ITT Educational Services

ITT Educational Services Chairman and CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

HQ Employee

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facility, plenty of free parking, free lunch three times per week. Outstanding mission.

Cons

Industry in flux, transition time for company.

Just stay focused on the mission.

Great Resume Builder

Former Employee - Director of Recruitment
    Former Employee - Director of Recruitment

I worked at ITT Educational Services

Pros

opportunity to advance
    personal growth
    introduction to management

Cons

Compensation
    Internal promotions/compensation
    Long hours
    High pressure
    Late nights for admissions reps

Get on a local level instead of staying at corporate so you know what challenges each location is facing.

Okay People and Company Hours are terrible

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company communication
    Friendly people
    teaching company policies
    They love promoting from within you just have to be willing to move to a new campus
    Lots of different campuses throughout US.

Cons

HOURS Hours Hours.. shifts start 9-6, 10-7 11-8 and 12-9 Talk about not having a life!
    Sales Sales Sales-Always trying to sell the school no matter what position
    jobs rely on the sales so always worried about lay offs
    Majority of students don't even start school they never show up so all that hard work you do for them is for nothing
    huge divided between different departments.
    Majority of promotions are only through corporate

Allow and 8-5 day so someone can have a normal life
    really show how much you appreciate your workers they are the ones selling the school
    keep the communication going any changes be sure to tell it.

Staff cutting has started

I have been working at ITT Educational Services

Pros

Location. Benefits and wages about average. Free lunches 3 times per week.

Cons

Staff reductions have started. Questionable future of company. Needs new top leadership ASAP, starting with CEO and CFO.

Board: Replace top leadership NOW, starting with CEO and CFO. Cannot afford to wait for CEO's upcoming departure. Need to announce that CFO is also leaving.

Worst career decision of my life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my coworkers. You get a free lunch 3 days a week.

Cons

The entire corporate culture is toxic. Recently the company changed the insurance policy. If your spouse is eligible for health insurance through their employer, ITT will NOT cover them (even if you pay for it) and will fine you if you lie about it. Executives use the front door; everyone else is required to use the servants entrance (the employee nickname for the side door). Corporate priorities change daily. There is no strategic leadership.

Kevin Modany does quarterly updates where he completely disregards the plummeting stock, litany of lawsuits, and lowered student enrollment. Instead rose-colored glasses list of people who have stuck around for 5+ years. The stock continues to plummet, Kevin Modany is pulling in $8.7M according to Forbes, and the board of directors is doing nothing about it.

Looking for direction

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Satisfying, great work benefits, nice to work

Cons

Challenging marketplace, company looking for growth opportunity

I am still in the hiring process

Current Employee - Admission Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Admission Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time

Pros

It seems that the best reason to work there would be for the benefits

Cons

Calling perspective students might be challenging

None at this time

Good work life balance but little room for advancement.

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Far fewer hours than is typical in my field allows for a good work life balance. Responsibilities are clear and I'm allowed to work independently as long as work is accurate and on time. Benefits are above average. Pay is consistent with responsibilities not necessarily experience.

Cons

Management tends to micromanage. It is difficult to advance because there are few opportunities to take on new challenges.

Work schedules are not flexible. A new flexible work schedule was implemented but was so tightly controlled that it did little to add flexibility.

There is a clear divide between long term employees and newly hired employees. The "Things have always been done this way" attitude makes enacting positive change difficult. New employees are often talked down to and criticized despite being more qualified than some of the more tenured employees. Many policies favor the more tenured employee and perpetuate this attitude and encourage people to leave around the 3 year mark.

There is also a clear divide between the schools and HQ staff. Many school employees operate in an us against them mentality and push back on following policies even if the policies is intended to comply with external regulations. These staff members are operating on a process mentality and lack the understanding of the reasons behind the policies.

Communication with employees at all levels would go a long way. The focus on compliance is important but unless the reasoning behind policies is clear employees will fill in their own reasons.

Um, "interesting place to work"

Former Employee - Education Secretary
    Former Employee - Education Secretary

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I found most of the people to be fairly nice, easy to get along with. Marketing manager was the hail-fellow-well-met type who INSISTED that I drop everything to test a prospective student right NOW.

Cons

See above about the marketing manager for the particular campus I used to work at. I understand that he was promoted after I left. I rarely got a full lunch break because the head admin asst just "happened" to take HER lunch when it was her time to test students.

Please. Listen to ALL of your employees, and not just the management "team". Insist that EVERYONE help to test prospective students. Allow dept secretaries to develop their own method of getting everything done; it really works nicely.

Muddled Corporate Leadership, Okay Co-Workers

Current Employee - Registrar
    Current Employee - Registrar

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every campus is different, but in my experience, there are people at each campus who care and are willing to do their best to help students. Those are the people I stuck around for. We have had a lot of success stories. You really can help people to make a difference in their lives here.

Cons

Corporate HQ is constantly cutting down. 'Cost-saving practices' are getting introduced all the time. These are often to the detriment of the students and employees. Mandatory online classes are becoming common. In a school with advertises 'hand-on experience' many people are disappointed with what ITT is becoming. Benefits are okay at best.

ITT is a school which should strive to provides a quality education that provides hands-on job training. However, it is quickly becoming a clone of all the other for-profit colleges in the country. Online classes are fine for those who want them, but forcing students who prefer in-house training to take them is a waste of their time and money. Considering the tuition fees, I do not feel that the students are getting the education they are paying for with these new policies.