ISA (International Studies Abroad)

www.studiesabroad.com

Gustavo Artaza

Global Ambassador

Former Employee - Global Ambassador in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Global Ambassador in La Jolla, CA

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice staff, People are very willing to help you.
    Great perks after working for 10 hours.
    Easy way to make some money.

Cons

First 10 hours are not paid
    Can be time consuming

Best to have more than one global ambassador on each campus so they can work as a team

Not worth it...

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time

Pros

You can meet some great people while working there. There are people that are passionate for the field and enjoy advising students.

Cons

You do not get paid enough for the amount of stress that you have to go through. Upper management cannot make a decision and the stress falls on the entry and mid level employees. Letting the upper management and the CEO always make the decisions, leads to chaos in the office and no one ever knowing what is going on. The changing of deadlines and locations at the last minute is appalling. As a former GlobaLinks employee, witnessing the merger and the actions taken over the last few months were unprofessional and insulting. Taking programs with good numbers and literally watching them crash and burn due to the lack of leadership is also appalling.

The vacation and sick time is minimal and the traveling for work is not a perk. They make it as difficult as possible to make arrangements for yourself.

When half of your company quits without another job lined up, maybe you should snap out of your delusional mindset and face why they are actually leaving.

Nov 6, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to clarify that prior to the merger, the staff turnover rate for GlobaLinks was higher than it has been since the merger, which we hope will put some of ... More

It Depends Who You Ask

Former Employee - University Relations Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - University Relations Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your coworkers at ISA are what makes working at ISA enjoyable. Most are passionate about what they do and really want to help make the world better by helping students study overseas. There are opportunities for lateral movement and very few opportunities to rise above middle-management. Dependent on position, there are opportunities to travel and relocate. If you're fresh out of school with no experience, I would say take a job here, otherwise unless they are going to pay you what you're worth, don't bother.

Cons

The below average pay, lack of consistency in management (one person says this and another will say that), micromanagement/over involvement. Growing too fast and wanting to stay a "mom and pop shop." The money hungry attitudes of the higher ups.

It's a shame when nearly all of your employees roll their eyes, say things tongue in cheek regarding certain aspects of the way you're doing business. I would say the number one thing that needs to happen would be giving a damn about the people that are making you money; it's certainly not reciprocated for the amount of time and effort they put into their jobs.

Oct 24, 2014Director of Human Resources

We agree that the ISA offices are brimming with passionate, dynamic individuals who are dedicated to providing an exceptional study abroad experience for our students. We appreciate the hard work ... More

"Okay for recent grads or ISA alumni, but if you know any better it's not worth it"

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time

Pros

I was a former GlobaLinks Learning Abroad employee, and became an ISA employee due the merger. I gave this new organization a chance, and unfortunately it was not a good cultural fit for me. The one positive result of this merger was that I did form a few good friendships with ISA staff.

Cons

Many of the cons have already been stated in other postings, but the biggest cons to me included:

Micromanagement of the CEO: If you thrive well when you are allowed to be autonomous with your work, then you will do not well at ISA. Perhaps it was due to the merger, but ISA seems to have too many hands in the cookie jar, making it nearly impossible to get a consistent answer from the Executive Management team.

Company Culture: I was extremely lucky to have started my career in international education at GlobaLinks Learning Abroad, an organization that truly cared about its employees and empowering young professionals to gain experience in the field of IE. Transitioning into the ISA culture was extremely difficult coming from GlobaLinks Learning Abroad, as I knew what it was like to work for a study abroad provider that truly cared about both its students and its employees ((these were not just words meant to garner a positive public image). Many young professionals who begin their careers at ISA love ISA, but I think it is because they have never worked at another study abroad program provider previously. They have not had a chance to compare and contrast working at two different study abroad providers. From my experience as an ISA employee, decisions were made with emotions and were reactive in nature.

Handling of the merger: There are only a handful of former-GlobaLinks Learning Abroad employees left at ISA, either because their positions were eliminated, they were terminated, or they left on their own free will. Multiple people left ISA before having another job lined up, which should speak wonders given the current state of the economy and the scarcity of IE jobs in Colorado. Instead of replacing these former-GlobaLinks employees, their work was simply handed off to what remaining former-GLA employees were left in the Denver office. This created a workload that was impossible to maintain, and employees were told to simply work more hours. This is not a long-term solution.

Two words: Employee Engagement

Nov 6, 2014Director of Human Resources

Gain experience, grow a thick skin, put it on your CV, then get the hell out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As so many others have already stated, ISA does well at hiring young, adventurous, lovely people for entry-level positions. As a result, you have a built-in friend circle, which is helpful to the 90% of the employees who have just moved to Austin from out of state.

The service students receive from their points of contact, in the US and abroad is unparalleled. Student services representatives, site specialists, and program managers across divisions of the company are dedicated to establishing rapport with students and universities, and work hard to prepare students for a transformative international education experience. Resident staff across the world are incredibly hard-working, and genuinely love to help create a welcoming, safe, and engaging experience for US students.

Cons

ISA is very much like a runaway train. The wheels are on the tracks most of the time, except for when there are any bumps and you're catching air and barreling down a mountain. At some point there will be an arduous uphill jaunt which will require a lot of labor and oftentimes uncertainty in your own worth, but miraculously this impediment also serves to slow the careening and out-of-control train, so somehow it is also the only time in which you may be able to catch your breath.

The CEO does understand how to make money, and values this outcome above all else. Above retaining talented and passionate employees, above serving the students and maintaining valued client relationships; capital is valued above progress or innovation, and with the large number of former ISA employees remaining in the international education field, it's hard to believe that there hasn't been a boycott of services on a larger scale. Large university study abroad offices reject ISA, and they are made out to be the enemy because they advocate for their students' finances as well as experiences.

The company is steered along a course emotionally and reactively rather than proactively and pragmatically. There is no business model, and decisions made in February about branding, programs, policies, etc. will be overturned in November once the bottom line has changed. If you have seen numbers decline [whereby 'numbers' equals the number of students paying the CEO] for your region, for your sites, etc. you will likely see this directly represented in a decreased salary raise.

As a result of CEO communication and tyranny, executive level management rarely has a voice that is heard by the CEO, and creates an environment in which each member of the US Exec Committee clamors over one another in the way kids are made to with a fairly neglectful parent. Mid-level management has zero voice, and is not able to advocate for their employees [re: site visits, title changes, involvement in projects, etc.] for fear of losing their spot on the good side of the CEO. Intuition for the irrational moodiness of the CEO and an understanding of manipulative communication will be some of your most necessary skills to do well here.

Ultimately, ISA affords entry-level employees the opportunity to move to Austin, which is a super cool city, and offers a neat network of individuals to become friends with in and out of the work place. For very recent graduates, these positions should be viewed as stepping stones to other careers, where you may be able to gain skills in logistics, planning, advising, intercultural communication, office culture, etc.

If however, you expect to be trusted to act with the integrity and work ethic you surely have and you hope to be recognized for your achievements and efforts, i would recommend lowering your expectations.

Also, be forewarned of a general misogyny within the company from the CEO and some of the other members of management; complaints made by employees addressing the ineptitude and sometimes inappropriateness of their supervisors will often be regarded as falling out of favor, and multiple times this has resulted in demotion and/or termination of employment.

Install a CEO and or COO of the company who is not also the President and Founder; a person who is business-minded but rational and practical. Cutting down on the daily oversight and powers of dictatorship maintained by Gustavo Artaza would help grow this company and help to steer the runaway train back onto a more consistent and well-oiled course.

Sep 18, 2014Director of Human Resources

We agree that our level of service for students is unparalleled, and we have energetic, passionate team members both stateside and on-site who are dedicated to providing exceptional international ... More

Will squash your passion for this field

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time

Pros

-fun, young co-workers
    -great dress code
    -lots of change, so you can learn a lot if you're just starting out

Cons

-horrible benefits and unreasonable time off
    -unrealistic expectations of employees. Growing too quickly, doesn't attempt to get to know employees.
    -Unstable, unsustainable environment with too much change. Employees who stick around are overloaded with work.
    -little regard for moral and employees' health & stability - a "put up or shut up" type environment
    -a harsh business, not an organization that cares about education and students' well being
    -senior management takes advantage of young, motivated out-of-college employees
    -questionable ethics on certain issues (but most of these will be shielded from "low" employees)
    -a very corporate environment

-this is a small, interconnected field. Consider listening to your employees and thinking long-term. Keep employees happy, promote motivated, hard working people and you will have an entirely different, respected company. What goes around comes around. If you want to succeed you must trust people and hire and maintain great people. All successful businesses will tell you this. Stop worrying about doing more and more, and just get back to basics. Good people, good service, passion for what we do. That will elevate your business and change students' lives.

Oct 14, 2014Director of Human Resources

We are sorry that you had a negative experience during your time with ISA, but we wanted to clarify a few points. While we believe that ISA is a great place to work, with an open atmosphere and many ... More

Low pay, few benefits, but a foot in the door of international education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ISA (International Studies Abroad) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Amazing, motivated co-workers
    -Opportunity to maybe travel abroad once during your employment
    -Young office with laid back dress code
    -Interesting to learn about various programs and countries
    -Foot in the door for those interested in international education
    -Can get a lot of airline miles, hotel perks

Cons

-Obsessed with enrollment/numbers
    -Extremely high turnover rate: nearly half of the company has left in last 2 years
    -Very low pay (starting around $30k)
    -Paid time off is a joke: 5 paid days for year one, 7 for year two. For a company full of travelers, way too little.
    -Management often inexperienced and barely trained
    -Work load too much for pay and benefits
    -Make you pay expenses for work related travel
    -Have employees write falsified Glassdoor reviews
    -Expected to put in lots of extra hours with no recognition

Please pay your dedicated, caring, intelligent, experienced and overall great employees more. You'd see much higher retention rates. Also, send people on site visits earlier in their careers at ISA- may inspire people to stay much longer. More time off would be very beneficial to everyone and would only improve morale. ISA could also be closed the week or two weeks around Christmas and save tons in utilities! Literally 90% of the company is from out of state. We need more time off for things like holidays, funerals, etc. Recognize your hardworking employees for all that they do for you.

Sep 11, 2014Director of Human Resources

There are several pieces of misinformation that we would like to clarify in the above review. The information stated about paid time off, turnover rate, expenses for work-related travel, and ... More

Amazing people, valuable work experience, opportunity to grow within the company.

Former Employee - Regional Director of University Relations in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Director of University Relations in Austin, TX

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked within the University Relations department at ISA from 2005 to 2012, and I remain very thankful for the experiences and opportunities the company provided me during my time there. I made lifetime friends and gained valuable work experience that has helped me in my career tremendously since I left ISA. I was hired directly after completing my bachelor’s degree with little professional experience but a great deal of motivation and willingness to learn. Management recognized my potential and helped me focus my energy and skills, eventually placing me in a position where I can honestly say that I made significant and meaningful contributions to the organization.

By far, the company's number one asset is its people. Being that a background in study abroad and international travel is a job requirement, every staff member has exciting stories to share and a passion for different people and cultures. This shared ideal amongst all employees creates a work environment that can be motivating and inspiring. Overall the staff is very young and extremely ambitious. While working with a younger staff can be energizing, it can also lead to high levels of turnover as young professionals discover what they want/don't want from their careers. This is something that ISA struggled with while I was with the organization. For this reason, ISA tends to have lower starting salaries for entry-level positions. That said, for employees at ISA that work hard, show initiative, make positive contributions, and stick around for longer than two years, there are plenty of opportunities for upward mobility within the company and very competitive salary ranges. With regards to employee turnover, there have been significant improvements in employee retention at ISA over the past several years, due to both exponential growth and improved employee benefits.

Overall my experience with ISA was very positive. I was challenged, motivated, supported, and fairly compensated. I was given the structure needed to succeed, but also the flexibility and freedom to challenge myself and ensure that my workday was not mundane. I had a great working relationship with upper management and feel like I had their trust and support, as well as the ability to voice my concerns when necessary. Many of the negative comments people have made here with regard to upper management I feel come down to conflicting personalities/company culture. ISA is a growing company that has remnants of a mom-and-pop operation. The CEO and upper management are very involved with day-to-day operations and do have a tendency to micro-manage employees early on. This is something that changes once you’ve proven yourself to be a trustworthy and reliable employee. That said, those at ISA who struggle to build positive relationships with management or who cannot get past their initial involvement will likely not enjoy working at ISA. For those that can, there are plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement. As with any organization, there are ups and downs to working at ISA. It is my experience that employees who focus on the positives of the job and actively seek opportunities to contribute often thrive.

Pros as cons of working with ISA can vary significantly between departments. Below is a list of pros as I see them for the University Relations Department.
    • Great people, with lots of travel experiences, stories, and positive energy
    • Fun and exciting work environment
    • International travel opportunities
    • Visiting college campuses across the country and promoting international travel, speaking of your own adventures regularly
    • Lots of travel benefits (i.e. miles, hotel points, etc)
    • Not at all mundane, work changes every day
    • Great vacation opportunities
    • Potential growth within the company
    • Creativity and initiative strongly encouraged
    • Great networking opportunities within the field of international education

Cons

Again, pros as cons of working with ISA can vary significantly between departments. Below is a list of cons as I see them for the University Relations Department.
    • If you don't get along with management, you will not do well.
    • Starting pay is on the low end for entry-level positions.
    • ISA does not pay for potential, but does reward loyalty if you work hard and prove yourself through your first 2-year commitment.
    • University Relations staff at other organizations often work from home within their region, allowing for lots of work/life flexibility. This is not the case at ISA. All employees work out of an ISA office in Austin, Denver, Lexington, or the Boston area. This is only a con if you do not wish to work in any of these locations.
    • In-office work schedule is not very flexible (no work from home options, 40 hrs per week in the office).
    • It's a lot of work and a lot of travel away from home, but if you enjoy it, it's not a con.
    • As mentioned previously, early on there is quite a bit of micromanagement. My experience is that this gets better with time and with earned trust.

As the company grows it will become increasingly important and necessary for upper management to remove itself from day-to-day employee responsibilities and non-vital decisions. Empowering middle-management to make important decisions will help to ease the "micromanagement" culture that many struggle with and increase productivity and morale. Additionally, moving away form predominantly hiring "fresh-out-of-college" entry-level employees could help with turnover and save money in the long-run, even if initial salaries are increased. Certainly having a younger staff adds a lot of great energy and enthusiasm, which has helped to make ISA successful, but adding a mix of seasoned professionals could hep with professional development within the company and decrease turnover. This is something the organization was moving towards in my last couple of years with ISA.

Inside perspective from the 'merger' of GlobaLinks/ISA- Strongly encouraging ISA to be honest in review responses.

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I worked at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time

Pros

ISA is a fast moving BUSINESS.
    I want to emphasize (and echo other reviews) that ISA is very much a business and puts revenue and numbers before individuals (students, employees, university relationships, etc.). If you want to play ball with big business (like the Walmart of study abroad), speak their language, and network your way to the top, this could be a great organization for you.

People enjoy working there. In Austin, that is.
    There are people in high level positions who have been at ISA for YEARS. They must be doing something right for some people in Austin.

The CEO enjoys a good debate.
    Don't get me wrong, the leadership will always do whatever they want, BUT it is nice to have a leader who is up for a good debate- with anyone. Just be sure you don't mention that you MIGHT not be happy with something about ISA because you may just end up fired instead of working towards a resolution.

Cons

Merger with GlobaLinks:
    Yes- mergers happen (and let's be honest, it was a sale/acquisition) and good people are let go for lots of different reasons. We all get that. Business is business.

The lack of leadership, transparency, predictability, and vision throughout the process was appalling. On day 50 of the merger, there was a presentation to GlobaLinks employees about what ISA is all about, which divisions we might all be working with in the Austin office, and what the plan was for integration for the two offices. That's some hard data about when ISA felt it was important to explain who ISA is and why GlobaLinks employees should want to work at ISA: Day 50.

The atmosphere/sentiment in the Denver office is still shifting and morale is LOW:
    There are still a lot of people coming and going from the Austin office, getting let go, quitting, or talking about quitting. The environment is incredibly unstable. Especially in the international education field where quality job openings are RARE, you know the situation is bad when people quit their jobs without securing another job.

Flat-out dishonesty through vague responses:
    I can't fault the employees for this one because I don't think anyone in the organization is empowered to have an individual thought or make individual decisions because every decision has to go through the CEO. Also note that the decisions made by the CEO are subject to change at any moment without notice.

Want examples of vague responses? Look at all of the ISA responses right here on GlassDoor.

Have a vision for the Denver office and share it!
    Yes, decisions during a merger/acquisition often need to be made week by week, but there should at least be a vision or goal or a semblance of a plan to get from point A to point B. When you have a plan, it is easier to say, "Unfortunately, your position does not fit into the plan" instead of "This is what we have to offer you right now and if you don't like it, you can leave." People want to feel valued for what they have to offer (be a part of a plan) and have at least some level of predictability (understand the plan/vision).

Treat people like intelligent humans: As if they have a life that is often impacted by their career. Because it is.
    There is a certain level of humanity that is a 'nice to have' and should be a best practice for any business.

Be honest. Be transparent.
    A few things from HR responses in earlier GlassDoor reviews need to be clarified with some accurate data:
    ISA WAS contractually obligated to keep all employee salaries the same. Unfortunately, they worked around that by offering a few employees 'new' jobs with new salaries and job descriptions as a workaround. In some cases at close to 50% less than their GlobaLinks salary. Also- no one was getting paid what they were worth at GlobaLinks, so a 50% cut is just insulting.

Another example of poor direction/clarity:
    At the beginning of the acquisition, GlobaLinks employees were told by ISA that no benefits (vacation time, sick time, etc) were changing through the end of 2014. In the next breath, we would be told that actually SOME benefits would be changing, but for everything that WOULDN'T be changing, we should refer to the GlobaLinks handbook. It took MONTHS to get clarification as to which benefits in the handbook were applicable. For example: The GlobaLinks handbook outlined Christmas Day through New Year's Day as PTO and that benefit was the first to be revoked even though our vacation time was "staying the same".

ISA missed a HUGE opportunity.
    People at GlobaLinks weren't happy. It would have only taken the tiniest bit of effort to get to know people in the Denver office and make them feel like they were a part of a new and great organization. Because who knows? ISA might just be terrible at buying other companies, but a great place to work. All it would have taken was a bit of humanity and some vision. We were all hoping a company as successful as ISA would have provided both!

Sep 18, 2014Director of Human Resources

We agree that ISA is a dynamic, evolving organization that is fortunate enough to operate in an ever-changing field, with happy team members in all four of our stateside offices. We are sorry that ... More

Rapidly growing company, great for entry-level experience, but high employee turn-around

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ISA (International Studies Abroad) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ISA is a leader amongst other third party study abroad providers. With the recent acquisition of another major study abroad provider, GlobaLinks, ISA is making a name for itself in the field of International Education. The employees of ISA are committed to providing students with a great study abroad experience. My co-workers are some of the most interesting people that I've ever met, having done some amazing things at such a young age. This is a very young company and the median age is around 25, so this is many employees' first job outside of college. These young employees are given projects that allow them to build their professional portfolios and grow professionally. ISA's hiring managers see the potential in very "green" young professionals and help them cultivate their skills and find their passions. Recently, upper-level management have been going out of their way to promote higher morale amongst employees, such as extended lunches to watch World Cup matches, which has not gone unnoticed.

Cons

The commitment to the customer can mean that employees work extended hours and are not necessarily rewarded for that work, because going above-and-beyond is expected. The merger with GlobaLinks has been very smooth, but there seems to be a slight disconnect between the Austin and Denver offices (which will surely iron out after some time). Compensation and benefits leave much to be desired, especially when employees are avid world travelers and can't find the extra money or PTO to explore the world. There is also a very high turn-around of employees. In the short time that I have been at ISA, over 40 people have left the company (usually on good terms). As stated before, this is a great organization for entry-level positions, but it is easy to become stagnant in your position, so employees are forced to begin looking for opportunities elsewhere, with more potential for growth and better compensation.

Continue to find ways to increase the longevity of your workforce's time at ISA. You have been great with keeping your mind open to allowing young employees take on projects to improve our services, but be sure to not let the initiatives spearheaded by your employees go unnoticed. By simply adjusting compensation to cover the living expenses incurred by living in south Austin or giving additional PTO will surely increase productivity and the overall morale of your employees, resulting in more company loyalty.

ISA (International Studies Abroad) Photos