ITT Technical Institute Reviews

Reset
2.5
ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• Helping students is very satisfying to me (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • HQ and poor management ruin work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

1. I would not send my dog to work for this employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A steady pay check. Some students wanted to learn and succeed upon graduation. Going home at the end of the day.

Cons

I have never in my life worked in such a hostile and toxic work environment. The goals you are expected to reach are unattainable and unreachable. Teachers are evaluated on student attendance and how many pass. Where I went to school when I was a student I was evaluated on that, not my teacher. They have turned education on its head.

The turnover at my location was over the top. In A little over 2 1/2 years I saw the following: 2 campus directors, 3 directors of recruiting (one resigned with no notice), 3 directors of finance, 4 associate deans, 2 deans, 3 program chairs (one resigned without notice). All of these who moved on can not be wrong. ITT is the common denominator.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people as if they are replaceable. Stop brow beating people over number they have no control or ability to reach. The recent events in the media have sullied your image. Every person who fire for not reaching unattainable numbers or resigns due to the toxic environment has become an ambassador to tell anyone who would could consider enrolling in ITT exactly what you stand for.

For 18 months the members of the program advisory committee recommended spending less than $70.00 on a set of books that would be placed in the library for the students to use. This recommendation was rejected by the dean each time. You have not problem taking tens of thousands of dollars from these students, but are unwilling to spend less than $70.00 on a resource the advisory committee recommended for 18 months.

Keep doing what you are doing and you will go the way of other for profit schools that are no longer in business.

2. Sales position

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Co-workers were great. It was nice interacting with the students as well.

Cons

Hard to contact people truly looking to advance their education. Selling prospective students on the cost of education there was near impossible as well. I would go home each day conflicted about my responsibilities as well. It was hard to talk to an individual about such expensive schooling when they could go to a community college for a fraction of the price.

3. Director of career services

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few wonderful co workers that held the moral ground.

Cons

Sketchy director, shady educational group

Advice to Management

Appreciate the folks who work so hard for you.

5. Used to be a positive atmosphere a few years back

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Not many pros at all other than made some relationships that have outlasted the actual job

Cons

Benefits are horrible. Micro managed and company cares more about their pockets than employees. No matter how well you do you are always told that you can do better and it's not enough. Everything is a numbers game and tuition is expensive not worth the money for what you receive. Very high turnover rate of employees. Getting raises is basically none to nothing.

Advice to Management

Value your employees especially ones that have helped your company and have produced and helped improve your numbers.

6. Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Representative in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Representative in Pitts, PA

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment for certain market segments

Cons

Cult-like,Stepford Wives type employee training

Advice to Management

Eliminate scripted sales pitch
    Be confident enough to admit there are other education alternatives

7. Awful

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

They bring in food a lot.

Cons

Be prepared to work a lot of Saturdays and a lot of late nights. They have no respect for the employee and all they care about is the bottom dollar.

Advice to Management

Run!

Do not recommend

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were the only thing that was positive about this opportunity.

Cons

This job has unobtainable metrics and therefore has a constant problem with turnover. Employees are disposable at ITT Technical Institute and are treated as such. It also has a lot of cold calling and scheduling appointments which hardly ever show up which ultimately is your fault. I do not recommend this company even to people I don't like.

Advice to Management

Lower costs, stop scamming the system and start caring about people students and employees alike.

SEC was right in charging this company with fraud

Current Employee - Functional Manager
    Current Employee - Functional Manager

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There aren't many. I guess pay is decent but the way they handle raises and promotions is borderline illegal.

Cons

Cons? The whole process is a con. It's a degree mill where I am at. Can't read? That's ok, we will have a member of the staff "review" your admissions test for accuracy. Once you enroll in school, you still can't read? That's ok, just show up every day and we will pass you in all of your classes. You'll graduate our fine university with a degree you can't even read.

Advice to Management

Stop the unethical practices. If you are one of the people doing the right thing, stand up and say something. There is an atmosphere of shadiness around this company and it needs to be addressed.

10. Admissions Recruiter

Former Employee - Educational Recruiter
    Former Employee - Educational Recruiter

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Fun co-workers and that is it!

Cons

Hours, Working here made me feel like I was in an abusive relationship! It's a scam. Recruiters are trained to trick students into debt! They make you come to work even when you are sick and as a result the sick. I would not recommend my worst enemy to this place!

Advice to Management

Shut the place down!

Worst Company I've worked for, very unethical

Former Employee - Educational Recruiter in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Educational Recruiter in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at ITT Technical Institute (More than a year)

Pros

There was often free food, and they have high deductible insurance plans available, which are great for people who are young and healthy. It's easy to get hired here.

Cons

There are so many. It's a school that operates like a used car lot. Reps are encouraged to do or say anything to get students to sign up. There is little support from management. There is also little opportunity for advancement or pay increases. You end up feeling bad for the students who you enroll because you know the school is a joke. You feel like a predator, taking advantage of undereducated people who can't recognize what a scam this school is...all of your calls will be to poor minorities. Your job is to convince them that ITT Tech will change their lives for the better. This is never the case. It is a scam and a sham. I am not a disgruntled employee. I left voluntarily, although i saw many reps get fired for not hitting enrollment numbers. This place is a boiler room not a school. I did not have a problem finding a new job but other people have told me that ITT Tech is a stain on their resume.

RSS Feed </> Embed