IRS Reviews

33 reviews filtered by
  • Washington, DC
3.3
John Koskinen

1. Not such a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Supervisory Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Supervisory Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS

Pros

My first IT job to get my foot and in the door but still employed with IRS after 15 years. Great chance for growth in IT if you look for it. Managers will support any interest in moving to management.

Cons

Not the most dynamic place to work. Changes can be slow due to bureaucracy.

Allow for new ideas and innovation.

For the Lazy

Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Don't really need to show up. Don't have to do so much work. Pay is good for the hours worked. Talk to interesting people in the private sector. Automatic promotions based on seniority. Great work/life balance.

Cons

The other employees are pretty lazy, angry, mean. Most don't show up and don't do the work. Some are over-zealous and yell at other people all day. There's a total lack of incentive structure and lack of accountability. I could never tell who was in charge or what we were supposed to be doing. Meetings at times can be almost everyday and take up the entire day. Other times, people don't show up for a month.

The inability to fire workers leads the federal government, in particular the IRS, to retain the meanest and laziest employees whom are unable to find work elsewhere. Since there is no accountability or incentive, the only recourse for those hard working employees is to leave. This causes a perpetuation of negativity and ineptitude. A private sector CEO knows that no matter the ability of an employee, if the employee is perpetuation a negative culture, that employee must be fired or otherwise will harm the morale of other employees. As I had no recourse for the constant harassment by the other employees, and the increasingly depressing environment, I had to leave an otherwise interesting job. Management has "Town Hall" meetings to answer questions from employees, but ends up telling us about our complaints with no suggestions on how we can improve. They then congratulate themselves for being great leaders. Arrogance abound. If we have complaints to the "leadership" we will be punished and/or fired. We have no HR - we have a union which charges each employee outlandishly high fees, intimidates us to pay them, and ultimately provides no service. We are then left with no recourse for complaints or suggestions. We are promoted on seniority (the employees who must stay there a few years without quitting because they're unable to find a job elsewhere) and not merit. My complaints of harassment, sexual harassment, illegal forced overtime, violations of law, waste of funds, corruption, and incompetence were ignored. Their only interest is keeping me quiet. I felt guilty about leaving the government in such a mess, rather than doing my duty as an American citizen to improve it. There was nobody to listen and nobody to care. Nobody wants to rock the boat. They're just waiting for their retirement. Wasting your life watching TV and harassing coworkers until you can retire is a truly shameful way to live.

The good, the bad, the ugly

Current Employee - Public Affairs Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Public Affairs Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plentiful learning opportunities, interesting work, flexible arrangements such as telework, easy to schedule vacation time

Cons

Poor middle management, fellow employees really bright or really incompetent, some lazy employees, little innovation

Encourage employees with leadership potential, get rid of the deadweight (although being government, this is almost impossible), encourage job shadowing and other developmental opportunities

Stable Employment But That's About It

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was easy, compiling basic statistics on income data reported from tax filings. There were occasional "other duties" to break up the monotony, the big one is getting tasked with an "outside" research project.

Most of the people I worked with were friendly and intelligent.

The options for telecommuting made dealing with commuting to and from Washington, DC a little less stressful.

Cons

Monotony. This is the keyword. Imagine Ground Hog Day and Office Space.

Management and many GS-level employees are... complacent. The skills they have allow them to excel in their positions, but they're useless outside of the organization because they can only be called basic/entry-level analysis skills.

Internal politics... it is Washington, DC, after all.

There isn't much to say. The division I worked for is bleeding employees through retirement, and those leaving to find better jobs. I'm willing to bet that they get reorganized as a cost-savings measure.

6. It's a great place to work

Current Contractor - Contact Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Contact Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work with great cool people, there is lots of new technology implementations and exciting place to work

Cons

Things tend to be a slow some times.

Bureaucratic, hierarchical

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are very dedicated to public service. Some great co-workers in the research community.

Cons

Management is pretty bad. Promotions to management based on experience working at IRS, not necessarily on management skills. Very hard to try anything new. Morale is terrible given the political controversies, pay freeze, budget cuts.

Definitely understand the constraints they are under, but they do need to provide some sort of incentive for staying at IRS.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS (more than a year)

Pros

Great way to get your foot in the door working for the government. Great work life balance. Remote work is being enforce more over the next few years.

Cons

Climbing the ladder is not merit based, but rather time serviced. Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade. Th

9. A very good place to work

Former Employee - Economist/Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Economist/Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional organization with a clear mission. Run by professionals who are mainly chosen for their effectiveness and track record. For example, Obama kept on the Bush era IRS Commissioner Dough Schulman until 2012. You also have job security and good benefits.

Cons

Like any bureaucracy, you are limited and restricted by your boss's proclivities and your organization's mission, leaving less room for individual initiative. Also, organization is run mainly by lawyers.

Stand up for your mission and your integrity while deal with bad apples decisively. Take the offensive in the PR wars

I was bullied to within an inch of my life

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Government job; interesting work; many great coworkers; easy to do well in terms of great evaluations and winning formal awards.

Cons

After three years of doing well, I was suddenly targeted for extreme bullying by the executive team. They made false accusations against me and tried to discipline me based on those false accusations. What they did was inexplicable, but I will never forget it. My career was completely destroyed within an eight-month period. A dream job turned into a nightmare.I was forced to leave the Agency by upper-level management. They knew of my outstanding record.

I would feel ashamed to be a participant in that kind of harassment. It did nothing for the agency as a whole. Don't you have anything better to do than to spend hours in meetings taking turns using a great employee as a punching bag?

11. A good experience out of college, but the bureaucracy is frustrating if you want to see the fruits of your labor.

Former Employee - Program Evaluation and Risk Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Evaluation and Risk Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in Research, Analysis and Statistics and was afforded an excellent opportunity to rise quickly and my salary followed suit. Young, capable workers are given increasing responsibility and can be noticed quickly for excelling.

Cons

The bureaucracy often makes you feel like you are running in place. After months of working on a project, the executive for whom you did all of the work rarely relies on your input.

IRS Photos

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (Photo thanks to Flickr user cliff1066tm, available under by 2.0)
IRS Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user davidboeke, available under by-sa v2.0)
Grand Architecture - This grand facade is the IRS Building on 12th Street NW! (Photo thanks to Flickr user SP8254, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo