ITT Technical Institute

ITT Technical Institute Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany

Kevin M. Modany

Pros:
  • "Pay was decent for no experience and no degree"
    in 13 reviews
  • "We actually CARE about education and helping students to be successful"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave"
    in 13 reviews
  • "There has been a shift of workload from full time instructors to chairs while the chair duties were unchanged"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Joke

Network Support (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at ITT Technical Institute as an intern for less than a year

ProsMy direct boos was awesome, but outside of that not much else.

ConsTo many to name and not enough space if I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to do your job.

Great interaction with the students

Electronics Adjunct (Current Employee)
Westminster, CO

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe students for the most part are here to learn, occasionally you get the student who is here because a parent said they had do something, anything, to live at home. One of the things I like best is that I continue to learn from the students since most are working in the field already.

ConsLocal administration is great, we’re treated like family. Corporate sees the business as a sales organization and not educational in nature. As such all decisions are based on how many seats can be filled and not how do we retain the students we have. The reps bring the students in, the instructors lose the students seems to be the prevailing view from on high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiding behind industry trade groups. Get out in front and do the right thing. Yes we have made mistakes in the past, put that behind you and move on. Be just as concerned with the students as you are with the stockholders. Without the students the stockholders wouldn’t give you the time of day.

Great place to learn to teach, but education is not the principle driver here.

Chair, School of Drafting and Design (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsSatisfactory salary but normally workload drags at this pro. The academics teams I worked with were very focused on helping students succeed and provided a very satisfying experience when those students graduated and were employed. There is a strong professional development e-learning program which will help you grow along with the help of other committed instructors.

ConsMy largest concern was towards the end I was unable to hire the team members I wanted if they did not "score" correctly on the employment test. Had I taken this new test, I doubt I would have ever been hired. There has been a shift of workload from full time instructors to chairs while the chair duties were unchanged. We had built a strong team of instructors prior to these changes and when we needed to recruit more, I faced a brick wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm unsure of the reasons for the 2012 changes, but full time instructors are critical to the successful development of adjuncts. Expecting chairs and deans to accomplish all you have tasked them with is unrealistic. I have seen the positive and negative affects the ITT experience can have on students, but if you truly focus on delivering on the very expensive product the students are paying for...then the business works. I strongly recommend the corporate team spend more time in classrooms and talking with students, both current and alumni.
    The Recruiting test is to restrictive, adjunct instructors can't be "too qualified" as I was repetitively told. Adjuncts are looking to help students and share their wealth of knowledge, not to advance career satisfaction. Give some leverage to your burdened deans and chairs to use their good judgement.

Part time IT Support

IT Support (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time for less than a year

ProsIts a paycheck
Close to classes, which is great when you have to run between classes

ConsLow hourly pay, scheduled hours that may not let you focus on classwork

Advice to Senior ManagementI know its academic here, but some respect to student employees wouldn't be too much to ask

Admissions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

ProsWorking with students to get them to recognize their potential

Consupper management is disconnected with what actually goes and there is practically no training

Advice to Senior Managementretire

upper management does not communicate well. Job is very easy for the pay you get

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
Wyoming, MI

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Prospay for the work you do

Consthe job is not very challenging

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

Excellent opportunity, learned a lot and gained valuable experience

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

ProsPays well, fairly relaxed work environment, great way to build experience

ConsBenefits are very expensive, the company has changed drastically. Management views employees as numbers

Advice to Senior ManagementLead your people, place people with the ability to make decisions in the positions of authority and then let them make decisions and lead their campus. Also, when an employee, or specifically a low level manager, isn't performing and is dragging down your campus, correct the issue. Start actually looking for results from your people and stop being so naïve

Work environment

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
Everett, WA

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPassion to help people change their lives with a degree

Consmicromanagement and employee turn over

Advice to Senior Managementfair with employee change cultural from being so negative

Autonomous work environment IF school policies, procedures, and chapter goals are met.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time for more than 5 years

ProsMajority of students are pleasant and motivated to learn.

ConsExtremely low faculty interaction; unreliable copiers; poor communication between management and staff; and staff to staff.
Instructor rehire dependent upon ratio of number of students that complete the course along with daily attendance regardless of cause.

Some of the students made it worthwhile

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time

ProsSome terrific students who are smart, motivated and looking to better their lives. They made classes engaging and fun and were a good contrast to some of the slackers that otherwise made up the herd.

ConsAt this location, sexist, chauvinistic dean who is a misogynist and plays favorites to the hilt. You will have 30 to 50+ students in class and be responsible for ALL of them at all times and you are held accountable if they are absent regardless of reason (absent students go against you as a black mark in your assessments because if students are not in class, it must be YOUR fault and you are not engaging them properly), and you are also blamed if those selfsame absent students are not learning (shame on you for not instructing students who are not actually in class!). You will also receive belittling emails, subjective reviews (especially if the dean does not like you, and he seems to pick at least one instructor a quarter to be the appointed whipping post while others break policy left and right without consequence) and the most minimal pay possible (I made more money as a bartender and received more respect). If it weren't for some of the good students, I would already be long gone from here and would never look back.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating the good instructors like garbage and driving them out the door and favoring the ones who don't want to actually teach. Clear out the upper management that think they are running a kingdom all their own and put in people who have the STUDENTS in mind (if we actually focused on students as ITT claims to, we would have a solid product).

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ITT Technical Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ITT Technical Institute CEO Kevin M. Modany. All 412 reviews posted anonymously by ITT Technical Institute employees.