ITT Educational Services

2.4

ITT Educational Services Chairman and CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Looking for direction

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Satisfying, great work benefits, nice to work

Cons

Challenging marketplace, company looking for growth opportunity

Worst career decision of my life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy my coworkers. You get a free lunch 3 days a week.

Cons

The entire corporate culture is toxic. Recently the company changed the insurance policy. If your spouse is eligible for health insurance through their employer, ITT will NOT cover them (even if you pay for it) and will fine you if you lie about it. Executives use the front door; everyone else is required to use the servants entrance (the employee nickname for the side door). Corporate priorities change daily. There is no strategic leadership.

Kevin Modany does quarterly updates where he completely disregards the plummeting stock, litany of lawsuits, and lowered student enrollment. Instead rose-colored glasses list of people who have stuck around for 5+ years. The stock continues to plummet, Kevin Modany is pulling in $8.7M according to Forbes, and the board of directors is doing nothing about it.

I am still in the hiring process

Current Employee - Admission Representative  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Admission Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time

Pros

It seems that the best reason to work there would be for the benefits

Cons

Calling perspective students might be challenging

None at this time

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work life balance but little room for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Far fewer hours than is typical in my field allows for a good work life balance. Responsibilities are clear and I'm allowed to work independently as long as work is accurate and on time. Benefits are above average. Pay is consistent with responsibilities not necessarily experience.

Cons

Management tends to micromanage. It is difficult to advance because there are few opportunities to take on new challenges.

Work schedules are not flexible. A new flexible work schedule was implemented but was so tightly controlled that it did little to add flexibility.

There is a clear divide between long term employees and newly hired employees. The "Things have always been done this way" attitude makes enacting positive change difficult. New employees are often talked down to and criticized despite being more qualified than some of the more tenured employees. Many policies favor the more tenured employee and perpetuate this attitude and encourage people to leave around the 3 year mark.

There is also a clear divide between the schools and HQ staff. Many school employees operate in an us against them mentality and push back on following policies even if the policies is intended to comply with external regulations. These staff members are operating on a process mentality and lack the understanding of the reasons behind the policies.

Communication with employees at all levels would go a long way. The focus on compliance is important but unless the reasoning behind policies is clear employees will fill in their own reasons.

Um, "interesting place to work"

Former Employee - Education Secretary
    Former Employee - Education Secretary

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I found most of the people to be fairly nice, easy to get along with. Marketing manager was the hail-fellow-well-met type who INSISTED that I drop everything to test a prospective student right NOW.

Cons

See above about the marketing manager for the particular campus I used to work at. I understand that he was promoted after I left. I rarely got a full lunch break because the head admin asst just "happened" to take HER lunch when it was her time to test students.

Please. Listen to ALL of your employees, and not just the management "team". Insist that EVERYONE help to test prospective students. Allow dept secretaries to develop their own method of getting everything done; it really works nicely.

Muddled Corporate Leadership, Okay Co-Workers

Current Employee - Registrar
    Current Employee - Registrar

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Every campus is different, but in my experience, there are people at each campus who care and are willing to do their best to help students. Those are the people I stuck around for. We have had a lot of success stories. You really can help people to make a difference in their lives here.

Cons

Corporate HQ is constantly cutting down. 'Cost-saving practices' are getting introduced all the time. These are often to the detriment of the students and employees. Mandatory online classes are becoming common. In a school with advertises 'hand-on experience' many people are disappointed with what ITT is becoming. Benefits are okay at best.

ITT is a school which should strive to provides a quality education that provides hands-on job training. However, it is quickly becoming a clone of all the other for-profit colleges in the country. Online classes are fine for those who want them, but forcing students who prefer in-house training to take them is a waste of their time and money. Considering the tuition fees, I do not feel that the students are getting the education they are paying for with these new policies.

Over worked. Under paid. Under appreciated.

Former Employee - Docs  in  Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Docs in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

interactions with students. Helping them toward their goals.

Cons

Poor work schedules. Unrealistic goals. Lack of resources. For a technical school, not very technical.

SELL! Modany has no clue. 4 million dollar bonuses on a high salary while underpaying and firing good people.

Oppressive Work Environment

Former Employee - Headquarters Salaried Position  in  Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Headquarters Salaried Position in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Starting pay is at or above market

Cons

At headquarters all is ruled by the CEO. He has to provide approval for everything, including salary offers for every position, even temporary employees or if an employee wants to switch desks within a department. Really? As a result it takes forever to get anything approved. The environment is toxic and there is high turnover. Due to the Dept. of Education mandating that employees who bring in new students cannot receive incentives, and the wording of the regulation stating something about employees directly or indirectly related to bringing in new students, management decided that ALL employees in some way indirectly influence students. As a result, no employees, from executives all the way down to mail room clerks receive any annual increases or bonuses except for an annual cost of living. Even promotions are limited to once a year and provided in conjunction with the annual cost of living increase. There is no real incentive to do a good job and perform above average as it has no bearing at all on annual increases.

The CEO needs to trust his employees and relinquish control and delegate. Consider work-life balance and implement any of the following: Job share, part-time employment, telecommuting, staggered work schedule, etc. Do not treat salaried employees as if they are hourly and force them to work 8:00 to 5:00, even when working 3-4 hours the evening before or when work travel gets you back home at midnight.

Bottom line focused - shaky future

I worked at ITT Educational Services

Pros

Decent starting salary and benefits - some very nice people

Cons

Very hierarchical, good ol' boys, old school management approach

Don't get addicted to the money - life is too short

tiring

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

poor salary for the amount of work ask for

focus more on students

Worked for ITT Educational Services? Contribute to the Community!