ITT Fluid Technology

Be The First To
Add Photos

ITT Fluid Technology President and CEO Gretchen W. McClain

Gretchen W. McClain

It was great to work at Xylem.

I worked at ITT Fluid Technology

ProsGreat pay, great coworkers, great working environment

ConsHR does not really do their jobs.

Wrong career decision

I worked at ITT Fluid Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsLarge company, possible career stability

ConsConstant leadership change, highly political, very disjointed.

Could be a great company to work for

I have been working at ITT Fluid Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocal low and mid level leadership is good

ConsHigher up local and corporate leadership lack luster

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend capital on proven projects

It used to be a friendly productive work environment that concentrated on customer satisfaction.

I have been working at ITT Fluid Technology full-time

ProsSome well made equipment, benefits are average for the industry. Older employees were well trained and have a lot of knowledge.

ConsThis place is structured like an upside down pyramid. There are more managers, senior managers and accountants than there are actual workers who produce income for the company. They decided to go lean. This entailed laying off productive workers who made money for the company only to allow the company to hire more managers and accountants. To many chiefs and not enough indians.. .

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the ratio of workers to managers. Companies should be structured like a pyramid. Not an upside down pyramid. Company is way to top heavy.

Everything was fine until the new facility manager and engineering supervisor came on board.

Product Engineer (Former Employee)
Zachary, LA

I worked at ITT Fluid Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood leadership in the corporate management levels but not in the individual service centers; Laid-back work environment (good if you like it, I don't)

ConsITT = It Takes Time; Slow response to everything even my exit interview; Not very motivating

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring those incompetent site managers or supervisors. If you really have to, then at least train them to make sure their goals and directions are in-line with the corporate management.

Just a cog in the machine

Dallas, TX

I worked at ITT Fluid Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting & challenging work in a fairly diversified corporation

ConsOrganization had low organic growth but instead leaned on the acquisition model. This made ITT top-heavy - too many well-compensated Directors, VPs, etc. - and demoralized the rank & file as RIFs trickled through the facility reconciliation process.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook employees in the eye & at least make an effort to learn their names.

Incompetent Recent Hires

I have been working at ITT Fluid Technology

ProsOverall it's gonna pay bills. Coworkers are generally very nice. They are the only reason the job has enjoyment. Many times discussions are, "what's happening to this place?".

ConsMorale is very poor. Lots of people have recently left at their own will. I would like to follow them out the door and am actively looking for a new position. Some the recent departures were people with important responsibilities and some had high potential as future leaders. Perhaps it will all turn around and this will once again be a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at some (not all) of your recent (past few years) management hires. Most can talk a good game and are filled with an entrepreneurial vocabulary. No substance and no track record of any completed tasks other than talking big. Lack of completed tasks are being noticed. Perhaps time should be spent understanding the business, knowing your direct reports, and simply understanding the products they own. Less time should be spent on needless travel. Too many promises, but no results from these recent hires. The customers see this lack of progress.

Good Place to work

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Fluid Technology

ProsGood Company, global presence, has a lot of challenging projects. The employees are talented and helpful. As an intern, I was exposed to different areas of the company, got an overall industry experience. Great place for work and learn.

Consall work,no extracurricular activities

Starting in 2011, ITT has gone down the tube due to senior management decisions

Senior Product Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at ITT Fluid Technology

ProsI like the middle managers and all the people I work with on a daily basis. A semi-flexible work schedule is alsos nice.

ConsLack of direction behalf of management. The current management team all come from sales backgrounds and don't care about tying out with the middle managers and only care about what they can do to improve their short term bonus before they move to their next job. Too many high-level managers and too few workers with extreme shortages. In recent proposals there is a proposed 80+ jobs for marketing and engineering, but they recently laid off 9 engineers and currently have a hiring freeze, current total numbers around 55 and I suspect 2 dozen people looking for new careers.

The expectations to be a world class company and the funding behind the employees are mismatched significantly. If management believed we are only in a "hold" mode as opposed to a "grow" mode, it would be believeable. However, releasing numerous engineers to make quarterly numbers is not a tactic for those who are forward thinking.

Work hours are ridiculous. Of my immediate counterparts, 75% are working 60+ (and many 70+) hour weeks and continue to fall behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet middle management make the decisions for the day-to-day operations and get feedback from middle management before making radical decisions in change of company direction. Product managers knowtheir sales and the sales forecast should be driven bottom-up, not top down.

Salesmen should not be the VP of anything except for sales.

Good, needs some updating

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Fluid Technology

ProsGreat people, well managed at the lower levels.

ConsOld building, relatively older employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some new resources.

Worked for ITT Fluid Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ITT Fluid Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ITT Fluid Technology CEO Gretchen W. McClain. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by ITT Fluid Technology employees.