity to advance you only give upper level jobs to seniority but new hires deserve a chance to move up too the people who have been there don't know anymore than the new hires

7. gained a lot of valuable experience

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the IRS give you a lot of benefts

Cons

Because of the decrease in staff the job is high stress

give more people a chance to develope

8. Very rewarding.

I have been working at IRS full-time

Pros

Very helpful team members, managers and coaches.

Cons

Sometimes need to have more time to read new policy, procedure or tax law updates.

Stable Employment But That's About It

Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was easy, compiling basic statistics on income data reported from tax filings. There were occasional "other duties" to break up the monotony, the big one is getting tasked with an "outside" research project.

Most of the people I worked with were friendly and intelligent.

The options for telecommuting made dealing with commuting to and from Washington, DC a little less stressful.

Cons

Monotony. This is the keyword. Imagine Ground Hog Day and Office Space.

Management and many GS-level employees are... complacent. The skills they have allow them to excel in their positions, but they're useless outside of the organization because they can only be called basic/entry-level analysis skills.

Internal politics... it is Washington, DC, after all.

There isn't much to say. The division I worked for is bleeding employees through retirement, and those leaving to find better jobs. I'm willing to bet that they get reorganized as a cost-savings measure.

10. It's a great place to work

Current Contractor - Contact Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Contact Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work with great cool people, there is lots of new technology implementations and exciting place to work

Cons

Things tend to be a slow some times.

It's been a challenging but rewarding career so far.

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary is decent and benefits are great - who doesn't want a pension? Management is approachable and most truly look out for the agents best interest. We have a supportive office environment - the agents I was hired with are some of my closest friends.

Cons

There aren't any promotional opportunities right now. With the budget freeze everything was put on hold. When they do announce vacancies they choose not to select because they don't have the funding. As a result, current agents have an overwhelming case load and agents are struggling to get everything done.

Understand that your agents are only people and that there's only so much they can do. I've been lucky with my manager, but I've heard some horror stories....

IRS Photos

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (Photo thanks to Flickr user cliff1066tm, available under by 2.0)
IRS Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user davidboeke, available under by-sa v2.0)
Grand Architecture - This grand facade is the IRS Building on 12th Street NW! (Photo thanks to Flickr user SP8254, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo