IRS

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

John Koskinen

Pros
  • It also offers a great work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 5 reviews)

• Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It's really a lot better than you think!

Current Employee - Tax Examiner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Examiner in Austin, TX

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for the IRS! Its really an amazing place to work.The people are nice, caring and really helpful.They train you for the position so no prior knowledge is needed. It's also a really great way to earn a lot of money fast.

Cons

The work is seasonal so you never know when its going to end. for the most part expect it to last 4-6 months but it all depends on the work flow.

Positive experience, great working environment.

I worked at IRS

Pros

Helpful employees. Great training. Good benefits.

Cons

Seasonal position, never know when you will be called back.

Horrible Place to Work

Current Employee - Contact Representative
    Current Employee - Contact Representative

I have been working at IRS full-time

Pros

Health benefits are good and they allow you to stay on it if you are on seasonal furlough (although you do have to repay it), annual and sick leave are separated and start to accumulate from your first pay period (which is good because after working here for a few months you'll want to call in sick a lot)

Cons

There are too many cons to list but I will try. Promotions are based almost entirely on seniority, so although they recognize you as a good worker, they can't do anything to advance your career unless you have been there several years. This is especially true if you are a seasonal worker since every advancement available within the local office requires you to be a year-round employee. Morale at the office is very low for a variety of reasons and I've heard multiple people say it is the worst job they've ever had. They clock every minute of your day into your time sheet, this includes you leaving your desk to go to the bathroom. They offer little to no encouragement and always have something to criticize you on, even if you are the best worker there. Seasonal workers are only given a few days notice when they are furloughed and there are often a lot of scares of early furlough. You are constantly being told to follow rules that are completely inefficient and when you question it no one can explain why it is a good policy and you're told you need to do because the policy says so. The callers are often very angry which is primarily caused by failed IRS policies and ridiculously long time frames.

There is little local management can do, so perhaps they should work to connect more with Washington to have their employee concerns addressed.

mail clerk

Former Employee - Mail Clerk in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Mail Clerk in Covington, KY

I worked at IRS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like working there i get alone with people

Cons

it was for tax season

just keep looking

As a former employee, I was treated unfairly & dismissed as a hard worker for the IRS. I have nothing good to say!!

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at IRS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing is that I met & became good friends with several employees for life.

Cons

The Office Managers & Lead Group Assistants are incompetent. They hold positions for 15 to 18 years by bullying & threatening new employees before they reach their 1 year permanent status. There is definite lack of leadership.

Re-examine the treat of your staff by senior management. Administrative employees are the staple that are the hard workers.

IRS-wish I could've been permanent employee

Former Employee - Contact Representative in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Contact Representative in Covington, KY

I worked at IRS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual Dress, free parking, great benefits

Cons

Seasonal jobs are sometimes called permanent, but realize that it is not really permanent (in my opinion) if you are not getting laid off every few months and you have 40 hours a week on a consistent basis. I was a contact representative 3rd shift. I didn't mind the hours b/c it fit my lifestyle at the time, but we were constantly being brought in for lay-offs and I sat at home for 5 months without any word after only working 4 months. Not fun. Then came back and they said they were going to lay us off again.

Management is not seamless there? It is sad for people in leadership positions...they might get pulled off the phone to do a management job, but then thrown back to the phones when that seasonal team or team dissolves. I liked my managers and thought they were great. Too serious at times, but good people.

Not too bad, exceedingly stressful

Former Employee - Contact Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Contact Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at IRS (more than an year)

Pros

Management makes a real effort to promote a sense of teamwork, many food days, rally sessions.

Cons

The biggest challenge is the abuse that comes from the callers, the vitriol is unbelievable. The media is full of complaints bout lazy government workers, but these folks worked their butts off and took their jobs very seriously. Confidentiality is rigorously enforced and infractions are not tolerated. Tough working for someone everyone hates.

More training to deal the hostility, more is needed than advising not to tell people where you work!

Tax

Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IRS as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary competitive in comparison to similar opportunities benefits and leave are great

Cons

Inability to" step out of the box" because you stick to the script when dealing with taxpayer and the make sure you do it by recording your every work and then basin your performance review on this. The training is very lacking.

Un expericence

Bureaucratic, hierarchical

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are very dedicated to public service. Some great co-workers in the research community.

Cons

Management is pretty bad. Promotions to management based on experience working at IRS, not necessarily on management skills. Very hard to try anything new. Morale is terrible given the political controversies, pay freeze, budget cuts.

Definitely understand the constraints they are under, but they do need to provide some sort of incentive for staying at IRS.

Exciting to learn something completely different from my chosen career.

I worked at IRS

Pros

One of the best reasons to work there is every department is like a mini team and everyone looks out for their teammates, making sure we are all on the same page.

Cons

The biggest challenge for most people is that the location is just to far and isolated. The hours for this department are difficult to handle.

Management should strongly consider adjusting the hours, or at least offer additional hours in order to attract and keep qualified people.

IRS Photos

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (Photo thanks to Flickr user cliff1066tm, available under by 2.0)
IRS Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user davidboeke, available under by-sa v2.0)
Grand Architecture - This grand facade is the IRS Building on 12th Street NW! (Photo thanks to Flickr user SP8254, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo