ISA

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
2.7

CEO

Worked as interviewer less than a year.

Former Employee - Interview Associate in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Interview Associate in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at ISA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good steady work. Professional operation, well defined roles. Good long-term management provides good support.

Cons

Not much chance for upward mobility. Minimum wage job, with very little chance for more. It takes years to get a raise there.

Loosen up with the purse strings. There's some good people who would stick around if you offered more than minimum wage and part time hours. Also, no benefits.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Floor Manager in Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Manager in Alhambra, CA

I worked at ISA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my Boss in Alhambra (Kelly) she was and still is a great trainer, very fair and able to give constructive criticism in a way that any employee can receive it positively and utilize in all jobs.

Cons

No room for growth as nobody is moving so there is nowhere to move if you are in a leadership position.

Consider a development plan for employees eager to move up within the company.

Low pay, tough, and stressful job.

Former Employee - Data Collection Interviewer in Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Data Collection Interviewer in Alhambra, CA

I worked at ISA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

(I worked at the Alhambra location from Oct 2006 - Aug 2010.)

- They work around your school schedule however they do require you to work at least one weekend.

- Bonus or more $$$ per hour if bilingual, must pass a test, maybe a little different now, unsure of that.

- Close to a lot of fast food places and had a vending machine, soda machine, and coffee machine. (Unsure if that has changed). Also have a small kitchen and eating area.

- Most if not all the coworkers are friendly and great to talk to, same with the supervisors.

- The strangers try and quote the "Do Not Call List", after they are done quoting, we end up spending 2 minutes or so explaining how that does not apply to market researches and political poll type surveys, which in a way is sort of satisfying.

- Great stories and experiences from both the coworkers and the strangers that you talk to.

- Sometimes but rarely you get great strangers to interview and conduct surveys to, especially those that have worked in the same or similar field or have family members or friends who have.

- If they need people, they will call for overtime or you can ask to work overtime for other surveys.

- Bonus $$$ for completing a certain number of surveys.

- Working on the holidays.

- Made long lasting friendships with the people you work with. (The dealers, the parolee's, the retiree's, the students, etc.)

- Real cute coworkers (sometimes).

- When I recently visited the location, it seem they have changed in the decor as well as who they hired. Although I could be wrong about this, since the last time I visited was about 5 - 9 months ago.

- They are close to the Alhambra police department. (depending on who you are)

- Across the street from the post office.

- A block from the Edwards Alhambra Renaissance Stadium 14 & IMAX.

- A block and a few streets from Starbucks on Main heading towards Atlantic.

- Sometimes you get great surveys that are fun to conduct and the customers/strangers enjoy partaking weather the surveys are short or long durations. Sometimes those that qualify and complete the survey will get prizes or gifts from the clients.

- I would recommend this as a temporary place if you are still in high school, community college, college, but do not stay that long because the stress of the workplace will get to you, and that vending machine WILL eventually become your best friend.

Cons

- It's minimum wage when I worked here from 2006 - 2010 and you make a little more the better you are at convincing strangers to conduct and finish the survey.

- Most of the calls are cold calls, sometimes there are some clients that provide the numbers of the customers. Sometimes the clients provide us more information than they should like the personal 9 digit numbers.

- Get treated very badly by the strangers we call because they (strangers or customers of the clients), "jump to the conclusion" that you are either trying to steal information, sell some type of product, or some other negative subject.

- Strangers will try every way possible to make us suffer because they are mis-inform or clueless about who we are by screaming into the phone, having a air-horn blasted into the phone, pretending they are interested in the survey while raising our hopes, than hanging up a minute - 10 minutes into it.

- The pressure from the supervisor to meet quota or be sent home. You are not guarantee the maximum hours for the part-time shift.

- Work during the holidays and experience strangers yelling and swearing at you for calling during the holidays.

- Need to call every day to check if you are schedule to work, sometimes you may not be schedule for a few months. It depends on what surveys they put you on and how good you are.

- At the time that I worked there, we had coworkers who were parolees, retiree's, students, drug dealers, etc.

- When I worked there, we had a coworker who would come to work drunk or getting there, on lunch break, go get a 40 and drink/or get high, after work, go get drunk and high. Than one day, that coworker went to the men's restroom and high on drugs (not just marijuana) but also possibly crack and also drunk. Decide to get his own feces and smeared it all over the men's restroom. I mean like the doors, the mirrors, the ceiling, the sink, the walls, and the floor.

- Will meet the occasionally crack head (Only encounter a serious one when I worked there, was really racist, really funny and entertaining with great stories. Also she would smoke crack in the elevator, garage, and women's restroom.

- Supervisors who will hit on you as well as coworkers. (the normal workplace sexual harassment b.s. This applies to both genders).

- Terrible parking in underground garage, really hard to find good parking spot. Best place to park was across the street in the plaza.

- They are close to the Alhambra police department. (depending on who you are)

- The elevator sometimes does not work and falling apart (could be wrong, they may have repaired it by now.)

- Sometimes you get put on terrible surveys with duration lengths of 40 - an hour or more, that is where we loose most of the customers.

- Some of the coworkers will not respect the "your lunch with your name" rule.

- Some coworkers will pretend to be you and use your name and be rude towards customers/strangers.

- The vending machine and soda machine will become your BEST friend.

Better pay since we "the data collectors" have to deal with the worse of the customers/strangers.

More bonuses to motivate the data collectors as well as the customers/strangers if possible.

Better work environment.

Enforce the conduct of the data collectors who were abusing the call-back system and or making sure when the clients provide the customers information, it does not display their really really personal 9 digit information.

The supervisors that I had were amazing at their job but strict, depending on what survey you are assigned to.

It was a nice temp.

Former Employee - Data Collector in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Data Collector in Lancaster, CA

I worked at ISA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Environment was very comfortable and the workers are very friendly.

Cons

You may go days without work

Professional Staff, Not Enough Hours

Current Employee - Data Collector
    Current Employee - Data Collector

I have been working at ISA part-time

Pros

The staff here are very patient and will assist you in any way they can. Honesty is always encouraged and they motivate you to keep getting "one more" to meet production demands. This job will help you understand what it means to not anticipate refusals, but to move on to the next person, which is helpful in life application and in future jobs.

You will find many interesting studies on health care, entertainment, politics, and recent events. I cannot indulge more details because this is confidential, I think.

Cons

This is either for those who need it as a first job, something in-between, or for retirement - case in point, since this is a call center for surveys the pay starts at minimum wage and it increases. It doesn't pay well.

The scheduling is always up-in-air, and you never know if you are scheduled until 11pm, normally 3 hours before your shift. You never know when you'll end because it depends on how many completed surveys you get, and if there are enough hours, and if you get switched to another study.

(These cons mentioned above are already spelled out from HR before your hiring, so this isn't a big surprise. The inconsistent hours are part of the job, but it doesn't make it easy for those supporting themselves.)

Lastly, since this job involves cold-calling, it's part of the job to receive irate respondents, either because they assume your selling them something and won't listen or just don't want to be bothered. It's understandable, but that is the challenge with this job - be prepared to expect it.

It would be nice to have better notice of schedule on a weekly basis than on a daily basis to plan more in advance.

Overall OK

Former Employee - Coordinator in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at ISA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

They need to make the salaries competitive with others in their field or other businesses in the area.

Listen to the workers. Some management are not being truthful.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ISA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and good management team

Cons

Lot of travel and no much career oppurtunities

I don't feel a sense of "mutual respect"

Current Employee - Data Collector in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Data Collector in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at ISA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours. You may work 3-5 days a week, but must work on one week end shift. Most of the workers are keeping nice positive attitude despite of the dull repetitive work.

Cons

You don't know if you have work that day until 3 hours prior to your starting time. You need to call the office every day to confirm. Your hours are not guaranteed. They do "performance check" every 2-3 hours and would send home whoever they think that are "behind". For this type of job, hard work may not mean good result, but if you are lucky, you may get a few people to agree to do survey. (but can't tell them that you have 50 questions to ask.) Each survey might take 40-60 min. Not many people have that much of free time for a phone call. No rewarding job at all.

I just don't feel a sense of "mutual respect" between employees and employer. Instead of telling us "you have no work today" 3 hours before the work start, can you at least have schedule a day in advance? Losing a pay for the day and not being able to plan anything is not very nice, if you would care for your employees.

Flexible hours, but horrible environment

I worked at ISA

Pros

-flexible hours
    -free to multitask

Cons

-bad environment
    -rude customers
    -tiring and repetitive job

Able to gain experience in phone communication, but horrible environment and job

I worked at ISA

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to gain experience in phone communication. I worked here when I was a student, so I was able to do homework while making (automatic) calls to residential homes. They do not care what you do as long as you are doing a good job collecting data for them.

Cons

Basically, your job requires you to get yelled at by people you call. Though this job is not a telemarketing job, the people you call usually mistakes you for one and are often rude towards you. Being treated with this cold attitude hundreds of times per day will drive anyone's mood down. You do get used to it after awhile, but it is still not pleasant.

At the same time, the colleagues there are not exactly easy to get along with. Most of them are just there because it is a job that pays. They're not really there to advance their career paths or move up the ladder in anyway.

Give more praise to data collectors and make the environment more welcoming.