IST Management Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
81 reviews filtered by
2.3
Hal Blackman

Pros
  • MEET NEW PEOPLE AND BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS (in 4 reviews)

• You work with great people--the clients, that is (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a con but as a growing company there have been some growong pains as the infastructure catches up to the sales growth (in 7 reviews)

• The Site Managers seem to think that all STAR employees are not 'real' employees for IST (in 5 reviews)

1. Amazing company culture, great benefits, and great pay.

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at IST Management

Pros

Uncapped commissions for sales account executives

Cons

Long sales cycles, competetive marketplace

Jan 21, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experiences!
    J.R. Lafont
    Director of Human Resources

2. No benefit and unpaid- no Promotion

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IST Management

Pros

Nice sites to work with Companies. No micro-Manager

Cons

this company don't offered benefits and better pay.

I think management need to have a better pay scale and benefits.

Don't Work here!

Current Employee - Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Service Specialist

I have been working at IST Management

Pros

Nice Coworkers, sometimes you get free lunches. Thats about it.

Cons

Under paid. Over worked. They will hire anyone, people who don't even know how to turn on a computer! You don't feel like a valued employee. District manager comes once a week or so, but never really talks to anyone else besides the manager on site. They will treat you like janitors, cleaning out spills and such in the fridge or anywhere actually.They don't offer much of a raise or any promotions, so don't even consider trying to move up in the company. They don't promote from within either. They will hire a new manger and make you train them. IST was one of the worse companies I have ever worked for.

Don't get caught in a trap

I have been working at IST Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employees, minus management are good people.

Cons

Where to begin? Little to no raises, low pay, no room for advancement. I have worked for IST for well over a year. The matrix they use for reviews is unfair in some situations. Good hard working employees are punished with extremely low wages because they are good at what they do. I have never heard of a company before where an employee has to use their EARNED PTO time for national holidays off. I can absolutely understand why there is a constant revolving door of employees coming and going. You realize rather quickly how a person just cant afford to work here. The only reason I am still stuck here is my family has this strange medical condition where they need to eat EVERY day. A feat that is getting harder to accomplish day by day.

Compensate the good employees. Throw that matrix out the window. Not every situation is a one size fits all mode. Jobs and responsibilities should not be seen as such. Don't hire someone and tell them this is a list of your duties, then double that list in a few months then dismiss them like garbage come review time.

Mar 5, 2015Director of Human Resources

My name is Jean-Robert Lafont and I am the Director of Human Resources for IST Management Services. I'd like to speak with you about your experiences with us. I can see that you are misinformed on ... More

You do not want to work here

I worked at IST Management

Pros

If you are in the upper ranks of the company you'll do fine as you'll enjoy the revenue generated by field employees.

Cons

It is a mismanaged company. The leadership doesn't care about field employees only sales and billing. Their solution to everything is dismiss and replace.

Jan 21, 2015Director of Human Resources

My name is J.R. Lafont and I am the Director of Human Resources for IST Management. I'd like to learn more about your experiences with our company. Please call me at 404-582-8832 or email me at ... More

Watch Out For This Company

Former Employee - Site Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at IST Management full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No pros to mention. Nothing positive to say about having worked for them. I'm just glad I got out!

Cons

There are several cons: No raises, next to no benefits, no help from upper management. They don't care at all about their employees. They fire people and don't follow their own procedures in doing this.

Appreciate your employees! Without them you are nothing!!

Jan 21, 2015Director of Human Resources

My name is J.R. Lafont and I am the Director of Human Resources for IST Management. Please give me a call (404-582-8832) or email me (jlafont@istmanagment.com) as I'd like to learn more about your ... More

8. Just My Opinion

Current Employee - Site Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IST Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee oriented. Warm and passionate. Customer focused.

Cons

Pay scale is poor. To demand the best they need to make the compensation better.

Needs more customer services on training for the associates.

Nov 5, 2014VP Administration

Thank you for your comments regarding your work experience at IST. We appreciate our current employees' feedback so that we can gauge what is working well and what we need to focus on to make IST a ... More

My experience has been great, unfortunately the cons outweigh the pros.

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at IST Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, strong leadership, strong foundation, great office experience to grow a career (potentially elsewhere) I understand that Mr. Blackman wants all of his employees to have free healthcare and with the high turnover rate it's nearly impossible to do.(I was going to put that into cons, however I understand where IST is coming from) Work-life balance is not bad. Everything is in black and white. You're expected to be at your work site at X time and you get to leave at Y time and get paid for it. Not too hard of a concept I saw some negative reviews about this but that is just life, and I have seen IST work diligently on this issue but due to some client demands this isn't available. If you embrace the suck long enough there are good opportunities for progression, I have talked to people who have overcame the hurdles. I haven't experienced a lot of clients but the couple that I have interacted with and sites I worked at are very positive and great people to work with, and interact with. IST is also very charitable, and raised a lot of awareness to certain things in particular Cystic Fibrosis which I have nothing but the utmost respect for their efforts. Their software for the most part is really great, you can track a lot of items with it as well as communicate with end users with just about everything you do for them.

-Other notes from other people who wrote inaccurate examples about IST

-Someone implied that IST is racist. IST is one of the best equal opportunity employers I have seen I have seen numerous ethnicities among the various levels of IST. I came to realize that the person who was complaining doesn't type well or spell well, Which isn't a good look for a company that is supposed to have 0 errors with grammar and spelling since we are in the copy industry.

-Another person complained about their client being nuts. Could be a multitude of reasons this is. My assumption is you're not meeting the clients demands. If it wasn't for the Client that pays IST my guess is that you might not have a job. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

Cons

I'm not even sure where to start for cons. It's not necessarily IST's fault it's the aggression of the business they are in with all of the competition. They tend to undercut bids against rivals and unfortunately the workers on the front lines that provide the real customer experience for the clients have to pay for it financially since most of the contract money goes towards HR, IT, operations, and all of the other overhead costs. Not only is the pay low for some of the work you do depending on your area. The paid time off is atrocious I don't by any means expect to have a lot of time off but you accrue 8.68 hours per month and that includes sick time, vacation time, personal time, holidays etc. You are forced to take PTO for your clients holidays (unless there is another site open on that holiday you can potentially work there but it's not a guarantee). So if your client has 10 holidays and you can only accrue approx 14-15 days per year your actual vacation time is 4-5 days per year. My biggest pet peeve is that a service specialist in Manhattan NY is only paid $10 an hour and you need to wear a tie with presentable dress clothes which costs decent money unless you want to look like a slob. The pay doesn't add up to what your required to wear let alone do. The cost of living in Manhattan is insane you can't take a taxi for more than 5 minutes without it costing you $15 dollars, if you have to go over a bridge to get to work forget about it. Currently the George Washington Bridge is $13 about to go up, the Brooklyn Bridge is $16 to cross, the Tappanzee which is a little ways from the city is $15. McDonald's employees in NYC make almost ten dollars an hour with very low expectations (there are reports its minimum wage but I know someone who had no experience making $9.50 not in a supervisor role. Meanwhile IST has low wages with high expectations. IST is also in the software business and most of them are good people and they have good software . But don't try to critique their software they get very offended and treat you differently afterwards. I recently completed their site manager course which consisted of ten essays based off of videos you watch and it's not an outrageous thing to ask, but you don't get compensated for doing it on your own time because I don't believe in doing work for IST during the clients billable hours. For my efforts I received this plaque that I thought a 9 year old put together for completion. I expected better than that saying how their specialty is in that area. The punches were all over the place to hold the certificate down, the plaque was cheaply made and came from china. It was just a mess. I'm still trying to figure out how corporate can have high expectations of you and send you that junk. I also caught someone committing fraud with their employee motivator "Blackman Bucks Auction" who in my opinion stole over $2000 over the course of two auctions. Never got a thank you from corporate or good catch. There's another auction this weekend and he would probably would have stolen another $1000. Luckily they have their best Operations Manager in my area who is never on the reports, never misses approving employee payroll hours like some of their other operations managers who seem to not have to take accountability for their continued negligence on being on these reports that get dished out on a daily basis and its the same names over and over again.

I only want IST to succeed and be the #1 outsourcing company there is. However I think you need to increase the wage and get more competent people in place so you don't have to underbid everyone. Instead of your sales team relentlessly trying to get contracts to meet quotas. It would be nice to see company's calling us for our services via word of mouth. I know Mr. Blackman is a smart man and he would like that too and the logistics are harder than what I just stated. However if there is a will there is a way. Also by giving the higher wages you would you would limit your high turnover rate which would limit HR's on-boarding process. I may not have a career with IST forever or maybe I will. However I know that IST can do better than what they are doing. Another piece of advice if you could expand your IT department with software developers and have them go into sites for a couple months at a time to tailor to the clients software needs. I think IST would revolutionize the software side of business if they were to do that because they would always be developing new software that could be used at other accounts and it would be nothing but income until the end of time. Please excuse me if I have some grammatical errors I typed this out on my phone to submit.

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

Hi. My name is J.R. Lafont and I am the Director of Human Resources for IST Management Services. I would love to discuss some of the suggestions you have made. Please contact me at ... More

Salary dont match with Salary stated on glassdoor, 4th year employee and no genuine appreciation.

Current Employee - Site Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IST Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting new people, traveling, learn more processes, office culture

Cons

benefits, pay, compensation, I think the company should evaluate the employees performances better and know who add genuine values and who doesn't.

Pay attention more to the employees that make IST flourish and offer more incentives, better raises, more appreciation. I have been a loyal employee for IST for over 4 years going on now almost 5 and I dont feel appreciated, especially with raises and compensation. I would like to have a fair salary and feel more appreciated, I go above and beyond daily and never had a complaint since ive been employeed with IST.

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

Hi. This is J.R. Lafont, Director of Human Services with IST Management Services. Please call me at 404-582-8832 or email me at jlafont@istmanagement.com at your convenience. I would love to ... More

It lacks.

Current Employee - Star in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Star in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IST Management

Pros

A job is a job. You meet people.

Cons

The other outsourcing companies pay their Floaters more. Floaters have to do more work with being at different sites.

Stop interviewing and bringing people in who've applied for regular full time positions and only offering them the "part-time floater" position; that's because you are cheap and want to pay them less when they do the same or more work. This company should be bought out like Oce and Ikon so they can get some help - their regular full time employees aren't even offered medical insurance! They underbid and I believe that's the only reason they have the business they do.

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

This is J.R. Lafont, Director of Human Resources at IST Management Services. I would love to discuss the issues you have raised. Please call me at 404-582-8832 or email me at ... More