ITT Technical Institute

Updated July 21, 2014
2.3

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave (in 21 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Online Student Support Specialist

Former Employee - Online Student Support Specialist in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Online Student Support Specialist in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with and the ability to work four 10 hours days.

Cons

As an Online Student Support Specialist I was tied to my desk all day with scheduled lunch times and bathroom breaks due to being on the phones. I also felt the company did not provide our students with the proper technical information up front and I was expected to help with Technical issues even though I have no technical training or experience. There also was not a great work life balance as my schedule required I work one day on the weekend, it was very difficult to find someone to cover you if you needed a day off on the weekend.

After several years, it's time to go.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Courses are taught online- no wardrobe or transportation costs.

Cons

Faculty managers insist on not supporting the standards proclaimed by ITT Tech, and in fact, state in emails not to follow them. No opportunity for a raise or promotion.

Screen the faculty managers a little more carefully. I had good luck for years, but the most recent one under whom I worked seemed to have scattered thoughts, and came up with strange metrics. One evaluation, I was told I graded too rigorously, then next, I was too soft.

Online - Constant management turnover, instructors facing increasing workload

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Teaching online is convenient. Helping students help themselves is always a positive factor. Having a 401-K with matching from company is nice.

Cons

Department chairpersons are constantly being replaced. Having continuously increasing academic duties taking away from dealing with students is frustrating. Instructor morale is low. My salary today is lower than it was 9 years ago, but more work is expected. Online teaching system (equivalent to Blackboard) is buggy. Extremely difficult to determine what my paycheck will be prior to actually being paid.

More pay. Stop varying the pay based on number of students. Send out email indicating how much our pay will be, and itemize by course.

One of the worst companies I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Online Student Recruiter in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Online Student Recruiter in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pros I could think is the use of computers and internet on lunch and the TVs in the break room.

Cons

Training was a joke a three week crash course in how to read a script. QA has not took a call in five years so it is funny on how they review us. you always have to be "out of the red" aka push for more students to apply and attend. Management to busy buying shoes online and making personal calls verse working with the admissions reps.

Dont have the reps force students to go, give them quality students who will be successful in school. In addition, why dont the CEO come out of his Carmel office and visit the Online Center as well as the schools. HE seems to busy making up lies about the school.

Very Disappointing Experience

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As an adjunct online instructor, I came in contact with caring, dedicated instructors via the online collaboration portal. Some shared email addresses and phone numbers so we could support each other since there is such a lack of support otherwise. These were people that truly had an interest in students and begged higher management to listen to us. There were also some amazing students that produced excellent work, sent emails of thanks, and remained in contact for references, advice, and updates on their careers.

Cons

If you've read any of the other reviews, you'll see the same pattern. As an instructor, my biggest complaint was having students that (1) Couldn't read well, use English properly, follow instructions, or make common sense decisions (2) Plagiarize without penalty: I was forced to keep students in class that blatantly copied and pasted scholarly articles from Harvard Business school professors, blurbs from Wikipedia, and magazine articles. (3) Knew how to play the system: I had students that emailed me one or two word messages. When I asked what they were doing, they responded: "I will get kicked out if I don't contact you once every 3 weeks." I was reprimanded for informing a student that they would not pass if that was the only contact I had with them.

Students were often vastly unprepared for college level work. I taught two classes that required APA style writing. The tutor they had to assist these students sent out a "help sheet" for formatting, citing, etc. and it was almost completely incorrect. I graded with rigor and took points off for failure to follow APA style. Students complained but I stood my ground. As a result, I was told my "student engagement" was below standard. No, my student engagement was amazing - I counseled and advised and tried to work with struggling students seven days a week - but students have a responsibility, too. "You should try to give them a break now and then," I was told. This is translated as "pass them at all costs." No. I won't do that.

I have had students try to bully me. When I reported this, I was told "They're not even in the same part of the country as you. Why worry?" What? I was also told to tolerate students that were harassing each other. I was told it was the student's responsibility to report issues if they felt harassed, not mine.

To maintain national accreditation (not regional), instructors have to complete an information sheet and list a professional membership, subscription, etc. and review a scholarly article. Then, despite the fact that you complete this, you're asked to either (A) Change it, (B) Threatened with not being rehired if it isn't in in two days, (C) Told to resubmit it even if you have done so three times, "Just to ensure it is received." And it has to be a membership that is relevant to the course you teach. Well, general education instructors best be prepared to belong to a wide variety of organizations, because one may not apply to the course you have been randomly assigned. There is a better way, ITT. And you make the forms so incredibly complex that one has to ask what you expect, only to be met with further threats that it needs to be done immediately or "you will be dropped from teaching." I was told to change information on the form four separate times even though the info on the form was correct! I finally refused to make further changes and for now they have shut up about it.

Support from faculty managers varies. Some are highly supportive and others give you lip service only. Most of the time you are told to solve your own problems. When you do, you're questioned about the actions taken or your decision is overruled. One student complaint about how mommy will call the newspaper and suddenly illiterate Johnny gets an A when he should have failed.

Read the other reviews for further cons. Most of them are completely accurate. One more thing: the pay for adjuncts is below industry average and even though you do your job well, there is NO guarantee of continued employment. If you grade as you should, meaning not everyone passes, your chances of getting rehired drop considerably.

Enroll students that are literate, college-ready, and have a clear understanding that not everyone gets a trophy just for playing.
    Support your faculty. Students lie. When instructors have proof of plagiarism, remove the student or put them on probation. When instructors receive bullying emails or calls, remove the student - immediately. No second chances for those people.
    Upgrade the learning system so that instructors can track when their emails are read or announcements are reviewed. Most students apparently do NOT read them and then instructors are blamed for it.
    Understand that some students are going to fail. It's not the fault of the instructor!
    Stop making promises that you don't keep.
    Reduce tuition to a realistic amount. You're just adding to defaulted loan debt when you charge so much for a degree that doesn't command huge salaries.
    Get regionally accredited! Of course, you'll have to hire instructors that know how to teach. And those ethical oversights? You'll have to stop overlooking them. But think what a success ITT might be then!

A serious culture problem

Former Employee - Developer in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Developer in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job. If you are just starting out, you can get some experience.

Cons

No process or discernible methodology for software development. Code to fix. Their environments were a mess and getting something deployed to production was sometimes impossible. The company talks about their culture and how great it is, but it really is just talk. Turnover rate was high.

The managers directly above me and over my department were great people and tried to treat their people well. Their hands were tied by the managers above them and any positive change they could make was really limited.

High-Pressure Sales for Recruiting

Current Employee - Online Student Recruiter in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Online Student Recruiter in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good co-workers
    -Immediate supervisor is encouraging and supportive
    -Helping motivated students to attend school

Cons

-Evaluations every three weeks to make sure you hit your target numbers - constant pressure
    -Unrealistic numbers to hit yearly - this year almost 100% of the recruiters for the online division were rated as unsatisfactory on their reviews
    -Pressure to enroll students who really aren't capable of doing the work - as long as they have a high school diploma or GED, they're admitted - campuses require an admission test, but if students fail they're referred to the online division which doesn't require testing
    -Recruiting job is billed as assisting potential students who have requested information about the school - reality is that you mainly call people who filled out a required form on job application websites and who aren't really interested in attending school
    -If a student fills out an application but then stops taking calls from ITT, recruiters are required to keep calling these students daily for a month

-Since over half of the enrolled students don't even start the second quarter, it's hard to follow-up with your students to see how school is going for them - having higher standards and not pushing as many students through so as to have the students be able to finish their programs will earn more money in the long run than simply getting students to attending for a few weeks before dropping out
    -Change the yearly standards to be realistic as to how many students each recruiter is required to have start class
    -Get raises out on time - we were supposed to have them at the beginning of the summer and are still waiting (as of August 2013)
    -Find other areas to cut rather than services that our students need (job placement help, technical assistance, tutoring, etc.)

No one listens

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say; Online Division in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say; Online Division in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My boss is great--best manager ever

Cons

Generally, employees talk about leaving as "getting out" as if you are in prison; this very negative attitude occurs with most every long-term employee and is likely based on the lack of "listening" from upper management. Please see suggestions.

Please spend money on feedback mechanisms for staff and faculty to actually implement/credit employees for their suggestions. Implement funds for minor programs toward employee satisfaction (on-site gym or cafe, couches or carpet in the break room, HEAT in the building)--no cop-outs for the single meal per year, opportunities for more to work from home. If money is invested in staff, overall training costs for employee turnover will decrease to a balancing point. Employees feel trapped in positions--there is little internal hiring for promotions. They are ill-rewarded for their hard work/salaried overtime, with more expected of less staff all of the time. There is no advance preparation to increase staffing when the company desires more students, they simply hire more admissions representatives without worrying about increasing the capability to maintain the status of current students. Please take these suggestions to heart, as I have thought them through thoroughly and would like to improve this workplace.

Poster Child for For-Profit Education Regulation

Former Employee - Headquarters Employee in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Headquarters Employee in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers - nice office environment and location

Cons

Totally profit driven - any concern for employees is founded in understanding the minimum need. Any concern for students and society driven by PR and regulatory. The organization provides all the rationale needed to control and regulate the industry - terrible.

Do the right thing and move on (before your stakeholders force you to)

Dissapointing

Current Employee - Loan Resolution Coordinator in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Loan Resolution Coordinator in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

The only thing that I could think of is the pay it is kind of okay for what you do. Also if you want to go to school at ITT you pay a pretty low price.

Cons

No room for advancement, management does not see to include you in any new things. You cannot receive incentive. It takes a fair amount of time to get anything done. The "job" is not what I was told it would be from the beginning. Overall the position is a bit annoying and it is just not a career its simply just a job.

Listen to your employees and take them into consideration. Interact with employees instead of treating them like they are robots and care about their feedback.

ITT Technical Institute Photos