ITT Educational Services

Add Photos

ITT Educational Services Chairman and CEO Kevin M. Modany

Kevin M. Modany

Looking for direction

ProsSatisfying, great work benefits, nice to work

ConsChallenging marketplace, company looking for growth opportunity

I am still in the hiring process

Admission Representative (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsIt seems that the best reason to work there would be for the benefits

ConsCalling perspective students might be challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good work life balance but little room for advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsFar fewer hours than is typical in my field allows for a good work life balance. Responsibilities are clear and I'm allowed to work independently as long as work is accurate and on time. Benefits are above average. Pay is consistent with responsibilities not necessarily experience.

ConsManagement tends to micromanage. It is difficult to advance because there are few opportunities to take on new challenges.

Work schedules are not flexible. A new flexible work schedule was implemented but was so tightly controlled that it did little to add flexibility.

There is a clear divide between long term employees and newly hired employees. The "Things have always been done this way" attitude makes enacting positive change difficult. New employees are often talked down to and criticized despite being more qualified than some of the more tenured employees. Many policies favor the more tenured employee and perpetuate this attitude and encourage people to leave around the 3 year mark.

There is also a clear divide between the schools and HQ staff. Many school employees operate in an us against them mentality and push back on following policies even if the policies is intended to comply with external regulations. These staff members are operating on a process mentality and lack the understanding of the reasons behind the policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication with employees at all levels would go a long way. The focus on compliance is important but unless the reasoning behind policies is clear employees will fill in their own reasons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Um, "interesting place to work"

Education Secretary (Former Employee)

ProsI found most of the people to be fairly nice, easy to get along with. Marketing manager was the hail-fellow-well-met type who INSISTED that I drop everything to test a prospective student right NOW.

ConsSee above about the marketing manager for the particular campus I used to work at. I understand that he was promoted after I left. I rarely got a full lunch break because the head admin asst just "happened" to take HER lunch when it was her time to test students.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease. Listen to ALL of your employees, and not just the management "team". Insist that EVERYONE help to test prospective students. Allow dept secretaries to develop their own method of getting everything done; it really works nicely.

Muddled Corporate Leadership, Okay Co-Workers

Registrar (Current Employee)

ProsEvery campus is different, but in my experience, there are people at each campus who care and are willing to do their best to help students. Those are the people I stuck around for. We have had a lot of success stories. You really can help people to make a difference in their lives here.

ConsCorporate HQ is constantly cutting down. 'Cost-saving practices' are getting introduced all the time. These are often to the detriment of the students and employees. Mandatory online classes are becoming common. In a school with advertises 'hand-on experience' many people are disappointed with what ITT is becoming. Benefits are okay at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementITT is a school which should strive to provides a quality education that provides hands-on job training. However, it is quickly becoming a clone of all the other for-profit colleges in the country. Online classes are fine for those who want them, but forcing students who prefer in-house training to take them is a waste of their time and money. Considering the tuition fees, I do not feel that the students are getting the education they are paying for with these new policies.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Over worked. Under paid. Under appreciated.

Docs (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

Prosinteractions with students. Helping them toward their goals.

ConsPoor work schedules. Unrealistic goals. Lack of resources. For a technical school, not very technical.

Advice to Senior ManagementSELL! Modany has no clue. 4 million dollar bonuses on a high salary while underpaying and firing good people.

Oppressive Work Environment

Headquarters Salaried Position (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsStarting pay is at or above market

ConsAt headquarters all is ruled by the CEO. He has to provide approval for everything, including salary offers for every position, even temporary employees or if an employee wants to switch desks within a department. Really? As a result it takes forever to get anything approved. The environment is toxic and there is high turnover. Due to the Dept. of Education mandating that employees who bring in new students cannot receive incentives, and the wording of the regulation stating something about employees directly or indirectly related to bringing in new students, management decided that ALL employees in some way indirectly influence students. As a result, no employees, from executives all the way down to mail room clerks receive any annual increases or bonuses except for an annual cost of living. Even promotions are limited to once a year and provided in conjunction with the annual cost of living increase. There is no real incentive to do a good job and perform above average as it has no bearing at all on annual increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO needs to trust his employees and relinquish control and delegate. Consider work-life balance and implement any of the following: Job share, part-time employment, telecommuting, staggered work schedule, etc. Do not treat salaried employees as if they are hourly and force them to work 8:00 to 5:00, even when working 3-4 hours the evening before or when work travel gets you back home at midnight.

Bottom line focused - shaky future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent starting salary and benefits - some very nice people

ConsVery hierarchical, good ol' boys, old school management approach

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get addicted to the money - life is too short

tiring

ProsGood company to work for

Conspoor salary for the amount of work ask for

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on students

Should have quit the day I started

Executive Administrative (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsSome nice people and a nice lunch room

ConsMicromanaged from the top down

Advice to Senior Managementno, no, no, no, no

Worked for ITT Educational Services? Contribute to the Community!