IST Management

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.4

Hal Blackman

Pros
  • MEET NEW PEOPLE AND BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS (in 4 reviews)

• You work with great people--the clients, that is (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a con but as a growing company there have been some growong pains as the infastructure catches up to the sales growth (in 7 reviews)

• The Site Managers seem to think that all STAR employees are not 'real' employees for IST (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Just My Opinion

Current Employee - Site Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IST Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee oriented. Warm and passionate. Customer focused.

Cons

Pay scale is poor. To demand the best they need to make the compensation better.

Needs more customer services on training for the associates.

My experience has been great, unfortunately the cons outweigh the pros.

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at IST Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, strong leadership, strong foundation, great office experience to grow a career (potentially elsewhere) I understand that Mr. Blackman wants all of his employees to have free healthcare and with the high turnover rate it's nearly impossible to do.(I was going to put that into cons, however I understand where IST is coming from) Work-life balance is not bad. Everything is in black and white. You're expected to be at your work site at X time and you get to leave at Y time and get paid for it. Not too hard of a concept I saw some negative reviews about this but that is just life, and I have seen IST work diligently on this issue but due to some client demands this isn't available. If you embrace the suck long enough there are good opportunities for progression, I have talked to people who have overcame the hurdles. I haven't experienced a lot of clients but the couple that I have interacted with and sites I worked at are very positive and great people to work with, and interact with. IST is also very charitable, and raised a lot of awareness to certain things in particular Cystic Fibrosis which I have nothing but the utmost respect for their efforts. Their software for the most part is really great, you can track a lot of items with it as well as communicate with end users with just about everything you do for them.

-Other notes from other people who wrote inaccurate examples about IST

-Someone implied that IST is racist. IST is one of the best equal opportunity employers I have seen I have seen numerous ethnicities among the various levels of IST. I came to realize that the person who was complaining doesn't type well or spell well, Which isn't a good look for a company that is supposed to have 0 errors with grammar and spelling since we are in the copy industry.

-Another person complained about their client being nuts. Could be a multitude of reasons this is. My assumption is you're not meeting the clients demands. If it wasn't for the Client that pays IST my guess is that you might not have a job. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

Cons

I'm not even sure where to start for cons. It's not necessarily IST's fault it's the aggression of the business they are in with all of the competition. They tend to undercut bids against rivals and unfortunately the workers on the front lines that provide the real customer experience for the clients have to pay for it financially since most of the contract money goes towards HR, IT, operations, and all of the other overhead costs. Not only is the pay low for some of the work you do depending on your area. The paid time off is atrocious I don't by any means expect to have a lot of time off but you accrue 8.68 hours per month and that includes sick time, vacation time, personal time, holidays etc. You are forced to take PTO for your clients holidays (unless there is another site open on that holiday you can potentially work there but it's not a guarantee). So if your client has 10 holidays and you can only accrue approx 14-15 days per year your actual vacation time is 4-5 days per year. My biggest pet peeve is that a service specialist in Manhattan NY is only paid $10 an hour and you need to wear a tie with presentable dress clothes which costs decent money unless you want to look like a slob. The pay doesn't add up to what your required to wear let alone do. The cost of living in Manhattan is insane you can't take a taxi for more than 5 minutes without it costing you $15 dollars, if you have to go over a bridge to get to work forget about it. Currently the George Washington Bridge is $13 about to go up, the Brooklyn Bridge is $16 to cross, the Tappanzee which is a little ways from the city is $15. McDonald's employees in NYC make almost ten dollars an hour with very low expectations (there are reports its minimum wage but I know someone who had no experience making $9.50 not in a supervisor role. Meanwhile IST has low wages with high expectations. IST is also in the software business and most of them are good people and they have good software . But don't try to critique their software they get very offended and treat you differently afterwards. I recently completed their site manager course which consisted of ten essays based off of videos you watch and it's not an outrageous thing to ask, but you don't get compensated for doing it on your own time because I don't believe in doing work for IST during the clients billable hours. For my efforts I received this plaque that I thought a 9 year old put together for completion. I expected better than that saying how their specialty is in that area. The punches were all over the place to hold the certificate down, the plaque was cheaply made and came from china. It was just a mess. I'm still trying to figure out how corporate can have high expectations of you and send you that junk. I also caught someone committing fraud with their employee motivator "Blackman Bucks Auction" who in my opinion stole over $2000 over the course of two auctions. Never got a thank you from corporate or good catch. There's another auction this weekend and he would probably would have stolen another $1000. Luckily they have their best Operations Manager in my area who is never on the reports, never misses approving employee payroll hours like some of their other operations managers who seem to not have to take accountability for their continued negligence on being on these reports that get dished out on a daily basis and its the same names over and over again.

I only want IST to succeed and be the #1 outsourcing company there is. However I think you need to increase the wage and get more competent people in place so you don't have to underbid everyone. Instead of your sales team relentlessly trying to get contracts to meet quotas. It would be nice to see company's calling us for our services via word of mouth. I know Mr. Blackman is a smart man and he would like that too and the logistics are harder than what I just stated. However if there is a will there is a way. Also by giving the higher wages you would you would limit your high turnover rate which would limit HR's on-boarding process. I may not have a career with IST forever or maybe I will. However I know that IST can do better than what they are doing. Another piece of advice if you could expand your IT department with software developers and have them go into sites for a couple months at a time to tailor to the clients software needs. I think IST would revolutionize the software side of business if they were to do that because they would always be developing new software that could be used at other accounts and it would be nothing but income until the end of time. Please excuse me if I have some grammatical errors I typed this out on my phone to submit.

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

Hi. My name is J.R. Lafont and I am the Director of Human Resources for IST Management Services. I would love to discuss some of the suggestions you have made. Please contact me at ... More

Salary dont match with Salary stated on glassdoor, 4th year employee and no genuine appreciation.

Current Employee - Site Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IST Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting new people, traveling, learn more processes, office culture

Cons

benefits, pay, compensation, I think the company should evaluate the employees performances better and know who add genuine values and who doesn't.

Pay attention more to the employees that make IST flourish and offer more incentives, better raises, more appreciation. I have been a loyal employee for IST for over 4 years going on now almost 5 and I dont feel appreciated, especially with raises and compensation. I would like to have a fair salary and feel more appreciated, I go above and beyond daily and never had a complaint since ive been employeed with IST.

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

Hi. This is J.R. Lafont, Director of Human Services with IST Management Services. Please call me at 404-582-8832 or email me at jlafont@istmanagement.com at your convenience. I would love to ... More

It lacks.

Current Employee - Star in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Star in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IST Management

Pros

A job is a job. You meet people.

Cons

The other outsourcing companies pay their Floaters more. Floaters have to do more work with being at different sites.

Stop interviewing and bringing people in who've applied for regular full time positions and only offering them the "part-time floater" position; that's because you are cheap and want to pay them less when they do the same or more work. This company should be bought out like Oce and Ikon so they can get some help - their regular full time employees aren't even offered medical insurance! They underbid and I believe that's the only reason they have the business they do.

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

This is J.R. Lafont, Director of Human Resources at IST Management Services. I would love to discuss the issues you have raised. Please call me at 404-582-8832 or email me at ... More

Absolutely Sickening!! Just Stop The Lies Please!!

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IST Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Please Eliminate This Section: IST Please Understand that GOD is Real and what so ever a Man soweth That shall his Reap!! You cannot Slave People It's 2014 Not 1864.

Cons

Constantly Cutting Folks Salary! NO HR In NY! Salary is sad! Benefits? Your better off bringing alcohol and band aids because the Benefits will Make You Sick, Not Get You Healed. Pay the Managers Mangers Pay. It's not our fault that You under bid the competition. Pay us the Going Rate! Stop taking Sites Just too take Sites, get something that is Profitable for Your employees.

Please stop thinking that You are fooling us because just because You pay us 2 dollars an hour doesn't mean that we are dumb. Hal STOP sending out cards about how much You and Your Family made and then give us a 3 cent raise. Again Check what Year that we are in! Don't Make us call Al Sharpton because that's what next!!

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

Hello. I'm J.R. Lafont, the Director of Human Resources for IST Management Services. I'm very concerned about the comments you have made and would like to discuss them with you. Please call me at ... More

IST is the worst company I have ever worked for in forty years and that is saying a lot!

Current Employee - Site Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at IST Management full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pros with this company. They take advantage of good hard working people!!! I have seen them lose some excellent workers for not paying them a decent wage. Shame on you!!!

Cons

There are enough cons to fill a book. Low pay, terrible benefits, no support from upper management. They expect you to be happy for the higher ups when they get a new site but the workers that make the company get nothing. On my eight year anniversary I got a five dollar gift card.

Wise up!! You are on the course to going bankrupt!! How dare you treat people like lowly animals that you throw an occasional scrap to!! Quit lying to people and have some ethics!!!!

My client and manager experiences have been great but....THE PTO/PAY SUCKS!

I have been working at IST Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No weekend work. Some small incentives. Good Training. I have a great OPS manager.

Cons

The pay is low and PTO policy is used for HOLIDAYS, vacation AND sick time. TERRIBLE!

Maybe you all could keep employees and have less revolving STARS if we felt like you cared about us and our families. Small incentives are nice but after the honeymoon phase wears off, it is glaringly apparent that you don't care. If we have to use PTO for holidays, and there are more holidays in a year than hrs of PTO given.....how is that fair? Having a family makes it even harder to live on the wages provided. The commendation emails are great but emails only go so far....Blackman bucks auctions are cool but I think most people would rather see more on their paychecks..... GIVE BETTER BENEFITS!!!

Sep 9, 2014VP Administration

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your input and share your concerns. I would like to be able to send you a copy of our PTO training presentation so that you can better understand how ... More

Dead End

Current Employee - Service Specialist in Frazer, PA
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in Frazer, PA

I have been working at IST Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible time, Goog site manager, easy work.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about there emploee's as far as money. No real way to climb the ladder if your a good worker. Low pay for lower position.

Don't allow an Opperations manager to absorb a regional manager job and then expect him be able to so both. Pay emploee's based on there actual job not the title you tack on top it. I am a hazardous material handeler for shipping but my title is service specialist which gets payed crap.

Aug 7, 2014VP Administration

I appreciate your taking the time to provide your input. If you would like to discuss your concerns with a member of HR, please contact me. I would like to help ensure a positive work environment ... More

Not a good company for career advancement.

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IST Management part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn different skills.

Cons

No room for advancement, if a company decides they like your work and wants to hire you IST will deny them and you that opportunity. IST DOES NOT SUPPORT THEIR EMPLOYEES ADVANCEMENT.

More professionalism, consistency and less gossip and nepotism.

Sep 23, 2014VP Administration

I am interested in learning more about your situation. It is always IST's goal to promote from within whenever possible. I would like to address any potential issues that we may have for employees ... More

They talk a good game during interviewing, but have no real ethics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at IST Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No 401k matching, expensive medical benefits, holidays deducted from the already measly PTO allowance, sub-industry wages. If those are Pros then sure I'll list them here.

Cons

They have no HR field support. The client is always right even if for example the client contact who you'd report to everyday behaves erratic, unprofessionally and unethically and its well documented even by your Ops Mgr. IST's solution is to always replace the employee(s) calling the situation not a good fit, and try again. Even by Miami standards the client site is toxic.

Sometimes the client is nuts, accept that no accommodations will resolve the relationship long term. But continuing to hire only to have to fire people at a client site under the not a good fit excuse is a waste of everyone's time. Be proactive not reactive.

Aug 7, 2014VP Administration

I appreciate your taking the time to provide your input. If you had an experience as a former IST employee that you feel HR should be made aware of, please contact me. I would like to help ensure ... More