ITT Systems

Updated December 13, 2014
3.6

ITT Systems President & CEO David F. Melcher
David F. Melcher

Pros
  • Good pay, plenty of Vaction time, flexability, and easy work (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits and have room for personal growth (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's contract work, and you're expendable, but when you're with them, you can do very well (in 3 reviews)

• Middle management does not care about employee, only what effects them (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Was able to gain some valuable experience within the DOD industry from a phenomenal leader.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My manager was a phenomenal leader and mentor who really taught me some invaluable lessons and instruction during my employment there. The employees both within the corporate office and in the field in Afghanistan, both U.S. Citizen and Foreign National, both the custodian cleaning the bathroom and the V.P. of Operations, all felt important and represented equally. She was a true leader.

The original LOGCAP HR / Mgmt team had some excellent leaders among them! They were respected for their high values and ethical standards. It was such a shame to see them split up by upper management.

Cons

Unfortunately when large contracts with large amounts of money come into play, a companies ethics start becoming challenged. Employees hired for overseas contracts were not always given the correct information or provided everything stated in the contract. Many things "over looked", or "forgotten", in sake of the employee working overseas. Unfortunately, it does seem to be the "name of the game" in this particular industry, however I was hoping this company would have been the one to set the standard and do the right thing for the employees that work in these danger zones.

Leadership is a combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without the strategy.
    — H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Army general

Large corporate structure, but everyone is an engineer and easy to relate to.

Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Monrovia, CA

I worked at ITT Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You got to work for NASA/JPL, and be a part of the team that guarantees transmissions to and from space. Everyone believes in the mission, and there are some die-hard JPL'ers embedded in the ITT staff. Reasonable hours (no more than 40 hrs/wk for interns), and a good balance of field work and office work. Everyone on staff seemed very friendly and approachable.

Cons

I was a college intern for a summer. The work got a bit tedious at times (at one point I was just cutting labels and putting them in binders), but that's part of the job I suppose.

Qualified Competent Professionals Need Not Apply to Afghanistan Positions

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

Able to support the Armed Forces in war zones; tax benefit for being an ex-pat during a calendar year; if you are in I.T. only work here for 1 or more of the following 3 reasons: if you are inexperienced in your field and want to gain entry-level experience, if you want to support the armed forces/are patriotic, are desperate for money. If you are established & experienced in your field stateside - stay there or you will carry 99% of the work load while the inexperienced employees surf the net all day & complain about everything else while management does absolutely nothing. Employees do not get fired except for drug, alcohol or sexual offenses. Incompetency will gain them transfers - and, yes (I swear) promotions to higher level positions! Qualified employees get burned out quickly - often resulting in them simply quitting to go back stateside or to a better paying employer - and ITT management does not care one iota bout losing qualified/hard working employers.

Cons

Poorly managed (and often, just a lack of management altogether), from the top down; hiring of extremely incompetent workers; heavy work load on the few competent workers that exist; pay significantly less than competing employers; Unsafe living conditions (I know its a war zone - but living in moldy safe houses prone to attack - and forbidden from being armed - is unsat)

Hire PROVEN leaders in the I.T. field. Promoting from within is fine on occasion - but should NOT be the sole method for hiring any/all management personnel (not just in I.T.). Leads should be hired AS leads, Senior personnel should be hired AS senior personnel, and managers should be hired AS managers. Tasking people with no skill or desire as a lead/senior/manager yields poor results. Additionally, hire qualified & competent workers and quit filling slots by selecting any warm body that can aquire a clearance. Ensure your personnel aware aware of ALL policies & procedures instead of sharing this knowledge AFTER the fact (sending out the occasional PIOP is unsat. Make them ALL available to ALL users. Also ensure personnel are using CURRENT forms/paperwork (ie, I submitted a Leave Request form - approved at all levels of my site - 5 months in advance - only to learn that ITT no longer is authorized for MILAIR flight to Europe - yet, the form clearly stated ITT Employees were authorized to fly to places such as Frankfurt or Ramstein, Germany. This resulted in a loss to myself of over $3,000 and cancelling of much needed R&R. Management simply did not care or offer to make ammends for their mistake.)
    I read these reivews prior to signing on with ITT, assuming many were from persons who had not deployed before, or simply held a personal grudge. I am a Navy vet who had been deployed while on active duty, and am a highly skilled professional with over 20 years of REAL experience in my field (not resume fluff/embellishment). I'm often recognized for both my work ethic & excellent customer service oriented activity by employers - and was recognized plenty while with ITT in Afghanistan. So there's no "personal" grudge here. This is all business. I have found that hard working qualified individuals are made to carry the weight of their whole team; rarely will you find more than 1 qualified individual in a shop. And there is no time or mechanism to provide adequate on the job training while still addressing the work that needs to be done (the "JCTL" system is a joke) The hiring screening process can easily prevent this from happening, but when management is not involved in anything but making sure their own civilian & military managers stay off their back - nothing changes. Putting out fires is the way of doing business at ITT in Afghanistan - and it doesn't need to be this way. Yes, it's a war zone - but, the infrastructure is setup in away to easily allow efficient, enterprise level management of the I.T. systems in country - but management has no clue what that means - so its non-existent. I should say I'm shocked that ITT continues to win their O&M contract - but we know how inefficient the government is too oten, don't we?

Unsatisfying

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

Retirement is an attractive benefit. Military environment, which suited me as a retiree myself. Company was local to where I live

Cons

In Business Development, when a proposal is hot, they work you like a dog - Saturday and Sunday every weekend for three or four months at a time. Then you might get a few weeks of 40 hours, then right back to 100 hours a week.

Leadership is poor. Promotions prospects are poor. Salary is poor.

Develop your people better. The training department needs a big changes. Provide career advancement opportunities. Until you do, good people will keep leaving.

It was a life time experience that we were a world class factory that build US amry raidio, hi tech, new equipment.

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

Good pay, good management, clean an safe.

Cons

Defence cut, or new technology that we don't have.

ITT systems division HQ is focused on running and growing DoD services-based programs

Current Employee - Business Development in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at ITT Systems

Pros

People and teamwork
    Interesting challenging work
    All hands meeting to keep employees informed

Cons

ITT Systems does not do a good job at strategizing for the future resulting in lots of effort to be placed on unplanned initiatives requiring putting out a lot of fires.
    There is a disconnect between senior managers and individuals that do the work
    Program management functions between program areas (business lines) is inconsistent
    Recognition for good work can be improved
    Senior managers are not professionally trained

Plan ahead, strategize, and prepare for the future
    Recognize employees for their contributions beyond the paper certificate and award ceremony
    Remove organizational layers to facilitate work and reduce overhead

ITT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at ITT Systems

Pros

It's a job, nothing more than that.

Cons

People not treated with respect from management.

Get new management.

Not the same

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

good benefits and tuition reimbursement

Cons

Management unethical, more about power and control than what is good for the customer and businses.

Rememeber who does the actual work

Could be a good company because of the people

Former Employee - Production in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Production in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Not able to get good contracts. Lay offs are always a concern

Nothing to add here

Great company, horrible location

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

If you get a chance to work for ITT, do it. They're fair for the most part and they tend to recruit some pretty good tallent. Kuwait on the other hand sucks. The hours are really rough and working on some of the bases is really tough. Contractors are not well respected by military counterparts, so that can be tough to deal with. Absolutely work for this company if you get a chance though. Just do it somewhere else.

Cons

They tend to promote the smartest geek into the positions of managment that they're just not comfortable with or good at. You will always know that the most technical person is leading the charge, but they often lack the soft management skills found in other disciplines. That's such a small gripe though.

You guys are a really pro contracting team and I definitely would work for you again. Work on promoting actual managers with that skillset and you'll have a killer combination.

ITT Systems Photos

look at how they put the becket on dumabasses

+ Add Photo