IRS Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

3.4

John Koskinen

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great learning experience (in 31 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Bang for a buck

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Probably one of the few, if not the only 40 hrs a week job for tax professionals.
    Minimal supervision. Good benefits. Learn a lot about tax laws and tax research.
    Salaries COMPARABLE(not so competitive)to big accounting firms but due to only 40 hrs a week, more $/hr

Cons

Not necessarily the most beloved govt agency.
    Easy to be vilified by the public.
    Budget constraints.
    Dumb Congress

Dear Member of Congress,
    We are the A/R and Collection department of the U.S govt.
    If you give us less operating budget, we give you less budget.

Great Job, Great Benefits!

I worked at IRS

Pros

I really love the environment!

Cons

I have no cons concerning employment with this company.

Interesting

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at IRS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working side by side with supervisor and, customer service rep. Also having a government job you have great benefits and other like a union.

Cons

Not being trained to do the job correctly.

More Clerks should have better training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

I have been working at IRS full-time

Pros

Family life & training is great

Cons

Otherthan a real pension, no perks.

I loved working for the IRS.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Oxon Hill, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oxon Hill, MD

I worked at IRS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

IRS is the best, the environment and the people are great.

Cons

My department was small and sometimes it will only be me working in the office.

I was bullied to within an inch of my life

Former Employee - IT Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Government job; interesting work; many great coworkers; easy to do well in terms of great evaluations and winning formal awards.

Cons

After three years of doing well, I was suddenly targeted for extreme bullying by the executive team. They made false accusations against me and tried to discipline me based on those false accusations. What they did was inexplicable, but I will never forget it. My career was completely destroyed within an eight-month period. A dream job turned into a nightmare.I was forced to leave the Agency by upper-level management. They knew of my outstanding record.

I would feel ashamed to be a participant in that kind of harassment. It did nothing for the agency as a whole. Don't you have anything better to do than to spend hours in meetings taking turns using a great employee as a punching bag?

there are many better government agencies to work for.

Current Employee - Tax Examiner
    Current Employee - Tax Examiner

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The IRS work is production line. Period. You are directed: when you see this, do this.
    If you are accustomed to self-directing, using logic, and decision-making,
    this job is not for you. That said, the job could be great if your energy is needed for home-life issues outside the workplace.

If you are accustomed to self-directing, using logic, and decision-making,
    this job is not for you.
    Sadly, the union and the management have a stranglehold on each other and many workplace
    issues are actually not addressed as a result. There are diversity issues. Employees treat each other badly, and a select few are regularly bullied. Many people keep their heads down and say nothing. I tried that. Then I became a target of bullying. Who imagined this could happen? I said nothing, just did my job and the hostility escalated over several years until I was recorded in my car, a general pronouncement about me
    circulated through the general population, and i was unable to resolve the issue in meetings with my direct managers or through the union. Example: my LUNCH BAG was pulled forward on my desk and left open in my absence and my supervisor appeared to know about it. Two years later I joked in a faxed question to an HR person. By the changed behavior in the principals,that HR person apparently reported my quip about bullying to those involved...and never answered my HR question. My experience was that, as a dues paying member, the union did not protect me from the hostile and toxic practices that were accepted as standard procedure by people who had worked there forever and apparently had not worked anywhere else besides, maybe,in a factory.
    There is not much room for advancement if you are not an adherent of this work culture.
    There is even less room if you are a transfer from another agency since they hire by IRS duty time and not your SCD. Low level front line supervisors are called managers. In my experience these are people who
     survive the work culture by employing gossip and finger-pointing. They deflect attention from themselves
     and I would say a low percentage of those raised to supervisory positions have any college management
    training whatsoever. They manage using "bad parent" strategies and do not trust their people to do the job.
    They do not raise themselves above the malicious gossip and, in fact, use the gossip machine to their own ends.
    Finally, if you have any HR issues you will be expected to rely on your untrained supervisor or ask some union person, or callan 800 number and take out a ticket for some untrained HR customer service person to call you back. And...don't even think about retiring from this agency. Get out while you can.

Transparency. Withholding information legitimizes gossip. Trust and treat employees as adults. That is the reward for a job well done, not directing employees to form a parade for a newsletter photo op (seriously) OR providing prizes in the work units to be redeemed from the supervisor for candy..

Better than you'd expect, but still filled with govt red tape

Former Employee - Secretary (Although I Was Not - IT Kept Salary Lower)  in  Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Secretary (Although I Was Not - IT Kept Salary Lower) in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with. I was in a small office with maybe 12 people. We all got along and worked really hard (despite what most people think ). There are plenty of bad gov't workers, just as there are bad civilian workers. We just get picked on more. I had a relaxed boss so she was flexible with our schedules and she looked out for us as much as she could.

Cons

Although a small office is a plus for the most part, I didn't really have anywhere to grow unless I wanted to move to a larger office in the city and I didn't want to add nearly an hour commute. When the govt cronies in Washington can't get along, we suffer with no pay increases (not even cost of living), and furloughs, when all we want to do is our jobs.

As for my direct manager, I had nothing. For the people above her, work together and be more efficient to pass laws and keep us working.

VITA program intern

Current Employee - Tax Preparer  in  Bloomfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Tax Preparer in Bloomfield, NJ

I have been working at IRS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

good and easy job.you will be trained on how to file income taxes and its easy to learn.you will have to study and write a basic exams and also an advanced exams to become a certified tax preparer for the IRS.it is flexible.you are allowed to choose your own hours.You will have to make a certain number of hours through out your internship to get credit for it.

Cons

unpaid internship.only for course credit.

IRS WAS AN EXPERIENCE

Former Employee - IRS Contact Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IRS as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Benefits. Other Federal jobs available to you that are not available to the public.

Cons

Contact Rep - Phila.- Training was very poor. Did not teach you how to use the computer tools you need to use when performing the job. No hands on training. Phone training consisted of listening to 1 call made by an on the job instructor, than thrown on the phones. No mentoring. Management started this way so they are reluctant to make sure new employees are full trained. You are thrown to the fire. Given errors on 2 cases I handled. Errors were made by me because I followed the instructions the Manager gave me to resolve the case. Their instructions were wrong. What does this tell you???? Atmosphere very unprofessional.
    Constant foul language by employees, and management. I have over 20 years of financial / accounting experience. Computer system they use IDRS is from the 1960's. No one wants to take initiatve to upgrade. Definetly a pass the buck Agency. Good at patting their selves on the back, but if Obama did an undercover investigation of this place, he would certainly see the tax dollars wasted.

Stop doing things the same way. You know how bad training is. Have CSR's currently in the job over 3 years sit with new employees for at least 2 months doing paper, and phone calls. This would eliminate many errors. Stop doing so much paperwork, tracking errors, time on phone, sign on sign off codes, really, tracking timesheet preparation, really?? Also, Managers need to be professionally trained. If you are reviewing an employee do it in private in a conference room. Not in a semi-office that does not have a roof, everyone can hear the conversation. If a manager wants to listen to your phone calls, come to the employees cubicle, don't hide in the cubicle in the next aisle to listen. Even Managers do not know how to fully use the system. This place is very backwards. My advice would be to hire an outside professional training team. Computers in training class were not available from the start. You really don't need a trainer if they are only going to read from the training books, and not do anything hands on. People in other classes were exposed to more on hands training and were shown how to use the tools. My class was not. My class was very disruptive with employees on phones, laughing, have full blown coversations, and falling asleep. So bad they changed our seats like we were in grade school.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!