ITT Technical Institute

ITT Technical Institute Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany

Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree(in 13 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave(in 16 reviews)

• upper management has unrealistic expectations, does not care about employees or students(in 22 reviews)

Don't Do ITT

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPaycheck, Co-workers, Nothing else really

ConsBenefits were bad and expensive, High turnover, A lot of stress for situations that were out of your control. Extereme pressure to make your numbers. Your enrolling people that you know are not going to make it through the whole program. You have individuals that are trying to convince people to go or stay in school who have never even graduated from college themselves. Feeling like that your job is always on the line and management was mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the whole organization. When people about getting fired, individuals are tempted to do things that may be unethical from the pressure.

Individuals don't matter

Sst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to work, great people, it is so fulfilling to work with the students.

ConsThe corporate office doesn't allow any deviation from their own broken curriculum. They don't allow great teachers to shine.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace NEW technology, understand that not everyone learns using the same methods.

I have a passion for teaching!

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI can be creative in finding new ways for students to 'get it'!

ConsFinding ways to motivate the unmotivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's spend more time on finding strategies to motivate students to show up on time...ALL the time!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Pure and Simple

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat boss, and co workers...relaxed at certain parts of the day.

ConsLots of calls to potential students with no solution. You are expected to have one conduct per week but, the nature of recruiting is sink or swim...

Advice to Senior ManagementReally nothing other than understand the type of work we are doing and people are unpredictable

Just OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWide variety of tasks and assignments; you don't get bored

ConsNot enough support for employees. Inconsistency in enforcing policy
    and procedures. Employees mostly looked out for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees better. Value them more.

It seems to be a sinking ship

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Thornton, CO

ProsThe peers you work with and the students

ConsThe hours, lack of support, unrealistic expectations, lack of staffing and general funk that sucks your soul

Advice to Senior ManagementTry talking to your employees and students. Listen to their feedback and treat them as if they are really valuable to you

Adjunct Instructor

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsExcellent work environment, flexible schedule

ConsNo full time professor positions.

All about the Benjamins baby

Functional Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDeveloping relationships with the students. Some of the co-workers along the way have been great.

ConsI don't think there is enough space to cover all of the Cons to working with this company so I will just mention a few. First thing I will cover is the compensation. I have worked with ITT Tech for 7 years. I started with them in a low-level hourly position and have moved up to a Functional Manager. I manage employees in my department. ALL of them have worked with ITT less than 2 years, ALL of them make more money than I do. Yes, you heard that correctly, the manager of a department makes less than his entire staff. ITT won't make any adjustments to my salary. I have to take all of the lumps and bruises from HQ, manage the staff, and produce results while my staff receives a bigger paycheck than I do.
    Another major issue for me is their recruiting practices. I have stood by while the Recruitment department incorporated extremely unethical practices to report huge enrollment numbers to our HQ. At our campus, perspective students are given a Wonderlic test in order to gain admission to the school. I have frequently seen the campus management change test scores so that they can push a perspective student through the enrollment process. That means we are changing test scores to enroll people that SHOULD NOT be enrolled. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I always found it strange how someone who is mentally challenged, Schizophrenic, homeless, unable to read/write, or just completely incapable of using modern technology would be able to gain admissions to our school. Guess it was the management changing test scores that caused us to enroll everyone I had just mentioned. We also enroll students with extensive criminal records and lie to them about the prospect of them gaining employment. The people that work in Career Services have made an effort to be a part of the recruiting process but they aren't allowed. Management is afraid that they will tell someone that has spent 20 years in jail that it may be difficult for them to find work in a tech-related field. So how would someone who is homeless or schizophrenic or mentally challenged or unable to read/write be able to sustain good enough grades to maintain satisfactory academic standing? I'll tell you why.
    The Academics department has flat out told me on several occasions that they push people through and give passing grades to those who do not deserve them. A department Chair told me that teachers are reprimanded for failing students. Besides that, students aren't challenged in any way. There is no accountability in the academics department. Students pass through with GPAs of 3.8, 3.9 and don't know anything about the curriculum they have completed.
    All in all, each department is pitted against each other. The metrics they are held against create an environment that is not conducive to learning. The 9, 10, 11, 12 hour work-days and the 6 day work-weeks also contribute to extreme amounts of stress.
    These have just been a few of the Cons I have experienced working with ITT Tech. I could keep going but I am sure I have conveyed my message effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overworking your staff. Ease up on the impossible-to-achieve metrics that create a stressful work environment. Incorporate better ways to ensure students are actually learning something.

THINK TWICE. YOU CAN DO BETTER.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Oxnard, CA

ProsPros:
    Occasional free lunches.
    SOME employees are decent and not back-stabbing.
    SOME competent people, depending upon the department and personnel.
    It's a paycheck.

ConsCons:
    Micro-management.
    Horrendous working hours, which equates to a very poor work/life balance.
    Bottom line is $$, not the students.
    Your job will be in jeopardy if you do not “Make your numbers”.
    A traditional, uptight, conservative working environment.
    Favoritism.
    Very bureaucratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior Management: Unfortunately, my advice will fall upon “deaf ears”. ITT Technical Institute’s main objective is to earn profits for its executives and shareholders. However, when it is at the expense of students, the students' quality of education, and its employees, the school's reputation and overall success will/has faltered. -The students overall success, the quality of education, and the institute’s staff and employees are the most important priorities the school ought to pursue; this should be ITT Tech's main focus, not executive and shareholder greed.

Due to ITT Tech's autocratic, hierarchical, conservative, corporate business model, and preoccupation with profit, a hostile and toxic working environment tends to prevail. Due to said working environment, a high turnover rate amongst its employees is typically as well as a very undesirable place to work. -Initiate change in the school's traditional and conservative business model into a more hospitable working environment.

ITT Technical Institute’s tuition is exceedingly high. Furthermore, there was/are always an annual increase in the school's tuition. The return on investment (ROI) for the students at ITT Tech is inadequate. This may be evidenced by the student loans the students are burdened with, their associated salaries upon graduation, the types of employment the students are placed in, a lack of job placement for many prospective students, as well as many other negative facts. -Decrease the amount of tuition the school charges. Provide more grants and scholarships for students, and stop your corporate greed.

No regard for employees at all

Director of Career Services (Former Employee)

ProsSometimes the students make it worth it. They are the only ones you get appreciation from most of the time

ConsIncredible pressure, no assistance. All departments have conflicting goals that cause them to work against each other as opposed to together. You ARE replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care about people who aren't at HQ. you wouldn't be where you are if it wasn't for them.

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!