ITT Technical Institute

Updated January 22, 2015
2.3

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave (in 21 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Environment and supportive management team

Cons

Hours and training needs much improvement

Game Development Curricula

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having a game development curricula at all was great - in one of the texts I even found a quote by me from the days when I was a game developer at Raven Software!

Cons

Some of the text material was badly out of date (6 months in the games biz is out of date, but some books were 10 years old and didn't even mention new technology). Also had little flexibility in shaping the materials (other than additions I made) and had to test strictly from the book.

For cutting edge areas like game development, allow instructors to update and enhance the teaching materials with the latest information - it's the best way to teach kids who probably know a lot more about the games than some of the instructors...

student from itt tech va

Current Employee - Systems Support Technician in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Support Technician in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

interact with proffesional ideas,try to see if we can invent something or creat a solution facing in the field of technology

Cons

make sure that every thing is solve or has a solution

try to see that the company is in good condition by managing it,and promoting its improvement

Toxic Workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Met some wonderful people. There are some people who really care about helping students. I can not think of too many other positives with this toxic employer with the exception of a paycheck.

Cons

This is the most toxic place I have ever worked in my life. I would not suggest an enemy work for this employer. You are constantly held accountable over things you have no control over, such as student attendance and grades. When I went to school I was held accountable if I failed a class, not the teacher!

Stop ruling my fear and intimidation. Stop holding people accountable for things they have no control over such as reentries, attendance, and grades. If a student has moved out of the area because their spouse got transferred we have no control over that. If a student is too lazy to come to class they probably will not pass. You attempt to put this at the feet of the faculty is unacceptable and inappropriate. You can take a horse to water, but can not make it drink.

I understand that the job of faculty is to motivate and engage students. Your presumption that every student can be reached is disingenuous and naïve. I had a number of students pick up new criminal cases after they started attending at ITT. I have seen students on probation that have to choose between fulfilling obligations for their probation or school. If they do not comply with probation they will go back to jail! I have also seen instructors castigated by the administration over the attendance rates in their classes when 2 of the 4 students in the class are in this situation. As far as the administration was concerned 50% of the class is missing too much. Something must be wrong with the instructor! In one case a pregnant student dropped and did not come back. Is family planning something that the faculty should be responsible for? If a student drops for ANY reason the faculty member / chair is held responsible.

Regardless of the number of people you hire you will not be able to find someone who can control these and other related events that occur away from the school. What is the actual cost to hire someone? The time of management screening resumes, setting up interviews, conducting interviews, background checks, the time HR and payroll spends processing someone in as a new hire. You are looking to hire a "purple cow." (Purple cows obviously do not exist.) The administration at our campus seemed to think if we just keep hiring people, maybe we will find a purple cow. Regardless of the number of people you hire, nobody can control the behavior of students outside of ITT.

Try not to stay too long...

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any pros except for it's a paycheck and sometimes the campus staff can make the job a little more tolerable.

Cons

Work-life balance feels nonexistent more often than not and rather similar to retail hours- lots of nights, weekends, and holidays.

The majority of the staff at HQ is extremely rude. While I'm sure they are understaffed, overworked, and under appreciated, it still does not excuse the fact that they are nasty and have a tendency to make employees not want to reach out to them for much needed support and guidance. Consistency and positive leadership do not seem to be high priorities for them which leads to high turnover rate on campuses.

As a "technical" institute, it's embarrassing that our computer systems are outdated and highly prone to glitches.

Wake up and treat your employees and students better! Focus more on quality education, curriculum, and staff instead of being more concerned with the bottom-line.

If cut-backs need to be made to save money, it would be nice to start with the senior management making over six figures with ludicrous bonuses. You cannot expect people on campus to be enthusiastic about taking on multiple positions (e.g. Registrar/Director of Finance or Dean/Registrar hybrid positions) because a "reduction in force" needs to be done across the country every few months.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Library Assistant
    Former Employee - Library Assistant

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Nice coworkers, that's about it

Cons

Complete mismanagement of policy and priorities

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping students realize their potential and working towards their dreams.

Cons

Pay and benefits. Company doesn't treat employees like they want them to be successful.

Good opportunity to transition to a better position

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Necessary resources for class delivery provided, friendly and helpful environment.

Cons

Low salary and long teaching hours. Responsibility of student retention placed mainly on the instructor.

Provide better compensation to instructors and reduce paperwork not directly related to class delivery.

Educational recruitee

Former Employee - Educational Recruiter
    Former Employee - Educational Recruiter

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The commections I made. Steady paycheck

Cons

Attaining enrollment goals. Pitching high cost associates degree to potential students. A lot of pressure to reach goals and insufficient tools. This is a sales job - don't be fooled

Offer better tools to all recruiters to make them successful.

Representative

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Helping students and having nice people to work with.

Cons

The pressure to meet a quota. No time for a life outside of work. Crazy hours.

More on campus activities