ITT Technical Institute

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A serious culture problem

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a job. If you are just starting out, you can get some experience.

ConsNo process or discernible methodology for software development. Code to fix. Their environments were a mess and getting something deployed to production was sometimes impossible. The company talks about their culture and how great it is, but it really is just talk. Turnover rate was high.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers directly above me and over my department were great people and tried to treat their people well. Their hands were tied by the managers above them and any positive change they could make was really limited.

High-Pressure Sales for Recruiting

Online Student Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros-Good co-workers
-Immediate supervisor is encouraging and supportive
-Helping motivated students to attend school

Cons-Evaluations every three weeks to make sure you hit your target numbers - constant pressure
-Unrealistic numbers to hit yearly - this year almost 100% of the recruiters for the online division were rated as unsatisfactory on their reviews
-Pressure to enroll students who really aren't capable of doing the work - as long as they have a high school diploma or GED, they're admitted - campuses require an admission test, but if students fail they're referred to the online division which doesn't require testing
-Recruiting job is billed as assisting potential students who have requested information about the school - reality is that you mainly call people who filled out a required form on job application websites and who aren't really interested in attending school
-If a student fills out an application but then stops taking calls from ITT, recruiters are required to keep calling these students daily for a month

Advice to Senior Management-Since over half of the enrolled students don't even start the second quarter, it's hard to follow-up with your students to see how school is going for them - having higher standards and not pushing as many students through so as to have the students be able to finish their programs will earn more money in the long run than simply getting students to attending for a few weeks before dropping out
-Change the yearly standards to be realistic as to how many students each recruiter is required to have start class
-Get raises out on time - we were supposed to have them at the beginning of the summer and are still waiting (as of August 2013)
-Find other areas to cut rather than services that our students need (job placement help, technical assistance, tutoring, etc.)

No one listens

Prefer Not to Say; Online Division (Current Employee)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy boss is great--best manager ever

ConsGenerally, employees talk about leaving as "getting out" as if you are in prison; this very negative attitude occurs with most every long-term employee and is likely based on the lack of "listening" from upper management. Please see suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease spend money on feedback mechanisms for staff and faculty to actually implement/credit employees for their suggestions. Implement funds for minor programs toward employee satisfaction (on-site gym or cafe, couches or carpet in the break room, HEAT in the building)--no cop-outs for the single meal per year, opportunities for more to work from home. If money is invested in staff, overall training costs for employee turnover will decrease to a balancing point. Employees feel trapped in positions--there is little internal hiring for promotions. They are ill-rewarded for their hard work/salaried overtime, with more expected of less staff all of the time. There is no advance preparation to increase staffing when the company desires more students, they simply hire more admissions representatives without worrying about increasing the capability to maintain the status of current students. Please take these suggestions to heart, as I have thought them through thoroughly and would like to improve this workplace.

Poster Child for For-Profit Education Regulation

Headquarters Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers - nice office environment and location

ConsTotally profit driven - any concern for employees is founded in understanding the minimum need. Any concern for students and society driven by PR and regulatory. The organization provides all the rationale needed to control and regulate the industry - terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing and move on (before your stakeholders force you to)

Dissapointing

Loan Resolution Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

ProsThe only thing that I could think of is the pay it is kind of okay for what you do. Also if you want to go to school at ITT you pay a pretty low price.

ConsNo room for advancement, management does not see to include you in any new things. You cannot receive incentive. It takes a fair amount of time to get anything done. The "job" is not what I was told it would be from the beginning. Overall the position is a bit annoying and it is just not a career its simply just a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and take them into consideration. Interact with employees instead of treating them like they are robots and care about their feedback.

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ITT Technical Institute reviews and ratings in Carmel, IN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ITT Technical Institute CEO Kevin M. Modany. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by ITT Technical Institute employees.