IRWIN Reviews

Mark D. Ketchum

1. Fun place to work at

Former Employee - Transportation Manager, Distribution in Greenfield, IN
    Former Employee - Transportation Manager, Distribution in Greenfield, IN

I worked at IRWIN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, culture, great people to work with

Cons

Healthcare Plan, no room for growth once you have reached management level unless you are willing to relocate

2. Soul Shattering, Horrible Place To Work. Feels Like Prison...Don't Work Here If You Have Any Hopes Of Appreciation...

Former Employee - Packer - Laser Etch in Gorham, ME
    Former Employee - Packer - Laser Etch in Gorham, ME

I worked at IRWIN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

3 and 4 day work weeks - Good Benefits if you become full-time - Great Co-workers - Company Discount On Products

Cons

12 Hour shifts - Very Sexist against women - Standing for the entire shift - Short Breaks - Extremely High Turnover -Unstable management and work structure.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees LIKE THEY MATTER...because they are the ONLY reason this horrible establishment is surviving... Stop the 12 hour shifts..This is a HUGE part of your High turnover rate. Place more emphasis on your training program. Help employees when they are short handed... Don't just walk around looking busy when you're not... Open the lines of communication, offer more incentives to become a full- time employee.. There are too many things to list here that need to be addressed...Start with these..if you can handle it... This is by far the worst job I have ever endured. Yes, having 3 and 4 days off in a row may sound great... but in retrospect, the other half of the week that you are working you want to die, so my question to you is...Is a job worth your sanity? Furthermore, let me give you a run down of the daily routine, you come in at 6 am - if you punch in A MINUTE LATE your attendance time is docked an ENTIRE HOUR - That's RIGHT..An HOUR...The same goes for punching out at the end of the day...if you punch out A MINUTE EARLY... even though at the end of the day you end up standing around the last 5 or 10 minutes anyways...You proceed to stand on a concrete floor in steel toe boots for the entire twelve hours - less your 1 hour of breaks. two 15 minute breaks -PAID - 1 half hour UNPAID... OH, and don't go into the break room a second early, or you will catch hell...This, although small...makes you very irritable when you're working such long shifts. I did this ONE TIME -- because there are three different clocks out on the Plant Floor with different times...so needless to say...One was probably right, one was late, and one was early, apparently I went by the early one... Current employees train you, which I am never really a fan of - MANAGEMENT should be involved in at least some way, for quality assurance. Management doesn't talk to you, they simple walk around looking busy, which I'm sure they couldn't be less so. The only thing management will do is point out all the things you've done wrong- even though it's likely you were not taught correctly to begin with. I once overheard a shift manager saying how proud she was to have gotten an employee to quit... Really? You are proud you are irritating people that much they simply walk out...This place doesn't need additional reasons to suck...It has plenty of those.....What is wrong with you people?? The daily dynamic changes constantly - such high turn - over it will make your head spin. So if Johnny stops showing up, guess who's doing his job... Probably you. Sometimes you're doing the same repetitive task the ENTIRE WEEK. The job itself isn't difficult, but try doing the same motion for that long over and over - Your back, legs, and feet are going to ache. Another great perk to packing tools is....if the order is set up incorrectly...and you pack them...YOU WILL have to open the previously packed tool sets you spent days or weeks filling when the error is discovered...Even though the material handlers are suppose to deliver the correct parts...This will make you want to blow your head off...Guaranteed. You will have to attend these useless meetings where the management goes through this boring slideshow addressing issues, but never really fixing anything. They tell you to ask questions but as soon as you do, you are asked to shut up. The pay rate is always a big negative mark in the surveys taken by employees - but they never talk about increasing it - They are just so happy that the plant has gone 999 days accident free- and that is something to kick up your heels about - Must be great for them - no expensive workers comp - Your co-workers are usually pretty great - But the very good, smart ones never stay. Mediocrity is the most highly coveted quality, and if you're a woman, kiss any respect or appreciation good - bye. Most of the employees go out into their cars on break and smoke pot - come back blazed and can't perform simple job functions after getting so cooked. Management turns a blind eye to this even though everyone knows this....They do a drug test before you're hired...but I think when you're in...they could care less. I don't think this is a suitable occupation for anyone, everyone that worked there was angry, stressed, over-worked and underpaid. Human beings aren't meant to do this...I don't know about the upper -level positions - but the lower level is a absolute disaster - I don't know how this plant is ever going to make it...It is a mess and I don't know if it can be repaired... I hated this establishment with every fiber of my being - I would never recommend this job to ANYONE...You may have a different slant on it than I have...Only one way to find out - WORK THERE - I dare you - I'm sure they are hiring....

3. great place to work, fun atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC

Pros

free stuff and more free stuff

Cons

small division of newell rubbermaid

5. Truly changing the organization for the first time

Current Employee - Product Manager in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Huntersville, NC

Pros

Flexibility, young people, dynamic environment

Cons

Unfairness in terms of promotion

Advice to Management

Mark Ketchum's message has been great ,but taking a long time to truly take old at IRWIN - still suffers froma good old boy's culture in many ways; Harder for women than men.

RSS Feed </> Embed