ITT Technical Institute

Updated January 27, 2015
2.3

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave (in 21 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good employer

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fair, consistent, good technology in the classrooms, always helpful and somewhat flexible for schedule

Cons

a lot of hurdles to get the job, have to stay on top of several levels of professional development for adjunct positions

Not Family Friendly

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Meeting new individuals, and providing the first step to helping someone further their career and/or life goals by attending a higher learning institute.

Cons

It was very difficult working for the Directors that were there at the time. The work environment, in my opinion was very hostile. I was there at the Springfield campus back in 2010, I believe. The environment may have gotten better with new employees.

Treat your employees with the same kindness as you would expect they treat you and ITT clientele.

Awesome environment to work

Current Employee - Registration & Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Registration & Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to gain experience in your field of education. The staff is extremely very helpful and welcoming. Everyday you are introduced to new aspects of the job, which keeps you engaged and excited to come to work.

Cons

I don't have any cons to share. As an intern I've only had positive experiences here.

Keep up the great work!

Title

Current Employee - Chula Vista
    Current Employee - Chula Vista

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Money is good enough for work

Cons

can not think of any cons

Enjoy the people I work with. Too much control from headquarters hinders efficiency at local level.

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Opportunity to advance if willing to wait.

Cons

Pay is low and micro management can be frustrating

Change leadership style. Decentralized hierarchy of upper management. Train more leaders at local/regional level.

The company is very mission driven.

Former Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

During my time there i had no complains, I would go back if i was not relocating to be near family.

Cons

I would not waste time around the water cooler and get your job done early so you can leave on time

Education Rep

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good group of people to work with. Everyone is helpful.

Cons

Leads are retreaded- years back.

none

Front Desk Admin

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, VA

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can go to school for a discounted price, there are good teachers nice career center.

Cons

Management isn't willing to compromise your hours and will make you work on night shifts. They micro manage and show favoritism. They are open rain sleet hair or snow.There raise is 5-1- cent no matter how long you are there. The dean was very hard to get in contact with. There are plenty of staff issues.

Be fair to all employees

Toxic Workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Met some wonderful people. There are some people who really care about helping students. I can not think of too many other positives with this toxic employer with the exception of a paycheck.

Cons

This is the most toxic place I have ever worked in my life. I would not suggest an enemy work for this employer. You are constantly held accountable over things you have no control over, such as student attendance and grades. When I went to school I was held accountable if I failed a class, not the teacher!

Stop ruling my fear and intimidation. Stop holding people accountable for things they have no control over such as reentries, attendance, and grades. If a student has moved out of the area because their spouse got transferred we have no control over that. If a student is too lazy to come to class they probably will not pass. You attempt to put this at the feet of the faculty is unacceptable and inappropriate. You can take a horse to water, but can not make it drink.

I understand that the job of faculty is to motivate and engage students. Your presumption that every student can be reached is disingenuous and naïve. I had a number of students pick up new criminal cases after they started attending at ITT. I have seen students on probation that have to choose between fulfilling obligations for their probation or school. If they do not comply with probation they will go back to jail! I have also seen instructors castigated by the administration over the attendance rates in their classes when 2 of the 4 students in the class are in this situation. As far as the administration was concerned 50% of the class is missing too much. Something must be wrong with the instructor! In one case a pregnant student dropped and did not come back. Is family planning something that the faculty should be responsible for? If a student drops for ANY reason the faculty member / chair is held responsible.

Regardless of the number of people you hire you will not be able to find someone who can control these and other related events that occur away from the school. What is the actual cost to hire someone? The time of management screening resumes, setting up interviews, conducting interviews, background checks, the time HR and payroll spends processing someone in as a new hire. You are looking to hire a "purple cow." (Purple cows obviously do not exist.) The administration at our campus seemed to think if we just keep hiring people, maybe we will find a purple cow. Regardless of the number of people you hire, nobody can control the behavior of students outside of ITT.

great when its good, awful when its bad.

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in North Charleston, SC

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Employee recognition; you will always have tons of coffee! Location is decent.

Cons

Leads are AWFUL! hours can be a drag working until 9PM and the prospective students do have criminal histories.

Bring in new programs that are in demand for the Charleston market. Whenever the chairman of each discipline leaves, upper management needs to talk to the Director of the campus.

ITT Technical Institute Photos