ITT Educational Services

Updated July 31, 2014
2.4

ITT Educational Services Chairman and CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Should have quit the day I started

Former Employee - Executive Administrative in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people and a nice lunch room

Cons

Micromanaged from the top down

no, no, no, no, no

Disappointing at Best

I have been working at ITT Educational Services

Pros

My direct management is great. I would work for or with him anytime. He has helped shield the people working for us from a lot and does a good job a making sure his people know he cares about their career goals as well.

Cons

No pay incentives. You only get cost of living increase based on the government recommendations for raises. Everyone at HQ gets the same raise each year. No bonus below VP. So the only incentive you have is to not get fired. This really crushes moral and go get 'em attitudes.

Micro-management starts at the top. The CEO has his hands in every detail of the HQ department's everyday work. He constantly changes direction or interjects change late in the game and costs the company more than he saves by derailing efforts at the most expensive time. He also has unrealistic expectations of how long something should take to complete, so everyone cuts corners to meet his deadlines and we have a lot of sub-optimized crap being turned out. Then we again spend more time fixing things then we do working on new value add efforts.

Disappointed

Current Employee - HQ Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - HQ Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am part of a great team who works toward common goals. There are many people who understand their focus is to ensure the students obtain knowledge to improve their lives and community.

Cons

Turmoil, compensation, culture, reactive approach. Work under fire has come to be the norm vs providing employees the necessary tools and knowledge to be effective in their position.

Doesn't matter as management is limited in their ability to take action on their own.

Great place to start a teaching career.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at ITT Educational Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As an instructor: Course material is prepared for you. Management really wants students to succeed. They encourage students to attend class, learn, and pass. Management helps the adjuncts to not feel too overwhelmed - they help with paperwork and do everything they can behind the scenes so that instructors can instruct and not push paper.

Cons

Great place to start a teaching career - because adjuncts aren't paid much.
    Any minor problem, such as technical issues, a a real issue due to the 10-week quarter.

Offer a bit more flexibility to instructors. We are allowed to add 20%, and should be allowed to substitute up to 20% as well.

ok if you really need a job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

company activities (Indians game, Symphony, lunches brought in)

Cons

No raises, limited job growth potential, micromanaging from all levels; little flexibility or work/life balance

Cultivate your employees and treat them like professionals and you might stop losing everyone

Overpriced education, under-appreciated employees, no regard for lower level

Former Employee - Educational Recruiter in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Educational Recruiter in Tampa, FL

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Initially, you feel like you're helping people realize their dream of education.
    You meet a lot of interesting people and many talented co-workers, until they realize how much of a joke the place is.

Cons

1. Crazy work schedules. As a recruiter, you will have NO life. When I started, we had relatively normal hours. By the time I left, we were mandated to working 2 late nights, until 9PM, and every other Saturday. This is not the job for you if you want any sort of social life.
    2. Every decision sent down from upper management is something they seemed to have thought of on a whim. They break down systems that ARE working at certain colleges, in order to blanket all processes. I don't mean at a legal stand point, or anything that should matter greatly, I am speaking at a very low level, like the number of recruiters needed to work on a specific degree program. When these decisions are made, they are often retracted for awhile, then reinstated a few months later. Processes are constantly changing - ITT just can't get it right!
    3. No resources available. With the modern world breaching into technology, you'd think ITT TECH would grasp on to every venue possible. On the contrary, you are not allowed to utilize Linked In, Facebook, or any other social networking to generate and grow your business.
    4. Directors at a campus level seem to be brainwashed, overpaid puppets that do not consider the value of their employees or business decisions. During the course of my 3 years with ITT Tech, I saw 42 recruiters come and go, and many full-time teaching staff. In fact, "budget cuts" came and we let go 5 of the most tenured, loved educators at the campus, to hire on under-educated, low-qualified filler substitutes. Near the end, the environment seemed to get worse and worse, more and more depressing each day.
    5. Very low respect for the education of students. It was never about enrolling students who could afford to pay an overpriced tuition bill or were in school for the right reasons, it was always about enrolling at all costs and being okay with handicapping people with crippling debt for their lifetime.
    6. The process of "Tier" where you are rewarded for doing well the previous week by getting all the "good" leads. If you have a fair director, they will spread these leads out and give others a chance to succeed and create a team-oriented environment. If you have a director that plays favorites (I experienced both), there will be a handful of folks who will consistently stay on top and no matter how hard you try, you'll never be thrown a bone. Seriously, you could be on the phone day and night, constantly working as hard as you possibly can, and no one will recognize your efforts unless they produce. On the other hand, recruiters who will go for the "low-hanging fruit" that will enroll and begin school, then quit a week in because they realize their mistake are rewarded with consistent pats on the back.
    7. Sure, the advertising is constantly on your radar with their fancy commercials (often for programs they aren't even offering, by the way), but a good percent of students will pay 50 grand for an entry level position, and no one at the campus will blink an eye.
    8. The pay seems great to an entry-level professional. You get benefits, a 401K option, it all looks pretty great from the outside perspective. Are you rewarded for your hard-work and dedication to the company? No bonuses. No commission. Yearly raises of 50 cents, if you're lucky. The hardest working people are usually the ones getting duped while the corporate fat cats and campus directors are laughing it up while driving their convertibles and taking lavish vacations.
    9. The saddest part of my job was to meet some very talented professionals that had no idea how much better they could do and how much more successful they could be in other roles, at a company who appreciates their talent and skills. For one reason or another, ITT does rope in some very valuable people, but they don't seem to hold on to them for long, for very good reason. If you have any respect for your career, don't spend a minute of it with this company. It's great for entry-level, and I was lucky enough to have some really great mentors, but it's really not worth the headache to be a part of a dishonest and unorganized environment with no respect for the people that are instrumental in building their business.

Treat your employees as assets. Invest in them. Realize that although there is a stigma attached to employment in education, you CAN break it by appreciating your people and not treating them as disposable slaves. There are plenty of talented people I have seen come and go - with a bit of nurturing, appreciation and opportunity, you may be able to hold on to them - it would certainly be to your benefit.
    Before you make decisions, think about it at the very lowest level. Do a little research! It wouldn't hurt to have a panel of "field" employees nationwide that could help field some discussion over certain decisions - you may find it could end the constant flip-flopping back and forth with processes and procedures.

Poorly Managed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ok pay if not being promoted from within.

Cons

Inability to provide ideas for improvement without back-lash.

Think outside the box and allow for employee feedback. Look for ways to improve the process and understand what the root cause may be.

Waste of time

Former Employee - Student Services in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Student Services in Nashua, NH

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the students was good because it was a real college that ITT bought.

Cons

Holding professors and staff accountable to the point that they have to leave if they don't reach goals that are not realistic. How can a Dean or Director control how motivated a student is to job search and perform well on interviews? These are adults not 10 year olds that need their hands held.

Look at the metrics you are giving your staff. You can't compare a business major at a four year college to a quickie vocational school program.

Positive, except for the pay.

Current Employee - Nurse Educator At Breckinridge in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Nurse Educator At Breckinridge in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at ITT Educational Services

Pros

Offered a full time position.....but too little pay since it required 40 hours ON CAMPUS of time. Sad with a Masters Degree what they pay.......................seemed like very nice people, but with a MSN you could simply do SO much more.

Cons

Too little pay for the amount of hours.

Compensate for the degree.....or require less time per week on campus.

Glorified Telemarketer...or "Stalker".

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative

I have been working at ITT Educational Services

Pros

Good pay offered. They provide adequate training. They sincerely care about the students success. Most of the students are surprised at the difficulty of the courses.

Cons

ITT employs viral internet marketing in it's advertising campaign. This results in numerous bogus leads for the reps. to follow up on. There is an expectation to call a lead 3 times a day until contact is made. It made me feel like a "stalker'.

Quit using 'pop up" ads in your internet marketing. It only leads to bogus leads and a poor image with the public.