IRS

www.irs.gov

IRS Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 1, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great learning experience(in 31 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough(in 7 reviews)

• Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo(in 4 reviews)

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A very good place to work

Economist/Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsProfessional organization with a clear mission. Run by professionals who are mainly chosen for their effectiveness and track record. For example, Obama kept on the Bush era IRS Commissioner Dough Schulman until 2012. You also have job security and good benefits.

ConsLike any bureaucracy, you are limited and restricted by your boss's proclivities and your organization's mission, leaving less room for individual initiative. Also, organization is run mainly by lawyers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your mission and your integrity while deal with bad apples decisively. Take the offensive in the PR wars

I was bullied to within an inch of my life

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood Government job; interesting work; many great coworkers; easy to do well in terms of great evaluations and winning formal awards.

ConsAfter three years of doing well, I was suddenly targeted for extreme bullying by the executive team. They made false accusations against me and tried to discipline me based on those false accusations. What they did was inexplicable, but I will never forget it. My career was completely destroyed within an eight-month period. A dream job turned into a nightmare.I was forced to leave the Agency by upper-level management. They knew of my outstanding record.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would feel ashamed to be a participant in that kind of harassment. It did nothing for the agency as a whole. Don't you have anything better to do than to spend hours in meetings taking turns using a great employee as a punching bag?

A good experience out of college, but the bureaucracy is frustrating if you want to see the fruits of your labor.

Program Evaluation and Risk Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI worked in Research, Analysis and Statistics and was afforded an excellent opportunity to rise quickly and my salary followed suit. Young, capable workers are given increasing responsibility and can be noticed quickly for excelling.

ConsThe bureaucracy often makes you feel like you are running in place. After months of working on a project, the executive for whom you did all of the work rarely relies on your input.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential abounds, but efforts blunted by mismanagement.

Architect (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSo long as you find the right sponsor, you can make a difference with almost any project.

ConsSome IRS managers graduate past their probation period and then skip-out.

Just like college: you get out what you put in

Management & Program Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsRoth TSP option is a phenomenal benefit, three weeks vacation time after 3 years, generous sick leave, option to telework between 3 days a week. If you work hard, there's potential to do influential, meaningful work

ConsGovernment efficiency, ROAD (Retired on Active Duty) employees, difficult to get a promotion if you're a midlevel (GS-11/12) worker in the DC region. If you don't work hard (and nothing, including management direction or incentives compels you to), then days can drag.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many disengaged GS-13/14/15 management officials lead to poor execution of management directives

Could be better organized but the work itself is great

Tax Law Specialist (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWhen the work actually comes down, it's a wonderful place to work - especially for people with legal backgrounds who don't want to practice as conventional lawyers. The work/life balance is the best there is and the hours are always very flexible.

ConsThis flexibility comes with problems - deadlines don't seem to matter and colleagues' being in and out of the office at what seem like random times can get confusing.

Tremendously challenging and fun.

Attorney (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork life flexibility is greater no other place. Level of challenging work is second to none in the tax field.

ConsThe work environment and resources can be challenging. Computer equipment is sub par and support services are none existant.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to front line attorneys and what they need.

Great Government Workplace

Clerical Intern Trainee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat Benefits, manageable workload, a lot of support from coworkers and management. If you can stay, stay. A lot of opportunity to move up with many baby boomers retiring...work schedules are very flexible and most people work from home if they can.

ConsA lot of reorganization, not much certainty about transitioning from intern to permanent employees. Pathways Program was confusing to get into as I approached graduation from college. Very hierarchical and there is still substantial nepotism

Good, quality work

Attorney (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsQuality work, good environment, excellent schedule

Conslarge organization, sometimes hard to get ahead, little to no mentorship

Advice to Senior Managementmentoring needed

A good employer if you're looking for safe employment, but can lack opportunities for growth.

Operations Research Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe atmosphere is very professional, and the managers are very interested in improving employee moral. The work can be very interesting at times, and many jobs offer you the freedom operate independently.

ConsLike any bureaucracy, there is very little change in the IRS, and any change that does come about is a result of congressional action. It's also not generally well received when you tell people you work for the IRS at social functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement generally does a good job. My only advice would be to make sure there is a difference in pay that is commensurate with job difficulty rather than seniority.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!