ITT Technical Institute

ITT Technical Institute Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany

Kevin M. Modany

Pros:
  • "Pay was decent for no experience and no degree"
    in 13 reviews
  • "We actually CARE about education and helping students to be successful"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave"
    in 13 reviews
  • "There has been a shift of workload from full time instructors to chairs while the chair duties were unchanged"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to learn to teach, but education is not the principle driver here.

Chair, School of Drafting and Design (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsSatisfactory salary but normally workload drags at this pro. The academics teams I worked with were very focused on helping students succeed and provided a very satisfying experience when those students graduated and were employed. There is a strong professional development e-learning program which will help you grow along with the help of other committed instructors.

ConsMy largest concern was towards the end I was unable to hire the team members I wanted if they did not "score" correctly on the employment test. Had I taken this new test, I doubt I would have ever been hired. There has been a shift of workload from full time instructors to chairs while the chair duties were unchanged. We had built a strong team of instructors prior to these changes and when we needed to recruit more, I faced a brick wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm unsure of the reasons for the 2012 changes, but full time instructors are critical to the successful development of adjuncts. Expecting chairs and deans to accomplish all you have tasked them with is unrealistic. I have seen the positive and negative affects the ITT experience can have on students, but if you truly focus on delivering on the very expensive product the students are paying for...then the business works. I strongly recommend the corporate team spend more time in classrooms and talking with students, both current and alumni.
    The Recruiting test is to restrictive, adjunct instructors can't be "too qualified" as I was repetitively told. Adjuncts are looking to help students and share their wealth of knowledge, not to advance career satisfaction. Give some leverage to your burdened deans and chairs to use their good judgement.

Part time IT Support

IT Support (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time for less than a year

ProsIts a paycheck
Close to classes, which is great when you have to run between classes

ConsLow hourly pay, scheduled hours that may not let you focus on classwork

Advice to Senior ManagementI know its academic here, but some respect to student employees wouldn't be too much to ask

Admissions Rep

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time

ProsGood group of people to work with

ConsPay and benefits are lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your out dated recruiting model. Making phone calls is only one aspect of recruiting.

Admissions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

ProsWorking with students to get them to recognize their potential

Consupper management is disconnected with what actually goes and there is practically no training

Advice to Senior Managementretire

What a teaching disappointment. Worst Experience Ever!

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee)
Mobile, AL

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time for less than a year

ProsI honestly can't say anything positive about my teaching experience at ITT, except that the corporate leadership showed interest in sending a positive message and encouraging the staff. Oh yeah, and the free food at the Quarterly Review Meeting and End of The Year Party, which included Open Bar, was not bad.

ConsWhere do I Start? Again, Corporate sent out the right message, but the local (Mobile, AL) ITT fell short. First things first: Job Interview - There was basically none. At the interview, the department's chairman just went over some of the typical day-to-day instructor's responsibilities. There was really not a good review of the candidate qualifications to ensure he could be a successful instructor. There was a 10-12 minutes lesson demo in front of three department chairmen, followed by a two minutes appearance in front of the school dean. That was enough for the candidate, me, to be accepted, despite the fact I had no prior teaching experience. This was a part time for me, a night job. A week later, I was teaching. I received no teaching training at all, except a couple of self-taught eLearning courses towards the end of my first quarter, mainly to learn how to motivate students and one on ethics and to learn more about the company. Well, I guess a Bachelors’, a Masters degree, and 15 years of work experience was sufficient for them. Again, I had no prior teaching experience. Instructor must show a commitment to continued education; this could be accomplished by taking a couple of eLearning courses in the year. The System - ITT is a profit driven school. Students pay a lot of money to get a degree (associate and also bachelor, depending on the school location). Because this is a for profit school, students are allowed to get away with many things they would not be allowed at the typical non-for profit colleges and universities. Students for instance, are allowed to make-up work and exams, that were due at the beginning of the term, sometimes even after the term is over, regardless of whether there was a valid excuse or the student was simply lazy to do the work. The focus is not on quality education, but on accommodating the students way so much in order to get them in the school and to pass the course. I had students plagiarizing all the time. After complaining to the department, there were still allowed to remain in the class. In one case, a student plagiarized three papers in three different occasions during a term. He deserved to be expelled from the class, but the department's chair allowed him to stay. The school doesn't make money if students are expelled; the school doesn’t want to discourage students from leaving the school. If they do, everyone's bonus (the chairman, the dean, and the school director), is impacted. So all the ethics you learn at the eLearning course they offer you, is simple a checkmark for the government. The school has a system that students get dropped after three consecutive absences; that's equivalent to being absent for three consecutive weeks (each class meets only once a week for 4.5 hours, including about 30 minutes break). So what do students do? They work around the system; many students missed two weeks of class, and then come to school the third week, and then disappear for another two, and so on. As a result, they don't learn, they fall behind, many fail the courses. At the end, the instructor is blamed for his student’s failure. Many of these students act as if they don't care about all the money they pay. In part, because a lot of these students have a very troubled background and don't really value an education; some are just going to school to keep the military money and financial aid money coming to their accounts. These students have no desire to get good grades, but simply to get a D (yes, a D) to pass the class and move on to the next class. Two of the courses that I taught require a lab. For one of the two courses, the lab was never equipped with the required tools and equipment to complete the lab work. The instruction from the department was to give students a grade of "99" if they couldn’t complete the lab due to lack of lab equipment. The second class I taught that required a lab every night for 10 weeks (out a total of 11 weeks for the quarter), we were asked by the department to do only 6 of those labs; in some cases, and a one week lab was extended two weeks. Again, for the missing lab, the chairman would say to give students a "99" as a grade for work they didn't complete. If you try to treat students with a decent level of responsibilities, enforce due dates, or not allowing them make-up for exams they missed without a valid reason (i.e., medical), they would go to the department and complain about the instructor not being flexible enough. In one case, I was removed from a class I was already scheduled to teach, simply because a few of the students registered in the class, my former students in another class, organized as group and complained to the dean/director about me. I heard that a couple of them said they would drop from the course if I would remain as the class instructor. These are some of the same students already caught plagiarizing whole documents in multiple occasions. As a new instructor, I'm sure I still have a lot of learning ahead of me. I can even take some of the blame for some of my students not doing better in my classes. Like everything in life, experience comes with practice. I thing I know for sure, I left my heart in the classroom, I taught with such a deep passion and caring for the student to learn, to be responsible and to be successful. Unfortunately, ITT showed me that the main concern is not to train instructors or to help student be responsible professionals. Their main concern was their shareholders.

upper management does not communicate well. Job is very easy for the pay you get

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
Wyoming, MI

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Prospay for the work you do

Consthe job is not very challenging

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

Excellent opportunity, learned a lot and gained valuable experience

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

ProsPays well, fairly relaxed work environment, great way to build experience

ConsBenefits are very expensive, the company has changed drastically. Management views employees as numbers

Advice to Senior ManagementLead your people, place people with the ability to make decisions in the positions of authority and then let them make decisions and lead their campus. Also, when an employee, or specifically a low level manager, isn't performing and is dragging down your campus, correct the issue. Start actually looking for results from your people and stop being so naïve

Work environment

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
Everett, WA

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPassion to help people change their lives with a degree

Consmicromanagement and employee turn over

Advice to Senior Managementfair with employee change cultural from being so negative

Worst experience of my life

Admissions Recruiter (Former Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for less than a year

ProsReally nothing, horrible staff , overworked

ConsHorrible management, worst environment that i ever worked in my life, hostile co-workers that lie on you. Stress of the lies, gossips and discrimination made me have a miscarriage . When i was hired i was told that i would work 2 saturdays per month, we had to work every saturday, it was the worst experience in my life

Overland Park Campus

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

ProsThe really try to help the the students and have an outstanding job placement

Consmay need larger facility due to rapid growth

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ITT Technical Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ITT Technical Institute CEO Kevin M. Modany. All 414 reviews posted anonymously by ITT Technical Institute employees.