ITT Technical Institute

ITT Technical Institute Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany

Kevin M. Modany

Pros:
  • "Pay was decent for no experience and no degree"
    in 17 reviews
  • "ability to help people change their life by getting them to further their education"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no work/life balance because its like you work 6 days a week"
    in 11 reviews
  • "upper management is disconnected with what actually goes and there is practically no training"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

All about the Benjamins baby

Functional Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDeveloping relationships with the students. Some of the co-workers along the way have been great.

ConsI don't think there is enough space to cover all of the Cons to working with this company so I will just mention a few. First thing I will cover is the compensation. I have worked with ITT Tech for 7 years. I started with them in a low-level hourly position and have moved up to a Functional Manager. I manage employees in my department. ALL of them have worked with ITT less than 2 years, ALL of them make more money than I do. Yes, you heard that correctly, the manager of a department makes less than his entire staff. ITT won't make any adjustments to my salary. I have to take all of the lumps and bruises from HQ, manage the staff, and produce results while my staff receives a bigger paycheck than I do.
Another major issue for me is their recruiting practices. I have stood by while the Recruitment department incorporated extremely unethical practices to report huge enrollment numbers to our HQ. At our campus, perspective students are given a Wonderlic test in order to gain admission to the school. I have frequently seen the campus management change test scores so that they can push a perspective student through the enrollment process. That means we are changing test scores to enroll people that SHOULD NOT be enrolled. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I always found it strange how someone who is mentally challenged, Schizophrenic, homeless, unable to read/write, or just completely incapable of using modern technology would be able to gain admissions to our school. Guess it was the management changing test scores that caused us to enroll everyone I had just mentioned. We also enroll students with extensive criminal records and lie to them about the prospect of them gaining employment. The people that work in Career Services have made an effort to be a part of the recruiting process but they aren't allowed. Management is afraid that they will tell someone that has spent 20 years in jail that it may be difficult for them to find work in a tech-related field. So how would someone who is homeless or schizophrenic or mentally challenged or unable to read/write be able to sustain good enough grades to maintain satisfactory academic standing? I'll tell you why.
The Academics department has flat out told me on several occasions that they push people through and give passing grades to those who do not deserve them. A department Chair told me that teachers are reprimanded for failing students. Besides that, students aren't challenged in any way. There is no accountability in the academics department. Students pass through with GPAs of 3.8, 3.9 and don't know anything about the curriculum they have completed.
All in all, each department is pitted against each other. The metrics they are held against create an environment that is not conducive to learning. The 9, 10, 11, 12 hour work-days and the 6 day work-weeks also contribute to extreme amounts of stress.
These have just been a few of the Cons I have experienced working with ITT Tech. I could keep going but I am sure I have conveyed my message effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overworking your staff. Ease up on the impossible-to-achieve metrics that create a stressful work environment. Incorporate better ways to ensure students are actually learning something.

THINK TWICE. YOU CAN DO BETTER.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
Oxnard, CA

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsPros:
Occasional free lunches.
SOME employees are decent and not back-stabbing.
SOME competent people, depending upon the department and personnel.
It's a paycheck.

ConsCons:
Micro-management.
Horrendous working hours, which equates to a very poor work/life balance.
Bottom line is $$, not the students.
Your job will be in jeopardy if you do not “Make your numbers”.
A traditional, uptight, conservative working environment.
Favoritism.
Very bureaucratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior Management: Unfortunately, my advice will fall upon “deaf ears”. ITT Technical Institute’s main objective is to earn profits for its executives and shareholders. However, when it is at the expense of students, the students' quality of education, and its employees, the school's reputation and overall success will/has faltered. -The students overall success, the quality of education, and the institute’s staff and employees are the most important priorities the school ought to pursue; this should be ITT Tech's main focus, not executive and shareholder greed.

Due to ITT Tech's autocratic, hierarchical, conservative, corporate business model, and preoccupation with profit, a hostile and toxic working environment tends to prevail. Due to said working environment, a high turnover rate amongst its employees is typically as well as a very undesirable place to work. -Initiate change in the school's traditional and conservative business model into a more hospitable working environment.

ITT Technical Institute’s tuition is exceedingly high. Furthermore, there was/are always an annual increase in the school's tuition. The return on investment (ROI) for the students at ITT Tech is inadequate. This may be evidenced by the student loans the students are burdened with, their associated salaries upon graduation, the types of employment the students are placed in, a lack of job placement for many prospective students, as well as many other negative facts. -Decrease the amount of tuition the school charges. Provide more grants and scholarships for students, and stop your corporate greed.

Get out while you can

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost coworkers are great because we are all in the same miserable boat together. Outside of that working at Wal-Mart would be a better alternative.

ConsManagement was the worst. There was no strong leadership just drones trying to get everyone to drink the ITT kool-aid.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a class in leadership management

No regard for employees at all

Director of Career Services (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsSometimes the students make it worth it. They are the only ones you get appreciation from most of the time

ConsIncredible pressure, no assistance. All departments have conflicting goals that cause them to work against each other as opposed to together. You ARE replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care about people who aren't at HQ. you wouldn't be where you are if it wasn't for them.

UNETHICAL, Unachievable Metrics, All about Money

Functional Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey pay well for the most part.

ConsITT Misleads people who cannot afford to go there into registering and getting outlandish student loans to pay incredibly high tuition. Falsely promise incoming students high paying jobs. Educational curriculum for many programs is substandard. Unethical recruiting practices.
Company does not care about their employees or students - it's all about money. Upper level management at Headquarters is a good old boys club. Employee metrics required are unachievable and set people up for failure. They'll hire and fire about anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower tuition by about 1/3, raise standards, increase quality of curriculum significantly, stop screwing your employees and students. Allow more women into corporate management positions.

Not a good place to work

Academic Administration (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone - paycheck would be, however compensation was below market.

ConsCorporate management changes direction frequently in addressing education processes and faculty and academic administration are overworked. My "can't do this" moment came when it was apparent that the campus was making money but administration did not want to support paying for additional services for students who needed help to succeed.

Faculty and academic administration are given extremely heavy workloads and 60 hour weeks are not uncommon for full time academic staff.

To compound the challenges of educating students who were frequently unpreparedm most management came from sales, not educatio,n backgrounds and lacked basic knowledge of academics. One manager told students repeatedly that "a bachelor degree was a terminal degree."

In addition to the workplace pressures, cronyism was rampant..

This is a factory, not an educational environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducation cannot be managed like a factory.

poor place for instructor

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute as a contractor

Prosno pros in this place

Consthe administration is too bad

Advice to Senior Managementshould focus on academic quality

Not a 'students first college

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute for more than 5 years

ProsOrganized system, old soft wares but good tracking of student success.
Training for employees is good.
Nice place to learn.
Generally programs are good.

ConsCorporate dictates everything, promises are made, not kept and then denied citing the contractual fine print. Not regionally accredited! Lives almost entirely off of the government. Has a loan program that they say is not really a loan which sinks students so far in debt, they cannot get out, transcripts are held hostage, credits unlikely to transfer so if you are in an associate degree program where do you go next?? Many students have useless degrees and have to go elsewhere to get a four year degree in many cases starting over.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop your prices, get regionally accredited and become a real college that looks out for the students before the stockholders! Michael L. is gone and that is a good thing, Kevin M. dumped a bunch of his stock after exercising options, time for a change!

Extremely greedy CEO-Kevin M. Modany has ruined the quality of an ITT Tech education.

Student Representative (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEmployees that care
Some students are a perfect fit for ITT model.

ConsForcing,coercing,manipulating students to enroll is the unspoken mantra of HQ. Company wide Senior Student Reps were let go almost entirely due to not forcing enough students to enroll. The company has nearly eliminated all full time teaching positions(sans Nursing, most state boards will not allow them too) so adjunct teachers make same teaching 10 students as they get for teaching a section of 30 plus students. Students forced into online classes that came to ITT to get classroom teacher instruction and attention. The Nursing programs are the only thing keeping some of the campus open. The one program that state oversight keeps HQ from gutting the quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal campus management have their hands tied by HQ.
The abject greed and tone deaf "leaders" of HQ will be the downfall of this company. Very sad as there are some very very dedicated educators and employees at the various campus.
Greed and arrogance ruined a very good company. Truly a perfect example why the "for profit" education companies are under fire.

Educational Recruiter

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people in the recruitment department were easy to get along with. My coworkers were the best part of working there. We had to bond with each other to make it through such a toxic environment.

ConsLet me start by saying I am not a disgruntled employee. I was not fired. I do not have a personal vendetta against the school or anyone who works there. The truth is that ITT is a sham of a college. Prospective employees AND prospective students should research thoroughly before starting at ITT.

ITT is more like a factory than a school. Students' needs are always second to company profits. From an admissions perspective, students are numbers not people. They will enroll anyone who can breathe. I have personally witnessed people who can not read/write be admitted into this school. They will take ANYONE as long as they qualify for federal student loans. They are cheating the students AND ripping the government off at the same time. They specifically target low income, low information individuals and convince them that a 45k associate's degree will somehow solve all their problems. More often than not what happens is that students sign up for loans, never graduate (because they had a slim chance from the start) and get stuck with debt and no degree. The facilities and equipment appear to be from the 80s, yet the commercials depict a high tech, state of the art environment.

They have an 'any means necessary' method of recruiting. Everyday in the recruitment department was a struggle between maintaining my personal integrity and successfully doing my job. Admissions reps are taught to LIE and sell dreams to people who don't know any better. It's a sad situation to be in.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some integrity. Do not force employees to work mandatory 6 day work weeks.

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ITT Technical Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ITT Technical Institute CEO Kevin M. Modany. All 411 reviews posted anonymously by ITT Technical Institute employees.