IRS Reviews

Reset

Good Experience

Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to get your foot in the door working for the government. Great work life balance. Remote work is being enforce more over the next few years.

Cons

Climbing the ladder is not merit based, but rather time serviced. Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade. Th

2. A very good place to work

Former Employee - Economist/Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Economist/Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional organization with a clear mission. Run by professionals who are mainly chosen for their effectiveness and track record. For example, Obama kept on the Bush era IRS Commissioner Dough Schulman until 2012. You also have job security and good benefits.

Cons

Like any bureaucracy, you are limited and restricted by your boss's proclivities and your organization's mission, leaving less room for individual initiative. Also, organization is run mainly by lawyers.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your mission and your integrity while deal with bad apples decisively. Take the offensive in the PR wars

I was bullied to within an inch of my life

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Government job; interesting work; many great coworkers; easy to do well in terms of great evaluations and winning formal awards.

Cons

After three years of doing well, I was suddenly targeted for extreme bullying by the executive team. They made false accusations against me and tried to discipline me based on those false accusations. What they did was inexplicable, but I will never forget it. My career was completely destroyed within an eight-month period. A dream job turned into a nightmare.I was forced to leave the Agency by upper-level management. They knew of my outstanding record.

Advice to Management

I would feel ashamed to be a participant in that kind of harassment. It did nothing for the agency as a whole. Don't you have anything better to do than to spend hours in meetings taking turns using a great employee as a punching bag?

A good experience out of college, but the bureaucracy is frustrating if you want to see the fruits of your labor.

Former Employee - Program Evaluation and Risk Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Evaluation and Risk Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in Research, Analysis and Statistics and was afforded an excellent opportunity to rise quickly and my salary followed suit. Young, capable workers are given increasing responsibility and can be noticed quickly for excelling.

Cons

The bureaucracy often makes you feel like you are running in place. After months of working on a project, the executive for whom you did all of the work rarely relies on your input.

6. Potential abounds, but efforts blunted by mismanagement.

Former Contractor - Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

So long as you find the right sponsor, you can make a difference with almost any project.

Cons

Some IRS managers graduate past their probation period and then skip-out.

Just like college: you get out what you put in

Current Employee - Management & Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management & Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Roth TSP option is a phenomenal benefit, three weeks vacation time after 3 years, generous sick leave, option to telework between 3 days a week. If you work hard, there's potential to do influential, meaningful work

Cons

Government efficiency, ROAD (Retired on Active Duty) employees, difficult to get a promotion if you're a midlevel (GS-11/12) worker in the DC region. If you don't work hard (and nothing, including management direction or incentives compels you to), then days can drag.

Advice to Management

Too many disengaged GS-13/14/15 management officials lead to poor execution of management directives

8. Could be better organized but the work itself is great

Current Intern - Tax Law Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Tax Law Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

When the work actually comes down, it's a wonderful place to work - especially for people with legal backgrounds who don't want to practice as conventional lawyers. The work/life balance is the best there is and the hours are always very flexible.

Cons

This flexibility comes with problems - deadlines don't seem to matter and colleagues' being in and out of the office at what seem like random times can get confusing.

9. Tremendously challenging and fun.

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life flexibility is greater no other place. Level of challenging work is second to none in the tax field.

Cons

The work environment and resources can be challenging. Computer equipment is sub par and support services are none existant.

Advice to Management

Listen to front line attorneys and what they need.

10. Great Government Workplace

Former Intern - Clerical Intern Trainee in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Clerical Intern Trainee in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, manageable workload, a lot of support from coworkers and management. If you can stay, stay. A lot of opportunity to move up with many baby boomers retiring...work schedules are very flexible and most people work from home if they can.

Cons

A lot of reorganization, not much certainty about transitioning from intern to permanent employees. Pathways Program was confusing to get into as I approached graduation from college. Very hierarchical and there is still substantial nepotism

11. Good, quality work

Former Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS

Pros

Quality work, good environment, excellent schedule

Cons

large organization, sometimes hard to get ahead, little to no mentorship

Advice to Management

mentoring needed

RSS Feed </> Embed